WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:37:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 61
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin  (Read 143746 times)
JG

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: May 07, 2018, 06:43:58 AM »

Eh. We'll see. Not like Trump's endorsement really helped Strange. (Or Moore in the actual election for that matter)
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #451 on: May 07, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #452 on: May 07, 2018, 08:00:34 AM »

Good for him. I hope this helps.
Bumaye

« Reply #453 on: May 07, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »

It's kinda funny. Not to long ago people said and wrote stuff like "Trump won't win in the GE, vote for Kasich or Cruz!" and Trump would have started a Twitter rant about Fake Polls and the lying mainstream media...
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #454 on: May 07, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »

Kind of late to do this, isn’t it? Hopefully these folks pull an Alabama and pick the worst possible to make it easier for Manchin to win because it’s unclear to me how strong Jenkins & Morrisey (especially Jenkins) really are and Trump will get embarrassed again.
TheBeardedOne
United States
« Reply #455 on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/386498-polls-show-blankenship-ahead-sparking-panic-among-gop?amp&__twitter_impression=true
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #456 on: May 07, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »

Rofl

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #457 on: May 07, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »

Can Blankenship run against CCM in 2022 please?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #458 on: May 07, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »

He wants them to split the vote? Huh
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #459 on: May 07, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »

he's got a point there
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #460 on: May 07, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »

he's got a point there
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #461 on: May 07, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »

Rofl

LOL!
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #462 on: May 07, 2018, 12:07:06 PM »

I do not trust those internal polls, especially this late.

I think they are meant to spur turnout
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #463 on: May 07, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »

he's got a point there

Well, minors people couldn’t vote in Alabama. Blankenship is literally a coal miner killer (his nickname should be “Natural Gas” amirite). That’s like nominating a vegan anti-cheese activist in Wisconsin.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #464 on: May 07, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »

he's got a point there
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #465 on: May 07, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »

I have this strange feeling that I can't shake that while heavily losing, Paula Jean will do much better than expect, like low to mid 30s... I think Manchin might get O'Rourke'd in the primary, probably not that drastic, but I can't shake the feeling of a Swearingen overperformance.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: May 07, 2018, 12:50:40 PM »

I have this strange feeling that I can't shake that while heavily losing, Paula Jean will do much better than expect, like low to mid 30s... I think Manchin might get O'Rourke'd in the primary, probably not that drastic, but I can't shake the feeling of a Swearingen overperformance.

Does it matter? She’ll get 10-15%ish but I don’t understand why you hate her so much. She’s a generic progressive.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #467 on: May 07, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »

Yeah I agree. She'll get the progressive vote + some conservative DINOs who just want to vote against Joe Manchin. That should get her to at least 20%, maybe 30%.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #468 on: May 07, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised. If high profile progressives endorsed her and campaigned for her, and she focused a lot on economic populism, she could've broken 40%, or made the primary somewhat competitive. obviously that didn't happen.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #469 on: May 07, 2018, 01:02:04 PM »

I expect Swearengin to get around 25% of the vote, possibly low 30's. She will benefit from a coalition of West Virginia's small liberal base and legacy registered Dems who will protest vote against Manchin.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #470 on: May 07, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »

I feel like Blankenship winning is too good to be true. I mean that would basically put a top target/vulnerable seat for R/Ds off the table. It would immensely change 2018 dynamic for the Senate. 
warandwar
United States

« Reply #471 on: May 07, 2018, 04:49:37 PM »

Does it matter? She’ll get 10-15%ish but I don’t understand why you hate her so much. She’s a generic progressive.
She's not that generic! She's a coal miner's daughter and has been protesting people like Blankenship for decades. She's wonderful.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: May 07, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »

She's not that generic! She's a coal miner's daughter and has been protesting people like Blankenship for decades. She's wonderful.

Generic progressives are wonderful on average Tongue
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #473 on: May 08, 2018, 03:29:45 AM »

Since I won't be able to see the results from the Primaries live tomorrow (Need to work a late Factory shift until 20:30 PST and 23:30 EST.... ) will have to likely see final results once I get off my swing shift....

Still, WV is a State still dear to my heart as a young Labor and Environmentalist activist in SW Ohio some 20-25 years back...

Thinking of throwing a brief playlist for y'alls that will have a chance to enjoy the show, starting with the obvious songs referencing West Virginia, from all of these albums and cassettes I have purchased over the years (Please purchase to support the original artists if you haven't already)....

1.) John Denver: "Take Me Home Country Roads"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeUdJky9rY

2.) Loretta Lynn: "Coal Miners Daughter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM84OekHtAQ

3.) Ok--- skipping the obvious ones that we all know, but here's a website that might post some others that most of us might have listened to or not (Listened to just about every single one of these songs multiple times over decades....

http://weheartwv.com/2016/08/16/15-songs-that-perfectly-get-west-virginia/

4.) Now there are a few other topical songs floating around...

Peggy Seeger: "Taft-Hartley"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sTJL05o3J0

Peggy Seeger: "Black Lung"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdMRsPQryM

Regardless of whomever wins the Republican US-SEN Primary in WV, there is still a major outstanding issue at hand in the November US-SEN GE....

This is the issue of outstanding Collective Bargaining Agreements with former United Mine Workers of America Union Members (There aren't really any Union Mines left in WV last time I checked--- could be wrong), that comes to Miner Pensions and Widows of those that died as a direct consequence of exposure to "Black Lung", and "Industrial Accidents" over the years....

The American Coal Industry in the heart of Appalachia not only "Double-Breasted" non-union Mines literally in the "hollers" next door from Union Mines to gut the political and economic power of the UMWA from the '70s onwards, but additionally shifted operations west to the "open pit mines" and "cowboy miners" of Montana and Wyoming to undercut the power of the UMWA.

Although Coal Mining in West Virginia has been virtually eliminated as part of a systematic Operator program at a time where the Coal Industry became increasingly consolidated and dominated by MNCs (Nothing to do with Al Gore and Global Warming folks), we have an increasingly aging and retired Coal Miner families and communities that have been abandoned by both Democratic and Republican Presidential Administrations alike....

Honestly, not a big fan of Manchin, but at least he will protect and fight for the Social Compact between Labor and Capitol, so that retired Miners and their Widows, will at least get what is theirs, although the Trump Administration hasn't done squat to protect retired Coal Miners and their families in WV....

http://umwa.org/news-media/press/american-miners-protection-act/

We'll see how this all goes down tomorrow in the Republican Primary, but actually in some ways, I'm thinking in November '18 you might see the retired Coal Miners looking more like this, whomever the Republicans nominate...

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #474 on: May 08, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »

As much as I would like to believe the rumors of Blakenship surging, I'm generally not a fan of insider "whispers", especially so close to election day.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies