Transgenderism and Transhumanism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:09:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Transgenderism and Transhumanism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Transgenderism and Transhumanism
Support both

Support Transgenderism, Oppose Transhumanism

Oppose Transgenderism, Support Transhumanism

Oppose both

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Transgenderism and Transhumanism  (Read 5065 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 01:29:24 AM »

Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »

Depends on what you mean by support.

I support research into transhumanism. I support an individuals right to volunteer for such research or have access to the results of such research. I am not sure I am not in favor of selective breeding though.

That human modification thing is messed up but I have no legal objections to people being idiots.

Transgenderism... well I do not really agree with it but I am not going to stand in the way of someone's happiness as long as it doesnt violate other's rights. That is if you want to go around saying youre the opposite sex, taking horomone drugs, having a surgery, etc and that will make you happy then go for it. And I am even willing to refer to you by the pronoun you are more comfortable with. But I do not support individuals of one biology using bathrooms or showers of the opposite sex. Stalled bathrooms I have less issue with but certainly any more exposed places I strongly object. So I cannot say I fully support the movement. I am all for single occupancy bathroom or showers though and would prefer them anyway as I dislike undressing in front of others anyway.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/technology/godlike-homo-deus-could-replace-humans-tech-evolves-n757971

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2017, 06:32:52 AM »

And why should we celebrate this? Those that embrace tomorrow with open arms may somehow survive this trainwreck semi-intact, but many billions will be ground under its tank treads.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 06:53:18 AM »

And why should we celebrate this? Those that embrace tomorrow with open arms may somehow survive this trainwreck semi-intact, but many billions will be ground under its tank treads.

How exactly do you stop the future from occuring?

Reminds me of that South Park episode about the "Goobacks".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 06:56:35 AM »

How exactly do you stop the future from occurring?

The same way you solve any other social problem (linear time is simply a human construction, after all).
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »

Transhumanism is ridiculous and disgusting.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »

Did I say we should celebrate it? I'm against transhumanism.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »

The same way you solve any other social problem (linear time is simply a human construction, after all).

Regulate it to minimize its negative effects and try to maximize its benefits?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 02:06:40 PM »

Determine the social factors by which it is allowed to occur, identify ways to mitigate or outright stop them, and select the method that has the least externalities.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »

Determine the social factors by which it is allowed to occur, identify ways to mitigate or outright stop them, and select the method that has the least externalities.

But why not try to turn it into a force for good? The main problem with it is inequality of access, which is a part of our current system, not the technology.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »

But why not try to turn it into a force for good? The main problem with it is inequality of access, which is a part of our current system, not the technology.

You misunderstand my intention, which is to freeze time.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »

This.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »

This.

The technology is hideous and dehumanizing. I would not be surprised should we experience an epidemic of suicides as we approach fully-automated luxury communism. Once the world is our, what purpose does it, or we, have?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2017, 04:08:51 PM by The Gianforte Covfefe »

This.

The technology is hideous and dehumanizing. I would not be surprised should we experience an epidemic of suicides as we approach fully-automated luxury communism. Once the world is our, what purpose does it, or we, have?

I believe the Government can help us get the hand up we need and enable us to pursue our happiness but not make us happy or live our lives for us.
That's our responsibility as human beings in a free society. To find meaning in life. Things maybe were easier in the 17th century or even in rural India today with your family doing it for you but you can't just create a maximiun technology level for "us" to exist at. My guess is that this is why we don't have the Qing, Hapsburgs, Romanovs, or Ottomans anymore.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »

This.

I believe the Government can help us get the hand up we need and enable us to pursue our happiness but not make us happy or live our lives for us.
That's our responsibility as human beings in a free society. To find meaning in life. Things maybe were easier in the 17th century or even in rural India today with your family doing it for you but you can't just create a maximiun technology level for "us" to exist at. My guess is that this is why we don't have the Qing, Hapsburgs, Romanovs, or Ottomans anymore.

All of this is, of course, acceptable, and in no way related to the oncoming bout of severe mental derangement our species will face if adding cybernetic "improvements" ever becomes available. Given the way technologies are able to both consume and be consumed by the masses with the means to achieve them, this is treading on dangerous territory. To think nothing of the greatly magnified surveillance capabilities!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2017, 08:05:38 PM »

This.

In the transhuman debate, inequality of access is NOT the biggest issue.

The biggest issue is the inherent morality of transhumanism. As I summarized on the previous page:

1. "Human" rights... if we'd still have equal rights, if they should inherently have "more" rights, etc. And ones that go wrong could be given "subhuman" status. Corporations/Governments could even intentionally create a right-less "subhuman" class to work as slaves.

2. Fairness... what happens if Transhumans become so intelligent they think and communicate faster than it takes for one of us to form a short sentence or send a text... normal humans being "left behind" and feeling and being treated like we are all mentally retarded. Not only be left behind... a Transhumanist dictator could come along too.

3. Loss of something essential, "lost in translation," that we might not even understand at first. Perhaps we really do all have something similar to an immortal soul, but something transhumanist is done that causes it to be lost forever? Or without getting into souls... perhaps a change done unknowingly and unintentionally makes us lose an essential part of our personalities/memories and how we think/feel?

I welcome technology to make us live longer and healthier, eliminating genetic diseases and other diseases and old age, healing scars and regrowing lost body parts, nanotech assisting white blood cells. Even with parents picking some of their children's traits, and cybernetic gadgets that can be put on and off and aren't part of the body like an iWatch or those eyeglasses. I don't consider those things "transhumanism."

The problem is those trying to become something other than human. Whether through genetics or cybernetics or drugs. THAT is "transhumanism."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies