Is trump revealing classified information an impeachable offense
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:33:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is trump revealing classified information an impeachable offense
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is trump revealing classified information an impeachable offense  (Read 832 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »

Or is the president allowed to reveal classified information anytime he wants
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2017, 08:53:15 PM by TheSaint250 »

Depends on who's in power.  In the eyes of the law, it's not illegal.  In the eyes of Democrats, they will impeach him in a heartbeat
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »

Depends on who's in power.  In the eyes of the law, it's not illegal.  In the eyes of Democrats, they will impeach him in a heartbeat

But doesn't  he have to declassify it before revealing it
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »

Donald Trump is an impeachable offense.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »

Well if Clinton having a private server that just might have possibly, maybe released classified information is grounds for 18+ commissions and special investigations, I would think every Republican would say yes at the very least.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »

But doesn't  he have to declassify it before revealing it
From what I've been reading, technically, he's within the limits of the law. The first WaPo article mentioned it.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »

If anyone else in the government had done this, they would be in jail.

The President doesn't just get to ramble off the cuff about highly classified codeword intelligence to a foreign adversary.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »

Probably not. Given the standards for what constitutes "classified information," it's entitely possible Trump was just repeating something he heard on Fox and Friends, not knowing that, coming from an official government source, it would be considered classified.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »

What is impeachable is up to Congress and it's clear that the 115th Congress is not going to see it that way.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »

The President doesn't just get to ramble off the cuff about highly classified codeword intelligence to a foreign adversary.
From WaPo: "For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law."

He was wrong to do this, but it wasn't necessarily illegal.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 09:21:59 PM »

He broke the oath of office by aiding a foreign adversary.  That's all the reason needed to impeach.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »

He broke the oath of office by aiding a foreign adversary.  That's all the reason needed to impeach.
So sharing intelligence with adversaries, even if it could keep both countries and the world safe, is impeachable? I could see if it didn't advance any cause that would benefit both nations, but come on.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:26:41 PM »

From WaPo: "For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law."

It may not technically be illegal, but Congress gets to make up its mind as to what is an impeachable offense.

So yes, this can be an impeachable offense if Congress decides it is.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »

It may not be technically be illegal, but Congress gets to make up its mind as to what is an impeachable offense.

So yes, this can be an impeachable offense if Congress decides it is.
I know
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 09:28:06 PM »

No, but obstruction of justice is.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 09:32:35 PM »

I just find it ironic that Trumpists will defend this action by Trump, but demonized Hillary Clinton for her private e-mail server.

She was wrong to do it, but it wasn't necessarily illegal.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 09:33:32 PM »

I just find it ironic that Trumpists will defend this action by Trump, but demonized Hillary Clinton for her private e-mail server.

Perjury is.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »

Perjury is.

Who is the President?Huh?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »

Perjury is.

So I guess Sessions should be in jail then.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »

These leakers need to be found. Also, FYI, I would ABSOLUTELY say the same thing in the Obama White House.

I'm old school. I don't believe in anonymous sources. I think they suck and give unreliable information. I've never been big on tattle-tales.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »

Perjury is.

Who is the President?Huh?
So he mentions hillary, I try to explain something about her, and then I'm straying away from the topic.

Is this what you guys have been using to avoid Republicans pointing out hypocrisy on this site?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »

These leakers need to be found. Also, FYI, I would ABSOLUTELY say the same thing in the Obama White House.

I'm old school. I don't believe in anonymous sources. I think they suck and give unreliable information. I've never been big on tattle-tales.

The leaker is Trump. He leaked highly classified information to the Russians and put lives in danger.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »

The leaker is Trump. He leaked highly classified information to the Russians and put lives in danger.

Nah, he didn't. At worse, it's non-illegal incompetence. I never got mad about incompetence because it could happen to anyone. Incompetence without malice is acceptable.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »

Nah, he didn't. At worse, it's non-illegal incompetence. I never got mad about incompetence because it could happen to anyone. Incompetence without malice is acceptable.

Right... incompetence in the most imporant job in the country.  No biggie!  He didn't mean it 😜  Give him another shot to keep intel secrets!
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »

It absolutely puts lives at risk.

Also, what a low bar to have for your POTUS lol.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies