where is the outrage for keeanga-yamahtta taylor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:34:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  where is the outrage for keeanga-yamahtta taylor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: where is the outrage for keeanga-yamahtta taylor?  (Read 934 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

a similar situation exists with linda sarsour.

so, … why?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »

Cherrypicking is a booming industry these days
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

a similar situation exists with linda sarsour.

so, … why?

lol "correctly"

but yeah that's not right.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:13:18 PM »

People getting death threat versions of the heckler's veto more and more often is really damaging to our democracy. FFS just don't go listen to the speaker if you don't want to hear what they have to say
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »

People getting death threat versions of the heckler's veto more and more often is really damaging to our democracy. FFS just don't go listen to the speaker if you don't want to hear what they have to say
Which is why I appreciated that the Notre Dame students walked out instead of heckling Pence.
Jeffster
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2017, 09:27:23 PM by Jeffster »

How many of these email death threats sent to political speakers ever actually turned into a real murder? They are most likely empty threats, and with so many hoaxes these days you can't even be sure it's from a political opponent anymore. Yet angry mobs attacking people outside of conservative speeches in an effort to shut it down have actually happened. You think Milo, Shapiro, Coulter, etc. don't get anonymous death threats too? Until I see angry right wing mobs trying to block people from getting in to hear a speech from someone on the left, or pull the fire alarms, or engage in the heckler's veto inside the event to prevent the speaker from talking, or attacking speech-goers outside the event, then we can talk about equal outrage.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 10:59:09 PM »

This is the test, for whether the conservatives who complained about triggered SJW snowflakes were hypocrites or not.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »

I think most conservatives oppose death threats and mob mentality attacks against all speakers. I know even the uniquely vile Linda Sarsour should have been allowed to speak, although I would have actively turned my back on her.

This is still a world apart from the violent mobs that injured Allison Stanger and are currently actively hunting a Jewish professor at Evergreen State, though. Both should be condemned, but one is a much larger threat to the safety of everyone around them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »

maybe because these are anonymous emails and it's hard to make an interesting video out of that?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 11:57:57 PM »

I think most conservatives oppose death threats and mob mentality attacks against all speakers.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 12:57:48 AM »

Literally LITERALLY every college professor in America calls Donald Trump a racist and a misogynist and a liar. Why did this women get singled out? Of course, I support her right to free speech and oppose violence or threats of violence against her but I'm curious as to why right-wingers are even bothered? If there's no reason I think there's a good chance she's a crazy person herself who is looking for attention.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »

I haven't heard of Prof. Taylor, but Linda Sarsour deserves to be protested as strongly as possible wherever she goes and not made to feel welcome anywhere.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 01:48:05 AM »

I haven't heard of Prof. Taylor, but Linda Sarsour deserves to be protested as strongly as possible wherever she goes and not made to feel welcome anywhere.
Linda Sarsour is indeed one of America's leading HPs.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 07:06:02 AM »

Yeah, this. If she doesn't feel welcome at universities that's absolutely great news and shouldn't change.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »

I think most conservatives oppose death threats and mob mentality attacks against all speakers.

Donald Trump is no conservative, he's a populist thug who has sadly been embraced by far too many desperate conservatives.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »

s/a contrapoints's excellent video "does the left hate free speech?" which was mass-flagged (and thus removed from youtube) by right-wingers & about which none of the Usual Suspects have spoken out

Yeah, this. If she doesn't feel welcome at universities that's absolutely great news and shouldn't change.

see, i would feel the same way about charles murray, ann coulter etc.. as long as you're not presenting yourself as a Champion Of Free Speech or whatever, y'know
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »

s/a contrapoints's excellent video "does the left hate free speech?" which was mass-flagged (and thus removed from youtube) by right-wingers & about which none of the Usual Suspects have spoken out

see, i would feel the same way about charles murray, ann coulter etc.. as long as you're not presenting yourself as a Champion Of Free Speech or whatever, y'know

In general, even for very extreme cases, I don't think colleges should disinvite speakers for pretty much any reason at all, unless maybe someone is wanted for an actual recent violent crime they've committed, but when people hold absolutely horrible views it's perfectly legitimate for their presence to be protested against, and protested against strongly. I think Sarsour is a lot worse than Coulter or Murray, but the truth is I wouldn't be elated to have either of them on my campus either and would be down to join a non-violent protest against their views.

Campus protest should, in the ideal world, be more along the lines of "affirmation of values" than "shutting someone else down".
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 12:46:38 PM »

In general, even for very extreme cases, I don't think colleges should disinvite speakers for pretty much any reason at all, unless maybe someone is wanted for an actual recent violent crime they've committed, but when people hold absolutely horrible views it's perfectly legitimate for their presence to be protested against, and protested against strongly. I think Sarsour is a lot worse than Coulter or Murray, but the truth is I wouldn't be elated to have either of them on my campus either and would be down to join a non-violent protest against their views.

Campus protest should, in the ideal world, be more along the lines of "affirmation of values" than "shutting someone else down".
Just out of curiosity, what makes Sarsour so bad besides her support for BDS some jokes on Twitter she made about Sharia Law?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies