US regions you learned in school vs your "personal" US regions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:16:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US regions you learned in school vs your "personal" US regions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: US regions you learned in school vs your "personal" US regions  (Read 904 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »

Though Southern Missouri, Illinois and Indiana are all culturally Southern (IMO), there is no way in hell that the state of Indiana is part of the South.  It might have a few more Southern influences (even my sister living in Indianapolis says it is noticably more influenced by the South than Iowa), but it's clearly a Midwestern state.

This may sound crazy, but there are people who think that Wisconsin has more in common with the South politically and even culturally than with the rest of the Midwest. There might be a grain of truth to this claim, but it's obviously an exaggeration.

Those people have literally never been to Wisconsin.  Absolutely nothing Southern about it.  Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana and Ohio (POSSIBLY Iowa) have a few culturally Southern areas, but even that's a stretch.  Rural + conservative =/= Southern.  Plenty of rednecks in Vermont.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 03:57:26 PM »

Even southern Indiana is not the south, although it was heavily settled and influenced by upland southerners. It is equally accurate to say that the area around Owensborough Kentucky or Louisville is midwestern as it is to say southern Indiana is southern.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »

Louisville and Cincinnati feel pretty similar. You can tell which bank of the Ohio each one is on, though.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »

Though Southern Missouri, Illinois and Indiana are all culturally Southern (IMO), there is no way in hell that the state of Indiana is part of the South.  It might have a few more Southern influences (even my sister living in Indianapolis says it is noticably more influenced by the South than Iowa), but it's clearly a Midwestern state.

This may sound crazy, but there are people who think that Wisconsin has more in common with the South politically and even culturally than with the rest of the Midwest. There might be a grain of truth to this claim, but it's obviously an exaggeration.

Those people have literally never been to Wisconsin.  Absolutely nothing Southern about it.  Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana and Ohio (POSSIBLY Iowa) have a few culturally Southern areas, but even that's a stretch.  Rural + conservative =/= Southern.  Plenty of rednecks in Vermont.

I found a pretty funny article:

https://www.wpr.org/wississippi-reporter-examines-whether-wisconsin-has-more-common-southern-states

When Georgia starts voting Democratic and Maine goes Republican, will the former no longer be considered a Southern state and the latter then will? Haha.

LOL, exactly ... the definition of "The South" and "The Midwest" and the other regions don't just change.  Virginia will be a part of the South as long as this country exists, whether the self-obsessed folks in NOVA like it or not.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »

I was taught that New Englanders were traitors and Southerners were patriots.
You were taught wrong then:)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »

I was taught not to talk about my "personal" regions in polite company.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »

There's always one of my personal favorites from the book: "The Nine Nations of North America"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Nations_of_North_America

https://www.amazon.com/Nine-Nations-North-America/dp/0380578859

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »

I assume I was taught something like the U. S. Census Bureau if I was taught it at all.

You think Pennsylvania is Midwestern? Some parts of western PA have a strong MidWest flavor, but the whole state definitely is not.

I would argue that more of western PA, geographically, fits with Ohio than eastern PA fits with New Jersey. It'a also noticeably distinct from New York's weird thing.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies