MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:51:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!  (Read 31964 times)
WritOfCertiorari

« on: May 10, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »

Rest in peace. He was County Executive for quite a few years. I think he had a decent chance to win the primary honestly, with Baltimore County being pretty important on the Democratic side.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »

One thing that seems to get overlooked is that the insurance industry, as well as the healthcare field in general, is one of the largest, if not the largest, employer in this state. Not only do those people have to be convinced single payer is worth it, but they also need some type of assurance that they'll be able to keep their job, or will be to get a similar paying job elsewhere. This is pretty much an immediate recession at a local level...

I support single-payer, but it needs to be on the Federal level. State by state, there are too many people who would be hesitant. People are willing to trust a national program that can point to the precedents of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, which are all very popular. State level programs don't have that track record.

I think Ben Jealous is a great candidate, though I feel Rushern Baker would have done better against Hogan. This race is not over by any means, as there is a history here of not giving Republicans second terms. If I was going to give a prediction at this point, though? Hogan by 7.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »

Hogan is out with his first attack ad, and it looks like an effective one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1y1u10tWY&feature=youtu.be

As I've said, unless Ben Jealous has some plan to pay for it, state single-payer is a no-go. A single payer system in MD would cost a bit over half the state's budget. Despite Maryland's left-leaning ideology, people here do care about the debt. It's why most people think the state is going in the right direction.

I will note however, that the ad doesn't mention that a single-payer system would remove healthcare costs.

surprised Hogan went on the offensive already. Not the best strategy, but I guess hes trying to define him early.
Because he's actually in trouble.

He’s in much less trouble than he could be. Listen guys, don’t fall into the trap of thinking just because MD is a blue state, that Jealous should be favored. There are a lot of people here who are liberals or progressive who can’t stand the thought of an increase in the sales or income tax. There are plenty who still remember the hysteria over the rain tax. Jealous is going to have to run one hell of a campaign to get the people he needs out to vote. I think Rushern Baker would have been a better choice, honestly. Jealous’s plans are really better implemented at the Federal level.

I think it’s too early to make a prediction right now.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »

Hogan is out with his first attack ad, and it looks like an effective one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1y1u10tWY&feature=youtu.be

As I've said, unless Ben Jealous has some plan to pay for it, state single-payer is a no-go. A single payer system in MD would cost a bit over half the state's budget. Despite Maryland's left-leaning ideology, people here do care about the debt. It's why most people think the state is going in the right direction.

I will note however, that the ad doesn't mention that a single-payer system would remove healthcare costs.

surprised Hogan went on the offensive already. Not the best strategy, but I guess hes trying to define him early.
Because he's actually in trouble.

He’s in much less trouble than he could be. Listen guys, don’t fall into the trap of thinking just because MD is a blue state, that Jealous should be favored. There are a lot of people here who are liberals or progressive who can’t stand the thought of an increase in the sales or income tax. There are plenty who still remember the hysteria over the rain tax. Jealous is going to have to run one hell of a campaign to get the people he needs out to vote. I think Rushern Baker would have been a better choice, honestly. Jealous’s plans are really better implemented at the Federal level.

I think it’s too early to make a prediction right now.
Ummm, most of us think Hogan is fine, I have the race as Lean R. What I was surprised is how he immediately went negative. When you are a candidate who is moderate in bad territory, you try to shore yourself up, and make you look like the better choice to the public. The point of negative ads is to keep the enemy base at home and inspire your base. Hogan's base is not enough to win. If he keeps going negative, especially on healthcare, he might slip up, and lose. Baker and Scott are playing smart, talking about achievements and positive messages, Hogan is not.

Oh I definitely agree with that. Honestly, when I saw the title, I though it would be Jealous attacking Hogan. However, I saw many people on this forum saying that Hogan would be Erliched.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies