How much do you care about US politics these days ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:48:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How much do you care about US politics these days ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: On a scale from 0 (not at all) to 10 (a lot):

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: How much do you care about US politics these days ?  (Read 952 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »

For me: somewhere between 0 and 1.

Trump, the White House staff and the Republicans are currently extremely bizarre and disgusting and their 100 attempts to kill off Obamacare instead of reforming it are unworthy to follow.

Following the Austrian and German election campaigns is much cooler right now. I'll probably follow the VA Governor race in November though (NJ seems like a done deal for the Democrats).
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »

All stress, all the time.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

Depressing.  If I didn't have to go to work today and didn't also need a break from said work throughout the day, I doubt I'd even come on here very much ... alas, LOL.  There are just more enjoyable parts of my life right now, this is probably the least interested in contemporary politics I've ever been.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »

Unfortunately down to a 2. It seems like any "news" now, regardless of source, is tabloid trash. I like policy and data. I find no interest in incessant kvetching about meaningless tweets and endless speculation on whether knowing a guy who knows a girl who knows putin is proof that Trump had hookers piss on a hotel bed. I dont care if trump sinks 3 foot puts or 30. I dont care if his media team lies about it. I dont care if he compliments the appearance of Macrons wife. I dont care about crowd sizes. I dont care that someone misspelled a word when typing on their phone. I dont care about Morning Joe or Sean Spicers tone or kellyanne conways clothes or steve bannons divorce. Why can't the actual journalists banish the garbage media whores already. There are so many reasons to criticize trump that arent tabloid gossip. I used to chronically check the news, now I go days at a time without bothering because the only news now is "OMG Trump said this bad thing. Lets insult him. The end." This is why Trump wins. He can never be as evil as the caricature the media has presented, and so a large number of people will naturally suspect ANY allegation of wrong doing no matter how true. As long as the news is this substanceless, I dont see myself being able to care for the foreseeable future. Especially when I dont see any major player to feel sympathy towards.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »

Unfortunately down to a 2. It seems like any "news" now, regardless of source, is tabloid trash. I like policy and data. I find no interest in incessant kvetching about meaningless tweets and endless speculation on whether knowing a guy who knows a girl who knows putin is proof that Trump had hookers piss on a hotel bed. I dont care if trump sinks 3 foot puts or 30. I dont care if his media team lies about it. I dont care if he compliments the appearance of Macrons wife. I dont care about crowd sizes. I dont care that someone misspelled a word when typing on their phone. I dont care about Morning Joe or Sean Spicers tone or kellyanne conways clothes or steve bannons divorce. Why can't the actual journalists banish the garbage media whores already. There are so many reasons to criticize trump that arent tabloid gossip. I used to chronically check the news, now I go days at a time without bothering because the only news now is "OMG Trump said this bad thing. Lets insult him. The end." This is why Trump wins. He can never be as evil as the caricature the media has presented, and so a large number of people will naturally suspect ANY allegation of wrong doing no matter how true. As long as the news is this substanceless, I dont see myself being able to care for the foreseeable future. Especially when I dont see any major player to feel sympathy towards.

I can't agree enough with this post. The quality of political discourse at the moment is extremely low, to the point that it isn't really worth bothering. I had naively hoped that the mainstream press and political establishment would learn from Trump's victory and seek improvement. For all his flaws, I voted for him mainly because I believed America needed a wake-up call (in many ways). Sadly, I overestimated them in that regard; if anything, they are only getting worse.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »

The quality of political discourse is quite terrible at the moment. But unlike the two posters above who are using this as an opportunity to blame the other side, I'm going to admit that Republicans are guilty, Democrats are guilty, Trump is guilty, and the media is guilty.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »

I'm on Atlas aren't I?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »

This.  I just miss the day when discussions were substantive and hyperbole wasn't the main way people communicated. 

Oh well.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »

I agree with literally everyone above.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »

I agree with literally everyone above.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »

I really don't give a sh_t right now. Or rather, I need to stop giving a sh**t for my own sanity. Only I'm afraid if I stop paying attention, I will wake up one day to some horrific news, like a nuclear war. Hard experience teaches that avoiding following politics doesn't prevent terrible things from happening.

I tried not to follow the campaign last year- but one day when I walked into a noodle shop, they had CNN blaring - it was loud, like I don't know how people in that restaurant were even supposed to hear each other over the loudspeaker-volume CNN terrorizing the place. As soon as I realized the news was on, I turned around and walked right out, but it was too late to avoid hearing the words "Comey" and "go back to Congress." I walked into the restaurant next door and as soon as I walk in, I see CNN on and before I can ever avert my eyes, the red CNN Breaking News banner registers in my head which says "FBI reopens Clinton email investigation."

So trying to avoid this stuff and not caring doesn't work, either. It's everywhere. I should just assume that everything except for Washington, D.C. has been annihilated in a nuclear World War III. Politics was a mistake. Curse the day I even began to think of or grasp the concept of politics or caring about any other person other than those I have a personal vested interest in.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »

I fluctuate from 10 to 0.

Most of the time I'm a 10, but some weeks I'm a 0 and just try to tune out everything that has to do with politics.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »

Probably too much.  Heh. 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »

1.  I have never cared less in my entire adult life.  Both sides are awful.

Everyone I believed in turned out to be a sellout.  (Except Queen H)
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »

10. Every day is like Christmas.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »

3, just like normal
Rjjr77
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »

depends on my mood, I've been trying to kick the bug for a while, but I'm trying to get back.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 07:54:19 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 07:56:33 PM by Zyzz »

I need to take a year off. I took off all of 2009 after Obama got elected. I am still here for some reason after 2+ years of TRUMP hysteria.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »

7 overall i guess
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 12:41:31 AM »

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 12:48:07 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 12:49:38 AM by wxtransit »

Smiley

I also think that this may mainly be oriented for those not living in the US, as they have the option of tuning out American politics.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »

Smiley

I also think that this may mainly be oriented for those not living in the US, as they have the option of tuning out American politics.

Such person in attendance here!

I would say 7, optimistically 7. It's quite much for a non-American person.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 11:32:45 PM »

It's a useful subject to stuff my brain with to distract myself from the knowledge that it's possible I will never amount to anything and other sombering and depressing thoughts.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 03:29:37 AM »

It's a useful subject to stuff my brain with to distract myself from the knowledge that it's possible I will never amount to anything and other sombering and depressing thoughts.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 07:21:22 AM »

Atlas is my life. 10

I haven’t batter dipped my Corndog ever since I joined atlas.

Is this a euphemism- Oh wait, I’m talking to Timmy, not RFayette. Yes it is.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies