Elections and politics in Hong Kong: megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:25:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Elections and politics in Hong Kong: megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elections and politics in Hong Kong: megathread  (Read 18349 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 19, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »

I don't see how any poll taken in Hong Kong right now on can be considered accurate.  There are bound to be far too many people afraid to speak their mind if they have an opinion not in accord with the Beijing authorities for it to be accurate. I certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to think my response would remain anonymous if the Beijing authorities wanted to know it. That said, there's little point in voting opposite to Beijing's wishes right now as it won't accomplish anything, so Beijing's sycophants will likely do better than they have in past elections. Unfortunately, those in Hong Kong who are pro-China but anti-CPC have no desirable options right now.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:11:06 AM »

I don't see how any poll taken in Hong Kong right now on can be considered accurate.  There are bound to be far too many people afraid to speak their mind if they have an opinion not in accord with the Beijing authorities for it to be accurate. I certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to think my response would remain anonymous if the Beijing authorities wanted to know it. That said, there's little point in voting opposite to Beijing's wishes right now as it won't accomplish anything, so Beijing's sycophants will likely do better than they have in past elections. Unfortunately, those in Hong Kong who are pro-China but anti-CPC have no desirable options right now.

You make a good point.  On the other hand Hong Kong Public Opinion Research Institute is pretty much as Anti-Establishment as they come.  HK-PORI was very aligned with the Democratic Bloc for years and was used by the  Democratic Bloc to do polling in the 2016 LogCo elections to help them with tactical voting instructions as it became apparent that the Anti-Establishment blocs have over-nominated.  The HK-PORI polls done in close cooperation with the Democratic bloc parties saved them from losing seats to the Establishment bloc through vote splitting. 

Even if people trust HK-PORI, under the current circumstances is it reasonable to trust that someone calling you and saying they are polling for HK-PORI actually is? The main reason for distrusting the accuracy of Hong Kong polling is not any belief that the polling organization is cooking the results. It's that under current conditions people can't be trusted to give honest answers to pollsters.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 07:53:10 PM »

Shouldn't this thread be renamed the "Hong Kong Electoral-type event megathread"?  You know things have gotten bad when Russian elections have more legitimacy than what's going on in Hong Kong these days.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies