Arkansas pastor running as Progressive Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 08:14:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arkansas pastor running as Progressive Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Arkansas pastor running as Progressive Republican  (Read 3639 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
« edited: May 23, 2017, 12:30:31 AM by JA »

MEET THE PASTOR RUNNING AS A PROGRESSIVE REPUBLICAN TO GET BIG MONEY OUT OF POLITICS

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pastor Ryerse supports a public option for healthcare, refuses to accept corporate or PAC money, supports investment in clean energy, believes in global climate change, supports gun rights, and is pro-life, but believes reducing abortion should be pursued through expansion of health coverage, education, and poverty reduction.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:19:27 AM »

The one thing that might scare the Democratic establishment more than progressives taking over the Democratic party is progressives taking over the Republican party.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:20:52 AM »

The one thing that might scare the Democratic establishment more than progressives taking over the Democratic party is progressives taking over the Republican party.
Roseanne Barr certainly has been pushing that.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:23:08 AM »

I don't know about progressive, but a more moderate Republican Party powered by the handful of Millennials the GOP has does scare me in regards to the future. The GOP won't be like this forever. Eventually the old people driving it into the ground will be outnumbered, even if that takes decades to come to fruition.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:31:18 AM »

The good part about him - https://brandnewcongress.org/Candidates/robb-ryerse

Since its inception, our goal has been clear: we welcome all people. LGBT and folks from all backgrounds, creeds and colors. Even skeptics are encouraged to join us. We recently joined a group called OPEN, which is an alliance of progressive-leaning churches that embrace our view of Christianity. We are committed to lending a hand to anyone who needs it including aiding the resettlement of refugees in our district, something our current congressmen tried to shut down. From the Gospel of Luke, we learn, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” My oldest is about to head off to college. Vanessa and I are nervously eyeing college tuition bills -- something we haven’t faced since we were in school. It’s easy to see why the cost of college keeps people up at night, and it’s disgraceful of today’s Congressional leaders to ignore the obstacles faced by working families.

Brand New Congress has some amazing candidates but still Adrien Bell IMO is the best - An African American women from a very poor uneducated family who became an early single mother, worked dozens of jobs & then finally graduated with her son.

Then she went on to do a Masters & is now pursuing a Ph.d & is a grandmother, long time Democratic activist & party organizer ! Too bad she is in a 60/40 Republican Texas District !

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 12:39:44 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2017, 12:41:37 AM by Senator Scott »

Since its inception, our goal has been clear: we welcome all people. LGBT and folks from all backgrounds, creeds and colors. Even skeptics are encouraged to join us. We recently joined a group called OPEN, which is an alliance of progressive-leaning churches that embrace our view of Christianity. We are committed to lending a hand to anyone who needs it including aiding the resettlement of refugees in our district, something our current congressmen tried to shut down. From the Gospel of Luke, we learn, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” My oldest is about to head off to college. Vanessa and I are nervously eyeing college tuition bills -- something we haven’t faced since we were in school. It’s easy to see why the cost of college keeps people up at night, and it’s disgraceful of today’s Congressional leaders to ignore the obstacles faced by working families.

Brand New Congress has some amazing candidates but still Adrien Bell IMO is the best - An African American women from a very poor uneducated family who became an early single mother, worked dozens of jobs & then finally graduated with her son.

Then she went on to do a Masters & is now pursuing a Ph.d & is a grandmother, long time Democratic activist & party organizer ! Too bad she is in a 60/40 Republican Texas District !

This guy is awesome.

Shame he has no chance. Sad
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:57:45 AM »

This guy is awesome.

The best candidates are coming in impossible seats. FL-27 is an open seat in 2018 but the Dem candidate seemed like an average speaker, boring & Democratic hack ! That could have been an easy pick-up with a good candidate & campaign.

These things work out in weird ways !
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »

This guy is awesome.

The best candidates are coming in impossible seats. FL-27 is an open seat in 2018 but the Dem candidate seemed like an average speaker, boring & Democratic hack ! That could have been an easy pick-up with a good candidate & campaign.

These things work out in weird ways !

But he's not even running as a Democrat.  He's running as a Republican because that's the only way to get elected from this district.  Republicans wouldn't get rid of Womack, especially for a progressive.
Angrie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 01:45:02 AM »

So basically, he is a Republican in the same way that Sheriff Clarke is a Democrat.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 01:47:36 AM »

This is dumbest statement I've read today.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:22 AM »

I don't know about progressive, but a more moderate Republican Party powered by the handful of Millennials the GOP has does scare me in regards to the future. The GOP won't be like this forever. Eventually the old people driving it into the ground will be outnumbered, even if that takes decades to come to fruition.

Well, progressives don't owe Democrats anything, and if they make it too hard for progressives, you'll see more elections like this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Montana,_2008
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 02:25:31 AM »

So basically, he is a Republican in the same way that Sheriff Clarke is a Democrat.

It's an interesting experiment though, no? Imagine if he somehow won the primary and cruised to being elected simply based on party affiliation. It'd be the most hilarious condemnation of the American democratic process ever.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:14 AM »

Endorsed, even though he has no chance. Its a nice thought that he's actually trying though.
Angrie

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 02:52:20 AM »

It's an interesting experiment though, no? Imagine if he somehow won the primary and cruised to being elected simply based on party affiliation. It'd be the most hilarious condemnation of the American democratic process ever.

Well, isn't that basically what Clarke did in Milwaukee?...

The best thing would be if both this Ryerse guy and Clarke win the 2020 Republican and Democratic presidential nominations, respectively. Then Ryerse carries all the GOP states and Clarke carries all the Dem states.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 04:54:08 AM »

Money out of politics is the single biggest issue for me, and I honestly don't care what the party is if you can vow that you will push for that when elected.

Endorsed.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »

Sounds...ok. I disagree with him on some issues, but other than that, he doesn't seem too bad.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »

Money out of politics is the single biggest issue for me, and I honestly don't care what the party is if you can vow that you will push for that when elected.

Endorsed.
kyc0705

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 07:50:07 AM »

Endorsed.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.47

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »

Endorsed.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »

Party over country, huh?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »

Seems like a cool guy, who appears genuinely inspired by his faith
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »

This seems, to me, to be undeniable, and yet it rarely plays into people's realignment predictions on this site.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »

This seems, to me, to be undeniable, and yet it rarely plays into people's realignment predictions on this site.
Yeah, everyone always thinks Republicans are going to be some 100% white, old, hardcore conservative party when evidence shows young Republicans will make the party more moderate.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 09:47:26 AM »

I don't think so. I just believe Republican ideas, the ones right now anyhow, are crap. It's been nothing but crap for over a generation now and has only made things worse, and I want Democrats to have their own generation to implement their ideas. My statement was more about how eventually Democratic ideas will stop working, and Democrats will refuse to change their policy ideas to work with a new system, just like Republicans are doing now with their own ideas. In this scenario, a more moderate GOP should be able to regain power. I'd hate for a situation to present itself where Republicans clawed back power sooner than expected and started with crap ideas all over again.

Ideally, they'd find themselves out of power long enough where either they change their policy agenda or the system itself shifts far enough in a direction where their ideas are viable again.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

A moderate Republican, maybe. A progressive, no.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies