Should Cornwall receive home nation status?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:04:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Cornwall receive home nation status?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Cornwall receive home nation status?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Should Cornwall receive home nation status?  (Read 2996 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2005, 10:59:02 AM »

Home nation status is the same as England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. As of now, Cornwall is considered no different from the rest of England. But when most people there say "England" they really mean England outside of Cornwall, they used to have their own language, they are mostly ethnically Celtic. It's quite similar to Wales in most ways. So I would support home nation status for Cornwall.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »

Decidedly not. Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland were previously independent kingdoms that were integrated into a single realm. Cornwall, on the other hand, has no such historical claim to home nation status (unless one considers the Dark Ages, which shouldn't really count anyway).
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 11:10:19 AM »

Decidedly not. Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland were previously independent kingdoms that were integrated into a single realm. Cornwall, on the other hand, has no such historical claim to home nation status (unless one considers the Dark Ages, which shouldn't really count anyway).

I agree.  All three of these regions had sovereignty until at least the 14th century.  Cornwall has been ruled by the English since the time of William the Conqueror.  This is like asking if the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands should receive home nation status.  Does anybody even know Cornish anymore?  I know Welsh and Manx are making a comeback as languages.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 11:15:50 AM »

This is like asking if the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands should receive home nation status.

Actually those territories are not considered part of the UK but rather "crown dependencies" which basically makes them equivalent to a colony. They are like Puerto Rico.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:17:11 AM »

As of now, Cornwall is considered no different from the rest of England.

No, most people do think of Cornwall as being a bit different. Lots of jokes about Cornwall...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Huh

Which died out a very long time ago. The Forest of Dean has it's own language (which is still alive) but I don't see it being given special treatment...
I do support attempts to revive it though.

What's "ethnically Celtic" supposed to mean? Don't think there is such a thing...

No, no it isn't. It's much more like the rest of England than Wales. Wales is a Nation, Cornwall is a county with an unusually strong cultural identidy. Like Yorkshire.

Only if Yorkshire gets it as well Wink

Seriously though, I think that Cornwall County Council should be given more powers than the other County Council's (for two reasons; 1. Isolation, 2. Cultural stuff) maybe letting it take over the running of the Duchy of Cornwall... but I don't think giving it Nation status is a good idea at all...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 11:18:22 AM »

Actually those territories are not considered part of the UK but rather "crown dependencies" which basically makes them equivalent to a colony. They are like Puerto Rico.

Both are just sordid little tax havens these days
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 11:29:55 AM »

Actually those territories are not considered part of the UK but rather "crown dependencies" which basically makes them equivalent to a colony.
They're not "colonies." They have complete domestic self-government; the United Kingdom is only responsible for defense and foreign affairs.

I don't think that's a good idea. The Duchy of Cornwall funds the activities of the Prince of Wales; if the duchy were given to the county, then the Prince would have to rely on taxpayer funds, which would not be particularly popular with many.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:38:02 AM »

I don't think that's a good idea. The Duchy of Cornwall funds the activities of the Prince of Wales;

Which is why it should be taken away from him Grin

Or... he could be made to spend less (and quit with the insane Poundbury thing...)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 12:14:34 PM »

No, it's part of England; though I think it was once known as West Wales

Dave
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 12:27:59 PM »

I don't think that's a good idea. The Duchy of Cornwall funds the activities of the Prince of Wales;

Which is why it should be taken away from him Grin
To be fair, I believe that it is the Queen's personal property held in trust for future generations, like the Duchy of Lancaster.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 12:33:06 PM »

What's "ethnically Celtic" supposed to mean? Don't think there is such a thing...

There is such a thing, though its incorrect to say that the people of Cornwall are mostly ethnically Celtic. Celtic essentially refers to those who originally occupied England, and continued to be the mainstay of the populus until the fall of the Roman Empire, when the Anglo-Saxons came, saw and conquered. The Celtic people were then pushed into the extremities of the island, Cornwall and Scotland mostly.

However, the movement of population since 400/500 AD when that all happened means that such a large population cannot legitimately claim to be principally descended from the Celts, there will be a large amount of Anglo-Saxon blood.

If you give Cornwall home-nation status, then you would have to give the members of the Heptarchy the same: Kent, Sussex, Essex, East Anglia, Wessex, Mercia and Northumbria. Be advised that these boundaries are not the same as exist today, and in som cases are completely different.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 12:37:19 PM »

There is such a thing, though its incorrect to say that the people of Cornwall are mostly ethnically Celtic. Celtic essentially refers to those who originally occupied England, and continued to be the mainstay of the populus until the fall of the Roman Empire, when the Anglo-Saxons came, saw and conquered. The Celtic people were then pushed into the extremities of the island, Cornwall and Scotland mostly.

That's basically what I meant by saying like Wales. Wales was also oen fo the places where the Anglo-Saxons pushed the original inhabitants. Where the Anglo-Saxons settled outside of Cornwall is now modern day England.

And I know the language is dead now, but the same is basically true of Welsh, Gaelic and Irish. There are revival attempts of course, but no one really speaks those today as their main native tongue.

They're not "colonies." They have complete domestic self-government; the United Kingdom is only responsible for defense and foreign affairs.

Well the same is also true of territories considered colonies, Greenland for example. Perhaps a better analogy though would be psuedo-nations like Liechenstein and Monaco, only not officially independent.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 12:45:59 PM »

However, the movement of population since 400/500 AD when that all happened means that such a large population cannot legitimately claim to be principally descended from the Celts, there will be a large amount of Anglo-Saxon blood.

Points taken, but I've always taken the view that (with a couple of exceptions) the various groups more-or-less merged into each other in most places.
Certainly there isn't such a thing as ethnically Celtic now... the idea that there is is an 18th century myth.

My memory is a little fuzzy over this but...

Northumbria being just about everything inbetween the Wall and the Humber... Mercia being most of what is now the Midlands but IIRC went further south and not as far west (does this mean we give Oswestry back to Wales? Grin ), I know that the capital of Wessex was Winchester so it's not really that similer to the SW region nowadays... not sure how different the others are. Which was the City of London in?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 01:03:37 PM »

That's basically what I meant by saying like Wales. Wales was also oen fo the places where the Anglo-Saxons pushed the original inhabitants.

No, I've never bought that theory... it's geographically impossible; the main areas in Wales that can support a large or large-ish population are either a long way from England or very hard to get at... (as an example coastal South Wales is blocked by the Forest of Dean and the River Wye). It seems as though the Marches has always been something of a wild borderland; big Roman fort-city just south of Shrewsbury (Wroxeter) for one thing. Welsh culture as a seperate thing predates the Romans going home anyway...

Er... that isn't true of Welsh. At all. Lot of people out in Northwest Wales speak Welsh as their first langauge (especially in Merionth, the interior of Anglesey and the Lleyn Peninsula) and get rather militant about it actually... although the whole cottage burning spree is long over.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 01:06:05 PM »

Northumbria being just about everything inbetween the Wall and the Humber... Mercia being most of what is now the Midlands but IIRC went further south and not as far west (does this mean we give Oswestry back to Wales? Grin ), I know that the capital of Wessex was Winchester so it's not really that similer to the SW region nowadays... not sure how different the others are. Which was the City of London in?
I think that London would have been in Essex.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 10:17:50 PM »

I voted Yes, because I think Cornwall is cool (Don't ask)

Cornwall is to England what Brittany is to France, a distinct cultural area that is different from other counties in the region. I thought Cornwall was like the Florida of England, since it is the Southern Most part of the British Isles. I don't know if you can swim there though.

Attorney General Al: Do you know any jokes about Cornwall?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 03:08:58 AM »

No, it should receive full independence within the EU. And introduce the Euro. And of course only Cornish should be taught in the schools. All the tin mines should be reopened. [/sarcasm]
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 03:11:23 AM »

No, it should receive full independence within the EU. And introduce the Euro. And of course only Cornish should be taught in the schools. All the tin mines should be reopened. [/sarcasm]

Not a fan of Mebyon Kernow then? Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 03:13:40 AM »

Not a fan of Mebyon Kernow then? Grin
as long as they don't win the elections they're fine with me... Wink
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 07:57:25 AM »

My memory is a little fuzzy over this but...

Thats a reasonable map, though its before the kingdom of Northumbria really organised itself. Elmet and Lindsey eventually got subsumed into Mercia IIRC. Northumbria was basically everything North of Mercia up to about where Edinburgh is today, excepting Strathclyde, which single-handedly would eventually retake most of Southern Scotland.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 10:48:48 AM »

Voted no

They are most like welshmen but its been too long since even the welsh had any sort of connection to them

so no

theyre english now
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 10:53:42 AM »

As a Scotsman I voted no. Cornwall is not Celtic, certainly not since people have started moving there for the sun and surf!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 02:07:43 PM »

Very interesting actually... you can tell that no-one's quite sure of the exact boundaries by all the loops and curvy lines Wink (although some look pretty clear; in parts anyway).

I'm pretty sure that Mercia ate up Elmet. IIRC Powys got a lot bigger as well.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 02:35:40 PM »

Bit of a tangent, but are there any quintessential Cornish surnames?  The Welsh have have Jones, Lloyd, Davies etc.- any common Cornish surnames?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 02:49:52 PM »

Bit of a tangent, but are there any quintessential Cornish surnames?  The Welsh have have Jones, Lloyd, Davies etc.- any common Cornish surnames?

"By the Tre. Poll. and Pen. you shall know the Cornish men"

Examples of a reasonably common Cornish name: Pollard
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies