Will a lack of policy accomplishments actually hurt Republicans in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:24:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will a lack of policy accomplishments actually hurt Republicans in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will a lack of policy accomplishments actually hurt Republicans in 2018, or will all of that come secondary to Trump and his problems?
Yes

No

Other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Will a lack of policy accomplishments actually hurt Republicans in 2018?  (Read 980 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »

I was reading this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/02/donald-trump-russia-congress-239079

And it got me wondering - to what degree will a lack of progress on the Republican policy agenda hurt Congressmen up for reelection next year? My thoughts are that a lack of policy successes will give Republicans less to talk about and divert even more attention to Trump's numerous scandals (including the investigation). However, I wonder how much something like tax reform would actually help the Republican Party. The particular reform they want to do would involve a lot of benefits for the wealthy, so whatever help that gives the GOP with their base would probably be matched by anger from the left.

In the end, it still seems to leave the midterm as the ultimate referendum on Trump and all his shortcomings.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »

On the one hand say the AHCA fails in the senate an is dead by midterms yes the GOP would really be hurt if it had past an tge dems just hit then over an over on it but at the same time incompetency is just as worse
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:43:53 PM »

I figure that nothing of note being passed could possibly depress a part of their base that both is actually aware of their unique position with unified control, and also expects them to use it, but at the same time, most of their agenda is pretty unpopular. I'm having trouble balancing the two. On one hand, not passing some sort of healthcare reform will upset parts of their party that expect it, but on the other, passing their idea of reform would royally piss off millions of Americans who would then lose their coverage.

The more I think about it, the harder it is to find a sweet spot for the GOP in 2018. Both Trump and the enduring ACA have put them in a serious bind.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:54:15 PM »

The best thing they can do is tax reform; especially if they lower the corporate tax rate and do some kind of sweetheart repatriation deal that corporations can't refuse.

The biggest challenge in the post financial crisis economy is trying to get growth for the middle and working classes in this country going again without engaging in the same credit buildup we had in the 2000's. The economic gains during the Obama recovery went overwhelmingly to the top 10% of the income distribution.

If the GOP is really ballsy they could just do away with Dodd Frank/the cfpb and let the 2000's credit economy come roaring back to stimulate growth again among middle and lower income people. Problem here is that even a lot of the guys on Wall Street don't want Dodd Frank to go away (at least many or most provisions) since they know that a 2008 redux would put them in a very small corner.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »

All they had to do was say they wanted to repeal and replace Obamacare.  But, many of the GOP Govs like Walker and Kasich who helped usher in the GOP wave especially in 2014 have expanded medicaid.  Touching medicare is toxic for the GOP especially for seniors who are their constituency.  And it will help the Dems win the majority in 2018, with the help of the AARP. The Health Care Reform is the Dems winning message in 2018.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »

Yes, just like it hurt the Dems in 2010 and 1994.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »

Didn't hurt 'em in 2002 or 2004.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »

That was different though, because if you weren't with them then you were literally with the terrorists, or so i hear.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies