Multiple Clinton supporters to challenge Bernie for his Senate seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 06:31:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Multiple Clinton supporters to challenge Bernie for his Senate seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Multiple Clinton supporters to challenge Bernie for his Senate seat  (Read 2258 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »
« edited: July 07, 2017, 09:17:05 PM by Shadows »

Vermont resident Jon Svitavsky announced on July 5 that he is challenging Sen. Bernie Sanders in his upcoming re-election in 2018. In June 2016, NBC host Joy Reid did a profile in the Daily Beast on Al Giordano, who gained a sizable following of Clinton supporters on Twitter during the primaries. Giordano claimed he would run against Sanders in 2018 but has yet to file and currently resides in Mexico City. Vermont Public Radio reported, “Jon Svitavsky, 59, says he believes that Sanders’ ‘divisive’ politics have fractured the Democratic Party nationally and paved the way for the rise of Republican President Donald Trump.” According to Svitavsky, he was recruited by a group called Organizing for Democrats-U.S.A to run against Sanders. The organization isn’t filed with the FEC and has a small following on Facebook.

On its Facebook page on June 15,  the group posted, “Today OFD represents the Democratic Party candidate for U.S. Senate in the State of Vermont. After Sanders voted to protect Mother Russia today, the decision was made to make this declaration.” The day before, the organization published in another post that it is “time for Democrats to unite against the Bernie Bot elements.” Folasade Adeluola, a Clinton supporter based in Indiana, also announced she is running to unseat Sanders in 2018. Her campaign website features a selfie with her and Hillary Clinton. She only has to be a legal resident of Vermont the day before the election to be eligible for the Senate seat, capitalizing on the opportunity to represent people of a state she doesn’t live in.

http://observer.com/2017/07/clinton-supporters-challenge-bernie-sanders-senate-seat/
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »

The Clintons are the gift that keeps on giving.........to the pubs.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »

They wouldn't be running against him in the Primary since he is an independent and not a Democrat.  Hillary Clinton supporters running against him in the general election sounds like a waste of time to me, but they're free to do what they want.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »

Whats the difference when Sanders supporters primary Clinton supporters? They're free to do as the like.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »

Whats the difference when Sanders supporters primary Clinton supporters? They're free to do as the like.

Are there a lot of Sander's supporters who are challenging incumbent Democrats in the primaries?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »

Are there a lot of Sander's supporters who are challenging incumbent Democrats in the primaries?

Im not sure how many primaries the Justice Democrats are competing in. The most noteworthy is against Manchin.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:52:33 AM »

This.

Anyway this is dumb and a waste of time and money.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:40 AM »

Im not sure how many primaries the Justice Democrats are competing in. The most noteworthy is against Manchin.

Manchin is the one Democrat I'd like to see facing a serious primary challenge.  I understand he supported Hillary Clinton in the election, but I'd hardly call him either a 'Clinton Democrat' or a 'loyal Democrat.'  He's a hopeless sinner who has dishonestly sold out the Democratic Party multiple times just to save his own.  

If I were advising his Democratic Primary opponent, I'd tell that person to go hard on telling West Virginians how he sold them a bill of goods that once President Obama was gone that thousands of coal mining jobs would come back.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »

Manchin is the one Democrat I'd like to see facing a serious primary challenge.  I understand he supported Hillary Clinton in the election, but I'd hardly call him either a 'Clinton Democrat' or a 'loyal Democrat.'  He's a hopeless sinner who has dishonestly sold out the Democratic Party multiple times just to save his own.  

If I were advising his Democratic Primary opponent, I'd tell that person to go hard on telling West Virginians how he sold them a bill of goods that once President Obama was gone that thousands of coal mining jobs would come back.

I really disagree with this.

I don't care for Manchin either, but he is the best Democrat that you can get in WV and he votes with the Democarts on all the major legislation.

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2017, 12:12:22 PM by Adam T »

I don't care for Manchin either, but he is the best Democrat that you can get in WV and he votes with the Democarts on all the major legislation.

And I really disagree with that.  He lied to his constituents regarding the coal jobs and on numerous occasions he has used dishonest Republican talking points that potentially hurt other Democratic candidates across the United States and his support of Republicans and their dishonesty allowed them and the media to claim 'the Republicans have bipartisan support.'

I'd rather have a Republican in the seat than an untrustworthy backstabber like him.  He's just one vote out of 100 and I think, on balance, the alternative of him not being in the U.S Senate is better for the Democratic Party and for the United States.

Besides, if there is a backlash from the people of West Virginia as it becomes clear to them that they've been lied to about coal mining jobs returning, I think the Democrats should be in a position to benefit from that backlash.

That the Republican Party with Trump benefited from the increasing anger over rising income inequality is absurd and those are the sorts of things the Democrats have to prevent from happening again.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »

LOL pls
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is dumb.

Democrats need as many D's as they can get in Congress. Regardless of Manchin's fault, you can rely on him to vote for the big, important legislation, you are not going to get that with a Republican.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »

Ok, but they're not going to come close to winning.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

This is dumb.

Democrats need as many D's as they can get in Congress. Regardless of Manchin's fault, you can rely on him to vote for the big, important legislation, you are not going to get that with a Republican.

From Wiki:
As a senator, Manchin is known for his bipartisanship, voting or working with Republicans on issues such as abortion and gun ownership. He has opposed the energy policies of President Barack Obama, declined to vote on both the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 and the DREAM ACT, voted for removing federal funding from Planned Parenthood in 2015 and against in 2017, and voted to confirm most of Donald Trump's Cabinet appointees.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »

They wouldn't be running against him in the Primary since he is an independent and not a Democrat.  Hillary Clinton supporters running against him in the general election sounds like a waste of time to me, but they're free to do what they want.
Actually, they will be. Sanders M.O. has been to run in primary, win, and then decline the nomination so that he can run as an "Independent" .
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »

Lol enjoy your 10%.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »

Actually, they will be. Sanders M.O. has been to run in primary, win, and then decline the nomination so that he can run as an "Independent" .

So I see.   It was when he was a member of the U.S House that Democrats sometimes ran against him, and other times, Sanders won the Democratic primary as a write in candidate.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »

This is dumb.

From Wiki:
As a senator, Manchin is known for his bipartisanship, voting or working with Republicans on issues such as abortion and gun ownership. He has opposed the energy policies of President Barack Obama, declined to vote on both the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 and the DREAM ACT, voted for removing federal funding from Planned Parenthood in 2015 and against in 2017, and voted to confirm most of Donald Trump's Cabinet appointees.

You mean he only voted with the Democrats 95% of the time?Might as well be a republican.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

This is dumb.

From Wiki:

You mean he only voted with the Democrats 95% of the time?Might as well be a republican.

I suspect he voted with the Democrats much more when Obama was popular and voted with the Republicans much more when Obama was unpopular.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »

I don't care for Manchin either, but he is the best Democrat that you can get in WV

Primarying Manchin is a dumb idea, but this is very slanderous against the great state of West Virginia.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »

This is dumb.

From Wiki:

I suspect he voted with the Democrats much more when Obama was popular and voted with the Republicans much more when Obama was unpopular.

Even at his least partisan, Manchin still votes with Democrats like 80% of the time. In WV is that really such a sin?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »

This is dumb.

From Wiki:

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »

Blow an election against Donald "Grab 'em the P*ssy" Trump. Lose control of elected offices to 1920s levels against a GOP leadership led by Mitch McConnell and Paul "keggers and Medicaid killer" Ryan. Hold onto power despite enormous unpopularity and destruction of the party at all levels. And commit yourself to learn absolutely nothing and double-down on your worst possible ideas. Considering what the Clinton wing of the party has done, does this or the following article surprise anyone?

Clinton Strategist Mark Penn Pushes Democrats To Move To Center - And Quietly Profits From GOP Victories
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »

Almost every senator in both parties gets a token primary challenger or two. Bernie will get over 90% of the vote in the primary, and he should.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 02:35:27 PM »

Almost every senator in both parties gets a token primary challenger or two. Bernie will get over 90% of the vote in the primary, and he should.

You can't primary challenge an Independent. So, they'll just primary each other then run against Sanders and a Republican in the general. They'll ultimately lose, but their hope is that by doing this, they'll reduce Sanders' votes enough to let the Republican win. Typical Clinton-esque strategy; fear and destroy progressives even if it means a Republican wins.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies