Concert of Europe: Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:32:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Concert of Europe: Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
Author Topic: Concert of Europe: Gameplay Thread  (Read 34998 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: October 04, 2017, 07:10:56 PM »

We commend the Emperor on his creativity, more proper of an imaginative boy than of a responsible, seasoned monarch and head of state. The fact is that the Kingdom of Prussia dealt with the government of Ostfriesland in good faith and in a frank and honest manner, and it seems the Emperor cannot get into his head the idea that the Princes and Estates that form part of the Empire are not slaves to his every command, but sovereign states with a right to make decisions for themselves.

If Ostfriesland faces any danger it is from the Emperor, who rashly came within an inch of declaring an Imperial Ban that would have condemned the Duke, Chancellor and Government of Ostfriesland to death, would have taken all of their properties and annexed Ostfriesland as a direct territory to be inherited by the Emperor, who we suspect may be a bit too keen to annex German land for his own to satisfy his wounded pride and prestige. And this from the same man who pursues economic strangulation on fellow Germans who were his subjects until a few months ago, leading them to starvation and the plague for the sake of his infantile vengeance and his desire that they surrender to him.

And worse! He blocks and rejects a Venetian mediation to resolve the matter of Hohenzollern and Wurttemberg peacefully and without blood. He blocks and rejects a humanitarian mission that would alleviate the misery he has brought to the people of these lands.

The Kingdom of Prussia believes the matter to be rather simple. His Majesty the Emperor, finding himself rejected by his own subjects in the Diet has decided to cave to the demands of the German Princes and to save face he's decide to conjure up false images of intimidation to justify himself.

We see plainly through his infantile deceit.

We call on the Emperor to be a man on this time of such importance and come to the table under Venetian mediation to spare Wurttemburg and Hohenzollern a grim fate. We call upon him to cease his hostility towards these innocent states and their innocent peoples, and allow humanitary aid to reach the region.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #451 on: October 05, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »

Foundation of the Catholic League!
France, Spain, Naples, and Sardinia-Piedmont Form Alliance

Following the spread of the Plague into France, attempts to formulate discontent in Sardinia, and a general feeling of unease in European politics, the major Catholic powers of Europe (sans Austria) agreed to establish a formal alliance. Dubbing themselves the "Catholic League" they have promised mutual defense and increased diplomatic ties. The three Bourbon Kingdoms have been joined by Sardinia in the agreement. Pope Benedict XV praised the move, calling on these powers to unite and keep Christendom safe. Voltaire, on the other hand, was widely reported to have dubbed the organization a "League of Fools and Fanatics".

The Diet of the League has been established in Avignon, with representatives of the various powers meeting regularly in order to coordinate their actions and cooperate overall. Reaction of the minor European powers has ranged from dismissal, with several other Catholic realms ignoring the organization, to condemnation (especially among North German Protestants). The name reminds many of the former Catholic League that was involved in the Thirty Years War, bringing back bad memories for some. It remains seen how the major powers will respond to this new alliance, or if the four kingdoms can keep their alliance stable.

Ottomans and Georgia Sign Defensive Alliance!
King Solomon I was alarmed by the agressive actions of Persia, fearing his realm was just as vulnerable as the Ottoman Empire to an attack by the House of Zand. Thus, when Ottoman diplomats arrived in Tbilisi proposing an alliance, he was eager to accept. Despite a rivalry of many years, neither realm wishes to see a resurgant Persia. Orthodox subjects of the Ottomans were quite reassured by the agreement, hoping such an alliance will ensure continued coexistance of the Islamic and Christian religions. It is unclear if Persia has been deterred. 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #452 on: October 06, 2017, 08:49:25 AM »

Statement from the King of France

I would like to personally thank the King of Spain, regent of Naples and the King of Sardinia-Piemont for their willingness to start a new age in the hispanic-italo-franco diplomatic relationships, based on cooperation and our religious identity. This Catholic League is for the moment defensive.

Regarding the war raging in Europe, I will follow the advices of the clergy of France as my realm is divided on this matter. I do not wish to enter the war into one side or an another, for now. Indeed, for the Polish-dutch /Ottoman-Prussian-British war, both sides are constituted by countries having been at war against the Kingdom of France in the last five years, as no allies of France are involved, we do not feel the need to join either side for now. We have taken note of the King of Prussia's attempt of making reconciliation with my kingdom.

And finally, I would like to personally congratulate on the soldiers fighting in India. The Marathas were threatening the French protectorates, and actions needed to be made to protect them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #453 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »

With France refusing to even comment on an immediate ceasefire in India, we have few choices left. We ask that our allies and the League of Armed Neutrality support our bid for an immediate ceasefire. Unless peace is had, we will be forced to protect our interests in India.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #454 on: October 06, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »

The League of Armed Neutrality and the rest of Europe have more pressing concerns than far off squabbles with backwards savages. Why should anyone care about India when thousands of Christian Europeans are dying so close to home? Absurd! And furthermore, if we WERE to start caring about backwards conflicts with tribesmen, I would think that the slaughter of American natives would warrant first consideration.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #455 on: October 06, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »

Ultimatum to the King of Danemark:
Any Danish actions made to support the Marathas, who are threatening the French protectorates in India, either by sending Danish volunteers, mercenaries, or sending weapons, will be considered as having started the war against the Kingdom of France without proper declaration. And thus, the Kingdom of France will react against the Danish threat accordingly.

Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #456 on: October 06, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2017, 10:59:49 AM by Dereich »

For the record, Austria will not consider its military obligations by treaty to be triggered by minor colonial squabbles in some godforsaken land far from Europe. Should any colonial struggle seriously appear to augur conflict on this continent, We will reassess our position at that time. As should be obvious, an attack on an ally on European soil will be constituted as a declaration of war on Austria unless otherwise stated.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #457 on: October 06, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »

Veince supports calls for a ceasefire in India until a peace agreement can be reached.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #458 on: October 07, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »

Veince supports calls for a ceasefire in India until a peace agreement can be reached.
We offer ships for Venice to send peacekeepers. Or we might send troops with orders not to fire unless fired upon, to break up the war.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #459 on: October 07, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »

Royal Families of Europe

House of Bourbon: France

Head: Louis XV (1710-) m. Marie Leszczyńska (1703-)

Direct Heirs (underlined) & Other Descendants:
a. Louise Élisabeth, Duchess of Parma (1727-) m. Philip, Duke of Parma

b. Louis, Dauphin of France (1729-) m. Maria Josepha Wettin (1731-)
     1. Louis, Duc de Burgundy (1751-)
     2. Louis-Auguste, Duc de Berry (1754-)
     3. Louis Stanislas, Comte de Provence (1755-)
     4. Marie (1757-)
     5. Charles, Comte de Artois (1759-)

c. Marie Adélaïde (1732-)

d. Victoire Louise Marie Therese (1733-)

e. Sophie Philippine Elisabeth Justine (1734-)

f. Louise Marie (1737-)

House of Bourbon: Spain
Head: Charles III (1716-) m. Maria Amalia Wettin (1724-)

a. Maria Josefa (1744-)

b. Maria Luisa (1745-) m. King George III of Great Britain (1738-)

c. Philip, Duque de Calabria (1747-)

d. Charles, Príncipe de Taranto (1748-)

e. Ferdinand IV, King of Naples (1751-)

f. Gabriel (1752-)

g. Antonio Pascual (1755-)

h. Francisco Javier (1757-)

House of Hanover
Head: George III (1738-) m. Maria Luisa Bourbon (1745-)

a. Charles, Prince of Wales (1760-)

House of Holstein-Gottorp
Head: Adolf Frederick (1710-) m. Louisa Ulrika Hohenzollern (1720-)

a. Gustav, Storfurste av Finland (1746-)

b. Charles (1748-)

c. Frederick Adolf (1750-)

d. Sofia Albertina (1753-)

House of Habsburg-Lorraine
Head: Joseph II (1741-) m.

No Children (OTL Siblings are heirs)

House of Oldenburg
Head: Frederick V (1723-) m. Louise of Hanover (1724-1751) & Juliana Maria of Brunswick (1729-)

a. Sophia Magdalena (1746-)

b. Wilhelmina Caroline (1747-)

c. Christian (1749-)

d. Louise (1750-)

e. Frederick (1753-)

House of Hohenzollern
Head: Frederick II (1712-) m. Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick (1715-)

(No Issue, Nephew Frederick William is heir)

House of Romanov
Head: Paul I (1754-) m.

(No children, Catherine considered heir)

House of Savoy
Head: Charles Emmanuel III (1701-) m. (Three wives, all deceased)

a. Victor Amadeus, Duca di Savoia (1726-) m. Maria Antonia Bourbon (1729-)
     1. Charles Emmanuel (1751-)
     2. Maria Giuseppina (1753-)
     3. Maria Theresa (1756-)
     4. Maria Anna (1757-)
     5. Maria Christina (1759-)

b. Eleanora Maria (1728-)

c. Maria Luisa (1729-), nun.

d. Maria Felicita (1730-)

e. Benedetto, Duca di Chablais (1741-)

House of Braganza
Head: Joseph I (1714-) m. Mariana Victoria Bourbon (1718-)

a. Maria (1734-)

b. Mariana Francisca (1736-)

c. Doroteia (1739-)

d. Benedita (1746-)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #460 on: October 07, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »

The Kingdom of Prussia requests clarification on whether Austria will accept Venetian mediation on the Wurttemberg matter, as well as a humanitarian mission to supply the region. 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #461 on: October 07, 2017, 04:50:59 PM »

We offer ships for Venice to send peacekeepers. Or we might send troops with orders not to fire unless fired upon, to break up the war.

We must unfortunately reject this offer. We are spread thin enough as it is with the Plague incoming.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2017, 05:05:28 PM by Representative LouisvilleThunder »

State of the Empire Address--January 1760

Greetings My Fellow Spaniards,

I am proud of my accomplishments over the past year since I have taken over from my brother. I shall be a different kind of king who will stay in touch with the main issues we face as a country, a people, and an empire. I plan on focusing on reviving the old glory of the Spanish Empire by focusing on increasing our prestige at home and abroad while bringing wealth to the forgotten common men who have been left behind in our centuries of efforts to expand the greatness and power of our empire, and they shall begin to reap some of the fruits of their contributions.

I have made an arrangement in Italy that aims to secure a lasting peace on the peninsula as well as agreeing to the formation of a Catholic League because we don't need to have us Catholics fight each other for dumb reasons. I have strengthened our bonds with France, Sardinia-Piedmont, and Austria in the name of reviving the greatness of Christendom, and we aim to spread the faith to heathen lands in a just effort to bring salvation to the hungry masses who deserve it, and we shall continue our efforts in the fight to liberate them them even if that means fighting for it in places outside of Europe. We are also working on finding cures for the plague which is wreaking havoc across Europe, I shall announce that I will give some funding to scientists to work on it. Anyone who is successful in finding a cure, shall be handsomely rewarded with a large grant of land Spanish America. I also order all incoming foreign ships into our harbors to be inspected and have their crews quarantined as a measure of safety to protect our people.

My son, Prince Ferdinand, shall spend most of the year living at my royal court in Madrid with his mother and siblings, but he shall travel with me to live in the royal palace at Naples during each summer. This is going to be the arrangement until he reaches 18 years of age in January 1769, and I believe that this is a prudent plan since he is only a child and thus unfit to rule until then. I wish for the people of my Italian realm to accept this arrangement as just.

I shall encourage my Spanish subjects to settle and further develop the Louisiana territory, especially in the city of New Orleans. I wish to send a message of reconciliation to those of French origin who already live there that I'm open to reasonable suggestions of improvement of the living situation there, and I hope to win their trust in my leadership.

I demand that the King of Portugal return the Jesuits' property and allow them free movement across Portugal as the presence of the Jesuits is vital for social and spiritual development of Christendom. I recognize the grievances that Portugal and other Catholic countries may have about the Jesuits straying from their responsibilities of providing education for the masses and spreading the word of God to the heathens around the world who deserve a chance to receive salvation. I suggesting working with the Pope and other Catholic kings to increase oversight of the Jesuits' actions to make sure they fulfill those responsibilities. We also need to instill a sense of responsibility to the betterment of the Kingdom by instead of hoarding their wealth, they can spend their gold on investments into the betterment of our nation through the construction of schools all across the empire, so we can have a faithful populace which can also be knowledgeable enough to discover and innovate more. That will lead to a stronger and more prosperous empire in the future which is what I want to achieve most for our people.

Thank you and may God bless the Spanish Empire
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #463 on: October 08, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »

The Kingdom of Prussia requests clarification on whether Austria will accept Venetian mediation on the Wurttemberg matter, as well as a humanitarian mission to supply the region. 

Denied. We will recommend that the Diet reopen trades with Wurttemburg at a special tariff rate. As a large majority of the Diet favors the continuation of the embargo and the Duke continues to treat the Empire with nothing but contempt, there are no guarantees that that new rate will be anywhere close to the former one.

We see no reason for this situation to change as long as the current Duke continues to reign. Should he abdicate or pass on and his successor be more willing to act civilly, perhaps tariff normalization could be considered by the Diet at that point. If Prussia wishes to trade with Wurttemburg, they are naturally free to do so. Of course, any such trade will pass through multiple Imperial customs checkpoints and will pay full rates at each. The same is, naturally, true for Venice.

If this is too late and needs a response you can just go ahead and count it as part of next turn.
I'm not trying to push this out so late that there isn't time to respond.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #464 on: October 08, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »

Let the record show to all the Princes and Estates of Germany, and to all the courts of Europe that it is Emperor Joseph II who refuses to allow not only third-party mediation, but a humanitarian mission by a trusted neutral country that would alleviate the suffering of thousands of Germans the Emperor himself is causing.

This is nothing but an act of intimidation, an evident threat to the Duke of Wurttemburg to abdicate if the Emperor's desire for former members of the Empire to submit to his ambitions are not met. Let the record also show the Emperor continues to take it upon himself to speak on behalf of the Diet, and that he offers no proof of the supposed "contempt" that so offends this young, inexperienced Monarch that to wash away this percieved insult he brings a region to the brink of starvation and the plague.

The Kingdom of Prussia protests in the strongest terms at the Emperor's behavior, and commits to seeing that Wurttemberg is properly supplied and fed. Prussia is doing its outmost to prevent a conflict with Austria, but the mistreatment of our ally and friend and the threat of forcing his abdication is something we cannot tolerate.

We humbly request the Imperial Diet to restrain the Emperor's whims as they so sucessfully did in the case of Ostfriesland.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #465 on: October 08, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »

World Military Update
January-June 1760

Summary: Fighting continued all across Europe. The Dutch Republic is nearing collapse, the Moldovians are expanding into Wallachia, and a huge blow is dealt to Peter III’s cause in Russia, even as his Swedish allies appear to have been fortunate. With Austria joining the vast network of hostilities, the future is more uncertain than ever...

War of the Two Republics
United Provinces of the Netherlands, Free Republic of Poland-Lithuania, Republic of Moldova
v.
Kingdom of Great Britain, Kingdom of Prussia, Kingdom of Sweden, Ottoman Empire
v.
Zaporozhian Cossacks
Battle of Arnhem: Slight Prussian Victory

Following their success in the Battle of Groningen, Prussian forces quickly marched south, hoping to invade the remainder of the United Provinces and collapse Jacob Gilles government. The Dutch employed Flemings from France in addition to their forces, throwing everything they had at the Prussian Army in a desperate defense. The Battle of Arnhem lasted several hours, leaving thousands dead. When the smoke cleared though, the Prussians held the field and the city. The shattered remains of the Dutch Army have retreated towards the Hague as the government now openly is offering to negotiate peace terms.

Invasion of the Cape Colony: Decisive Prussian Victory

The Dutch Cape Colonists were caught entirely off-guard when Prussian sails appeared off the coast, quickly landing 5,000 men and overwhelming the small number of defenders. Johannesburg and other small settlements quickly capitulated, leaving a century of Dutch colony rule in question.

Battle of Poznan: Stalemate

Frederick II attempted to reverse his fortune in the east, though to much less success than in the United Provinces. Calling up several thousand of the Landwehr, raising more men, and depleting some of his garrisons, he embarked on an attempt to liberate Gdansk by the means of a feint attack. The Poles were prepared however, their main army not marching against East Prussia, but to defend the Polish homeland. In another dramatic battle the Prussians proved unable to crack the Polish nut. Close hand-to-hand combat ruled the day once it was clear conventional tactics were not working. While the Prussians had less casualties, they’ve been forced back towards their border.

Polish Invasion of Ostpreussen: Major Polish Victory

The Poles instead sent their northern army against Ostpreussen, while the main body fought against the Prussians. The region was caught unprepared. Memel and Tilsit fell easily, leaving the rural areas open to quick conquest. The city of Konigsberg however, the traditional Hohenzollern capitol, held firm. It prepared for a siege, supplied by ships from the Baltic. Thus, though the Poles have captured much of the territory, the most important prize has thus far eluded them.

Battle of Iasi: Major Moldovan Victory

The Ottomans assembled their forces, moving north to crush the remains of the Moldovan forces. However, they were unprepared for two factors. First, the Poles sent their southern army to join their comrades, now that the Ottomans had joined the war against them. Second, their Crimean allies were unable to arrive due to the chaos that had been fomented by the Cossacks to the east. Taking advantage of the terrain, local support, and love of country the Moldovan-Polish force surprised the Ottomans, pushing them out of the realm in a startled retreat. Advanced guards of the Moldovan Army have attempted to reach the Danube as Wallachia debates whether to join their Romanian brethren. Ottoman Europe appears to be facing its greatest threat since the Crusade of Varna, as other nationalities may consider the calls from Poland to rise on their own, though this remains far from certain.

Chaos in Crimea, Poland, Ukraine: Major Cossack Victory

The Ottomans and Prussians conspired to have the Zaporzhian Cossacks join the war on their side, offering them an independent realm in exchange for help assaulting Kiev and capturing Catherine and Paul. The regent and Paul however, had moved to Moscow following the liberation of that capitol, thwarting detailed attempts to capture Catherine. Regardless, the Cossacks rose as instructed, capturing and sacking Kiev while astonished citizens watched in horror. Their actions did not stop there, though. Centuries of bad blood and rivalry could not simply be papered over. The Cossacks turned on their Crimean “allies”, launching a series of surprise attacks and tricks in order to damage that realm. Likewise, Poland fell victim to Cossack raids. Cossack leaders argue they do not need other nations to give them independence, but will seize it themselves by expelling all of their foes. How Russia, Poland, and the Ottomans respond to this many-sided threat may determine the future of this region.

Franco-Maratha War
Kingdom of France
v.
Maratha Confederacy

Battle of Orissa: Major French Victory

Looking to improve on their showing from the last six months, French forces vigorously campaigned in Eastern India against the Marathas. Throughout Orissa, the Confederacy was largely expelled and French rule established. Attempts by some locals to instigate resistance have largely been thwarted by captured elites, who have proven willing to cooperate under promises of some power being retained after the eventual peace.

Battle of Jalgaon: Slight Maratha Victory

The situation in the west did not quite go as well for the French invaders. Despite possessing superiority of numbers, locals in this area aided the Maratha force in ambushing and defeating the French Army in a brutal fight. Though the French managed to inflict numerous casualties on the Marathans, they were also forced to cede some of their gains from late 1759 in their retreat.

War of the Two Tsars
Pauline Russia, Archduchy of Austria
v.
Petrine Russia, Kingdom of Sweden

Battle of Tver: Major Pauline Victory

The Swedes plotted with Peter III to overthrow Catherine's regency, the two armies coordinating operations throughout the north. The Petrines were discouraged by the events of the past year and thus obeyed the commands of their erstwhile ally. They held numerical superiority preparing and launching a joint attack on the Pauline forces. When fighting commenced however, there was a stunning development. 60,000 Austrians were in the Pauline Army, bolstering their numbers and providing much-needed aid to Catherine. The battle proved to be the largest so far in Russian history, thanks in large part to the foreign intervention in both sides. It was decided around midday, when a line of Danes broke following hours under heavy fire. With them in retreat, the Swedes and Peter were unable to maintain the front. Catherine's cavalry filled the gap and it became a rout. The Swedes fled north, moving towards Vibourg with Peter III and his men in tow. St. Petersburg has been lost, though the Swedes remain on Russian soil, the Danes and Petrines having borne most of the casualties in the Battle of Tver. It has been noted that Peter's army has been facing heavy desertions following the defeat.

Joseph II, successfully in the eyes of many, justified his move by pointing to the fact that Austria and Russia had signed an alliance of mutual defense several years earlier. Sweden had attacked Russia, therefore Austria was entitled (or perhaps even required) to honor their obligations and assist Elizabeth's heir, Paul. While war with Sweden had not been openly declared, under his interpretation it had been occuring nonetheless.

Invasion of Riga: Decisive Swedish Victory

The Swedes did not solely operate in the north, also undertaking operations in Latvia oncemore. The former army sent to invade Gdansk was merged with the army which had seized the Baltic islands. The larger force landed by Riga, capturing the city due to no Russian garrison being present. The surrounding area was likewise seized, the people war-weary and wanting to be left in peace. In the chaos, several Russian naval vessels were captured, the rest managing to narrowly escape out into the Baltic. With ships being such an expensive investment, it could cost Catherine dearly should she want to replace them.

Pauline Invasion of Siberia: Major Pauline Victory

With Peter III and his forces having moved away from Siberia in order to work with the Swedes, the vast east was left open to Catherine's men. The Army of Siberia advanced throughout many miles of rebellious territory, finding anarchy in most locations, indifference in others. As they've moved east, more and more locals are quickly aknowledging her right to be regent. It is widely suspected total control could be reasserted, should Peter III not return, within a year. Some think it may only take months.

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #466 on: October 09, 2017, 12:35:43 AM »

News: January-June 1760

Poland Declares "Alliance of Free Peoples"
Calls on Finns, Bulgarians, Greeks to Rise Up!

With the war effort against Prussia seeming to go well for the Poles, there was been a rise in support for the National Assembly. In Warsaw the fight became framed as a war of people trying to free themselves from the shackles of slavery and despotism. With this in mind, a collection of delegates have unleashed a radical proclamation, quickly being backed by the government. They call on the "oppressed peoples" under the yoke of their enemies to rise up. The Finns, Norwegians, Bulgarians, Greeks, and Wallachians were given specific mention in the dramatic "Declaration of the Free Peoples of Europe". The former Cap Swedish prisoners joined exiles from all of the nationalities listed in signing a blanket declaration of support for uprisings and riots.

Perhaps the most notable detail is not the groups that are listed, but those that are not. No mention is made of either the Hungarians or Bohemians (though this has not stopped radicals in both lands from attempting to call their people to arms in the same spirit of the Declaration). This is seen to stem from Poland's cooperation with Austria, allowing an army to cross through their lands in order to go to Russia.

While the Declaration is dramatic, there have not been any open rebellions caused by it (yet, at least). Though it has caused unease throughout Europe, perhaps setting a dangerous precedent of a sovereign nation calling for serious dissolution of its neighbors, how the powers treat the minorities in their realms will likely be more important than any foreign decree.

Austria Intervenes in Russia, Violates Treaty of Prague?

Joseph II's surprise decision to intervene in Russia sent shockwaves throughout Europe. The Emperor made a legalistic argument in regards to his intervention, pointing to various treaties Austria possessed with Russia, including coming to her aid if she was attacked. As Sweden had launched an invasion, he felt intervention was justified. Still, especially after the presence of Peter III at the Battle of Tver, some are wondering if he did not violate the pledge in the Treaty of Prague to stay out of the Russian Civil War. While the presence of Petrine forces could not be forseen, without Austrian aide, they and the Swedes could very well have defeated the Paulines. How will the other Courts of Europe react to a potential violation of the Treaty of Prague so soon after its signing?

Plague Dissipates in Europe!

Amid all the horrors of war and unrest, there was also good news for Europe. Following intense efforts in France and Italy to contain the spread of the dreaded Plague, the disease has ceased to spread. In fact, it appears to be disappearing. The number of dead in cities is slowly declining as life begins to return to normal. Is the awful nightmare of the last few years finally at an end? Many hope so, crediting efforts to clean cities as crucial to success.

Diet Votes to Trade with Wurttemburg, though with conditions

With the dispute between Wurttemburg and the Empire remaining at the forefront of German affairs, the Diet attempted to formulate a solution, though not one necessarily helpful for Stuttgart. Trade is to be opened up between that Principality and the outside world, though high tariffs are to remain in place. Any outside realm hoping to send their goods in will face numerous fees, same with Wurttemburgers attempting to ship goods out. While nominal trade has opened, many point out that it is nowhere near Imperial levels. If this solution is good enough will be for both Prussia and Wurttemburg to decide.

COSSACK REBELLION: ATTACKS AGAINST POLES, CRIMEANS, AND RUSSIANS!

A crisis has emerged in Ukraine, with the Zaporozhian Cossacks attacking the Russians, Poles, and Crimeans in quick succession. While they were supposed to be allied to the Ottomans, centuries of bad blood remains too formidable an obstacle. The National Assembly has condemned their attacks, though there are those in Warsaw who believe a bit of land should be ceded to them in order for them to gain self-determination. Meanwhile in Russia, the sack of Kiev was met with universal outrage and shock. The holy city, already profaned by Ottoman captors, now has been gutted by rebellious subjects. Some wonder if it will ever recover.

The Cossacks could prove and annoyance to the three major factions in Eastern Europe, though many are skeptical they will be more than that. Except for the Crimean Khanate, none of the other powers in the area face an existential threat from them at the moment.

Riots in Amsterdam
People Call for Restoration of William V Amid Invasion

With successive defeats at Groningen and Arnhem, the already shaky regime of Jacob Gilles appears on the verge of collapse. The loss of so much Dutch territory in Europe, not to mention the Cape Colony, has caused for the people to openly advocate a return to normalcy, with the restoration of William V. Riots have occurred throughout all of Amsterdam, with the house of one of Gilles' lieutenants being burned to the ground. There is an air of unease in the city as Prussian soldiers creep ever nearer.

The Staats General has been responsive though, offering to send ambassadors to Berlin to negotiate a deal. Should Prussia prove unwilling to negotiate however, radical republicans are calling for the dikes, recently repaired, to be burst again. This would cause widespread damage and could hinder the Prussian advance.

British Defeat Former Iroquois Allies

With major fighting occurring elsewhere, most foreign observers ignored a major turning point in British settlement of North America. Following a series of invasions, occupations, and defeats the Iroquois Confederacy, once powerful and Britain's former friend, has dissolved. Some tribes have surrendered to colonial officials, others fleeing west in order to carry on the fight. While the Cherokee and Creek still remain adamant in their resistance, this is a significant blow to the native cause in the New World.

PRUSSIANS HAD SALTYKOV MURDERED!

Catherine's investigation into the murder of her supposed lover, Sergei Saltykov, has reached a surprising solution. Torture and arrests have revealed Prussian agentd were responsible for his death. While this has largely silenced rumors of Catherine being complicit, jokes still abound about the murder of "the Emperor's Father". While officials are trying to silent such treasonous talk, it nevertheless persists.

Trade Disruption! Many Merchants Furious!

With the Prussian capture of the Cape Colony and French conquests in India, traditional trade routes have been disrupted. Dutch vessels are refusing to acknowledge the loss of that territory, turning around rather than sending their goods to Europe. Likewise many other trading companies are not willing to move their goods via sea with such uncertainty in South Africa. Rather than relying on traditional transport methods, some have begun to turn to the Ottoman Empire as a middleman, boosting their economy for the time being. Meanwhile, until normal trade is restored, the economies of Europe may be troubled by higher prices for desired goods (and all the unrest that entails).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #467 on: October 09, 2017, 05:15:34 AM »

Statement from the King of France:
This is what happens when catholic kingdom decide to unite. The plague has been vanquished!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #468 on: October 09, 2017, 06:31:21 AM »

Statement from the King of France:
This is what happens when catholic kingdom decide to unite. The plague has been vanquished!

This does not mean we can lower our guard. Venetian doctors and scientists will continue their research.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »

And I'm glad the Kingdom of France hasn't fallen into chaos like almost every other realm in Europe. As King of France, preserving the well being of my subjects is a top priority.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #470 on: October 09, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »

And I'm glad the Kingdom of France hasn't fallen into chaos like almost every other realm in Europe. As King of France, preserving the well being of my subjects is a top priority.

I would remind the King of France that he felt himself forced to call his Estates General for the first time in 150 years, was poisoned, and dealt with an outbreak of the plague over the last year and a half. He will forgive the rest of Europe for hoping to avoid such "stability."
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #471 on: October 09, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »

I would remind the King of France that he felt himself forced to call his Estates General for the first time in 150 years, was poisoned, and dealt with an outbreak of the plague over the last year and a half. He will forgive the rest of Europe for hoping to avoid such "stability."
Do I really need to compare this stability with what is happening in  eastern Europe?
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #472 on: October 09, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »

Statement from Stockholm Palace

In light of the continuing escalation of conflicts across Europe and the globe, His Majesty, King Adolf Fredrick, is hereby calling for opening of a conference to be hosted at a neutral site to ensure that the true threat which faces all of us, revolutionary fervor in the guise of the Polish state, can be dealt with and that the conflicts which plague our continent can finally be resolved equitably and justly. His Majesty would look favorably upon the recommendation of appropriate locations for this conference, and for those nations who are willing to attend to declare so now.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #473 on: October 11, 2017, 02:37:58 AM »

The Concert of Europe
June 1760

Nations, ‬Leaders, & ‬Players:
Russian Empire- ‬Regent Catherine Romanov (‬Henry Wallace)
Kingdom of France- ‬King Louis XV Bourbon (‬Windjammer)
Kingdom of Prussia‬- ‬King Fredrick II Hohenzollern (‬Lumine)
Archduchy of Austria‬- ‬Emperor Joseph II Habsburg (‬Dereich)
Kingdom of Great Britain- ‬King George III of Hanover (‬DKrol)
Kingdom of Spain- ‬King Charles III Bourbon (‬LouisvilleThunder)
Ottoman Empire-‬ Sultan Mustafa III Osmanoğlu
Kingdom of Sweden- ‬King Adolf Frederick (‬YPestis25)
Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont- ‬King Charles Emmanuel III Savoy (‬TimTurner)
Kingdom of Denmark-Norway-Iceland- ‬King Frederick V Oldenburg (‬Kingpoleon)
Republic of Venice- ‬Doge Francesco Loredan (‬GOTfan)
Kingdom of Portugal- ‬King Joseph I Braganza (‬Mike88)
United Provinces of the Netherlands- Grand Pensioner Jacob Gilles[‬/center]

Economic Standings:
Republic of Venice- ‬Strong
Kingdom of Spain- ‬Strong
Kingdom of Portugal- ‬Strong
Kingdom of Great Britain- ‬Strong

Archduchy of Austria- ‬Moderate
Kingdom of Prussia- ‬Moderate
Kingdom of France- ‬Moderate
Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont-Moderate
Ottoman Empire- ‬Moderate

Kingdom of Denmark-Norway-Iceland- ‬Weak
Kingdom of Sweden- ‬Weak

United Provinces of the Netherlands- ‬Very Weak
Russian Empire- ‬Very Weak

Popularity:
Louis XV of France- ‬Very High
Francesco Loredan of Venice- ‬High
Joseph II of Austria- ‬High
Charles III of Spain- ‬High
Mustafa III of Ottoman Empire- ‬High
Charles Emmanuel III- ‬High
Frederick II of Prussia- ‬High

Catherine of Russia, ‬Regent- ‬Moderate
Joseph I of Portugal- ‬Moderate
Frederick V of Denmark- ‬Moderate
Adolf Frederick of Sweden- ‬Moderate
George III of Great Britain- ‬Moderate

Jacob Gilles of the Netherlands- ‬Low

Ongoing Conflicts:
War of the Three (‬Two) ‬Tsars: ‬Kingdom of Sweden, ‬Petrine Russia v. ‬Pauline Russia
War of the Two Republics: ‬Kingdom of Prussia, ‬Kingdom of Great Britain, ‬Ottoman Empire, ‬Kingdom of Sweden v. ‬United Provinces of the Netherlands, ‬Free Republic of Poland-Lithuania, ‬Republic of Moldova
Franco-Maratha War: ‬Kingdom of France v. ‬Maratha Confederacy
Great American Indian War: Kingdom of Great Britain v. Cherokee, Wabnaki, Creek, Obijwe, Cree

Russian Empire:
-Peter III and the traitorous Swedes are on the retreat! St. Petersburg is yours once more! The successes of the Pauline Army have caused you to receive a great deal of praise, Catherine. Yet, you must continue to solve difficult questions. With the recapture of so much land from Peter and the rebels, there are questions about what is to be done to those who have cooperated with your ex-husband? Many local officials at least tacitly endorsed his efforts. Furthermore, will the liberated serfs in the lands retaken be sent back to their estates? The nobles are demanding this occur, though others fear this could backfire. How will you deal with Peter’s former subjects?

-Russia has been fighting a civil war, as well as an invasion, for roughly three years. This doesn’t include the expenses incurred by Elizabeth during the War of the Grand Coalitions. Needless to say, your coffers are exceedingly light and many worry you will soon be unable to pay your army, undoubtedly triggering mass desertions. Some at Court believe the gold of the churches should be seized, in order for the soldiers to be paid and Russia’s fight to continue (they point out that the Church could be paid back in the future). Others see taxing Peter’s former subjects for all they’re worth as the answer. Perhaps your troops would be understanding, maybe even fighting for the promise of future gains. How will you solve this problem?

-Zaporozhian Cossacks have risen, urged on by the Ottomans, and sacked the city of Kiev. Thousands of subjects are fleeing the Ukraine, with attacks also reported against the Poles and Crimeans. Will you be the one to handle this situation, or let the other powers deal with the rebellious Cossacks while you restore order?

Archduchy of Austria:
-Several Imperial Princes have come forward, offering their female relatives as potential wives for your highness. The Elector of Saxony, Augustus III’s son, offers his sister Maria Kunigunde (though this may be unpopular in Poland). The King of Bavaria suggests his sister Maria Josepha (which could give you a potential to add Bavaria to your realm if he dies childless). Isabella of Parma is another suggestion, this one would tie you to the French and Spanish families. Lastly, the young Landgravine Caroline of Hesse-Darmstadt (14) has been offered by her father. Who will you choose?

-Poland’s actions in Europe, particularly calling for the liberation of Bulgaria, Finland, and other minorities has had an effect in your realm, whether intended or not. Pamphlets are appearing in Prague and Buda calling for nationalist rebellions. How will you respond to such incendiary materials? Some are calling for brutal reprisals and supression of underground publishing houses. Others urge you to ignore it, so as not to provoke them. How will Austria walk this tight line?

-Your men are in Russia, most recently having aided Catherine in pushing the Swedes back north where they belong. Now what will your expeditionary force do? Will you move on Riga, continue to work with Catherine’s Army, liberate Siberia, or even return to Austria? Perhaps Austria could crush the Zaporozhian Cossacks? How will you use the forces?

Kingdom of France:
-Your men have gained more ground in India, though the number of dead also grows. There is new concerning news however, this time from the northeast. The Durrani have reportedly been moving men along the border, some of your subjects reporting they are frightened by a united French India, hoping to act before it comes to pass. They would likely gain the sympathy of your Muslim subjects, just like the Hindus are sympathetic to the Maratha. Some in Paris suggest bribing Persia to war against the Durrani, in order to buy you time, while others believe direct diplomacy is a better answer. The war faction believe you should let them invade, defeat them, and add their territories to the French Empire too. What will you do?

-A small group of French settlers have landed in the far off island of Hokkaido. The local Ainu are unfriendly though, and chance encounters with Japanese vessels have thus far only resulted in hostilities. Given time though, the potential for the colony to grow is certainly present. The people would like a small garrison to keep themselves safe, though this could also serve to drive the natives to war. Will you send the new town of Louisville defenses?

-You chose to locate the Diet of the Catholic League in Avignon. There are numerous crypto-Huguenots in the area however, some of whom are suspected of sabotaging operations. Carriages have been damaged, some buildings have been set aflame, and false directions have been given. While no one has been killed, these actions are embarrassing for your realm, especially as a key member of a “Catholic” league. Some bishops are calling for a limited inquisition in the area, in order to better understand the religious leanings of your subjects who may not have shed their heretical tendencies. Will you grant this request?

Kingdom of Great Britain:
-War in the Netherlands appears to be winding down, with many expecting the restoration of William V shortly. His grandmother Marie Louise is adamant however, that any peace settlement sees Dutch territory intact, meaning Prussia would be forbidden from annexing the Cape Colony. She argues her grandson was expelled by a rebellious mob and did nothing to deserve having his realm cut to pieces. Others see agreeing to her conditions as leaving the door open to a future rift with Prussia. Where do you stand on the matter of Dutch territorial integrity?

-A son has been born to you and your wife, named Charles George William of Hanover, the Prince of Wales in honor of his grandfather, the King of Spain. Your wife has hinted that she wants the boy brought up in her faith, though to many in London this would be a serious insult. James II lost his throne, after all, for advocating a similar policy. Yet, the days of religious conformity also are supposedly gone, after your grandfather’s declaration of Catholic Emancipation. Will you listen to your wife’s demands or have your son raised a good Anglican?

-An administrative question has arisen as a consequence of the annexation of French Louisiana. Many in the 13 Colonies wonder if the existing colonies should have their claims expanded to the west, or if new colonies should be established altogether. With growing success against the natives and subjects moving beyond the Appalachians, the question has become far more relevant. What is your view on the matter?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #474 on: October 11, 2017, 02:38:25 AM »

Kingdom of Prussia:
-Prussia sits in a dominant position in the United Provinces following the Battle of Arnhem, with Jacob Gilles now formally offering terms. He offers the Cape Colony and the restoration of William V (under the guardianship of the Staats General of course) in return for peace. Some in Berlin are urging you to reject these terms and fight for William V’s rights to rule as an absolute monarch, even if Marie Louise is making noise that she does not desire Prussia be given an inch of her grandson’s territory. Will you negotiate with the Gilles government or force it to collapse and build a whole new one, ending republicanism in the Netherlands?

-The fight in the east is far less certain. Thousands of East Prussians are fleeing into Pomerania and Brandenburg following the Polish capture of most of the region. They report of property being seized, churches being sacked, and any valuables being extracted. Furthermore, the Polish government has actively begun to settle Poles on the lands, returning them to their “former soil”. While your army outnumbers them for the time being, some fear if you attack the Army besieging Konigsberg will just march to the aid of the larger force. How will you deal with the Polish menace?

-Your capture of South Africa has been praised throughout Prussia. The local Dutch settlers though, are much less happy. There have been mild acts of resistance in Johannesburg, causing some advisors to advocate active Prussian colonization in order to outnumber the Dutch locals. Another issue is the numerous native tribes and people in the area, many of whom are used to dealing or fighting with the Dutch. How will you deal with them now that Prussia is in charge?

Kingdom of Sweden:
-The last few months of the war in Russia were mixed, at best. While there was celebration about the Swedish capture of Riga, the defeat at Tver shocked your people, many who believed war with Russia was almost complete. How the next few months develop will determine whether you continue to remain on the offense or are forced to defend Swedish lands against a resurgent Russia. How will you teach the Paulines, not to mention the wretched Austrians, a lesson? Also, your cousin Peter’s cause seems to have stalled, with his forces taking heavy casualties in the battle of Tver. His opponent’s cause, that of your niece Catherine, appears to have been strengthened. Will you cooperate with Peter again during these next few months? Or will he be abandoned as Sweden attempts to fight the war its own way?

-Your failure to address the growing unease in Finland has only caused the local fury there to grow. With Poland’s “Alliance of the Free Peoples” it is reported that some locals have begun to privately gather weapons, denounce the Crown as absolutist, and communicate with upset Caps. A rebellion may not be immediate, especially following your lauded success in Latvia, but there are numerous local officials who are quite concerned. Some are calling for some soldiers to be withdrawn from Russia in order to garrison the region. Will you?

-Your navy in the Baltic is roughly on par with the Russian fleet following the successful damage to their vessels in the capture of Riga. Some are calling on you to now assert an active policy on the Baltic Sea, hunting down the remaining Russian ships and capturing what you can. This could go a long way to ensuring Swedish control of the Baltic lasts this time. Others fear the risks to the valuable fleet are too great, failure meaning Russian control of the waters. What will you do?

Kingdom of Denmark-Norway-Iceland:
-The French largely ignored your entreaties, with the Maratha situation now looking worse than it did several months ago. Local officials are calling for Danish aid in any form, lamenting the French invasion. Some in Copenhagen wish for you to follow up your words with action by openly aiding the Marathas, while others fear a war may start that Denmark cannot win alone. How will you respond to requests for aid by a friendly nation?

-Several advisors have proposed that Denmark begin taxing all trade that sails into and out of the Baltic Sea, enforceable due to control of both sides of the strait connecting that body of water to the North Sea (Norway and Denmark). They see the policy as a way to improve the Danish economy while limiting the potential income of a powerful Prussia, Sweden, Poland, or Russia from trade. While it is likely other realms would not be happy, perhaps wrecking old friendships, Denmark does need the money. Will you institute the tax on trade crossing in and out of the Baltic?

-Danish soldiers in Russia are reportedly quite demoralized. They see little point in fighting for a King that was once their enemy in a far off realm against a ruler with whom they have no quarrel. After the heavy casualties in the Battle of Tver, some advisors are calling on you to recall the expeditionary force, as it has grown to be quite unpopular among your subjects and within the military. Many see no potential gains for Denmark from a resurgent Sweden and are curious as to why you would aid them in capturing the Baltic. Others demand you honor your word, even if it means more Danish casualties. What will you do?

Republic of Venice:
-For the first time, with the failure of establishing peace in the Netherlands, India, or Poland, Venetians are mocking your consistent neutrality. There have been whispers all throughout the Republic arguing that the idea, while nice on paper, has largely failed in practice. One anonymous leaflet discovered stated, "This policy only serves to leave us weak and alone. While the other nations strengthen and expand, we allow pirates to attack and republics to crumble". Naturally, there are those who do support your efforts, but even their patience is wearing thin. Unless you are able to show your foreign policy has been a success for Venice, the elections you've decreed for the title of Doge could come to haunt you.

-Speaking of elections, the most recent round of voting has swept in a whole new party, looking to take your reformists steps and turn them into a republican leap. Radical republicans have been voted in, primarily by the lower classes who wish to see the traditional oligarchy in Venice thrown out. They call for a more active foreign policy, in particular support of Poland, as well as reforming the Venetian government. They are opposed by the Conservatives, a broad coalition of merchant families and clergy. Your city is roughly evenly divided. Will you support either side or attempt to find a balance in the middle?

-All of Poland's proclamations about self-government, as well as Venetian reforms, seems to have awaked a self-determination sentiment among the Slavs of Dalmatia. With the region split between Italian Catholics and Slavic Orthodox, this group feels unrepresented by the status quo, and some are even advocating for the establishment of a Republic of Dalmatia, separate from Venice. How will you handle these treasonous sentiments, keeping in mind the Catholic population does not wish to secede?

Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont:
-You dodged the tax issue for a few months due to the Plague, but it has returned with the dissipation of that disease. How will you respond to growing calls for taxes on the nobles and clergy?

-Barbary pirates have targeted several Sardinian vessels recently, wreaking havoc on trade and transportation between Sardinia and your continental holdings. Prisoners have been taken and goods have been seized. How will you respond to this outrage? Some argue for a formal complaint in Istanbul, while the most zealous will not rule out military action.

-With your lack of response in Parma, an organized group in the city is now refusing to pay taxes, not flying the royal standard, and allowing the harassment of local garrisons. Needless to say, the situation has gotten worse. There is a faction openly professing a desire to reestablish the rule of the Bourbons, something even more embarrassing considering your recent alliance with them in the Catholic League. Will you crack down on the Parmese, or at very least increase the size of local garrisons? Or are the people harmless so long as their resistance is not yet violent?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies