AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:35:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 31
Poll
Question: Could Martha McSally become the establishment candidate?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?  (Read 66173 times)
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: October 24, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »

How could you say that as a Republican? She would block the President's agenda if elected.

What do you think Flake has been doing?

Honestly at this point I dislike RINOs so much I'd prefer Democrats.

McCain to me is worse than Schumer and Warren for example.

My 2 biggest problems with her from what I can tell is her stance on illegal immigration (she uses the "make them pay back taxes" meme) and gun control. But Flake is also bad on those positions anyway.

If I am going to get stabbed might as well be from the front rather than the back know what I mean?

Voting with the President 95% of the time? Are you an idiot?

Do you need to really need to ask?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #501 on: October 24, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »

In all likelihood, whether this is good or bad for the GOP, or DeWit runs, I think this seat will go to Sinema. It's going to be an anti-Trump midterm.

You have no way of knowing what the sentiment will be a year from now. Too many variables. Sinema is the strongest Dem candidate in years, of course, but even now, she was, with the little data we have, running in a statistical tie with WARD.

A variable that won't change: An open seat in a swing state during a midterm with an unpopular incumbent.

1. Arizona still Tilts R, at least for now.
2. Trump could be popular a year from now, you have no way of knowing.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #502 on: October 24, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »

I could be wrong about my overall characterization of the 2018 midterms. There are two assumptions I'm using that lead to my Leans Democratic characterization.

1. 2018 will be a bad year overall for the Republican Party.

This is based on Trump's approval rating, generic ballot numbers, and historical trends. Midterms are almost always bad for the party in power. The only exceptions in the last half century were after a botched impeachment and 9/11. Even Reagan had two bad midterms. Remember that in the 2010 Tea Party wave, the GOP was less popular than Obama. Didn't matter. So in that kind of national environment, Sinema is probably favored in Arizona, especially for an open seat.

2. Kelly Ward fits a pattern of failed GOP Senate candidates, and would be the underdog even if the national environment favored the GOP.

This does NOT apply to DeWitt. But Ward strikes many of the same chords as Sharon Angle, Todd Akin, Christine O'Donnell, et cetera. Angle lost in Nevada even in the Tea Party Wave, against Harry Reid.

2016 changed nothing when it comes to GOP senate candidates. Almost every GOP win on the Senatorial level was with an incumbent, and Todd Young is no Richard Murdock.

What about the Trump effect? The Black Swan effect?

Would you mind defining your terms? The Trump effects could refer to any number of things, and I have yet to hear of something called the Black Swan effect.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #503 on: October 24, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »

I know how politics work.

They let McCain, Murkowski, and Collins take the fall. Flake is a RINO anti-Trump piece of crap through and through. McCain votes 85% among Trump too.

It's like when they sent 593953953 Obamacare repeal bills to Obama's desk just to get vetoed, but once they get a President that won't veto it all of a sudden they got nothing.

How can you not know how politics is played?
ahugecat

« Reply #504 on: October 24, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »

Would you mind defining your terms? The Trump effects could refer to any number of things, and I have yet to hear of something called the Black Swan effect.

"Trump has NO chance to..." then he ends up doing it.

"Trump has NO chance to win the GOP nomination" then he ends up winning it.

"Trump has NO chance to win 270 electoral votes" then he ends up doing that.

etc. etc.

"Trump will not make it to the first GOP debate"

"Trump will not make it to Iowa"

"This is the beginning of the end for Trump"

"Trump will not get 1,237 delegates"

"Trump will not win the nomination by May the math is just not there"

"Trump will not win the Wisconsin recount" (ends up IMPROVING his margin)

"Trump will get a ton of faithless electors" (Clinton ended up getting more and got the most in 100 years)

The "Trump effect" in essence is the fact he's always right and you're always wrong.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #505 on: October 24, 2017, 03:55:50 PM »

How could you say that as a Republican? She would block the President's agenda if elected.

What do you think Flake has been doing?

Honestly at this point I dislike RINOs so much I'd prefer Democrats.

McCain to me is worse than Schumer and Warren for example.

My 2 biggest problems with her from what I can tell is her stance on illegal immigration (she uses the "make them pay back taxes" meme) and gun control. But Flake is also bad on those positions anyway.

If I am going to get stabbed might as well be from the front rather than the back know what I mean?

Do you need to really need to ask?
This is what US politics has devolved into. If you speak out against bad conduct by the party's figurehead, you're shunned by the noisy fringe of the party, regardless of how often you vote with that figurehead.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #506 on: October 24, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »

Just saw the news. Wow
ahugecat

« Reply #507 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »

It's like how Paul Ryan in 2014 said Obama's DACA order was "unconstitutional" and wrong, but the second Trump rescinds it he goes nuts and says he shouldn't have did that.

It's like how GOP Senators pretended to be against subsidies for Obamacare and "forced" Obama to do it via executive order, yet when Trump rescinds those, all of a sudden Schumer has magically "found" the correct number of Republicans he needs (12) to pass the subsidies in Congress.

Wow! What a total shock.

I love how Trump is not only draining the swamp, but exposing it for all to see.

It's beautiful.
ahugecat

« Reply #508 on: October 24, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »

This is what US politics has devolved into. If you speak out against bad conduct by the party's figurehead, you're shunned by the noisy fringe of the party, regardless of how often you vote with that figurehead.

Flake is no friend of Trump.

And that's fine - he knows his fate and has accepted it.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #509 on: October 24, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2017, 04:01:14 PM by Devout Centrist »

They let McCain, Murkowski, and Collins take the fall. Flake is a RINO anti-Trump piece of crap through and through. McCain votes 85% among Trump too.

It's like when they sent 593953953 Obamacare repeal bills to Obama's desk just to get vetoed, but once they get a President that won't veto it all of a sudden they got nothing.

No, you clearly do not. A vote for your agenda, even from someone who isn't 100% ideologically pure, is better than someone hostile to it.

Flake voted to repeal to ACA, btw.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #510 on: October 24, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »

Most likely DeWit caves to and endorses Chemtrail Kelli. Lean D.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: October 24, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »

etc. etc.

"Trump will get a ton of faithless electors" (Clinton ended up getting more and got the most in 100 years)

The "Trump effect" in essence is the fact he's always right and you're always wrong.

The key issue here is that the "Trump effect" as you describe it only applies to Trump himself. There doesn't seem to be a "Residual Trump effect" that carries over to Non-Trump Republican candidates. Or to the extent that there might be, it's shaky at best. Trump, after all, did endorse Luther Strange, but Strange did not defy expectations to win his election.
ahugecat

« Reply #512 on: October 24, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because Collins/McCain/Murkowski voted against repealing it.

Flake didn't need to expose himself.

People gotta learn about politics - the GOP Establishment never had any intention to replace Obamacare which is why I feel a 2018 Trumpian revolution is necessary.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #513 on: October 24, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »

No, you clearly do not.
ahugecat

« Reply #514 on: October 24, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »

The key issue here is that the "Trump effect" as you describe it only applies to Trump himself. There doesn't seem to be a "Residual Trump effect" that carries over to Non-Trump Republican candidates. Or to the extent that there might be, it's shaky at best. Trump, after all, did endorse Luther Strange, but Strange did not defy expectations to win his election.

Strange lost to a Trumpian candidate though.

People like Trumpism. Trump needs to realize that too.

Also the Georgia House race was a "referendum on Trump" when everyone though Handel would lose.

The GOP will be fine in 2018 - 60+ seats is in reach.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #515 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #516 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:19 PM »

Btw, Flake is an utter scumbag whose son used "n1--erkiller" as an online username. I hope these "moderate" Republican senators all get primaried by less "respectable" wackos.  
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »

No, you clearly do not.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #518 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »

etc. etc.

As much as I hate to agree, you're absolutely right on this. Dems seem to be unable or unwilling to learn that their wishful thinking is not always going to manifest into reality. Dems were crushed by 2014, crushed by 2016, crushed by the loss of Ossoff and Quist, and will be crushed again by the loss of Jones if they don't stop kidding themselves.

With that said, you're being just as bad. Trump is not an invincible titan. He lost the popular vote by a significant margin and only won the three decisive states by <1%. He is definitely beatable in 2020.
ahugecat

« Reply #519 on: October 24, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »

Btw, Flake is an utter scumbag whose son used "n1--erkiller" as an online username. I hope these "moderate" Republican senators all get primaried by less "respectable" wackos.  

In all fairness what did Jeff say about that? If he defended it then yeah that's scumbaggish, but if he totally condemned his son then why the beef with Flake?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »

etc. etc.

As much as I hate to agree, you're absolutely right on this. Dems seem to be unable or unwilling to learn that their wishful thinking is not always going to manifest into reality. Dems were crushed by 2014, crushed by 2016, crushed by the loss of Ossoff and Quist, and will be crushed again by the loss of Jones if they don't stop kidding themselves.

With that said, you're being just as bad. Trump is not an invincible titan. He lost the popular vote by a significant margin and only won the three decisive states by <1%. He is definitely beatable in 2020.

You're right that he's no titan, but don't use the popular vote argument. We aren't the United States of Los Angeles. Leave it at he only won by squeaking by in the midwest.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:02 PM »

Were there ever statewide approval polls taken for Ward during the 2016 GOP primary? Can't seem to find any to substantiate claims that Ward would be treated like Todd Akin

Anyways: BIG news. Wonder if Heller will stay in? It's starting to look like the Bannon purge is helping candidates self-purge by deciding to not bother with competitive races WITH a from-the-right primary. Tarkanian's no Ward tbf
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:31 PM »

Strange lost to a Trumpian candidate though.

People like Trumpism. Trump needs to realize that too.

Also the Georgia House race was a "referendum on Trump" when everyone though Handel would lose.

The GOP will be fine in 2018 - 60+ seats is in reach.

That's not the same thing, though. Donald Trump the man and Trumpism the ideology are separate entities, and I would argue we've yet to see Trumpism without Trump actually tested in an electoral context.

Roy Moore isn't Trumpist. Trump was never tied to the evangelical movement, and indeed won by making large gains among non-religious whites. Moore's been his own thing for a long, long time.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #523 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because Collins/McCain/Murkowski voted against repealing it.

Flake didn't need to expose himself.

People gotta learn about politics - the GOP Establishment never had any intention to replace Obamacare which is why I feel a 2018 Trumpian revolution is necessary.
...you won't be a good leader.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »

Can’t we at least ban ahuge”cat” from the boards people actually want to read? jfc
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies