MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:50:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Author Topic: MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!  (Read 31919 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »

Do people forget Brown lost in 2014 in part because of the backlash to O'Malley's tax policies? Things like the rain tax were really unpopular and Hogan tied Brown to that as much as possible. Blue state Rs win mostly because they run as fiscal conservatives and vow not to raise taxes. This is why I think Jealous has no path, he's pushing even higher taxes than what O'Malley or Brown were even considering.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »

Do people forget Brown lost in 2014 in part because of the backlash to O'Malley's tax policies? Things like the rain tax were really unpopular and Hogan tied Brown to that as much as possible. Blue state Rs win mostly because they run as fiscal conservatives and vow not to raise taxes. This is why I think Jealous has no path, he's pushing even higher taxes than what O'Malley or Brown were even considering.
Im pretty sure that what happened was that a 2014 wave swayed indies over to Hogan and Democrats had abysmal turnout. Hogan was trailing in every poll but one, so its clear that it was an election day turnout that gave him a victory. MA didnt elected Baker due to taxes, and neither was Elrich, Sununu, or Scott, its just that they ran better campaigns and were able to win over moderate indie voters, and suppress enough of the D vote. Taxes are not the one decision that voters make their decision off of, if it was, Malloy would have lost in 2014, or an R would be likely to win this year.

Does Jealous have a chance? yes, and it requires holding 90% of the AA vote, and getting 35% of the white vote, or making sure that D turnout is high and R turnout low, which is the Blue Wave's job. That is why the Obama endorsement can make a difference, which is why its a bit sad that he hasnt done so yet.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »

Apparently Obama only likes to endorse candidates that blow winnable Senate races like Katie McGinty.

If that’s true, then he’ll love endorsing Ben Jealous!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »

Pat Toomey and Ron Johnson won due to they fact they endorsed Obama's own gun background check. And Sestak was deemed unwinnable, and then polls after the nominating contest showed that he was the better candidate.

Hogan, like Toomey, supports gun control
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2018, 06:08:55 PM »

Pat Toomey and Ron Johnson won due to they fact they endorsed Obama's own gun background check. And Sestak was deemed unwinnable, and then polls after the nominating contest showed that he was the better candidate.

Hogan, like Toomey, supports gun control
I know you are Olawakandi, and there is no way to reason with you, but how is supporting gun control guaranteeing Hogan reelection?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: August 20, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »

Concealed weapons were struck down by the Crts in DC and most of MD supports gun control
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »

Hogan's first GE ad is about taxes, hits O'Malley and the infamous rain tax. Jealous is going to have a hard time outmaneuvering Hogan on taxes especially with his single payer plan he's pushing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZNU3OkcP8
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2018, 06:13:31 PM »

Jealous probably loses this race, anyways.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »

I was talking to a Democratic committee man recently about this race.

I said that, if Hogan gets reelected, "we'll see if he positions himself for 2024," by which I meant that we'll see if Hogan moves notably to the right once he no longer has to worry about reelection so as to build up base support for a 2024 Presidential bid.

The committee man scoffed and said "we'll see if Jealous positions himself for next week."

Oof.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/Politics1com/status/1032727515054465025/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5E345660015270559744&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fpolitics1.com%2F

Congrats, Hogan!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »

I know this is Atlas, but I dont think anyone cares about this, like, at all. The swearing event, which has already been forgotten at this point, will have a deeper effect.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »

Some staffer liking a bad tweet is the biggest scandal that has ever scandaled. Jealous will be lucky to get 1% of the vote now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »

Jealous was a weak candidate to begin with and was gonna lose anyway, but the last thing he needs is for his campaign to have its twitter account like a pro-cop killing comment.  The swearing thing is dumb, but this will look pretty gross to voters.  Jealous can’t be making dumb mistakes like this if he wants to have a prayer against Hogan.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »

Jealous was a weak candidate to begin with and was gonna lose anyway, but the last thing he needs is for his campaign to have its twitter account like a pro-cop killing comment.  The swearing thing is dumb, but this will look pretty gross to voters.  Jealous can’t be making dumb mistakes like this if he wants to have a prayer against Hogan.
I think you misunderstand me, Bolton. Im not saying this is a positive development, Im saying this means nothing. As in nobody cares. On atlas, its easy to get sucked into the bubble that every development means something, but with actual voters, it doesnt. Im saying that this will have an effect on 1 voter tops, and, like the swearing comment, will probably not even be remembered by the 6 voters who saw this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2018, 04:52:53 PM »

I think you misunderstand me, Bolton. Im not saying this is a positive development, Im saying this means nothing. As in nobody cares. On atlas, its easy to get sucked into the bubble that every development means something, but with actual voters, it doesnt. Im saying that this will have an effect on 1 voter tops, and, like the swearing comment, will probably not even be remembered by the 6 voters who saw this.

Ah, in that case, I hope you’re right.  I guess we’ll see Tongue
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2018, 05:10:20 PM »

Looks like Hogan is starting to have some Jealous style mishaps.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #266 on: August 25, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »

I guess you could say that he was jealous of Ben's mistakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3jnW2kcUs
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #267 on: August 25, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »

Hogan showing his true colors I see.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #268 on: August 26, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »

Yeah. This is why I'm still undecided in the race. I truly think Hogan is a fake moderate, but I'm uneasy with a few of Jealous's positions.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #269 on: August 26, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »

Jealous is seen as anti-police. That should help him in Baltimore County. /sarc

Jealous will win the Maryland black vote, but he will lose the white vote badly.

Jealous will be lucky to get more than 30% of the white vote in liberal Maryland.

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: August 26, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »

Jealous is seen as anti-police. That should help him in Baltimore County. /sarc

Jealous will win the Maryland black vote, but he will lose the white vote badly.

Jealous will be lucky to get more than 30% of the white vote in liberal Maryland.

Hes already winning 33% of the white vote in polling so far, in fact, its the AA vote that is undecided, which is why he is always down, funny enough.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »

Everytime I see a Hogan ad, it makes me more enthusiastic in my support for Jealous, not less. They are backfiring.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »

Everytime I see a Hogan ad, it makes me more enthusiastic in my support for Jealous, not less. They are backfiring.

Somehow I don't think you're their intended target.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2018, 06:08:45 PM »

The problem is that Ben Cardin is on the ballot and not Chris Van Hollen.  Cardin is much more in line with people that vote for Hogan than Chris Van Hollen is, who galvanize the O'Malley blacks. That's why it's a Lean R race.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »

The problem is that Ben Cardin is on the ballot and not Chris Van Hollen.  Cardin is much more in line with people that vote for Hogan than Chris Van Hollen is, who galvanize the O'Malley blacks. That's why it's a Lean R race.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies