State Legislature Special Election Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:04:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislature Special Election Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 84
Author Topic: State Legislature Special Election Mega Thread  (Read 178461 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: February 14, 2018, 03:27:17 AM »

I think the pattern is clearer and clearer with every election.
Suburban, center-right districts are extremely vulnerable for Republicans. Rural, hardcore conservative ones, are still holding strong.

It's obvious that the deplorables are still fervently supporting Trump, but affluent, well educated suburbanites who voted for him reluctantly out of Clinton hatred/party loyalty are quite tired and disgusted by the circus that is his presidency.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1651 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27:21 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2018, 08:28:52 AM by OneJ_ »

It is tiring to see the massive Republican over-performance in Connecticut special elections. It makes no sense that Republicans there are over-performing their 2016 numbers, when they are under-performing everywhere else.

It does make sense when you realize just how unpopular Malloy is among people who actually live in Connecticut.

Trump is more unpopular in CT, though.

And yeah, Belcher will win.

Yeah... but Trump isn't on the ballot in a local election. People are able to distance local politics from national politics.

To be fair, Virginia last year was largely considered a referendum on Trump and we all know how that went.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1652 on: February 14, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »

Suburban, center-right districts are extremely vulnerable for Republicans. Rural, hardcore conservative ones, are still holding strong.

It's obvious that the deplorables are still fervently supporting Trump, but affluent, well educated suburbanites who voted for him reluctantly out of Clinton hatred/party loyalty are quite tired and disgusted by the circus that is his presidency.

It's also apparent that a lot of the Clinton/down ballot GOP voters are sticking with Democrats now as the Republican Party is increasingly becoming the Party of Trump.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1653 on: February 14, 2018, 08:31:22 PM »

It's also apparent that a lot of the Clinton/down ballot GOP voters are sticking with Democrats now as the Republican Party is increasingly becoming the Party of Trump.

These people are the type that would have came back and voted Republican again if Trump lost.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1654 on: February 14, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »

Yet Democrats are getting Obama like margins in Obama->Trump districts.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1655 on: February 14, 2018, 09:25:26 PM »

Mother Jones is trying to downplay the special elections for some reason... their article contradicts their title.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/02/special-elections-suggest-democrats-momentum-might-be-slowing/
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1656 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:08 PM »

Mother Jones is trying to downplay the special elections for some reason... their article contradicts their title.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/02/special-elections-suggest-democrats-momentum-might-be-slowing/

Absolute garbage title. Shameful.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1657 on: February 14, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »

My issue with this is the author used selective comparisons that were made solely because it bolstered her point of view:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She is acting like a 31 point swing is the new normal, and anything less represents a narrowing environment. I think the average swing in legislative special elections was like D+9 to D+11 (obviously it changes from time to time). So of course her argument looks more credible if she compares it to the biggest recent swing-win. That being said, wasn't the FL race a D+12 swing? I recall seeing someone say that the other night. If so, that race certainly does not represent a slowing down of the wave.

Then this:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a shift of 32 points to the Democrat? She only subtracted 68 from 84. She didn't add the percentage from Clinton's vote share to the Democratic candidate's vote share.

-

Honestly, this article sucks. She makes a bold claim and then provides misleading evidence that actually contradicts her claim when corrected.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1658 on: February 15, 2018, 04:58:58 PM »

My issue with this is the author used selective comparisons that were made solely because it bolstered her point of view:

She is acting like a 31 point swing is the new normal, and anything less represents a narrowing environment. I think the average swing in legislative special elections was like D+9 to D+11 (obviously it changes from time to time). So of course her argument looks more credible if she compares it to the biggest recent swing-win. That being said, wasn't the FL race a D+12 swing? I recall seeing someone say that the other night. If so, that race certainly does not represent a slowing down of the wave.

Then this:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a shift of 32 points to the Democrat? She only subtracted 68 from 84. She didn't add the percentage from Clinton's vote share to the Democratic candidate's vote share.

-

Honestly, this article sucks. She makes a bold claim and then provides misleading evidence that actually contradicts her claim when corrected.

Semantics over definition of "shift" basically. Or "shift" vs. "swing". I know in the UK "swing" would be "only" 16 points there based on the formula they use.

Still quite a misleading conclusion.
UncleSam

« Reply #1659 on: February 16, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »

It's a Mother Jones article, of course it's garbage. Someone from the DnC probably called them up and said weare seeing less concern and panic then we'd like in advance if the midterns, let's try and get the base riledupsome more.

So this article appears to fill that request. It's just propaganda - and bad propaganda at that. There is zero evidence to back up the claims made.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1660 on: February 16, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »

It's a Mother Jones article, of course it's garbage. Someone from the DnC probably called them up and said weare seeing less concern and panic then we'd like in advance if the midterns, let's try and get the base riledupsome more.

So this article appears to fill that request. It's just propaganda - and bad propaganda at that. There is zero evidence to back up the claims made.

It's pretty subjective content,  not like you can say definitively specials do or don't show what'll happen in the midterms.

Besides I find Mother Jones pretty reputable most of the time.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1661 on: February 17, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god.

https://twitter.com/ScottPresler/status/964936185394147329

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1662 on: February 17, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »

This guy is the future of the gop, folks.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1663 on: February 17, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »

Let the guy do what he wants. Your obsession with him and what he posts is kinda creepy.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1664 on: February 17, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »

Wait lmao is that dude wearing leggings!?!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1665 on: February 17, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »

He has a very feminine silhouette.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1666 on: February 17, 2018, 04:59:53 PM »

He’s gay.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1667 on: February 17, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »

Yea those tight jeans are a massive WTF
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1668 on: February 17, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2018, 05:26:10 PM by peenie_weenie »

Let the guy do what he wants. Your obsession with him and what he posts is kinda creepy.

Wait what

That intersection is literally a mile and a half from my Dad's house

I drove by that intersection every day to go to school for six years and go running there whenever I visit home

what
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1669 on: February 17, 2018, 05:38:37 PM »

Wait what

That intersection is literally a mile and a half from my Dad's house

I drove by that intersection every day to go to school for six years and go running there whenever I visit home

what

lmao y'all should be friends
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1670 on: February 17, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »

If he is gay he'd do even worse in AL than Moore.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1671 on: February 17, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

Polls close at 9 ET tonight in LA HD 86. Results at:

https://voterportal.sos.la.gov/Graphical
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1672 on: February 17, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »

Oh yeah, there's a special in Louisiana.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1673 on: February 17, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »

Yikes. Democrat getting 7% in the early vote.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1674 on: February 17, 2018, 09:11:57 PM »

Scott Presler is a fu***** moron. More than 95% of the candidates he supports don't believe that as a gay man he doesn't have a right to exist.

His videos also make me cringe.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies