Donald Trump vs Hugo Chavez
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:29:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Donald Trump vs Hugo Chavez
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who is better/lesser of two evils
Donald Trump

Hugo Chavez

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Donald Trump vs Hugo Chavez  (Read 1647 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »

What exactly is the question here?

Because obviously Trump is causing less damage to the US than Chavez did to Venezuela. But I'm not convinced that's because Trump is "better", it's rather that he's constrained by much better democratic institutions.

Had Trump come to power in a banana republic we can't know for sure how it would have turned out but I don't think there is good reason to think it would have been much different from Chavez' rule.

Good answer that I agree with 100%. I was trying to find the right wording for this.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »

Because obviously Trump is causing less damage to the US than Chavez did to Venezuela. But I'm not convinced that's because Trump is "better", it's rather that he's constrained by much better democratic institutions.

Had Trump come to power in a banana republic we can't know for sure how it would have turned out but I don't think there is good reason to think it would have been much different from Chavez' rule.

Exactly this.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »

My goodness. I don't expect Hillary Clinton would have been much different from Chavez if she had "come to power in a banana republic" like Chavez did.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »

Chavez made a lot of mistakes, but he wasn't a terrible person. He even improved life for many low-income Venezuelans, but his legacy has since unraveled under subsequent leadership. Trump, on the other hand, is an entirely horrible person and if he had the concentrated powers possessed by Chavez, would be on the path to running our country straight into the ground.
I wouldnt call starvation a improvement.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies