Arab-Americans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:11:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Arab-Americans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Arab-Americans  (Read 3982 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2004, 07:49:41 PM »

Most U.S. Arabs are Christian, not Muslim, and they typically left the Middle East at least partially to escape the misery of living as a minority in Muslim countries.  So its no surprise they're Republicans.
That is why my dad left Egypt in 1979. There is a lot of descrimination against Christians.

he's a copt?

I understand the very word Egypt is a bastardization of that name.  Misr is what egyptians call egypt.  Misr jamillah.  I can personally attest to Egypt being a fascinating place to visit.  I wasn't aware of such discrimination.  Maybe they make nice for the tourists.
Sk
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2004, 08:21:54 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2004, 08:27:22 PM by Sk »

I know quite a few Muslims at OSU. Many voted for Bush in 2000, which surprised me. What doesn't surprise me is that they are going to support Kerry in strong numbers this time around. Most have told me that their upset with Bush's invasion of Iraq (obviously) and upset with his new policy toward Israel and the West Bank. Its very unfortunate that we have lost the Muslim vote because I think they could have been a huge asset this year and in the many years to come (especially in Michigan).
    Hey Ali! I'm takin Arabic right now but can't seem to translate your message. Would you mind translating it for me? Maybe it's in a colloquial form?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2004, 08:39:11 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2004, 09:22:01 PM by angus »

No it is very formal.  Even has the fatha and damma and stuff.  I'm guessing its probably from the Qur'an.  I'm no linguist, but I make it out something like:

"And what the man presents to you, you must accept, and what he forbids you, you must forgo.  and fear God, as verily God is stern in his retribution."

something like that.

the verbs are a bitch, aren't they?  beautiful language though.  

anybody know what the little Jiim over the alif in the second line means?  that looks a bit weird.
Sk
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2004, 08:57:23 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2004, 08:59:48 PM by Sk »

Ya, your right Angus. All of the diacritical marks must mean its modern standard or from the Quran. As far as the jim at the top of the alif, I'm not sure.
     And as for the verbs, they are, indeed, a bitch. But its a really cool language.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2004, 09:19:08 PM »

here's a site I found helpful when I began studying arabic

http://www.i-cias.com/babel/arabic/

some of the (real) arabic speakers may laugh at it, but I found it useful.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2004, 12:43:37 PM »

I don't know about this...I do know that in Sweden, where there are a lot of Muslims, many are anti-US and anti-Israel. Not sure whether the US looks the same though, those who choose to move there should be more pro-American I guess.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies