S1: Act to revise Bill 2's 'revision to the rules of the chamber of delegates'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:01:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S1: Act to revise Bill 2's 'revision to the rules of the chamber of delegates'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: S1: Act to revise Bill 2's 'revision to the rules of the chamber of delegates'  (Read 9098 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »

AYE
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2017, 05:44:41 PM »

I vote 'aye.'
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 01:42:52 AM »

Nay
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »

With 2 votes in favor and 3 against, subamendment 2 fails.

Let's move on to subamendment 3:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This clause shall be struck, and amended to the following. "Ballots cast shall follow the same rules for validity as under the Federal voting laws of atlasia."[/quote]

Discuss!
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »

I say we move to a final vote on this amendment.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »

I say we move to a final vote on this amendment.

There hasn't even been any discussion....?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »

I may have jumped the gun a bit, though there's been none and it's been almost 24 hrs.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2017, 12:44:24 PM »

Due to post requirements (in proximity to the election, in terms of time), I say we should maintain current Southern voting law.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »

Due to post requirements (in proximity to the election, in terms of time), I say we should maintain current Southern voting law.
This is about Speakership elections for the Chamber. In March we had an issue involving a vote not being counted (clearly for political reasons in my view.)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »

This is about Speakership elections for the Chamber. In March we had an issue involving a vote not being counted (clearly for political reasons in my view.)
Ok, thanks for the clarification.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Should be clarified here, the vote wasn't counted because of how long it had been after it was edited.

I made an edit to my vote 5 hours after I cast it. Something I admit was my mistake, but entirely justifiable for why that vote couldn't be counted. That move was also supported by another laborite (Peebs). So it wasn't entirely partisan.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »

If we're going that method, wouldn't fhtagn, who edited her ballot nearly five hours after it was cast, have her vote invalidated as well? And besides, where does it say that a ballot is invalidated after 10 minutes anyway? If anything, it would be 15 minutes as is the norm with both federal and Southern elections (read: the ones I run Tongue), which would only invalidate fhtagn's vote.

The reasoning for this subamendment is to clarify how long after a ballot is cast is acceptable to edit. I fully agree (and accept responsibility for my error) that 5 hours past when I cast my ballot, even if it was to fix a typo, was unacceptable. While it may not have broken a specific rule. I do feel that adopting the rule that cuts off edits at 15 minutes is a good idea.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »

If we're going that method, wouldn't fhtagn, who edited her ballot nearly five hours after it was cast, have her vote invalidated as well? And besides, where does it say that a ballot is invalidated after 10 minutes anyway? If anything, it would be 15 minutes as is the norm with both federal and Southern elections (read: the ones I run Tongue), which would only invalidate fhtagn's vote.

The reasoning for this subamendment is to clarify how long after a ballot is cast is acceptable to edit. I fully agree (and accept responsibility for my error) that 5 hours past when I cast my ballot, even if it was to fix a typo, was unacceptable. While it may not have broken a specific rule. I do feel that adopting the rule that cuts off edits at 15 minutes is a good idea.
I concur. Certainly ballot-editing should be held to a minimum. 15 minutes is a good cut-off.
We should look over our ballots thoroughly before casting them.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2017, 01:55:33 PM »

I just don't see it as necessary. I'm a NAY vote unless someone can convince me that there's a good reason.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »

I mean this is an election for Speaker, not for a Federal Election, they should obviously have different rules. The rules set a pretty clear standard and are specific to our Chamber. I see no reason to change them.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »

I just don't see it as necessary. I'm a NAY vote unless someone can convince me that there's a good reason.

But of course the person who was bitter about losing out on becoming Speaker over ballot edits has an issue with placing a time limit on them. At least be truthful about why you don't support the subamendment.

I mean this is an election for Speaker, not for a Federal Election, they should obviously have different rules. The rules set a pretty clear standard and are specific to our Chamber. I see no reason to change them.

This is regarding ballot edits, though. It's not something outrageous that makes things difficult for things to get done or is asking too much of those voting. In fact, this subamendment makes things more clear as it is an acceptable rule for all of Atlasia.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »

But of course the person who was bitter about losing out on becoming Speaker over ballot edits has an issue with placing a time limit on them. At least be truthful about why you don't support the subamendment.

This is regarding ballot edits, though. It's not something outrageous that makes things difficult for things to get done or is asking too much of those voting. In fact, this subamendment makes things more clear as it is an acceptable rule for all of Atlasia.

I'd have to agree. Certainly things are simpler when we can follow a national example.
I don't have objections to the amendment because in general, the issue at hand is pretty benign and the amendment just provides for more clarity and simplicity regarding the voting rules of the Chamber by being able to refer to the national (all-encompassing) voting law, and making those same regulations and conditions applicable to in-Chamber votes.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »

> Thinks I care about something that happened 3 months ago in a game

All the amendment does is adding unnecessary rules to have a valid vote. I ask again, why?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »

All the amendment does is adding unnecessary rules to have a valid vote. I ask again, why?

So you think by making our voting guidelines the same as Federal is unnecessary?
How is limiting ballot edits to within 15 minutes unnecessary? Please explain.

You seem so against something that the rest of Atlasia has no issue with (including members of your own party).
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »

So you think by making our voting guidelines the same as Federal is unnecessary?
why is it my responsibility to convince that it's unnecessary? Isn't the burden of proof on the person claiming there should be a rule/restriction?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »

why is it my responsibility to convince that it's unnecessary? Isn't the burden of proof on the person claiming there should be a rule/restriction?

I have given an explanation for why the amendment was proposed, as well as explained why it was a good idea to follow Federal election guidelines. West_Midlander also agreed with that statement and further explained why it is a good idea.

Now, I highly suggest actually taking the time to think of your reasoning why it is so bad to implement a 15 minute rule that EVERYONE ELSE in Atlasia follows, and coming back when you can be an adult and use your words.

Stomping your feet and crying "well I don't like it" has never gotten anyone very far.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2017, 11:20:34 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 11:22:58 PM by Delegate JustinTimeCuber »

I have given an explanation for why the amendment was proposed, as well as explained why it was a good idea to follow Federal election guidelines. West_Midlander also agreed with that statement and further explained why it is a good idea.

Now, I highly suggest actually taking the time to think of your reasoning why it is so bad to implement a 15 minute rule that EVERYONE ELSE in Atlasia follows, and coming back when you can be an adult and use your words.

Stomping your feet and crying "well I don't like it" has never gotten anyone very far.
Everyone else meaning much bigger, public elections though. I'm not even saying it's SO BAD (or sick), I just want a concrete reason that it's necessary.

E: no idea what a pubic election is
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

As there has been no other discussion, I will now bring this to a 48 hour vote on subamendment 3.

for clarification, an "AYE" vote will strike the clause and allow us to adopt the federal voting guidelines. A "NAY" vote would keep the clause, as written:
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »

Abstain
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »