Opinion of Bernie Sanders voting against russia sanctions bill?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:38:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of Bernie Sanders voting against russia sanctions bill?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Opinion of Bernie Sanders voting against russia sanctions bill?  (Read 2872 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »

Him and Rand were the only two no's.

Now, I don't buy Mensch's conspiracy theory that Bernie was also being guided by russians during the campaign, but isn't it at least plausible that they would have tried to make hillary look bad as soon as possible, starting in the primary cycle?

Also, while I am trying not to paint with a broad brush, it seems like a lot of bernie fans, whether on reddit or on twitter, seem to not be as considered about the russia stuff as other people on the left.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:52:42 PM »

Sanders voted against the sanctions bill because it could lead to Iran walking back from the nuclear deal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »

Sanders voted against the sanctions bill because it could lead to Iran walking back from the nuclear deal.
Which was my main concern with this bill too, tho I never looked into its details enough to come to a definite opinion. Still, if I were a Congresscritter, that would've been my most likely reason to consider opposing it.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »

Obviously a good move (doesn't get off on murdering Iranians)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:21:55 PM »

HP
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2017, 08:38:00 PM by Jacobin American »

^^ This

Also, while I am trying not to paint with a broad brush, it seems like a lot of bernie fans, whether on reddit or on twitter, seem to not be as considered about the russia stuff as other people on the left.

Personally, I'm pretty tired of hearing about the Russia/Trump issue and primarily find it to be a distraction from more substantive issues. And yes, I'm a staunch Bernie supporter (and no longer identify as a Democrat). I'd rather we form a better relationship with Russia and start a constructive dialogue.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »

Hewlett Packard(Iran=Nazis who will destroy the universe)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:32 PM »

Eh
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 12:07:12 AM »

Russia definitely needs to be sanctioned further for their interference in 2016 election, but I don't really know enough about this bill to have an opinion.

What exactly does it have to do with Iran and the nuclear deal?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 12:29:03 AM »

COLLUSION WITH THE RUSSIANS!!!!

Or perhaps he has a soft spot in his heart for his honeymoon wonderland of Soyuz Sovyetskikh Sotsialistcheskikh Respublik
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 12:34:30 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 12:36:25 AM by Shadows »

#Fake Question. The question is loaded & has false information. This is why Conservatives & right leaning people are flat out idiots & constantly come up with lies & conspiracy theories.

He didn't vote against Russian Sanctions (which he said he supports), he voted against newer sanctions against both Russia & Iran which came combined in the same bill. Iran just had their parliament or something attacked by ISIS with many dying & they are complying fully with the nuclear deal.

Bernie said this puts the Nuclear deal in jeopardy and it is terrible to apply sanctions on Iran just after ISIS butchered many Iranians (He asked Senate to pause on Iranian sanctions). It is a sad day when 98 Senators chose to vote terribly on this issue.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 12:54:42 AM »

Just goes to show how utterly out of touch he is with the average american. #SCOTTMILNEFORVTSENATE2018
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 01:07:27 AM »

Just goes to show how utterly out of touch he is with the average american. #SCOTTMILNEFORVTSENATE2018

Lol Bernie hasn't been beaten in Vermont aince 1990, and you ain't beating him now unless Third Wayers pump millions into the race, and even then, you'd likely lose.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 01:19:44 AM »

Just to refresh your memory, Democratic Primary 2016 -

State           Type           Hillary Clinton        Bernie Sanders
Vermont  Open primary   18,338 (13.6%)     115,900 (85.7%)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 01:21:15 AM »

Lol Bernie hasn't been beaten in Vermont aince 1990, and you ain't beating him now unless Third Wayers pump millions into the race, and even then, you'd likely lose.

I'm hoping Ossoff moves to Vermont and spends $30 million. It would be hilarious.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 01:23:45 AM »

^^ This

Personally, I'm pretty tired of hearing about the Russia/Trump issue and primarily find it to be a distraction from more substantive issues. And yes, I'm a staunch Bernie supporter (and no longer identify as a Democrat). I'd rather we form a better relationship with Russia and start a constructive dialogue.
Really? I mean really? After Jr's emails you are still are dismissive of the Trump/Russia? Just how bad does this have to get for hard leftists like you or Jfern to stop covering your ears on this?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 04:49:35 AM »

Good decision by Bernard. It's a bad bill and should not be enacted into law. Iran is not violating the treaty, I see no reason to impose further sanctions. On Russia, I don't know enough how and when they exactly interfered to make a serious determination. As of now, I think it may be counterproductive. From a European perspective, I'm opposed to the bill because it may hurt the German economy (German federal government doesn't approve the sanctions for good reasons).
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 06:31:56 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 06:35:40 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

FF.

Lumping Russian sanctions in together with those on Iran as a strategy to get bipartisan support for neocon foreign policy is deplorable.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 08:40:37 AM »

^^ This

Really? I mean really? After Jr's emails you are still are dismissive of the Trump/Russia? Just how bad does this have to get for hard leftists like you or Jfern to stop covering your ears on this?

I don't want to derail this thread, so this will be my only response on this particular subject.

Claiming that someone like me is "covering [my] ears on this" assumes that I either haven't kept up with the latest developments in this case or that I refuse to believe it for whatever reason. Both of those assumptions would be incorrect. I keep up with the latest allegations (and yes, it's still at the allegation stage, although it seems rather doubtful some kind of collusion didn't happen); I just don't particularly care. Russia wasn't successful in hacking into our electoral system and altering any results; at worst Trump committed a crime by obtaining the help of a foreign power. Personally, I don't see how that's substantively worse than the Republican voter suppression tactics or, especially, the systematic buying of our elections and representatives' votes by wealthy interests. The research has already shown wealthy interests get what they want without regard to the desires of the voters. So, I'm supposed to be more outraged by the influence of some foreign power than the systematic purchasing of our elected officials by wealthy domestic interests, why? Because of nationalist or patriotic sentiments? If the US hadn't spent the '90s and, arguably, Clinton's term as Secretary of State, trying to manipulate and control Russian politics and elections then they might not have wanted to meddle in ours. We've overthrown and meddled in the internal politics of countless countries; you can't do that forever and not expect someone to return the favor.

So, no, I'm not outraged like you guys. Politicians are bought and cater to special interests; suddenly I'm supposed to be more outraged because it might've been Russia rather than Goldman Sachs, Koch Industries, or some other domestic corporation? All of them are equally enemies of the public interest in my book. And all of this outrage seems a bit hypocritical considering what we've done overseas.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »

I'm hoping Ossoff moves to Vermont and spends $30 million. It would be hilarious.

And then lose by 25-40 points
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »

I really wish people would get over this strawman that there is a serious effort to primary Bernie in 2018. And no, some random nobody filing to run against him is not proof that there is.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »

Clear HP. Just like Barack Obama, he clearly is carrying water for the Iranian regime's propaganda and doesn't want them held to account for their violent actions and aspirations to genocide.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »

And then lose by 25-40 points

Hillary Clinton lost by 73% in VT to Bernie, so....
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »

Clear HP. Just like Barack Obama, he clearly is carrying water for the Iranian regime's propaganda and doesn't want them held to account for their violent actions and aspirations to genocide.

Yeah, the Iranian regime is trash, but singling them out for that while shipping weapons and palling around with the Saudis and other Gulf States is extremely hypocritical. Iran is less of a threat than those Wahhabist regimes that outsource their propaganda globally by funding radical madrasas and mosques throughout Europe, Asia, and Africa, which have resulted in globalized extremism, such as the Salafis in Europe, ISIS in the ME, and Boko Haram in Africa. The only reason people like you turn a blind eye to that extremism and have a hardon for Iran is the Iranian anti-Zionist and anti-Semitic propaganda, which the others have been more willing to suppress for geopolitical interests.

Iran isn't an extremist country; its citizens are among the most secular and moderate in the Middle East, largely because they're Shiite and not influenced by Wahhabi radicalization. So, why are you vocal about punishing Iran, yet haven't said a word about the others? Iran's sole interest is fighting a proxy war with Saudi Arabia, whose side we've taken in that war which has resulted in a humanitarian crisis in Yemen. Shiites are the ones whose shrines are being blown up and whose adherents are being systematically targeted for genocide by Islamic fundamentalists (Shiites are the sole group who ISIS says cannot even repent to save their lives; anyone found to be a Shiite is automatically sentenced to death). Where's your outrage on all that? Where's your outrage about arms deals and treaties with the Saudis, who fund extremism? Why's Iran such a target for you when a grand total of 0 Iranians have been involved in terrorism that has resulted in the death of Americans?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »

Yeah, the Iranian regime is trash, but singling them out for that while shipping weapons and palling around with the Saudis and other Gulf States is extremely hypocritical. Iran is less of a threat than those Wahhabist regimes that outsource their propaganda globally by funding radical madrasas and mosques throughout Europe, Asia, and Africa, which have resulted in globalized extremism, such as the Salafis in Europe, ISIS in the ME, and Boko Haram in Africa. The only reason people like you turn a blind eye to that extremism and have a hardon for Iran is the Iranian anti-Zionist and anti-Semitic propaganda, which the others have been more willing to suppress for geopolitical interests.

Iran isn't an extremist country; its citizens are among the most secular and moderate in the Middle East, largely because they're Shiite and not influenced by Wahhabi radicalization. So, why are you vocal about punishing Iran, yet haven't said a word about the others? Iran's sole interest is fighting a proxy war with Saudi Arabia, whose side we've taken in that war which has resulted in a humanitarian crisis in Yemen. Shiites are the ones whose shrines are being blown up and whose adherents are being systematically targeted for genocide by Islamic fundamentalists (Shiites are the sole group who ISIS says cannot even repent to save their lives; anyone found to be a Shiite is automatically sentenced to death). Where's your outrage on all that? Where's your outrage about arms deals and treaties with the Saudis, who fund extremism? Why's Iran such a target for you when a grand total of 0 Iranians have been involved in terrorism that has resulted in the death of Americans?

It's stated policy of the Iranian regime that they're going to kill half the world's Jews as soon as they have the opportunity.

Anyone aiming to prevent them from being held accountable for that is disgusting, but then, I already knew that about Bernie.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies