WI Senate 2018 - "Quietly Becoming the Top Senate Race of 2018"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:09:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI Senate 2018 - "Quietly Becoming the Top Senate Race of 2018"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: What is your partisan rating for the 2018 Wisconsin Senate Race?
Safe R
Likely R
Lean R
Toss-Up
Lean D
Likely D
Safe D
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: WI Senate 2018 - "Quietly Becoming the Top Senate Race of 2018"  (Read 9780 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »

I do think this will be a competitive race. Baldwin has very middling approval ratings for an incumbent senator.

Though that NYT piece was trash. It read like a puff piece for Nicholson.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2018, 08:44:31 PM »

If Tommy Thompson couldn't beat her in 2012, I have no clue how Republican strategists think they're going to knock her down this year. This will be an even worse environment than 2012 was for Republicans.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »

" Yet Wisconsin has become a Republican stronghold:"

NYT reporting is so hilariously awful

yeah the place that just voted a dem by 12% is a republican stronghold
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »

Imagine what the money they’re pissing away on Baldwin could do in West Virginia or North Dakota or Montana or Missouri or...
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »

lolll I had to see it for myself. How does the NYT end up saying such ridiculous stuff in non-opinion column articles? It's not like they don't have the proper talent on their payroll to do a little fact-checking. "Republican stronghold" is not an ambiguous term - that is the term you'd use for a state like Wyoming or Idaho. A state with a heavy, long-term and proven Republican lean. Wisconsin is not even remotely close to that. Democrats are still plenty competitive there, it's just that the legislature seems safer R than it should be due to savage gerrymandering by Republicans.

But if Wisconsin is a "Republican stronghold" by this author's standards, I'm curious what they think of Colorado or Virginia? States with a Republican lean? :*
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »

lolll I had to see it for myself. How does the NYT end up saying such ridiculous stuff in non-opinion column articles? It's not like they don't have the proper talent on their payroll to do a little fact-checking. "Republican stronghold" is not an ambiguous term - that is the term you'd use for a state like Wyoming or Idaho. A state with a heavy, long-term and proven Republican lean. Wisconsin is not even remotely close to that. Democrats are still plenty competitive there, it's just that the legislature seems safer R than it should be due to savage gerrymandering by Republicans.

But if Wisconsin is a "Republican stronghold" by this author's standards, I'm curious what they think of Colorado or Virginia? States with a Republican lean? :*

Michigan would also be a "Republican stronghold" with the NYT reasoning. Haha. They really need Nate Cohn, Jonathan Martin, Trip Gabriel, or Alex Burns to write all the congressional race snapshot articles. They're the only NYT political writers that have written coherent stories looking at individual races this year.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »

Michigan would also be a "Republican stronghold" with the NYT reasoning. Haha. They really need Nate Cohn, Jonathan Martin, Trip Gabriel, or Alex Burns to write all the congressional race snapshot articles. They're the only NYT political writers that have written coherent stories looking at individual races this year.

The article linked I think is more for casual readers who have an interest in politics and elections but aren't political junkies or activists and such. Although to me, that makes that overly generous description even worse, because the target audience may take it at face value, as opposed to the average Atlas user, who would probably laugh it off.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2018, 12:27:57 AM »

It's hilarious how many people think that Wisconsin going Republican by less than 1% makes it a dark red state. Did Democrats describe North Carolina as a dark blue state in 2010, and declare that Burr was one of the most endangered incumbents, even after MA-SEN?

I mean, Democrats obviously can't take Wisconsin for granted in a neutral environment, but to argue that Baldwin is more vulnerable than Walker in THIS environment? Or that she's one of the most vulnerable when there are Democratic incumbents in 7 states that voted to the right of Wisconsin? This "Wisconsin is a red state now!!!!11!!!" nonsense is getting silly.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2018, 12:41:24 AM »

I assume it’s in part because Republicans have done very well at the statewide level during the Obama years (just like NC Dems did under Bush), the WI GOP is well-organized and because Feingold did a lot worse than expected in his Senate race (just like Dole in 2008). But yeah, I’m definitely not buying that WI is more Republican than MT.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2018, 01:09:56 AM »

It's hilarious how many people think that Wisconsin going Republican by less than 1% makes it a dark red state. Did Democrats describe North Carolina as a dark blue state in 2010, and declare that Burr was one of the most endangered incumbents, even after MA-SEN?

I mean, Democrats obviously can't take Wisconsin for granted in a neutral environment, but to argue that Baldwin is more vulnerable than Walker in THIS environment? Or that she's one of the most vulnerable when there are Democratic incumbents in 7 states that voted to the right of Wisconsin? This "Wisconsin is a red state now!!!!11!!!" nonsense is getting silly.

Democrats were always on a search to find a place to pick up a seat somewhere given how many seats of their own were in potential danger. OH, NC, KY, MO, AK, AZ, GA and perhaps others were all talked about at one time or another. NC was a place where Democrats did have some level of an effort throughout the entire cycle, and it took about an hour to call it on election night and ended up being the second closest republican hold (after KY). However, there was no talk about it being the "TOP SENATE RACE OF 2010!!! ATLAS FREAKOUT!!!" contest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies