Camelot Anew
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:02:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Camelot Anew
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Camelot Anew  (Read 26808 times)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »

Wait a minute. July 9th, 1971? Shouldn't a few Republicans have already announced they were running by now?
Well Reagan already said he wasn't running. And it's not odd to wait for the end of the summer before you announce
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2017, 12:32:06 AM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »

Wait a minute. July 9th, 1971? Shouldn't a few Republicans have already announced they were running by now?
Not in the 1970s, most began declaring by the end of summer if not fall.

Also, many updates tonight, should take us to the 1972 election.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »

Good evening. The President was attacked while campaigning for his gun control bill in Detroit. The assailant was identified as John Michael Carroll, of Barry County, Michigan, a 1968 supporter of George Wallace and a vehement opponent to President Kennedy. Mr. Carroll fired four shots into the crowd, wounding three people, though none of them are believed to have sustained life threatening injuries. Detroit Police apprehended Mr. Carroll at the scene, while Secret Service tackled the President and brought him to a secure location.

"Really, that was all that was needed to get the undecideds off the fence and on board for the gun control bill."

"The day before the House voted we brought in the victims. And after it passed both chambers we brought them back for the signing ceremony. An older black woman, Anita Davis, and a young white couple, Mark and Jocelyn Thibault."

"We knew that the NRA and other gun lobbying groups were going to end up suing the federal government over the bill. But it was another major accomplishment for the President, just under a year and half before the election. The President's approvals were in the 70s, the bill's approvals were in the 60s, and no major Republicans had declared their candidacy."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2017, 11:06:46 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 10:07:18 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

Part X: It's His Turn

"Being RNC Chair in the early 1970s...it was an unenviable job, that's for damn sure."
-Excerpt from an interview with Bob Dole, April 3, 2016

"I mean, we have nobody."
-Excerpt from a private letter from Republican Minority leader Gerald R. Ford to New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, dated June 20th, 1971.

"And I sure as hell wasn't going to run for President against Bobby. I had a career!"

"I wasn't going to run again in 1972. The country had rejected me twice. And when Ron didn't want to run, it pretty much fell to Rocky."

I am officially running for President of the United States!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »

"We took Nelson seriously. But we were not scared of him."

"I mean, we were just so far above him in the polls. And conservatives weren't enamored with Rocky, that's for damn sure."

"Then Goldwater changed everything."

This country can't have two out of touch New York liberals fighting for its future. That is why I'm announcing my candidacy for President of the United States!
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »

He’s returned...

Looks very interesting!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2017, 06:14:27 PM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

"Goldwater totally [expletive] us."

"Dad was being blackballed by the GOP establishment. He did something drastic. He called George Wallace."
-excerpt from an interview with Barry Goldwater, Jr., the Chicago Sun-Times, March 11, 2015

...I accept the American Independent Party's nomination for President of the United States!

"After Goldwater entered, we thought there would be a reasonable chance of winning all 50 states."

"He called us New York liberals. But he still brought back William Miller as his running mate. But we knew we needed a game changer. I knew who I wanted as my running mate."
-excerpt from Nelson A. Rockefeller's personal journals, dated June 30, 1972.

My fellow Americans! It is with tremendous honor and pride that I accept your nomination for Vice President!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2017, 06:53:26 PM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

"The campaign was like the Bataan Death March...[expletive], that's not politically correct, is it?"

"We coasted that campaign. We were so far ahead. We made a few appearances in the big cities and nominally close states, but we knew how it was going to end."

"Dad's whole plan was to help the Democrats win every state...to remind the Republicans not to forget the conservative wing again. Rockefeller and Maggie Smith...my god."

"Even with me on the ticket, women were choosing Kennedy by nearly 2 out of 3. I knew it was always going to be a long shot, but I didn't expect it to be as miserable as it was."
-excerpt from an interview with Margaret Chase Smith, September 19, 1999

"The sole debate, the one I moderated, was positively boring. Kennedy played it safe, Rockefeller was dejected, Goldwater completely ignored the President to attack Rockefeller."
-excerpt from an interview with Howard K. Smith, February 12, 2001

"I will always respect Nelson for the campaign he ran, however. He knew he was doomed. But he still went out there every day, making his case to the people."
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »

They dug up Chase's corpse to conduct an interview? Or did she live to 101/102?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »

Butterflied her a longer life, because other real life figures have much shorter ones.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »

Butterflied her a longer life, because other real life figures have much shorter ones.

Turns out she was also cremated IRL, so...
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2017, 07:18:25 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 10:11:42 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

8:00
"Good evening and welcome to CBS's coverage of the 1972 presidential election. I'm Howard K. Smith. Tonight, President Robert F. Kennedy hopes, and is widely expected, to win another term to the nation's highest office. Citing capable progressive reforms, a booming economy and low unemployment, President Kennedy and his camp think they're going to run away with the election tonight, and send us all to bed early.

"Standing in his way is the longtime Governor of New York, the man who chose the first woman to be on a major party's presidential ticket, the longtime standard bearer of the so-called Eastern Establishment, Nelson A. Rockefeller. At times it's been tough sledding for Rockefeller, with small crowds and even smaller polling numbers, and a candidate running to his right in the form of Barry Goldwater.

"Goldwater's been here before, losing in a landslide to President Johnson in 1964 as the Republican candidate. Tonight, he's the candidate of George Wallace's American Independent Party. Goldwater holds no hopes of winning, explicitly saying his candidacy is to remind the Republican establishment not to forget the conservative wing he represents.

"The time is now 8:00, and we can make our first calls:

"President Kennedy has won the District of Columbia, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan and Ohio. 86 electoral college votes given to President Kennedy immediate after polls closed. Indiana is a Republican-leaning state, but Kennedy is running away with it tonight. Ohio and Michigan are big states, Ohio a true bellwether, but called immediately. Michigan, a Democratic state in most cylces, also called immediately. Rhode Island, Washington DC, Massachusetts and West Virginia are all rock-solid Democratic territory, and no surprise here.

"The surprise is the speed of the calls of those so-called 'rust belt' states. We've thought for a while it might be a quick night, and the first results are not changing that projection."

8:03
"Kennedy has won Connecticut. This was supposed to be a state sympathetic to Rockefeller, and it's called three minutes after polls close. Kennedy is at 94 electoral college votes, 0 for Rockefeller, 0 for Goldwater."

8:21
"Kennedy has carried Kentucky and her nine electoral college votes, putting him at over 100 already."

8:25
"Kennedy has carried Maryland."

8:28
"We have another projection to make, and it's a big one: Pennsylvania and its 27 electoral college votes will go to President Kennedy. He is already over halfway to the magic number of 270...Kennedy 140, Rockefeller 0, Goldwater 0."

8:30
"It's half past eight, and we can call Delaware for the president, Delaware will go to--hold everything, we have a major call to make: New York will go to the President. That brings the President's total to 184 electoral college votes already."

8:34
"We can call Vermont for the President, as well as three of the four electoral college votes in Maine. Maine is splitting their electoral college votes by congressional district, and Rockefeller is doing well in the second district, the old district of his running mate Margaret Chase Smith. Maine's second district is too close to call, Kennedy gets the other two electoral votes. Vermont was also a Nixon state four years ago. Vermont, also, is going Democratic for just the second time in its history...the first time was eight years ago, when Lyndon B. Johnson swept everywhere except the south and Arizona. It's a bloodbath already."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 10:13:29 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

8:38
"The President has won New Hampshire and New Jersey, pushing him up to 203 electoral votes. Neither Rockefeller nor Goldwater have won a state."

9:00
"It's now 9:00 in the east, and we can call Illinois for the President. Illinois was a close state in 1968, called the moment the polls closed tonight. Polls have also closed throughout the rest of the middle west and plains. Kennedy 237, Rockefeller 0, Goldwater 0."

9:04
"It is 9:04 in the east, and we can call the Presidency.

"Robert F. Kennedy has been reelected president of the United States.

"CBS News can project the President has won Virginia, 12 electoral votes, Wisconsin, 11 electoral votes, and Minnesota, 10 electoral votes, putting him at 270. That is the bare minimum needed to be elected President. It was thought to be a short night, and it is a short night. Polls have not even closed in physically half the country, and we have called the presidency. Astonishing."

"No matter what your opinion on President Kennedy is, you cannot say he's been unsuccessful as President. He ended the war in Vietnam, passed major healthcare reform, passed gun rights reform, nominated the first female Supreme Court justice. He's kept most of his promises. That's why he's winning with 61% of the vote tonight. The American people clearly like President Kennedy, and think he deserves a second term."

9:15
"Missouri will go to the President tonight."

9:23
"The President has won North Carolina. That brings him up to 296. Rockefeller 0, Goldwater 0."

9:26
"We can call Florida for the President, bringing him over 300 electoral college votes."

9:31
"The President has won South Dakota, bringing him up to 316 electoral votes."

9:36
"We can call Rockefeller's first victory, Maine's second congressional district. Maine splits its electoral votes by congressional district, and though Kennedy won the first district and the state, netting him three electoral votes, Rockefeller has held on in the second district, netting the Governor one. Rockefeller will not be completely emptyhanded tonight. Kennedy 316, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

9:39
"The President has won Iowa. Kennedy 324, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »

Wow. Quite the blowout.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2017, 08:11:31 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2017, 11:27:04 PM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

9:43
"Alabama will go to the President, with Goldwater having a good showing there. He may finish ahead of Rockefeller. Kennedy 333, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0 -- hold everything, Louisiana also has gone to Kennedy. Kennedy 343, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

9:46
"North Dakota has gone to Kennedy...and Governor Rockefeller is taking the stage to deliver his concession speech."

"Thank you! Thank you. I have some brief remarks.

My friends, we came up short. We knew it'd be difficult, and it was, but we came up short. I just got off the phone with President Kennedy, and I wished him and Ethel and Vice President Bayh and Marvella all the best as they embark on another term as the stewards of this nation's sacred constitution. Their success is America's success, and I wish them all of the success over the next four years. I congratulate them, and all of their millions of supporters nationwide. They've won a tremendous victory, and they deserve to celebrate it.

I want to thank my entire senior campaign staff, my volunteers in all fifty states and the District of Columbia, and of course my running mate, the greatest running mate this country has ever seen, Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine. The defeat tonight is not their failure, it rests solely on my shoulders. But I especially want to thank my wife, Margaretta, and my children, Rodman, Ann, Steven, Mary, Nelson Jr. and Mark, and of course, my one child who's looking down upon us from heaven, Michael. I love you all very, very much.

I also want to thank my party for nominating me for this nation's highest office, and my millions of voters nationwide for their unwavering support. It wasn't always easy, but I will never, ever forget you, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

At this time, we as American people must unite behind our president, Robert Kennedy. Although I am disappointed in being defeated, for both me and my running mate our first defeats, I am confident that President Kennedy will be a righteous and smart captain of the American ship, as he has been for the preceding four years.

My dear friends, Winston Churchill has a quote. Those who know me well know I quote it often, and I quote it again now: 'This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.' I look forward to seeing the rest of the beginning of this great nation with you. Thank you all very much."

"Governor Rockefeller addressing supporters at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City, thanking his wife and children, and running mate Margaret Chase Smith, and offering congratulations to President Kennedy, Vice President Bayh, their families and their supporters. It is now...two minutes to ten. While Governor Rockefeller was speaking, we were able to call Texas for President Kennedy. Texas and its 26 electoral college votes have gone to the President. Kennedy 372, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2017, 11:37:26 PM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

10:01
"We can now call Nebraska for the President. Kennedy 377, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0, though polls have now closed in Goldwater's home state of Arizona.

10:07
"Kansas has gone to the President. Kennedy 384, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

10:14
"Kennedy has won South Carolina. Rockefeller is about 10,000 votes behind him, but Goldwater's pulled 50,000 votes in SC. Goldwater has probably cost Rockefeller the state of South Carolina tonight. Kennedy 392, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

10:17
"Arkansas has gone for Kennedy, another state were Rockefeller did well but Goldwater also did well. Kennedy 398, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

10:20
"What we've said about the last handful of southern states now being called is true here in Mississippi: Kennedy has won, but Rockefeller takes a decent chunk of the vote, while Goldwater also takes a decent chunk of the vote, allowing Kennedy to win. Kennedy is also now up over 400 electoral college votes: Kennedy 405, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

10:24
"We can now call Tennessee for President Kennedy."

10:27
"We can call Montana for the President. Kennedy 420, Rockefeller 1, Goldwater 0."

10:36
"Colorado and its 7 electoral votes has gone to the President. And so has New Mexico and its 4 electoral votes."

10:41
"Governor Rockefeller will win a state; Rockefeller has won Wyoming, rock solid Republican territory here. Kennedy 430, Rockefeller 4, Goldwater 0."

10:45
"Kennedy has won Georgia, another state where Rockefeller and Goldwater split the right-of-center vote, and 12 more electoral votes that Goldwater has cost Rockefeller. Kennedy 442, Rockefeller 4, Goldwater 0."

10:46
"Another state for Rockefeller: Utah and its 4 electoral votes will go to the New York Governor. More rock-solid Republican territory. Kennedy 442, Rockefeller 8, Goldwater 0."

10:48
"Arizona has gone to the President, and we're expecting Goldwater to nip Rockefeller for second here in Arizona. It also appears that Goldwater will not win an electoral vote tonight, Arizona was his last chance I think. Kennedy 448, Rockefeller 8, Goldwater 0."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »

11:00
"It's now eleven in the east, polls have closed in four more states, including the largest, California. We can call one state at this time, the state of Washington will go for President Kennedy. Kennedy 457, Rockefeller 8, Goldwater 0."

11:01
"And we can now call another state. President Kennedy has won Oregon."

11:06
"We can now call Idaho, Idaho has gone to the President. Kennedy 467, Rockefeller 8, Goldwater 0."

11:31
"It's been awhile since we've had a call at the Presidential level, but we can now call the state of Nevada, which has gone for President Kennedy. Kennedy 470, Rockefeller 8, Goldwater 0."

12:41
"Oklahoma is always notoriously slow counting, and it doesn't help when the race is close. But the President has held on in the Sooner State."

12:45
"President Kennedy has won California by some distance over Governor Rockefeller. That brings the President up to 523 electoral college votes. Astonishing. Only Alaska and Hawaii are uncalled at this time. The entire lower 48 have been called."

2:00

"Hawaii has gone to the President, no real surprise. Kennedy 527, Rockefeller 8, Goldwater 0."

2:37
"Alaska has gone to the President, and so ends our election coverage. The Democratic ticket of Robert Francis Kennedy and Birch Evans Bayh has won 48 states, and 530 electoral votes, the Republican ticket of Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller and Margaret Madeleine Chase Smith has won two states and 8 electoral votes, including one from Maine, which splits its electoral votes proportionally. The American Independent ticket of Barry Morris Goldwater and William Edward Miller has won no states and no electoral college votes. The popular vote stands at 42,533,016 votes for Robert Francis Kennedy, good for over 60% of the vote, 24,613,934 for Nelson A. Rockefeller, good for 34% of the vote, and 3,249,701 votes for Barry Goldwater, good for approximately 6 percent of the vote."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 09:22:23 AM by Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020 »

Results of the 1972 United States Presidential Election
Robert Francis Kennedy (D-NY)/Birch Evans Bayh, Jr. (D-IN): 530 Electoral Votes, 50,540,568, 60.04% of the vote
Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller, Sr. (R-NY)/Margaret Madeleine Chase Smith (R-ME): 7 Electoral Votes, 27,160,566, 32.15% of the vote
Barry Morris Goldwater, Sr. (AI-AZ)/William Edward Miller (AI-NY): 1 Electoral Vote*, 5,205,926, 6.18% of the vote
Linda Jenness (Socialist Worker's-GA)/Andrew Pulley (SW-IL): 0 Electoral Votes, 83,380, 0.10% of the vote
Benjamin McLane Spock (People's-CA)/Julius Wilson Hobson (PP-DC): 0 Electoral Votes, 78,759, 0.09% of the vote
Louis Fisher (Socialist Labor-IL)/Genevieve Gunderson (SL-MN): 0 Electoral Votes, 53,814, 0.06% of the vote
Gus Hall (Communist-NY)/Jarvis Tyner (CPUSA-PA): 0 Electoral Votes, 25,598, 0.03% of the vote
Evelyn Reed (Dissident Socialist Workers-NY)/Clifton DeBerry (DSW-IL): 0 Electoral Votes, 13,878, 0.01% of the vote
Earle Harold Munn (Prohibition-MI)/Marshall Uncapher (P-KS): 0 Electoral Votes, 13,497, 0.01% of the vote

*Goldwater's electoral vote is from a Wyoming faithless elector
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »

What a landslide! I wonder how many congressmen and senators were elected on Kennedys coattails?.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »

What a landslide! I wonder how many congressmen and senators were elected on Kennedys coattails?.
It could be a “lonely victory” a la Nixon, but I doubt it.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »

By this point, the Democrats already have so many Congressmen and Senators I doubt Kennedy's landslide will have much of an impact.
Duke of York

« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »

I am absolutely loving this timeline. The way its presented is so unique too. I wish this was the universe we live in.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2017, 01:20:42 PM »

I am absolutely loving this timeline. The way its presented is so unique too. I wish this was the universe we live in.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2017, 02:52:16 AM by MillennialMAModerate »

I truly believe JFK would've won 400+ Ev's in '64... and if RFK had ran, I could see him winning a similar victory in '68 or '72. I too wish this timeline was what actually happened. I really do. We'd be far better off for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies