Two eminent political scientists: The problem with democracy is voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:30:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Two eminent political scientists: The problem with democracy is voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Vote only if you've read at least most of the interview - Do you agree/disagree?
Agree

Somewhat agree

Not sure

Disagree

Somewhat disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Two eminent political scientists: The problem with democracy is voters  (Read 1232 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
« edited: June 24, 2017, 12:45:34 PM by Virginia »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's a huge article/interview, so that is only a few chunks of what I think are the most revealing ideas.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »

TD / Technocratic Timmy : what do you think of this interview? Do you think some of the ideas from it work with your theories of American political cycles? (I highlighted some of them in my post)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »

I'm not sure exactly what they're getting at here. It's true that the vast majority of people don't think critically about policy, but they clearly do vote based on feelings and those feelings are derived from their current standing.

Hoover won by 17 points in 1928 only to lose by 17 points in 1932 to Franklin Roosevelt. Roosevelt did run on a balanced budget platform but it wasn't that policy that necessarily propelled him to the presidency but the GOP presiding over the Great Depression. Stagflation and a nasty recession in the Spring of 1980 allowed for Reagan to swoop in.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

I'm not sure exactly what they're getting at here. It's true that the vast majority of people don't think critically about policy, but they clearly do vote based on feelings and those feelings are derived from their current standing.

Well that is sort of the point. They frequently note that their choices are often associated with who was the incumbent at the time when [whatever] happened that swayed their decision. This isn't the only point they are making, but it's a general idea that whatever book they wrote touches on. People don't think that logically, and the fact that they just associate whatever happens with the incumbent president is a clear example of their failure of logic. Sometimes they are actually correct to associate the current situation with the president, but other times they aren't. It's mostly just luck in that respect.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »

Well that is sort of the point. They frequently note that their choices are often associated with who was the incumbent at the time when [whatever] happened that swayed their decision. This isn't the only point they are making, but it's a general idea that whatever book they wrote touches on. People don't think that logically, and the fact that they just associate whatever happens with the incumbent president is a clear example of their failure of logic. Sometimes they are actually correct to associate the current situation with the president, but other times they aren't. It's mostly just luck in that respect.

Oh I see. Yeah, I do agree with their assessment then. I do believe that incumbent fatigue is also a likely factor to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies