Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:25:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions  (Read 3026 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 03:24:59 AM »

Only a tiny number of women would ever elect to have an abortion unless they felt it was necessary

lol wut?

Like 1 in 4 women in the US have had an abortion. In some urban areas, more than half of pregnancies end in abortion.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 03:43:41 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2017, 03:46:06 AM by Jacobin American »

Only a tiny number of women would ever elect to have an abortion unless they felt it was necessary

lol wut?

Like 1 in 4 women in the US have had an abortion. In some urban areas, more than half of pregnancies end in abortion.

And? What evidence do you have that shows the overwhelming majority of those women did not pursue an abortion due to some necessity (product of rape or incest, health of mother or fetus, finances, perceived inability to properly raise a child, etc...)? Only a small minority of women treat abortions as anything short of a serious matter; they don't elect to get them for the hell of it.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 03:52:29 AM »

I 100% support this bill. Why place roadblocks in the way of someone getting an abortion? If they want an abortion, it's better for them, that fetus, and society that they do not keep it. The fewer unwanted children or ones that cannot be adequately provided for, the better off everyone will be. Only a tiny number of women would ever elect to have an abortion unless they felt it was necessary, so making it harder, particularly for low-income women and those underage, is helping what, exactly?

Cause the government shouldn't be funding morally questionable things(and I'm not talking legislating it just funding them )

Great!  I never thought I'd see you agree with me about the need for nuclear disarmament ASAP, but apparently you do!  I mean the government shouldn't be funding morally questionable things like that!
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 03:57:16 AM »

Most women who have abortions have abortions because they want abortions, yes, that's true. Sort of a stupid and obvious thing to point out though.

A lot of women have abortions though. It's not a tiny number. Most of them are not medically necessary. Most are financial, even if they are financial though, they are still elective.

I support the right to elective abortion but we need to be honest about it.

Abortions are common, don't try to mislead people otherwise. Poor women do not have to have abortions. Our welfare system is designed specifically to benefit women with children. A lot of poor women actually have their financial standing improved by having children.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 06:13:31 AM »

Gross
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »

Excellent, good to see at least one state joining the rest of the Western World.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »

Right now, somewhere in the United States, ExtremeRepublican's head is literally exploding.

This is a waste of tax payer money

Compared to what? Neo-natal care and child birth are hardly cheap. On a purely short term economic basis, providing free abortions saves money. Not that economics should be the sole determinant of policy, but the fiscal implications cleary are in favor of providing abortion on demand.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »

I'm not sure I agree with this. I line up more with Virginia's POV on the matter. I'd much rather we make it rain with birth control, particularly IUDs. Abortion is a sad matter, even if I support a woman's right to choose to have one
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 12:43:22 PM »

All I can say is the left has gone just as insane has the right has , the center right and center left need to take back the country from these people .
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »

Hey all you guys here, remember that YOUR gender is responsible for ALL pregnancies that occur.

It's so easy for men to talk about abortion with only the females in mind. YOUR private part was included in the fun. If ALL men took precautions when they had sex with females, then there would be FAR FEWER pregnancies.

Men are just as responsible for not bringing unwanted children in the world as females are. Both parties need to take responsibility when they have sex.

I am especially tired of hearing all the moralistic men out there judging females wanting abortions and being against help for females having them. Then do your part and never have unprotected sex unless you are definitely wanting children.

There are many factors that go into a female's decision to have an abortion that men cannot fathom. Keep your moralistic judgment for your own actions.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »

This is disgusting. Government has no business funding abortion-on-demand at all. It's affront to all the unborn who deserve the chance to not be murdered, and it's affront to those who care deeply about the welfare of said unborn. Funding abortion on demand like this amounts to subsidized murder.
The government by all means should subsidize in full the abortions of poor mothers who can't afford the procedure and whose life depends on the procedure being done, and ditto in case in rape. But funding anything beyond that is making a terrible value judgment. This is a sad day for the unborn in the state of Oregon.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »

Hey all you guys here, remember that YOUR gender is responsible for ALL pregnancies that occur.

It's so easy for men to talk about abortion with only the females in mind. YOUR private part was included in the fun. If ALL men took precautions when they had sex with females, then there would be FAR FEWER pregnancies.

Men are just as responsible for not bringing unwanted children in the world as females are. Both parties need to take responsibility when they have sex.

I am especially tired of hearing all the moralistic men out there judging females wanting abortions and being against help for females having them. Then do your part and never have unprotected sex unless you are definitely wanting children.

There are many factors that go into a female's decision to have an abortion that men cannot fathom. Keep your moralistic judgment for your own actions.

Fine ok keep it legal to do so but DONT FUND IT
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

Unfortunately, science has not invented a birth control pill for men. If it existed, I would gladly take it, and I'm sure many men who aren't ready for fatherhood would take it too
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »

Oh look, attack of the strawmen.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »

I think this could be an ideal starting point for a compromise legislation - have it free and easy for the relatively unproblematic (both ethically and health-wise) first trimester non surgical abortions and heavily restrict later abortions.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »

If it's any consolation, this is atlas. 99% of the men here will never be in a situation where impregnating a woman is a realistic outcome.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »

All I can say is the left has gone just as insane has the right has , the center right and center left need to take back the country from these people .

Almost the rest of the Western world has the government pay for abortion as part of free general health services. Why is this only controversial here?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2017, 01:37:17 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker TimTurner »

Almost the rest of the Western world has the government pay for abortion as part of free general health services. Why is this only controversial here?

Because in this nation we care more for the unborn. At least until they are born anyway.
After birth? That's another story. Tongue
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »

Right now, somewhere in the United States, ExtremeRepublican's head is literally exploding.

Of all the objections you could have with this, "taxpayer money" was the first thing that came to mind? And you wonder why nobody respects you.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »

Of all the objections you could have with this, "taxpayer money" was the first thing that came to mind? And you wonder why nobody respects you.

No it wasn't I though that is the only argument that could convince the left not to support this .

Of course I find it morally outrageous but that's not the way to convince the left
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »

No it wasn't I though that is the only argument that could convince the left not to support this .

Of course I find it morally outrageous but that's not the way to convince the left

You really thought most lefties would care about tax payer dollars being wasted?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »

Most women who have abortions have abortions because they want abortions, yes, that's true. Sort of a stupid and obvious thing to point out though.

A lot of women have abortions though. It's not a tiny number. Most of them are not medically necessary. Most are financial, even if they are financial though, they are still elective.

I support the right to elective abortion but we need to be honest about it.

Abortions are common, don't try to mislead people otherwise. Poor women do not have to have abortions. Our welfare system is designed specifically to benefit women with children. A lot of poor women actually have their financial standing improved by having children.

This is a right-wing myth. The only way this is true is if they live in a state where Medicaid is restricted to people with dependent children, in which case she could get health coverage after having kids but not before. But it's highly unlikely that the value of those benefits would ever exceed the cost of raising children.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »

You really thought most lefties would care about tax payer dollars being wasted?

The center left posters probably do , and those are the kinda people who we need to stop this .
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »

I think this could be an ideal starting point for a compromise legislation - have it free and easy for the relatively unproblematic (both ethically and health-wise) first trimester non surgical abortions and heavily restrict later abortions.

Isn't that how Europe does it? I'd be fine with heavy restrictions anywhere after 24 weeks but YMMV (obviously those restrictions would have to have exceptions for rape/incest/threat to mother's life)
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »

This is a right-wing myth. The only way this is true is if they live in a state where Medicaid is restricted to people with dependent children, in which case she could get health coverage after having kids but not before. But it's highly unlikely that the value of those benefits would ever exceed the cost of raising children.
Actually, it is not a right-wing myth. Poor people are more likely to believe this than middle-class or rich people, and they have more direct, albeit anecdotal, experience with the welfare state. The poor are also much more likely to believe that churches should be the main organizations responsible for social welfare, despite left-wing assertions that this is also a fringe right-wing belief.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies