Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:06:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries  (Read 3326 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:53:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/05/08/carter-i-voted-for-bernie?via=desktop&source=copyurl
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »

Not surprising.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »

The man is going senile.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »

Don't Carter and Bill Clinton still hate each other? I mean his relationship with the Clintons has been rocky to say the least.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »

Good
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »

Proof that Carter is the biggest FF of all the former living Presidents!
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »

He's a good man, but my democratic vote would have gone to Gerald Ford had I been alive in 76' Ford really should have won that race.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:35:41 PM »

He's a good man, but my democratic vote would have gone to Gerald Ford had I been alive in 76' Ford really should have won that race.

Nixon screwed him. And I probably would've voted for Reagan in the 80's knowing what I know now about macroeconomics.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »

Carter was actually more conservative than Ford in some respects; he did manage to carry the solid south.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »

Still my 2nd favorite President (and favorite ex-President ever) of the last half a century. Nothing can break that.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 10:10:54 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »

By far the best President of the last 40 years.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »

I regret not voting for Carter in the 1980 GE.  (I abstained, and voted straight Democratic otherwise.)  I was a partisan Democrat then, and I doubly regret not voting for Carter in the Democratic Primary in 1980.

William Atwood, the publisher of NEWSDAY (Long Island's Daily Newspaper) wrote an op-ed in 1980 critiquing NY's Liberal Party's decision to support John Anderson for President.  Attwood wrote a list of Carter's accomplishments and asked rhetorically, "What more to New York's Liberals want?".  He also suggested that Carter's second term, free from worrying about re-election, could be more successful than his first term.  I have come to agree with Mr. Atwood over the years.  Jimmy Carter has been an unfairly maligned President for a number of years, but he was not the failure he was made out to be.  Not by a longshot.  And he would have been more successful if liberal Democrats had supported him then and not been suckered by the Kennedy nostalgia candidacy (as I was, sad to say). 
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »

Don't Carter and Bill Clinton still hate each other? I mean his relationship with the Clintons has been rocky to say the least.

What's the reason for the hatred? Did Carter back Obama in 08 primaries?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 04:30:58 AM »

Nixon screwed him. And I probably would've voted for Reagan in the 80's knowing what I know now about macroeconomics.

If it was Trump vs Reagan, I would take Trump a 100 out of 100 times ! Reagan is probably more extreme than Ted freaking Cruz !
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 06:13:34 PM »

What's the reason for the hatred? Did Carter back Obama in 08 primaries?

Carter did back Obama but it goes back deeper than that, Clinton blames his loss in the 1980 Governor's race on Carter and Carter responded by refusing to endorse his presidential run in 1992. Clinton then didn't invite Carter to his inauguration ceremonies and the two just never really had anything nice to say about the other since.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »

If it was Trump vs Reagan, I would take Trump a 100 out of 100 times ! Reagan is probably more extreme than Ted freaking Cruz !

Reagan was no where near extreme he probably would be a Kasich Republican today
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »

He was quite radical for the time though. Even Bush Sr. called his policies "voo-doo economics".
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »

He was quite radical for the time though. Even Bush Sr. called his policies "voo-doo economics".

Also unlike Cruz and trump he had actual governing experience.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »

Reagan is probably more extreme than Cruz forget Kasich. I find it hard to put him in a box, he is definitely a Freedom Caucus type person. But more importantly, he did more damage to the economic system, working class & middle class than any President in history which Trump n Cruz are totally incapable of doing.

Trump may say stupid or even mildly racist statements but he is way to the left of Reagan in economics & social issues. Atleast the man has some heart deep inside, I can't say that about a monster like Reagan. Go read his 1980 & 1984 party platform, you get an idea about the man. I have always disliked Reagan !
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »

Great for him.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »

Reagan is probably more extreme than Cruz forget Kasich. I find it hard to put him in a box, he is definitely a Freedom Caucus type person. But more importantly, he did more damage to the economic system, working class & middle class than any President in history which Trump n Cruz are totally incapable of doing.

Trump may say stupid or even mildly racist statements but he is way to the left of Reagan in economics & social issues. Atleast the man has some heart deep inside, I can't say that about a monster like Reagan. Go read his 1980 & 1984 party platform, you get an idea about the man. I have always disliked Reagan !

Did u forget Reagan unlike the Freedom Caucus was always ready to compromise . Reagan never would propose privatizing social security , or doing a flat tax.

On results , Reagan presidency had produced some of the best results of any president in the past 50 years easily.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 01:06:49 AM »

Did u forget Reagan unlike the Freedom Caucus was always ready to compromise . Reagan never would propose privatizing social security , or doing a flat tax.

On results , Reagan presidency had produced some of the best results of any president in the past 50 years easily.

Sure, just spend a little bit of time in the Mill Towns of Coos Bay/ North Bend, Toledo, Philomath, St Helens, etc Oregon about how Ronald Reagan produced "great results"....

Just six months ago I was up in a small Mill Town area in Tillamook County Oregon, playing some video poker in a small bar, and a proud former  International Woodworkers of America member literally spit on the floor when we were talking about Ronald Reagan.... s**t we weren't even talking about the '16 Presidential Election, and I wouldn't be surprised if he voted for Trump.

Maybe you should actually take some time travelling around your own state, before you start talking about the "great results" that Reagan achieved....

Sorry, just because your parents got major tax breaks under Reagan in no way shape or form makes him a President that "delivered results"....
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 01:18:28 AM »

Reagan slashed the estate tax, corporate tax & income tax massively. Arguing for a flat tax today is less radical than cutting taxes from 70% to 30% or less! Reagan never had explosive growth like FDR, his growth rate was above average at best, less than Clinton & possibly less than Carter. But what he did is unprecedented. He totally changed the income distribution & destroyed the middle class & working class & made wealth concentrated in the hands of a few - He initiated, shaped & created the 40 year decline of the middle class. Ofcourse he was a an uber social conservative & challenged Roe vs Wade etc like no other Republican President did !

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies