S6: Southern Defense Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:22:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S6: Southern Defense Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S6: Southern Defense Act (Tabled)  (Read 714 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2017, 03:04:29 PM by Southern Speaker fhtagn »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: fhtagn
Co-sponsor: West_Midlander
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »

We don't need an army. We shouldn't have an army. We aren't a sovereign state. Just no.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »

Would this come into effect (conscription) only if war broke out?

If so, the bill seems all right.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »

It is my understanding that this is simply in the event that the use of said Army is necessary. So things like war, natural disaster, etc (so basically like the National Guard).
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »

It is my understanding that this is simply in the event that the use of said Army is necessary. So things like war, natural disaster, etc (so basically like the National Guard).

Great. Then this bill has my support. Could I co-sponsor it as that was my only qualm w/ it?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »

Great. Then this bill has my support. Could I co-sponsor it as that was my only qualm w/ it?

Sure! I'll update it
diptheriadan

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:16:58 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2017, 08:19:20 PM by diptheriadan »

I think I should note that I jokingly wrote this (and others) bill. I would be in favor of a sort of system like (I think) Switzerland's, where it conscripts 18 year olds for mandatory service for a few months and then sends them on their way. That could also help with the gun situation since you'd have more trained people with firearms than bumbling rednecks with firearms.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:24:04 PM »

As the sponsor states it's a joke, I'd hope this chamber motion to table immediately.
diptheriadan

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »

As the sponsor states it's a joke, I'd hope this chamber motion to table immediately.

I also stated that the bill could be amended to satisfactory standards.

Aside from that, I also think y'all need to discuss the budget. Keeping it at 1 Billion is going to start cutting out the rest of the projects you're going to get into. I think bringing back the Progressive Tax would be a good start for that.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:43:38 PM »

Aside from that, I also think y'all need to discuss the budget. Keeping it at 1 Billion is going to start cutting out the rest of the projects you're going to get into. I think bringing back the Progressive Tax would be a good start for that.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 08:27:51 AM by Delegate West_Midlander »

I second the Gentleman from Louisiana and propose that the bill be amended in its current form and we re-institute the progressive income tax, to such a level as to raise funds amounting to no less than $850,000,000 per annum. null, given my two amendments below
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »

This seems highly unnecessary in my opinion. What is the point? We already have a national army, I'm unclear on what makes this necessary.
diptheriadan

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

This seems highly unnecessary in my opinion. What is the point? We already have a national army, I'm unclear on what makes this necessary.

Having an army allows you a few perks that are typically only given to actual nations. Plus, if we go through the "military or community service" route, then this bill is basically just creating a social program.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »

I feel uncomfortable about having a system running parallel to our national guard, which has the capacity to take up arms against its own government. We are a region, and not a nation. If we want to talk about expanding service programs like the JROTC, I am perfectly fine with that, and entirely support it. But this is a ridiculous idea, and one I wonder if is even constitutional.

Plus, $1 Billion isn't chump change, especially when we don't know what we have with our current budget, as our last one was unconstitutional.
diptheriadan

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »

I feel uncomfortable about having a system running parallel to our national guard, which has the capacity to take up arms against its own government. We are a region, and not a nation. If we want to talk about expanding service programs like the JROTC, I am perfectly fine with that, and entirely support it. But this is a ridiculous idea, and one I wonder if is even constitutional.

Plus, $1 Billion isn't chump change, especially when we don't know what we have with our current budget, as our last one was unconstitutional.

Explain.

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

How was the previous one unconstitutional?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »

Explain.

It is the Governor whom must propose a Budget, not a legislator, as clearly stated in our constitution (Article III, Section X). The Budget and committee thereof, proposed was done so by a legislator (BenKenobi), and not by the acting Governor, yourself. I do not have any knowledge that Mr. Kenobi did this at your bequest (still must have been stated at the time of sponsorship), but through my reading of the public situation that the budget passed, was not done so through the measure prescribed by our region's constitution.
diptheriadan

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 05:33:20 PM »

Explain.

It is the Governor whom must propose a Budget, not a legislator, as clearly stated in our constitution (Article III, Section X). The Budget and committee thereof, proposed was done so by a legislator (BenKenobi), and not by the acting Governor, yourself. I do not have any knowledge that Mr. Kenobi did this at your bequest (still must have been stated at the time of sponsorship), but through my reading of the public situation that the budget passed, was not done so through the measure prescribed by our region's constitution.

Ah. I didn't know I had to explicitly state that I had given the authority to Ben at the time. I apologize for not doing so.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 02:35:07 PM by Delegate West_Midlander »

I'd like to propose two one amendments to the bill.
1. Instead of $1 billion, $500 million shall be appropriated to the GAS.

2. The Progressive income tax will be introduced to such a level (idk what %) as to provide for $350 million in revenue.

EDIT: Income tax rates will follow those set forth here.
Percentages will be determinant on if this amendment and the above-referenced amendment pass.

EDIT: 2nd Amendment withdrawn
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 02:33:59 PM »

I'm withdrawing my second amendment to the bill.
I also suggest we table the bill for the time being, and hopefully it can be re-visited when funding becomes more viable.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »

Second.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »

Now opening a 48 hour vote to table this bill.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »

AYE
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God