MI-MRG: Schuette leads GOP primary, close race among Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:59:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI-MRG: Schuette leads GOP primary, close race among Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-MRG: Schuette leads GOP primary, close race among Democrats  (Read 1772 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »

Link.
Link.

Democratic Primary:

Fieger 26%
Whitmer 24%
El-Sayed 9%
Undecided 41%

Republican Primary:

Schuette 32%
Calley 11%
Hines 7%
Undecided 50%

Michigan polls are notoriously junk, but yeah. Fieger, Schuette, and Calley haven't actually declared yet either.

Nominating Fieger seems like a good way to lose this election for Democrats. MI Dems, please do the right thing and elect Whitmer.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »

How the hell is a clown like Geoffrey Fieger in first place?!

I'd laugh so hard if he won the nomination, but I don't see it happening.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »

MRG has a C+ from 538, for what it's worth.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Imagine if Geoffrey Fieger became Governor of Michigan.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:17:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure Whitmer prevails, although the Sanders wing seems to be lining up behind Abdul El-Sayeed. In an anti-Trump wave combined with Bill Schuette's record as a right-wing extremist, I think Dems win with 52-54% of the vote.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »

MI and OH are bellweathers, if Dems have a good night Betty Sutton and MI should go the Dems way
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »

Local NPR Michigan Radio segments regularly mentions Schuette of course who seems to be using the Flint crisis and his power as AG to distance himself from Snyder. While Lt. Gov Calley is building his campaign brand insidiously.

No mention of Fieger or El-Sayeed in the Free Press - perhaps because they were not at this event which I believe trends to the establishment candidates.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/06/03/2018-governors-race-bubbles-below-surface-mackinac/85285884/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

UncleSam

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

I live in one of the liberal bastions of the state and I've seen numerous Whitmer boer stickers / signs, like almost as many as I saw for Clinton honestly even with the race this far out. IMO Whitmer is clearly the best shot at firing up D's I'm suburban / metro Detroit.

Still think this will be lean R on Election Day though, Whitmer or any other Democrat will really have to hack up turnout massively in southeast Michigan to win.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »

I live in one of the liberal bastions of the state and I've seen numerous Whitmer boer stickers / signs, like almost as many as I saw for Clinton honestly even with the race this far out. IMO Whitmer is clearly the best shot at firing up D's I'm suburban / metro Detroit.

Still think this will be lean R on Election Day though, Whitmer or any other Democrat will really have to hack up turnout massively in southeast Michigan to win.

In Oakland / Wayne County I-275/I-96 corridor I saw mostly Trump and Bernie items. Ann Arbor or Ferndale or some other areas of Detroit itself maybe you'd see more for her but her it was in my personal experience very limited for Clinton. I had a feeling that she would lose her in the general with her loss to Bernie in the primary and given Trump & Bernie campaigned strongly here whereas her first visit was to meet rich government max level donors in a mansion in St. Claire Shoes. She only really came back in force at the very end and needed the President or was it Michelle Obama to be there to get a big crowd. I figured she would lose even though her voters were not the 'wear it on their sleeves' type and what do you know she did.

Wayne, Ingham, Genesee, and Washtenaw counties should go for the Democratic candidate in the Gubernatorial race. The question is how she/he fares in places like Macomb, Livingston, & Monroe which went Trump, and the rest of Lower MI. If the Oakland vote is not a slam dunk for the Dems it could be a GOP win.

The LP still has not announced a formal candidate for governor or US senate here. They are big time positions and personally the down ballot stuff seems more likely to make an impact given the money that I think will pour into the state on both sides given the high profile of Snyder's Flint crisis and that Michigan was a state that Clinton thought was a given. It is a key one for the Democrats to regain to help in the race for the US House via redistricting.

I am sure the establishment will get behind whoever Jen Granholm says is good. Not sure if that would be the most energizing option for their party but she is well-known if not particularly well-loved by non-Democrats or progressives. Likewise, if they are closer in spirit to Debbie Dingell who had the ear of Clinton during the campaign to the point of badmouthing Toyota on fixing exchange rates when Toyota is a growing employer in the state of Michigan (not her district though) then I would be wary of that candidate on the state level. Debbie Stabenow for me seems the more reasonable of the two Senators - relatively speaking - so if she is not so committed to the candidate and Peters is then I would again be very wary of the prospects of the Democrat.

What is your take on Whitmer?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »

Imagine if Geoffrey Fieger became Governor of Michigan.

Couldn't possibly be any worse than President Trump.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »

Candice Miller is likely running. I wonder why she wasn't polled?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »

She just got a new job as Macomb County public works commissioner. Why would she immediately run for governor?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 09:57:08 PM »

She just got a new job as Macomb County public works commissioner. Why would she immediately run for governor?

why would you drop from Michigan Secretary of State to Congress to Macomb county public works comissioner? nobody knows how Candice Miller's mind works.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »

I'm guessing (and hoping) that the Flint crisis had made enough voters too wary of the members of Snyder's administration to elect Schuette, especially when in you add in the anti-Trump factor. I see Whitmer winning the nomination at the end of the day, and would give her 60% odds against Schuette on Election Day.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Whitmer will nominate El-Sayed as her running mate. If she doesn't, the Bernie wing will sit home on Election Day to elect Scheutte to punish her for not picking a true believer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies