Iowa Rep. Rod Blum walks out of interview on question #2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:48:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Iowa Rep. Rod Blum walks out of interview on question #2
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa Rep. Rod Blum walks out of interview on question #2  (Read 950 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:08:48 PM »

Bizarre moment of television, including the classroom of children as props.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Blum-walks-out-of-exclusive-interview-with-TV9-421676713.html
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »

It's so sudden, too! What a simple question to just walk out on. Weird hill to die upon.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »

Republicans from all corners of the country are imploding now so that's cool.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 08:38:30 PM by Maxwell »

wow that was weird, even for LOAN SHARK ROD.

also why are righties now triggered over the most basic questions?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »

Hey DCCC been doing a good job recruiting how about giving a call to Pam Jochum
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

That was...weird.   Why did he get so upset over such a simple question like that?    He could've just said something like "I represent the people of my district" or something.   
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »

Reading this article, I'm sympathetic to Blum. The reporter was querying him on screening his town halls to only have voters from his district and trying to nail him on hypocrisy for accepting funds from outside his district.

What's wrong with making sure the town hall only has people from his district? They screened for that, and the attendees gave him hell anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/05/08/iowa-congressman-walks-out-of-a-tv-interview-and-into-an-angry-town-hall-meeting/?utm_term=.21f8329874b0
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »

Reading this article, I'm sympathetic to Blum. The reporter was querying him on screening his town halls to only have voters from his district and trying to nail him on hypocrisy for accepting funds from outside his district.

What's wrong with making sure the town hall only has people from his district? They screened for that, and the attendees gave him hell anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/05/08/iowa-congressman-walks-out-of-a-tv-interview-and-into-an-angry-town-hall-meeting/?utm_term=.21f8329874b0

I wouldn't say sympathetic (the man's a Congressman, he shouldn't throw a temper-tantrum as soon as he gets a question he doesn't like even if it is a bit unfair, which I'm not entirely convinced this question was), but I do think the reporter was definitely trying to play "gotcha."  That said, the optics are terrible and I think this incident reflects very poorly on Rod Blum (specifically his temperament, if he can't handle this, how can he handle the pressures of being a Congressman).
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »

I wouldn't say sympathetic (the man's a Congressman, he shouldn't throw a temper-tantrum as soon as he gets a question he doesn't like even if it is a bit unfair, which I'm not entirely convinced this question was), but I do think the reporter was definitely trying to play "gotcha."  That said, the optics are terrible and I think this incident reflects very poorly on Rod Blum (specifically his temperament, if he can't handle this, how can he handle the pressures of being a Congressman).

Completely agree. Congressmen need to be prepared for "gotcha." I get it if he's pissed off at the reporter—and a better reporter would have used the time to ask him about health care rather than town hall process. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »

This is interesting: Blum didn't tell the reporter he planned to bring all those kids with him to the interview, and then he showed up with the entourage. That explains why the setting looked so cramped.

I hope they got some kind of treat for being used as human shields even if only for 60 seconds.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »

Blum knows he is toast.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »

you can think it's a bad question and then answer "hey this is a bad question" without being a triggered libcuck about it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies