Scenario if Trump fires Muller
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:02:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Scenario if Trump fires Muller
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scenario if Trump fires Muller  (Read 735 times)
jman123
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:57:20 PM »

What do you think would you see play out if Trump fires Muller now that he's under investigation? In particular, how would congressional Republicans react? Democrats would probably file articles of impeachment.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »

The Democrats file articles of impeachment.

John McCain claims that he's deeply concerned.

Paul Ryan explains that Trump just needs sturdier training wheels.

The GOP can't get most of their agenda through.

Sh!tshow ensues.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »

There's going to be a venting impeachment trial no matter he does so whatever.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »

The Democrats file articles of impeachment.

John McCain claims that he's deeply concerned.

Paul Ryan explains that Trump just needs sturdier training wheels.

The GOP can't get most of their agenda through.

Sh!tshow ensues.

So, exactly the way it is now, then?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »

I don't think Trump would personally fire Mueller, but get Rosenstein to do it. Rosenstein appears to have some integrity, so I assume he'd resign. After that, Trump would hire a staunch loyalist to fire Mueller for him, which I assume he would manage to find. The thing is, I think the investigation would still be considered ongoing, and they'd have to find a new special council, presumably also someone fairly close to Trump. This whole process would take a few days, if not a week or two, and would result in Trump's approval falling to the mid-20s, at which point there would be serious rumblings from Republicans (particularly those facing reelection next year) that Trump should either resign or face impeachment in the House. At that point, it would really be up to Trump what fate he chooses for himself.
jman123
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »

Don't Dems understand that with Trump out Pence is in.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »

What I'm wondering is, why would Trump seriously entertain this if he is in fact innocent? Is he actually that stupid and incompetent, that he'd do it just because? Has he done something improper that doesn't amount to collusion but is still 'spicy' enough for him not to want it out there? Have Newt Gingrich and the Fox & Friends cast gotten into his head and convinced him Mueller is biased?
jman123
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »

What I'm wondering is, why would Trump seriously entertain this if he is in fact innocent? Is he actually that stupid and incompetent, that he'd do it just because? Has he done something improper that doesn't amount to collusion but is still 'spicy' enough for him not to want it out there? Have Newt Gingrich and the Fox & Friends cast gotten into his head and convinced him Mueller is biased?

He might fire him imo over biasness claim
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »

Is he (trump) actually that stupid and incompetent ...

Yes.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »

No matter the reason we're the president to fire him, if he did, it would look incredibly suspicious and would in all likelihood further claims and investigations of obstruction.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »

It's stupid and incompetent in a political sense.  In Trump's business world, it probably makes perfect sense.  A subordinate is causing trouble, so Trump wants to make him go away.  It's hard to change old habits and patterns of thought.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 07:37:47 PM »

Its not about that anymore. This isn't just about a bad president, its about an existential crisis.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »

As I've stated in other threads, I would prefer Pence because I at least don't think he's a traitor.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »

Sure. And I really don't like Pence, and am more than a little skeptical about his abilities as President. But  politics aside, there's a difference between a competent President, or a bad President, or an effing lunatic with the executive skills and intellect of a malformed yam sitting the in White House. Pence has politics I abhor, and probably wouldn't even be that effective as President. But I suspect he'd be better than the developmentally disabled Kim Jong Un with carotenosis we have now.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 08:32:14 PM »

Sure. And I really don't like Pence, and am more than a little skeptical about his abilities as President. But  politics aside, there's a difference between a competent President, or a bad President, or an effing lunatic with the executive skills and intellect of a malformed yam sitting the in White House. Pence has politics I abhor, and probably wouldn't even be that effective as President. But I suspect he'd be better than the developmentally disabled Kim Jong Un with carotenosis we have now.

Yes, absolutely. Besides Trump being an awful president, he's doing serious damage to our reputation and is too incompetent and ego-driven to run an effective administration. At this point, I'd rather take Pence even if that involves somewhat more GOP policy gains. At least we'd have some stability.

However, to imagine this whole process playing out - I'm not entirely sure the GOP would even still have a House majority by the time Trump left office. If that is the case, it is even more beneficial to have Pence. Democrats could put the kibosh on his agenda and not have to worry about a man-child ruining our country and destroying our image/relationships abroad.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »

Yes, absolutely. Besides Trump being an awful president, he's doing serious damage to our reputation and is too incompetent and ego-driven to run an effective administration. At this point, I'd rather take Pence even if that involves somewhat more GOP policy gains. At least we'd have some stability.

However, to imagine this whole process playing out - I'm not entirely sure the GOP would even still have a House majority by the time Trump left office. If that is the case, it is even more beneficial to have Pence. Democrats could put the kibosh on his agenda and not have to worry about a man-child ruining our country and destroying our image/relationships abroad.

Completely agree with Ghost of Ruin and Virginia.
It's more that trump has destroyed our (USA) image around the world (and within our nation).
If trump just conducted himself like a professional 71 year-old adult, but yet had terrible (ideological) policies, I could live with that. Elections have consequences.
But the narcissistic, childish and clownish behavior I cant take !
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2017, 10:36:03 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Trump out would destroy the fragile unity of the Republican party and begin a vicious civil war by Trumpists against those within the GOP who supported his impeachment. Democrats would win massively.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »

We can undo the damage of Mike Pence by repudiating the legislation that he sponsors because we will have a chance. With Donald Trump we may not have that chance.

We may be talking about the path to a military coup with President Trump. We could have a Pinochet following this President.   
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »

President Pence would be unable to do much and would mainly have to do clean-up for Trump's impeachment before likely losing the House. At the very least Pence is stable, relatively sane and while I disagree with him on many issues I trust him with the nuclear codes and believe he is a far better person than Donald Trump.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 09:41:46 AM »

So much love for Pence here.... Smiley Smiley

Seriously though, I would agree with most.  Even though Pence lacks world experience and has some controversial social views, he would at least bring back stability.  With Trump, it's a deja vu amateur hour, and the swamp is as deep as ever..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies