WI Senate 2018 - "Quietly Becoming the Top Senate Race of 2018"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:17:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI Senate 2018 - "Quietly Becoming the Top Senate Race of 2018"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: What is your partisan rating for the 2018 Wisconsin Senate Race?
Safe R
Likely R
Lean R
Toss-Up
Lean D
Likely D
Safe D
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: WI Senate 2018 - "Quietly Becoming the Top Senate Race of 2018"  (Read 9782 times)
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »
« edited: January 05, 2018, 06:26:07 PM by mcmikk »

Personally, I'd say the race is between Toss-Up and Lean D, depending on who runs. Baldwin will probably have the advantage in the political environment, but she doesn't seem to be particularly well-known. No Republicans seem to be too interested in stepping up to the plate.

I'd say Baldwin is favored, and she shouldn't take anything for granted regardless, but if a strong Republican runs this could become a real barn-burner.
UncleSam

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »

Definitely lean D without any strong challengers. WI is a state where things could go south for her but there's no reason to think she will draw huge focus either. She's no where near Likely of course but she's favored and if no strong challengers step up she will become a heavy favorite.

Hovde could make this tossup if he wins the primary and is a good campaigner; indeed he has the potential to make this lean R potentially. He also has the potential to lose the primary badly or make it Likely D and Baldwin will be a Leans favorite minimum against anyone else I've heard of thus far.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:28:28 AM »

Lean/Likely D.

Incumbents in Wisconsin are basically invincible.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »

Somewhere between Lean and Likely D. She's probably more likely to win in a 15-20 point rout than to actually lose.
PAK Man

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »

Lean D, slowly moving to Likely D. Nobody seems eager to challenge her.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »

Likely D, baring some unforeseen scandal. The Trump backlash will pad her margin and has already driven Duffy, her worst potential foe, out of the race.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »

I'm rating this as Likely D - and perhaps even close to Safe D - until she gets a big-name challenger.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:12:18 AM »

There is some truth in that. The only incumbent Senator to lose in the last 30 years or so was Feingold, and that was in a huge GOP year.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »

Lean/Likely D.

Incumbents in Wisconsin are basically invincible.

I raise you Nelson, Kasten, Feingold, and the guy Tommy Thompson unseated.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »

Tossup to Tilt D
If Fitzgerald, Vukmir, or Hovde run it should be tossup, anyone else Tilt D
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »

Tilt D to lean D. I think Baldwin would have lost if Clinton won though, but just like Brown and some of the red state Dems she will be saved by Trump.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »

Lean to Likely D, closer to Lean D if Hovde is her opponent. As counterintuitive as it seems, I would bet there will be a decent amount of Baldwin/Walker voters.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 11:59:03 AM by Fearless Leader X »

Likely D since the Republicans don't even have a credible challenger yet and 2018 looks like it'll be a Democratic wave at this point.  If Republicans can pull a rabbit out of their hat and dig up an A-list candidate that no one's been talking about and independent polls start showing a close race after the Republican field has developed a bit, then I might consider moving it to the lower end of lean D.  Until then though, there's really no reason to think this race will be particularly competitive.  I'm not even convinced Duffy could've made this anything more than lean D, tbh.

Tossup to Tilt D
If Fitzgerald, Vukmir, or Hovde run it should be tossup, anyone else Tilt D

Those are all mid-to-weak B-list candidates at best.  I'm not convinced any of them could've made this race lean D, much less tossup.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »

Likely D since the Republicans don't even have a credible challenger yet and 2018 looks like it'll be a Democratic wave at this point.  If Republicans can pull a rabbit out of their hat and dig up an A-list candidate that no one's been talking about and independent polls start showing a close race after the Republican field has developed a bit, then I might consider moving it to the lower end of lean D.  Until then though, there's really no reason to think this race will be particularly competitive.  I'm not even convinced Duffy could've made this anything more than lean D, tbh.
Duffy has always seemed to be a paper tiger to me tbh.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »

Likely D since the Republicans don't even have a credible challenger yet and 2018 looks like it'll be a Democratic wave at this point.  If Republicans can pull a rabbit out of their hat and dig up an A-list candidate that no one's been talking about and independent polls start showing a close race after the Republican field has developed a bit, then I might consider moving it to the lower end of lean D.  Until then though, there's really no reason to think this race will be particularly competitive.  I'm not even convinced Duffy could've made this anything more than lean D, tbh.
Duffy has always seemed to be a paper tiger to me tbh.

Agreed.  I think Democrats are making a mistake by not targeting him this cycle with a wave insurance candidate.  
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »

Lean to Likely D, closer to Lean D if Hovde is her opponent. As counterintuitive as it seems, I would bet there will be a decent amount of Baldwin/Walker voters.

What? How? Wisconsin is way too polarized for that. The state has a history of electing both extremely conservative and extremely progressive politicians, which Walker and Baldwin actually demonstrate quite well. I can say with a decent amount of confidence that there's no way they're both winning. Wisconsin hasn't split parties in Senate and Gubernatorial contests since 1994, and I don't really see how Walker could have any appeal to potential Baldwin voters, and vice-versa.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »

What? How? Wisconsin is way too polarized for that. The state has a history of electing both extremely conservative and extremely progressive politicians, which Walker and Baldwin actually demonstrate quite well. I can say with a decent amount of confidence that there's no way they're both winning. Wisconsin hasn't split parties in Senate and Gubernatorial contests since 1994, and I don't really see how Walker could have any appeal to potential Baldwin voters, and vice-versa.

Didn't they split in 2012 in the recall?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »

The recall election took place months before the presidential election.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »

Sorry for the mistake then.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »

Also, in 1998, they reelected both Thompson and Feingold.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »

Toss up. She's too liberal for the state.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »

Lean D
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »

Also, in 1998, they reelected both Thompson and Feingold.

That's true, but Thompson was a different kind of beast. He transcended ideology, party labels, demographics, everything, and he would consistently win in landslides. That also happened in 1994. I'd argue Sen. Herb Kohl who was reelected then was similar to Thompson in that respect.

Then again, there weren't a whole lot of quasi-recent midterms with both a Senator and a non-Thompson Governor on the ballot.

2010 - Walker and Johnson won
2006 - Doyle and Kohl won
1998 - Thompson and Feingold won
1994 - Thompson and Kohl won
1986 - Thompson and Kasten won

However, if we look at when Presidential and Senate contests aligned, Wisconsin hasn't split ticket since 1968.

2016 - Trump and Johnson won
2012 - Obama and Baldwin won
2004 - Kerry and Feingold won
2000 - Gore and Kohl won
1992 - Clinton and Feingold won
1988 - Dukakis and Kohl won

1980 - Reagan and Kasten won
1976 - Carter and Proxmire won
1968 - Nixon and Nelson won
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 04:05:53 PM by freepcrusher »

I'd put it around likely D. Some of you will say that "times are different" but WI D incumbent senators have done quite well in past outparty midterms

2006: Kohl 67.31%
1982: Proxmire 63.6%
1974: Nelson 61.8%
1970: Proxmire 70.8%
1958: Proxmire (only a semi-incumbent) 57.1%

if Baldwin can't win by a solid amount in a strong dem year against a sh**t opponent, then she should probably be primaried in 2024 if she doesn't retire.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »

It's true that Wisconsin is very polarized, and tends to elect very liberal Democrats and very conservative Republicans, but we don't know who Baldwin's or Walker's opponent will be yet. Also, I would mention that while Wisconsin voted for both Kerry and Feingold in 2004, Feingold won by over 10%, while Kerry won by just 0.4%. I'm not saying that Walker and Baldwin could both win by double digits, but I think Walker winning by 2% while Baldwin wins by 4% is a feasible outcome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies