Weiner pleads guilty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 07:31:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Weiner pleads guilty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Weiner pleads guilty  (Read 1327 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2017/05/19/weiner-to-plead-guilty-to-sexting-charges-112188

I think it's fair to say not many have hated Weiner on this forum more than me... ever since the day he lied about the Breitbart story about his initial tweets.

However, this last thing he did, which was the most consequential, was also the least bad. Unlike his unsolicited tweets, this was consensual. The girl did not want to press charges. So that makes him on the same level of Brigette Macron. Should Brigette Macron be locked up? No. Of course what he did was political malpractice, he should have known better, but on its own merits this is a little absurd. A guy who rapes children is a criminal and sex offender, and so is a guy who has consensual sexually charged conversations with a 15 year old? As if 15 year olds these days are innocent with no knowledge of sex. It is a patronizing and prudish attitude, IMO.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:04:27 PM »

What he did was wrong. He has serious problems, so I do feel sorry for him, but it is outrageous to say that punishing him for his behavior is "prudish".
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

How old was Weiner at the time? Did he break the half plus seven rule?
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »

What he did was wrong. He has serious problems, so I do feel sorry for him, but it is outrageous to say that punishing him for his behavior is "prudish".

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »

It's sad, but he is sick. He almost was NYC mayor before this decade (2010s) destroyed his political career and his life.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/nyregion/anthony-weiner-guilty-plea-sexting.html
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »

And his hot wife just filed for divorce.  Hahahahahaha.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »

Sounds like he knows he is sick. Hopefully he can get the necessary help now.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »

Yes, he takes responsibility for what he did, which is admirable. However, deep inside me I don't think there is a cure for this type of stuff. That's why having him register as a sex offender is a good idea. I'm sure down the road we're going to hear about Weiner doing something else to get himself in trouble. Unfortunately.

Good for Huma that she is bailing on this troubled man.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »

I almost never agree with Santander, but I absolutely do on this.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »

Just another slug who talks like he wants to go around grabbing women by the pussy.
Scum of the Earth.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 05:50:03 AM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »

He should receive a pardon. Only such would be fair.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »

Liberals and conservatives generally are in concurrence on the misdeeds of liberals in public life or in deeds outside politics (like sex offenses and suspect philandering) that discredit people.

Weiner has problems that should have kept him from contemplating a political career. It allows little privacy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »

kyc0705

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »

Agreed. I've never had reason to believe that Weiner is an inherently malicious person. He is someone who has long been in need of help, and hopefully he can find that now.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »

Of course what he did was political malpractice, he should have known better, but on its own merits this is a little absurd. A guy who rapes children is a criminal and sex offender, and so is a guy who has consensual sexually charged conversations with a 15 year old? As if 15 year olds these days are innocent with no knowledge of sex. It is a patronizing and prudish attitude, IMO.

Can someone explain to me how this idiot is still a moderator? Wow.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 11:00:20 AM »

Having been a substitute teacher, I know enough to avoid any sexual innuendo in the presence of teenagers. It is easy for one to forget that one has an age difference in excess of forty years when one is still mobile and still has testosterone surging through the system... but one must remember that. I do not expect teenagers to show adult judgment about adult sexuality.

I also recognize that I could never keep up with youth culture. I also realize that I have been a cultural dinosaur since I was 25 or so.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »

My anti-Weiner credentials are impeccable. I was against him as a fake of poor character when most of the Forum was still supporting him for office. Even a few days ago I was calling people out for supporting him.

At what age does it become acceptable to sext? If it's 1 day before the girl's or boy's 18th birthday, it's outrageous and the adult should be arrested by the FBI and thrown into jail, but if it's 1 day after it's just a nice romance?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

Yes, he takes responsibility for what he did, which is admirable. However, deep inside me I don't think there is a cure for this type of stuff. That's why having him register as a sex offender is a good idea. I'm sure down the road we're going to hear about Weiner doing something else to get himself in trouble. Unfortunately.

Good for Huma that she is bailing on this troubled man.

Agreed.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »

What a shame...based on the way he spoke in Congress, I think this guy would almost certainly have been a prominent person in the Democratic Party now without his sex scandals. I initially thought his 2011 scandal was just an aberration, but I was extremely disappointed to have been proven wrong over the subsequent years. Now, it seems to me that he has some kind of OCD which causes him to never cease the behavior which got him in trouble in the first place - looking back, I think that if his behavior hadn't been exposed in May 2011, it is still likely that it would have been exposed at some later time given its continuous nature.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 12:44:56 AM »

He would have had a good career. Trump is now the President, going into the locker room to see teenagers undressed without anyone's permission.

What is disturbing about Weiner is a continous history of this stuff, he is a repeat offender, puts his wife through hell & takes this kind of pics & sends it to women where his small child is present (in a picture, he was lying next to the child).

Having said that & Weiner being a disgusting person, the whole art of sending a naked picture to a 15 year old is not a massive crime (like a rape or molestation something) if it was indeed consensual & if the 15 year old was encouraging that kind of behaviour. That is not to say, it is not pathetic or immoral or even insanely stupid to go after under-age children, that it already is, but should be go to jail for a long time for that behaviour? I dont' know ! A 15 year old consenting adult isn't a child. Having said, Weiner should have known better rather than going after under-age teenagers! Probably serves him right for his long disgusting history !
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 01:39:48 AM »

My anti-Weiner credentials are impeccable. I was against him as a fake of poor character when most of the Forum was still supporting him for office. Even a few days ago I was calling people out for supporting him.

At what age does it become acceptable to sext? If it's 1 day before the girl's or boy's 18th birthday, it's outrageous and the adult should be arrested by the FBI and thrown into jail, but if it's 1 day after it's just a nice romance?

This borders on bizarre talk don't you think? Sexting a 15 year old as a 40 some year old man is just outright sexual predation and an unnatural desire go communicate with people who are not recognized to have full commensurate power equal to the other party.

We have ages of consent for a reason. 18 is a reasonable age.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 01:54:28 AM »

Goodbye pervert!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »

This borders on bizarre talk don't you think? Sexting a 15 year old as a 40 some year old man is just outright sexual predation and an unnatural desire go communicate with people who are not recognized to have full commensurate power equal to the other party.

We have ages of consent for a reason. 18 is a reasonable age.

The age of consent is 16 in most states, so a year older & Weiner would be legally safe (doesn't mean what he did was right). A huge share of girls who are 15 go out & they do share risque pictures & type adult stuff, it is pretty common. And many of them date guys who are 17-18-19 as well.

While technically it is not legal for someone below the age of consent to indulge in these acts, it happens surprisingly a lot more people can imagine here. This is not to justify Weiner, it is horrible what he did & he has no business going after a 15 year old. I especially feel bad for his wife & child - Their lives were turned into hell & they didn't deserve to go through this!

Having said the hypocrisy - Trump brags about grabbing people by the pus*y & barges into the locker room of young girls while they dress & most of the conservatives are okay with all that & support Trump !
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies