Adrian Beltre becomes first player from DR to reach 3000 career hits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:47:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Adrian Beltre becomes first player from DR to reach 3000 career hits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Adrian Beltre becomes first player from DR to reach 3000 career hits  (Read 230 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/beltre-doubles-for-3-000th-hit-1st-from-dominican-to-do-it-073017

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And as far as I'm aware, no Performance Enhancing Drugs.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 09:50:18 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Huh? He's on the 2003 list? But that doesn't really matter much to me - at least not compared to guys like Bonds and Clemens who would appear to have character issues above and beyond that. And it especially won't matter to the voters because of the results across his career and the years which it spanned vs. the controversy.

Always liked Beltre, but he never felt like a Hall of Famer. Most of that likely has to be that the peak of my baseball fandom was about 2000-2009 (or maybe 2011). During that time period - theoretically a period which should have covered a lot of a player's peak, he was OPS'ing just 7% above league average, which is really nothing to write home about! Of course the second half of the career resurrection was legendary, but a four-time all-star is hardly among the most feared and dominant players in the league, MLB all-star selection flaws and all.

On the brink of 500 HRs, which I really hope he manages. Guess he'll be going into the Hall with a Texas hat on? That'll be a shame! Congrats anyway!

Personally, I think I would support Scott Rolen slightly ahead of him on my 'ballot'. Both are deserving (and great defensive players to boot!) but I like the feared dominance, consistency and (perhaps unfairly) the 2006 World Series performance over counting stats. (Again, Rolen was a significantly better performer over the period when I was most obsessively tuned in. Biased!) First ballot Rolen and Beltre a bit later on.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »

Huh? He's on the 2003 list? But that doesn't really matter much to me - at least not compared to guys like Bonds and Clemens who would appear to have character issues above and beyond that. And it especially won't matter to the voters because of the results across his career and the years which it spanned vs. the controversy.

Always liked Beltre, but he never felt like a Hall of Famer. Most of that likely has to be that the peak of my baseball fandom was about 2000-2009 (or maybe 2011). During that time period - theoretically a period which should have covered a lot of a player's peak, he was OPS'ing just 7% above league average, which is really nothing to write home about! Of course the second half of the career resurrection was legendary, but a four-time all-star is hardly among the most feared and dominant players in the league, MLB all-star selection flaws and all.

On the brink of 500 HRs, which I really hope he manages. Guess he'll be going into the Hall with a Texas hat on? That'll be a shame! Congrats anyway!

Personally, I think I would support Scott Rolen slightly ahead of him on my 'ballot'. Both are deserving (and great defensive players to boot!) but I like the feared dominance, consistency and (perhaps unfairly) the 2006 World Series performance over counting stats. (Again, Rolen was a significantly better performer over the period when I was most obsessively tuned in. Biased!) First ballot Rolen and Beltre a bit later on.
To me, both Rolen and Beltré are first-ballot HOFers to me. Rolen's teammate Jim Edmonds being on the HOF ballot for just one year was a massive travesty. Edmonds may or may not have made it in over the 10 years, but him being a one-and-done is a joke.
As for hats: Rolen as a Cardinal and Beltré as a Ranger.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies