1972: President Richard Nixon vs Senator Ted Kennedy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:29:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1972: President Richard Nixon vs Senator Ted Kennedy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1972: President Richard Nixon vs Senator Ted Kennedy  (Read 1460 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »

With no Chappaquiddick holding him back Ted Kennedy successfully runs for his party's nomination in 1972 and, shocking everyone, picks George Wallace as his running mate. Discuss with maps
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »

With no Chappaquiddick holding him back Ted Kennedy successfully runs for his party's nomination in 1972 and, shocking everyone, picks George Wallace as his running mate. Discuss with maps

Actually, though, probably this

Nixon wins by about 6 and a half points. Looks really close to 1928. 389-149.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »

^hard time seeing TX, FL, NC, and TN voting for Kennedy even if Wallace was on the ticket
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »

What exactly is meant by "no Chappaquiddick holding him back"? Do you mean if the incident in question never happened?

Anyway, a Gallup poll taken after the 1972 election showed that, had Kennedy been the Dem nominee, 52% would have voted Nixon and 43% Kennedy, with 5% undecided. (Kennedy was winning those under 30, 55%-41%). No VP candidate was mentioned in the poll.

Having Wallace on the ticket would suppress young and Black support slightly (I say slightly because I think people vote mainly on the Presidential candidate, not the VP candidate, with some partial exceptions like Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin), but those Gallup numbers sound about right.

Also keep in mind that the Dem platform would probably not mention abortion under this scenario, as Kennedy and Wallace were both pro-life, thus making it indistinguishable from the GOP platform.

I'd give Kennedy/Wallace MA, RI, MN, WI, and maybe even OR (which Nixon carried by just 10 points IRL). Having Wallace on the ticket might help to neutralize the busing and "law and order" issue in suburban Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, and other places, but I would still give Nixon IL, MI, and OH.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »

Kennedy/Wallace wins the Confederate states, plus Oklahoma, Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:14 PM »

What exactly is meant by "no Chappaquiddick holding him back"? Do you mean if the incident in question never happened?

Anyway, a Gallup poll taken after the 1972 election showed that, had Kennedy been the Dem nominee, 52% would have voted Nixon and 43% Kennedy, with 5% undecided. (Kennedy was winning those under 30, 55%-41%). No VP candidate was mentioned in the poll.

Having Wallace on the ticket would suppress young and Black support slightly (I say slightly because I think people vote mainly on the Presidential candidate, not the VP candidate, with some partial exceptions like Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin), but those Gallup numbers sound about right.

Also keep in mind that the Dem platform would probably not mention abortion under this scenario, as Kennedy and Wallace were both pro-life, thus making it indistinguishable from the GOP platform.

I'd give Kennedy/Wallace MA, RI, MN, WI, and maybe even OR (which Nixon carried by just 10 points IRL). Having Wallace on the ticket might help to neutralize the busing and "law and order" issue in suburban Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, and other places, but I would still give Nixon IL, MI, and OH.

Yes, that is what I mean.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2017, 12:15:53 PM by L.D. Smith »

Switching to Sanford as I don't believe he'd ever pick Wallace.

Nixon/Agnew
Kennedy/Sanford
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »

Kennedy's selection of Wallace as a running mate greatly impairs his standing with the black, liberal, and youth voters who supported his brother in the primaries just four years earlier. At the same time, Ted's liberal credentials prevent southern Democrats from flipping to him in significant numbers. Clean Gene launches an independent candidacy, aiming to take many of the liberals who are puzzled by Kennedy's poor judgement on a VP pick.

With the left so hopelessly divided, Nixon has no qualms about his chances for victory. On election night, Nixon sweeps all 50 states. In DC, Kennedy only barely manages to hold the line against McCarthy.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »

Kennedy's selection of Wallace as a running mate greatly impairs his standing with the black, liberal, and youth voters who supported his brother in the primaries just four years earlier. At the same time, Ted's liberal credentials prevent southern Democrats from flipping to him in significant numbers. Clean Gene launches an independent candidacy, aiming to take many of the liberals who are puzzled by Kennedy's poor judgement on a VP pick.

With the left so hopelessly divided, Nixon has no qualms about his chances for victory. On election night, Nixon sweeps all 50 states. In DC, Kennedy only barely manages to hold the line against McCarthy.

And just like against McGovern, Nixon's henchmen still break into the Watergate Hotel.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies