George McGovern
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:55:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  George McGovern
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: George McGovern  (Read 3653 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2005, 09:52:48 PM »

Everyone loves to pan him as a radical leftist, but he represented South Dakota in both the House and SENATE.  How did he manage to get elected in such a heavily Republican state?  If I didn't know he was from South Dakota, I'd think he was from Massachusetts.  Massachusetts is the only state he carried in the 1972 election, and it also has a reputation as a corrupt and lawless state where married gay couples oppress heterosexuals, everyone has wild orgasmic sex in the middle of the street, and abortions are provided at every street corner.

Why did South Dakota residents consider him to be good enough to represent them in the Senate but not good enough to be their president?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:11:18 PM »

Do you think California would vote for Boxer?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:05:37 AM »

That region was more economically liberal back in the day. And people got away more effectively with two-timing their politics.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:28:13 AM »

Do you think California would vote for Boxer?

yes

and to answer the question: It's because McGovern was not a radical liberal. He just wanted to pull out of an extremely idiotic war the US had absolutely no business whatsoever being in. Not radical, that's common sense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 01:41:31 AM »

That region was more economically liberal back in the day. And people got away more effectively with two-timing their politics.

^^^^^^^^^

McGovern was the most liberal candidate the Democratic party ever has or perhaps ever will run for president. Frank Church of Idaho was a liberal too I think. Back then, a lot of stuff in politics was pretty bisexual. It was the Wild West compared to now. I think in some ways it was probably more fun.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 01:58:45 AM »

^^^^^^^^^

McGovern was the most liberal candidate the Democratic party ever has or perhaps ever will run for president. Frank Church of Idaho was a liberal too I think. Back then, a lot of stuff in politics was pretty bisexual. It was the Wild West compared to now. I think in some ways it was probably more fun.

"Bisexual"?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 08:09:50 AM »

^^^^^^^^^

"Bisexual"?

I think he meant 'swinging', 'all over the place', 'crazy', 'less politically polarized', 'less black-and-white', 'more like a catfight between Richius and Clay', etc.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 09:18:29 AM »

Its true though that South Dakota was the only state which McGovern broke 45% in save MN and excluding MA and DC.

So he did better there than HHH did in 1968, if that’s any conciliation.           
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »

Massachusetts is the only state he carried in the 1972 election, and it also has a reputation as a corrupt and lawless state where married gay couples oppress heterosexuals, everyone has wild orgasmic sex in the middle of the street, and abortions are provided at every street corner.

have you ever been to massachusetts?

it is actually an authoritarian state.  you cant even buy alcohol on sundays there.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 09:51:28 AM »

Massachusetts is the only state he carried in the 1972 election, and it also has a reputation as a corrupt and lawless state where married gay couples oppress heterosexuals, everyone has wild orgasmic sex in the middle of the street, and abortions are provided at every street corner.

it is actually an authoritarian state.  you cant even buy alcohol on sundays there.

You can't buy alcohol on Sundays in Connecticut either, not even beer, though I heard they might be changing the law.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 10:00:39 AM »

You can't buy alcohol on Sundays in Connecticut either, not even beer, though I heard they might be changing the law.

dazzleman, ct is the armpit of new england.

it really is a police state.

what is the speed limit on the interstates there 45...or has it been bumped to 50?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 10:10:31 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2005, 10:28:23 AM by dazzleman »

dazzleman, ct is the armpit of new england.

it really is a police state.

what is the speed limit on the interstates there 45...or has it been bumped to 50?

Dude, how dare you talk that way about my state? Smiley

Actually, the speed limit is only 45 mph on I-95 for a short stretch through Bridgeport that is terminally under construction and very dangerous.  There were some very serious accidents on that stretch from people going too fast.  Of course, the problem is not really the people going 55 mph, but those doing 75-80 mph through a construction zone with lanes zigzagging and uneven.  So they put the speed limit lower than it really needs to be, and for a while, they had a lot of cops there to try to slow things down.  The rest of I-95 and the other highways have speed limits of either 55 mph or 65 mph.  And absolutely NOBODY pays attention to speed limits in Connecticut, including yours truly.

Did you drive through the Bridgeport construction zone with the 45 mph speed limit?  I live in the town right next door to there.  You really don't get a good view of the state from I-95.  It's actually quite a nice state once you get off the highway, but I had no idea how nice much of it was until I got off the highway and drove around the local streets.

I haven't found it to be a police state at all.  I've been driving up and down I-95 for the past 10 years doing 75-80 mph consistently, and I haven't gotten a ticket yet (on that road at least, but that's another story).  Actually, speed enforcement in Connecticut is very sporadic.  It's either saturation enforcement, or the cops are totally absent, usually the latter.  The state police look at enforcement as something to be turned on and off, not a constant day-in, day-out thing.  So if you're driving in Connecticut and you see a statie, look out, you'll probably see a lot more. 

Did the staties nail you for speeding or something?  Is that where your animus is coming from? Smiley  If you did get nailed, you know that Connecticut has very high speeding fines.  But if you go to court, they fold pretty quickly and knock the fine way down.  I got nailed up on I-84 for doing 78 mph in a 55 mph zone, but I went to court and they knocked the fine down from about $250 to $100.  Another time I got nailed for doing 52 mph in a 35 zone on a local highway, and they knocked my fine down from about $150 to $35.

Since you like Massachusetts so much, I hope that one of your times passing through, you'll give our state a chance too.  You'd probably like it if you got off the highways in the right places.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And that is why (on top of other reasons) why I abandon Massachusetts, as my homestate, and plan on never returning!!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 02:57:48 PM »

Boxer loses California in a landslide.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 04:58:19 PM »

no, dazzleman, i didnt travel I-95.

ive forgotten the number of the interstate i took through CT.  84, maybe?  i was coming from NY en route to mass.

i did spend a little time in CT.  it seemed pretty expensive and much too suburban (i hate to sound like brtd)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 05:01:35 PM »

no, dazzleman, i didnt travel I-95.

ive forgotten the number of the interstate i took through CT.  84, maybe?  i was coming from NY en route to mass.

i did spend a little time in CT.  it seemed pretty expensive and much too suburban (i hate to sound like brtd)

I didn't think there was a 45 mph speed limit on I-84, other than in the big construction zone where they were rebuilding the road.  I-84 does go from NY to Massachusetts, so that's probably the road you were on.

Connecticut is very expensive, and mostly suburban, so you're right about that.  But it's not that much different from Massachusetts, honestly, except maybe for the immediate area around Boston.  Where in Connecticut did you hang out?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 10:50:46 PM »

i didnt hang out too much in the ct.

but it was in and around the hartford area. 

it was a little too suburban for my tastes.  hartford might not be a bad city, though,
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 09:20:01 PM »

i didnt hang out too much in the ct.

but it was in and around the hartford area. 

it was a little too suburban for my tastes.  hartford might not be a bad city, though,

You do sound like BRTD Smiley  And for the record, as a city, Hartford absolutely sucks.  It has almost no redeeming qualities, but it does have nice suburbs.

Massachusetts is also primarily a suburban state, other than Boston and some smaller cities like Springfield. 

What do you find better about Massachusetts than Connecticut?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 03:02:29 PM »

Why did South Dakota residents consider him to be good enough to represent them in the Senate but not good enough to be their president?

1. McGovern was not really a "radical" liberal.  Nixon was merely able to paint him that way.
2. Back in the late-60s/early-70s the nation was more liberal, and so McGovern was not as liberal as he would be considered today.
3. Prairie Populism still thrived in SD back then, where it is all but dead today (and dying in MN, IA, and WI Sad)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 03:05:05 PM »

3. Prairie Populism still thrived in SD back then, where it is all but dead today (and dying in MN, IA, and WI Sad)

Sad

Was a small-ish revivial in MN last year though. Do you think it'll last?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 03:06:55 PM »

dazzleman, i havent found mass to be nearly as suburban as connecticut.

from what ive seem of mass, i really like it.  ive yet to visit the berkshires though.   im looking forward to going there as soon as possible.

worcester is the really bad part of mass.  it is an industrial wasteland.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 03:56:14 PM »

Sad

Was a small-ish revivial in MN last year though. Do you think it'll last?

Hopefully it'll last long enough to build up strength and oust Norm Coleman.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 09:18:37 PM »

You can say that again! And don't forget Springfield.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 09:20:30 PM »

from what ive seem of mass, i really like it.  ive yet to visit the berkshires though.   im looking forward to going there as soon as possible.

Since you appear not to like suburbs, is it the rural areas you like, or the cities?

I agree Worcester is not great, but I think Springfield is worse.

I really like the area around the Berkshires.  Let me know what you think after you visit it.

I would bet that there are parts of Connecticut you'd like if you got a chance to see them.  Maybe next time you go to Massachusetts, you can spend a little time in Connecticut.  If you tell me what you like, I may be able to tell you about some cool places.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 10:16:07 PM »

Since you appear not to like suburbs, is it the rural areas you like, or the cities?

I agree Worcester is not great, but I think Springfield is worse.

I really like the area around the Berkshires.  Let me know what you think after you visit it.

I would bet that there are parts of Connecticut you'd like if you got a chance to see them.  Maybe next time you go to Massachusetts, you can spend a little time in Connecticut.  If you tell me what you like, I may be able to tell you about some cool places.

i like rural areas and cities.  im just not crazy about suburbia, though i dont have the same fanaticism as brtd.

im moving to mass at the end of the month.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies