Confirmation Hearing - Snowguy716 for SoS (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:04:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing - Snowguy716 for SoS (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing - Snowguy716 for SoS (Confirmed)  (Read 1052 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:17:30 PM »
« edited: August 06, 2017, 12:58:31 PM by Goldwater »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bring on them questions!
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »

Mr. Snowguy, first let me say it is great to see you getting back into the game.  I still remember casting one of my first votes for you when you ran for president six years ago. Grin

Two questions.  One - do you intend to finish the foreign policy review started by Secretary Ted?  Second - what is your position on Israeli settlements, and what would be your response to this matter as Secretary of State?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »

To the nominee, how would you describe your foreign policy philosophy?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »

To start this off, I will get back to specific policy related questions once I've had a better chance to discuss the President's ideas on the issues.

My chief philosophy as the official face and hand of Atlasia will be one of purposeful peace.  I do not believe military action should be anything but a last resort for Atlasia.  Despite the threat of terrorism, what will ultimately take the gust out of the terrorists' sail is a tight bond between nations. 

If we had the mind to think outside of our little box of horrors that we call "reality", we'd see we were a bunch of chatty, well organized humanoids wearing the same 3 or 4 fabrics eating the same handful of basic foods, the vast majority of whom pray to the "same God" and have engaged in a giant clusterf**k of a game called "civilization" in which we randomly give a few families an immense amount of control over wealth and power... all of which are concepts we made up by cracking sea shells together at the campfire after a relatively easy day looking for food long ago when we were nearly apes.  That is to say, we're all very nearly the same. 

Rant over, purposeful peace is ultimately a philosophy of peace except when the world needs peacekeeping for a purpose.  I stress that our military presence should be one of peacekeeping and not one of nation building, empire building, or resource stealing... but diplomacy and close friendships are the medicine for many of the ills in the world.

And let's face it, boys (and girl(s))... My hand-eye coordination is sh**t.... I'm way better at bullsh**tting.  So let's use the weapons God gave us to the best of our ability.  Wink
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »

To expand on the issue of Israeli-Palestinian peace, the administration believes that a 2 state solution is ideal with a peaceful stoppage of any new settlements and taking the time necessary to hash out borders and how the two nations would interact with one another... keeping the Jerusalem issue separate for the time being.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »

Any more questions?  Anything?

Like, would the nominee support recognizing an independent Kekistan if such a hypothetical were to come up?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:42:33 PM »

While admittedly not a senator, I'm going to ask some questions anyways. The Vice President may feel free to drag me kicking and screaming from the chamber at his leisure.

(1) Is there anything in particular you would like to accomplish as Secretary of State?
(2) On a related note, what role ought the State Department play in the broader game? Are you merely an adviser to the president, a sort of one-man think tank, or do you see yourself interacting with Congress and the public in a significant way?
(3) Would you describe your administrative philosophy as primarily proactive or reactive?
(4) What do you personally consider the greatest threat to Atlasian interests abroad?
(5) Do you plan on completing the Foreign Policy Review begun some eight months ago by Secretary Bessell, as is required by law?
(6) Would you support reinstating the National Security Council as a forum for foreign policy decision making?

Thanks in advance. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:47 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2017, 12:59:06 AM by Barnes »

I am personally continually weary of this Administration's foreign policy, as I see the idea of "isolationism" as a rather ill-conceived and entirely unrealistic philosophy for a world power such as Atlasia to pursue.  I ran and was elected on a platform which espoused a profound belief in the value of international diplomacy and multilateral agreements between nations.

This has, personally, always been my creed in dealing with foreign affairs, and it is one which I hope one day a new administration will reestablish with vigor.  However, Mr. Snowguy is a very esteemed Atlasian and, I think, would have no difficulty in managing the Department of State.  On that basis, he should be given the opportunity to prove himself in doing the job.

The best way, I think, for me and others who believe in a confident, dynamic, and constructive international approach, to continue this debate will be over the legislative process as we continue to scrutinize the Administration.  This cannot happen with the position of Secretary of State unfilled.

I would like, at this time, however, to take the opportunity to pose a few questions to the nominee, namely:

1. Can you give us your view on the present crisis in North Korea, your opinion on the approach pursued so far in relation to it by the President and by your predecessor, and what a possible position can be moving forward?

2. Could you, in a broad sense, outline your opinions of the value and need of international aid by Atlasia? In particular, would you support, from your position, legislation for emergency aid to the four areas in Africa currently on the brink of "catastrophic famine," South Sudan, Yemen, Somalia, and northern Nigeria?

3. How would you characterize the current state of the armed forces and intelligence services, with particular emphasis on their ability to respond to international terrorism?

4. Besides the aforementioned Foreign Policy Review, are there any other legislative proposals which you would be interested in presenting to the Congress?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »

Sorry to jump in but this administration has not been isolationist at all, it has been non-interventionist and there is a huge difference. Isolationism = A policy or doctrine of trying to isolate one's country from the affairs of other nations by declining to enter into alliances, foreign economic commitments, international agreements, and generally attempting to make one's economy entirely self-reliant; seeking to devote the entire efforts of one's country to its own advancement, both diplomatically and economically, while remaining in a state of peace by avoiding foreign entanglements and responsibilities.

So we are not isolationist, we are non-interventionist, which is a good thing. Please take the time to learn the difference.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »

My god the FPR is going to be fun to get through Congress. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »

Oh dear me, we see a return of the same sad excuses. Please do no insert yourself in here to recite platitudes without producing an actual policy in which you believe.

There has been a lacking presence of leadership, or, in fact, action of any kind. I think it is just such a wasted opportunity to not engage in any meaningful way with foreign policy as a means for both diplomacy and as an opportunity to do things which are interesting for the game.

There has not been a single statement on North Korea from the GM's Department, the now former Secretary of State, or from the White House since May. Regardless of policy or proposals, it is a quisling attitude to just produce nothing.  

That is the great failing here, we scrafice the chance of months of interesting and highly contentious debates over things like refugees, terrorist networks, trade, regional diplomacy, etc, for a policy of just doing little and believing even less.

Again, I am some one of a very different set of mind and caliber, and the Administration has every right to advocate and defend its policy. But the problem is there is no policy, and no attempt to defend or explain it. More than anything, I was us to be able to do something on the foreign affairs front and make that an interesting and developed section of the game, not just an area for bland, throw-away statements to be swept under the rug.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »

My god the FPR is going to be fun to get through Congress. Tongue

I am certainly looking forward to it! Grin
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »

Oh dear me, we see a return of the same sad excuses. Please do no insert yourself in here to recite platitudes without producing an actual policy in which you believe.

There has been a lacking presence of leadership, or, in fact, action of any kind. I think it is just such a wasted opportunity to not engage in any meaningful way with foreign policy as a means for both diplomacy and as an opportunity to do things which are interesting for the game.

There has not been a single statement on North Korea from the GM's Department, the now former Secretary of State, or from the White House since May. Regardless of policy or proposals, it is a quisling attitude to just produce nothing. 

That is the great failing here, we scrafice the chance of months of interesting and highly contentious debates over things like refugees, terrorist networks, trade, regional diplomacy, etc, for a policy of just doing little and believing even less.

Again, I am some one of a very different set of mind and caliber, and the Administration has every right to advocate and defend its policy. But the problem is there is no policy, and no attempt to defend or explain it. More than anything, I was us to be able to do something on the foreign affairs front and make that an interesting and developed section of the game, not just an area for bland, throw-away statements to be swept under the rug.
Sorry to intrude but the GM department issued a statement on the very  issue of North Korea last night.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=260661.msg5736267#new
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »

Well I am more than happy to stand corrected on that point, as I keep saying we need to have a debate on the issues. But my entire point is that this marks the first case for five weeks that we have heard or said anything on the topic.

I hope we can prod some more time for interest or debate from this issue and others around the globe.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »

It is not that I don't have a policy, it is that said policy is to generally stay out of things because we almost always make things worse, it's a smart policy. That being said part of the reason there is less FP discussion these days is because we have not had an active GM to help carry through said events.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »

Senator Scott, might it be possible to draw Mr. Snowguy's attention to the queue of questions posed to him?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »

I'm aware of the questions and I will have responses to them shortly.  I apologize for the wait!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »

I'm aware of the questions and I will have responses to them shortly.  I apologize for the wait!

No problem at all, Snowy. We have all the time in the world!
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

I've been busy because my sister is visiting from out of town irl. I want to reiterate that my style in foreign policy is peaceful, confident, compassionate, and neighborly. Nit enough has been done with the NK situation...but it's a crappy situation and we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

The choices ultimately boil down to:
Do nothing in particular and see how this plays out.

Engage in serious multiparty talks that offers economic concessions in exchange for a promise to cease nuclear development.

We let China "deal" with North Korea

Only oneof these is seriously plausible. I'd haveto coordinate with sponsoring legislators and the president... but I think we could work out an offer that could deescalate things. It's not the easiest but we have to be the better government here and step forward.

I would be supportive of emergency aid to Africans sufferring from hunger due to drought. Specific amounts need to be hammered out of course. Having a permanent telief emergency fund for the international community specifically for famine is a good idea. Especially with the threat of climate change. Atlasia brims to the limit with food.

I don't have specific numbers but I think those need debate. I will support large amounts but I the president has ultimate authority on this.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 04:46:14 AM »

bump
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »

I move:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »

The vote is now open on the confirmation of Snowguy716 for Secretary of State.  Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »

Aye.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010