MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:38:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!  (Read 32122 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:35 AM »

Justice Dems be all excited here, of course their talent will let them hold onto a D+29 district, but I am sure they will be thrilled when they lose Maryland.

As if Baker would've been substantially better? I would've supported Baker, but let's face it, he's about as charismatic as Anthony Brown. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »

Which part of the state is going to be Hogan's biggest headache? I know Jealous did much better in the Baltimore area than the D.C. suburbs, but I feel like Hogan's numbers are more likely to collapse in the latter than the former.

Baltimore unless Jealous turns out to be a stronger than expected candidate. Jealous naturally has a high floor in Baltimore and he's a good fit for the area. Jealous is a worse fit for the DC suburbs, but if he does a really good job of tying Hogan to Trump and the national GOP, he can snap them back into the Dem column. It may be tough, but that alone would win it for him.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »

Which part of the state is going to be Hogan's biggest headache? I know Jealous did much better in the Baltimore area than the D.C. suburbs, but I feel like Hogan's numbers are more likely to collapse in the latter than the former.

Baltimore unless Jealous turns out to be a stronger than expected candidate. Jealous naturally has a high floor in Baltimore and he's a good fit for the area. Jealous is a worse fit for the DC suburbs, but if he does a really good job of tying Hogan to Trump and the national GOP, he can snap them back into the Dem column. It may be tough, but that alone would win it for him.
I actually think it's the other way around. I think Hogan will do best in the Baltimore suburbs. The DC suburbs are less elastic, and Hogan's from Anne Arundel County. (which is technically in the Baltimore metro)

Well, I was talking more about Baltimore City than Baltimore County. Jealous will definitely do better in MoCo/PG than Baltimore County.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »

Trump Admisistration to set a pay freeze for federal workers

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/30/trump-sets-pay-freeze-federal-workforce-2019-citin/

Looks like Jealous has just been handed down his defining issue.

Jealous' winning strategy for a while now has been to tie Hogan to Trump. It's difficult to do, though, and I don't really see how this has made it any easier. This will probably only affect federal races, and those are about as favorable as Dems could possibly hope for anyway.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/30/trump-sets-pay-freeze-federal-workforce-2019-citin/

Jealous' winning strategy for a while now has been to tie Hogan to Trump. It's difficult to do, though, and I don't really see how this has made it any easier. This will probably only affect federal races, and those are about as favorable as Dems could possibly hope for anyway.
If we were to take a look on how this race will play out, Jealous will likely get 90% or more of the AA vote. This would then require Jealous to win 35-40% of the white vote to claim victory. Now, heres the thing with this. If Jealous can successfully pounce on this(if) and say he would support them as governor or fight Trump on this, then suddenly, many white government workers have a choice in him, compared to the Hogan. I would need to see how Jealous uses this though, before jumping to conclusions.

How would Jealous go about doing that? Not like the Governor of Maryland has any power over federal pay freezes.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »

If we were to take a look on how this race will play out, Jealous will likely get 90% or more of the AA vote. This would then require Jealous to win 35-40% of the white vote to claim victory. Now, heres the thing with this. If Jealous can successfully pounce on this(if) and say he would support them as governor or fight Trump on this, then suddenly, many white government workers have a choice in him, compared to the Hogan. I would need to see how Jealous uses this though, before jumping to conclusions.

How would Jealous go about doing that? Not like the Governor of Maryland has any power over federal pay freezes.
Well, Jealous cant actually implement Single-Payer. And Cuomo/Nixon cant really fight Trump as governor of NY. But what it does is keep federal workers in the D camp. It makes Jealous look like a sort of champion for them, and, if he makes it a big issue in his campaign, can help keep the white vote on his side. Of course, he hasnt used it yet, so I doubt if he will, but if he plays it right, it could leave an impact.

Jealous could actually try and implement state-level single payer. Similar measures were passed in Vermont, establishing Green Mountain Care, a state-level single payer system. It failed miserably, but still, Jealous could fight for that. And Cuomo/Nixon could fight Trump. Governors have a lot of power and can hold their own against the federal government a lot of the time on various issues they have "jurisdiction" on. What Governors can't do, though, is try and interfere with an entirely federal deal like pay freezes for the federal workforce. Jealous has no power here. I could see this benefiting him, but I really don't know how, and I don't think Jealous knows how either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies