Next PM??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:31:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next PM??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Next PM??  (Read 4054 times)
jbm4pres
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »
« edited: June 08, 2017, 08:59:22 PM by jbm4pres »

Assuming the Conservatives remain in power and Theresa May is forced out who will be her replacement? Boris Johnson? Someone else? Who?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:34:28 PM »

May, she can cajole her members into keeping her, but she won't be there for long.

If not, Boris Johnson, dark horse Priti Patel, or Jeremy Corbyn (Labour).
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »

ABB (Anyone But Boris)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »

Priti Patel.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »

Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »

David Davis.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 12:17:34 AM by mvd10 »

Philip Hammond maybe? I imagine the free market Tories will be pissed off with May. They probably accepted her leftish rhetoric on economic issues when she still was winning but it might be a different story now she lost the majority. And Hammond looks like a classic Thatcherite to me.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »

Hopefully David Davis, but I think they'll try for Patel first.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »

Ruth Davidson
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 01:11:16 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 02:35:04 AM by Trounce-'em Theresa »

Philip Hammond maybe? I imagine the free market Tories will be pissed off with May. They probably accepted her leftish rhetoric on economic issues when she still was winning but it might be a different story now she lost the majority. And Hammond looks like a classic Thatcherite to me.

Why would an upset loss-of-majority to Jeremy Corbyn induce the Tories to move right on political economy?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 02:39:09 AM »

apparantly he's getting a lot of beind the scenes blame.

I would say Rudd, but her narrow win may cause her to be weakened.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 02:45:23 AM »

Isn't Rudd one of the few high profile ''Mayites'' in the Tory party. Surely she shares the blame too.

Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 03:58:27 AM »

Good jokes with that Patel option.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 04:24:48 AM »

Isn't Rudd one of the few high profile ''Mayites'' in the Tory party. Surely she shares the blame too.

the perception was that Rudd was doing a relatively admirable and thankless job of being a proxy.

She certainly has conducted herself better tham Hammond, whose Chancellorship has been the least visible since Howe's and had two lousy budgets; BoJo who is a ludicrous figure even amongst Tory MP's; the various Thatcher wannabes like Javid and Patil etc. Perhaps it will be a backbencher = the current cabinet is a bit weedy imo.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 05:36:16 AM »

If Patel or Javid is the next PM, then the subsequent one will almost certainly be Corbyn.

Both of them resemble cartoon villains far too much to be viable options in an election.
Klartext89

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »

ABC - anyone but Corbyn.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »

Why would an upset loss-of-majority to Jeremy Corbyn induce the Tories to move right on political economy?

Because May tried to move to the left on economic issues and it didn't really work out. The Tory Right might have accepted stuff like the energy price cap when May still was projected to win a 100 seat majority but I'm not sure whether they'll accept May's relatively left-wing positions on some economic issues now.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »

Because May tried to move to the left on economic issues and it didn't really work out. The Tory Right might have accepted stuff like the energy price cap when May still was projected to win a 100 seat majority but I'm not sure whether they'll accept May's relatively left-wing positions on some economic issues now.

The right wing party loses to Jeremy Corbyn...Ruth Davidson, a moderate, saved their majority, and their response should be....Move to the Right!

What could possibly go wrong?  
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »

It ought to be noted that the turning point of the campaign was the manifesto leak, when the thing that everyone was talking about wasn't the energy price cap or any of the things where they'd moved away from the liberal position, but... the dementia tax; which is old fashioned Thatcherism at its worst.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »

Nigel Dodds
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »

Ian Paisley Jr, surely?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 10:22:15 AM by mvd10 »

The right wing party loses to Jeremy Corbyn...Ruth Davidson, a moderate, saved their majority, and their response should be....Move to the Right!

What could possibly go wrong?  

I'm not saying they should move to the right btw, I just said that it's pretty likely the next Tory leader (if May is ousted) won't turn to the left on economic issues. And I wouldn't be surprised if people like Davidson and Cameron are to the right of May on economic issues. May is really right-wing on immigration and the EU, but she's pretty left-wing on economic issues (atleast her rhetoric is). This lost her a lot of votes in places like Kensington. The more economically libertarian Tories accepted May's rhetoric on workers' rights and energy prices as long as she kept winning. But it's pretty clear that May's approach didn't work, so why would the Tories even support adding more workers' rights and freezing energy prices if those policies violate their beliefs and didn't win them any more seats?

And moving to the left didn't exactly hurt the Labour party btw, even though I don't think Corbyn ever will be PM.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »

The key thing in London has probably been Europe rather than economics - there's been a remarkable increase in turnout and swings have been very high in inner London - 10% in Battersea for example.  It does seem a bit silly to be blaming them from moving left when the only people directly gaining in central London are Labour...
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »

The key thing in London has probably been Europe rather than economics - there's been a remarkable increase in turnout and swings have been very high in inner London - 10% in Battersea for example.  It does seem a bit silly to be blaming them from moving left when the only people directly gaining in central London are Labour...

Not just Brexit, Battersea is sort of emblematic of the kind of place that has a lot of young, university educated voters (I mean, ever been to Clapham?) who are dealing with student debt and now have to bear the brunt of the housing crisis.

These are the kinds of people who would theoretically be the Conservatives core vote in 15 years, and the Tories are going to have to move to the left on certain issues (housing and tuition fees especially) if they don't want to lose them permanently.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

I'm not saying they should move to the right btw, I just said that it's pretty likely the next Tory leader (if May is ousted) won't turn to the left on economic issues. And I wouldn't be surprised if people like Davidson and Cameron are to the right of May on economic issues. May is really right-wing on immigration and the EU, but she's pretty left-wing on economic issues (atleast her rhetoric is). This lost her a lot of votes in places like Kensington. The more economically libertarian Tories accepted May's rhetoric on workers' rights and energy prices as long as she kept winning. But it's pretty clear that May's approach didn't work, so why would the Tories even support adding more workers' rights and freezing energy prices if those policies violate their beliefs and didn't win them any more seats?

And moving to the left didn't exactly hurt the Labour party btw, even though I don't think Corbyn ever will be PM.
So according to you, voters in Kensington were so displeased with May's economic turn to the left that they voted for the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn? Sounds really implausible to me. Victoria Borwick, the incumbent Tory MP in Kensington (69% Remain), being a Brexiteer + the general anti-Tory trend in London have been much more important, I think.

I would also not overstate May's turn to the left. I thought it was real, but the manifesto didn't really show it. This has also been one of the reasons that the Conservatives failed to attract a larger number of former UKIP voters: many went back to Labour instead because of the Tories' right-wing manifesto. I would argue the Tories should have turned to the left economically much more than they did.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies