How safe is Pete Sessions in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:15:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How safe is Pete Sessions in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Republican representing TX-32
Lock-solid reelection

Could lose, but it would take a near-miracle

Losing is a real possiblity, but it will depend on quality of Dem campaign

Sessions is favored for reelection, but it'll be close

Pure tossup

Sessions is an underdog

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: How safe is Pete Sessions in 2018?  (Read 3302 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »

Pete Sessions represents the ancestrally-Republican district TX-32, located in the northern suburbs of Dallas. It's cook PVI is R+5, but Clinton won the district by three points, 49-46. That's not to mention the earful he got at his town hall going all-in on the AHCA. In other words, it looks to me like an even less-safe version of GA-6, with an incumbent who has a voting record to tie him to.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:24:27 PM »

If Mike Rawlings runs Sessions is in trouble
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:26:28 PM »

With an incumbent running, this is even more safe than GA-6.  The same goes for Culberson and any of the other shockingly-close-in-2016 Texas districts.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »

The legislature could easily redraw his district.
Didn't Texas just get sued for gerrymandering?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »

Pure tossup, given the swings in GA-6 (a similar area) and possible differences in turnout. If actually forced to say, very small Tilt D. Improvement on the level of Ossoff's is enough for a Democratic win here, and turnout was higher than usual midterm turnout in GA-6, meaning the Democratic enthusiasm gap is likely to mean more here, but the margins are so narrow that small shifts in popular opinion either way could make the difference. There will certainly be a credible Democratic candidate here.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »

Likely R
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »

I think he is vulnerable, but my gut says he hangs on. There is evidence that the swings against Republicans in some of these suburban districts are in fact sticking, and Democratic enthusiasm is putting them into play, but that doesn't automatically make them straight toss-ups.

At the end of the day, Sessions is still a long-time incumbent in a district that only became vulnerable on paper last year. Democrats are really going to need to run some sharp candidates for these districts.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »

I'd have it around Tilt/Lean R. Any seat that Hillary won is vulnerable by default, and this is more Democratic than GA-06 is, but a strong candidate is required and I don't know if we have the infrastructure required to win the seat.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 12:41:30 AM »

I don't see him losing. If he decided to retire, then this seat would almost certainly become competitive.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 01:44:21 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2017, 01:48:35 AM by Bagel23 »

I was born, raised, and have lived in this district for all of my life, and I support Collin Allred, but not a chance in hell Sessions loses, sorry. Only way this district could ever flip is if Sessions leaves, and a blue wave year the size of 2008 occurs at the same time, and even then it's a maybe. I might dare to even say that Culberson's district is comparably more vunerable than this one. But he stays too.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:49:11 AM »

I am quite skeptical this actually flips. Sessions is an entrenched, longtime incumbent R well-attuned to his district and i doubt the AHCA vote would cost him his seat by itself.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:50 AM »

My mom has met him when he came to tour a health facility that she worked at a couple years back, and she described him as one of the most slimy and least sincere individuals she had ever met, she then subsequently voted against him, not that it made a difference because of his entrenchment.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 01:57:10 AM »

I was born, raised, and have lived in this district for all of my life, and I support Collin Allred, but not a chance in hell Sessions loses, sorry. Only way this district could ever flip is if Sessions leaves, and a blue wave year the size of 2008 occurs at the same time, and even then it's a maybe. I might dare to even say that Culberson's district is comparably more vunerable than this one. But he stays too.
2008 was his last close race. 2004 was the only other one which was close for him I think.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 02:01:29 AM »

2008 was his last close race. 2004 was the only other one which was close for him I think.

57-41 is not close, but comparatively and here, I guess... 2004 was closer, but that was against Martin Frost, so that only partially counts.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 02:08:22 AM »

57-41 is not close, but comparatively and here, I guess... 2004 was closer, but that was against Martin Frost, so that only partially counts.
Well true. I meant 'close' in both comparitive and absolute terms. And history shows that Stinky Pete is unlikely to lose, ever.
It's the Park Cities area that's the real anchor of the GOP lean of the seat. It's extremely richie richie Republican territory. If both University Park and HIghland park were removed, the Clinton margin in the seat probably doubles.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 02:14:06 AM »

Well true. I meant 'close' in both comparitive and absolute terms. And history shows that Stinky Pete is unlikely to lose, ever.
It's the Park Cities area that's the real anchor of the GOP lean of the seat. It's extremely richie richie Republican territory. If both University Park and HIghland park were removed, the Clinton margin in the seat probably doubles.

That and Preston Hollow too. And the northeastern part. I'm in the red part of the district, just a little north of preston hollow.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 02:16:51 AM »

That and Preston Hollow too. And the northeastern part. I'm in the red part of the district, just a little north of preston hollow.
Ah, yes, that too! Preston Hollow seems to be where GWB lives, and all. Just still more evidence that it's country-club-republican-land. Tongue
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 02:19:05 AM »

Ah, yes, that too! Preston Hollow seems to be where GWB lives, and all. Just still more evidence that it's country-club-republican-land. Tongue

Definately. The people who turned this thing blue on the presidential level were suburban moms and the high hispanic turnout.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 02:21:25 AM »

I think in some places in the Park Cities, median income breaks 100k.
http://statisticalatlas.com/congressional-district/Texas/District-32/Overview
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 02:24:58 AM »

For sure. It is the most conservative and homogenous area in the county, all you will see are mcmansions, mansions, small homes worth tons, boutiques that make whole foods look affordable, land rovers, rampant drug usage in the highschool from rich parents, fancy restaurants with food I cannot pronounce, and everyone dressed the same.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 02:29:43 AM »

In general it's kind of a fallacy to assume Clinton district=automatically a winnable one for House Dems. 2016 was weird. TX-32 is still dominated by class-driven patterns. And these rich and upper-middle class people who vote Republican aren't going to stop doing so overnight just because Trump was nominated and elected. They still feel a connection to the Republican brand. Ossoff did well in GA-06, amazingly close, but then again, there was no incumbent on the ballot. Sessions is a country-club republican himself and well aligned with Republican voters in his seat. Hard to see them abondoning him.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 02:32:41 AM »

In general it's kind of a fallacy to assume Clinton district=automatically a winnable one for House Dems. 2016 was weird. TX-32 is still dominated by class-driven patterns. And these rich and upper-middle class people who vote Republican aren't going to stop doing so overnight just because Trump was nominated and elected. They still feel a connection to the Republican brand. Ossoff did well in GA-06, amazingly close, but then again, there was no incumbent on the ballot. Sessions is a country-club republican himself and well aligned with Republican voters in his seat. Hard to see them abondoning him.

Not a winnable race, but still blue in comparison to your district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 02:35:31 AM »

For sure. It is the most conservative and homogenous area in the county, all you will see are mcmansions, mansions, small homes worth tons, boutiques that make whole foods look affordable, land rovers, rampant drug usage in the highschool from rich parents, fancy restaurants with food I cannot pronounce, and everyone dressed the same.
For what's it worth, Northern Dallas County is the core of the territory represented by the sole Republican on the County board, MIke Cantrell. The rest of the seats are gerrymandered in favor of Democrats. Tongue
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 02:37:38 AM »

Yes.
I think the best value a good, strong campaign in TX-32 would have, is that it stretches R resources. Let's just nominate Colin and see the Rs sweat, spending money they would have spent elsewhere (esp. TX-23).
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 02:41:28 AM »

Yes.
I think the best value a good, strong campaign in TX-32 would have, is that it stretches R resources. Let's just nominate Colin and see the Rs sweat, spending money they would have spent elsewhere (esp. TX-23).

Tilt R/Hurd in 23, but definitely winnable, a younger moderate pro life hispanic dem should do the trick.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies