WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:12:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 61
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin  (Read 141815 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

Does anyone want to see Raese get the nomination so that Manchin easily wins?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »

Former Massey Energy CEO Don Blakenship is considering running.

oh, for the love of g-d. noooo please don't.

this P.O.S. should still be in jail.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What was there to do? The idea that every one of those almosts were only kept from being wins by incompetence in the democratic party is absurd.

Pretty much everyone assumed WI, MI, and PA were fine. It is ridiculous to suggest that it was just an "establishment"(whatever that means).

Right... Sure they are.

Did any non-incumbent bernie house D's outperform Clinton? The idea that the democratic party is a hopeless dysfunctional mess because it can't win every election ever needs to die.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:17 PM »

Democrat Chase Henderson, a photographer from Huntington, launched a primary challenge against Manchin.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »

*snip*

Moreover, Manchin is essentially a Republican.

Look, you can think that all you want, but the fact is that if we'd run a liberal instead of Manchin for this seat last time around, the skinny repeal bill would've passed the Senate even with McCain.  Last night's vote is a perfect example of why your claim that Manchin is basically a Republican is ridiculous.  We saw how the "moderate" WV Republican Senator voted.  Manchin is there when we really need his vote and that's what matters.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »

Millions of Americans are glad your hot takes aren't accurate at all.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »

I'm no fan of Manchin, especially since a lot of his votes are just a call for attention and a form of posturing to WV voters. I'll still take him and his shenanigans over a Republican who will stand with Trump no matter what, which is what we'll get if a Democrat other than Manchin runs in 2018.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »

I'm no fan of Manchin, especially since a lot of his votes are just a call for attention and a form of posturing to WV voters.
Well, that's kinda what senators are supposed to do: represent their states.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »

*snip*

Look, you can think that all you want, but the fact is that if we'd run a liberal instead of Manchin for this seat last time around, the skinny repeal bill would've passed the Senate even with McCain.  Last night's vote is a perfect example of why your claim that Manchin is basically a Republican is ridiculous.  We saw how the "moderate" WV Republican Senator voted.  Manchin is there when we really need his vote and that's what matters.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »

*snip*

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »

If a Justice Democrat succeeds in primarying out Manchin, this race goes from Likely D to Likely R in my book.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »

If a Justice Democrat succeeds in primarying out Manchin, this race goes from Likely D to Likely R in my book.

Agreed, and if that happens, boy am I going to be...somewhat disgruntled. Progressive purists are going to throw away our chances at taking back Congress for the sake of having candidates that match their ideology, rather than candidates who best match their constituency and have the best chance of winning. I'm actually pretty glad the DCCC threw them a huge middle finger with their decision on pro-life Democrats.

Needless to say, if the purity test ends up killing Manchin, Democrats can kiss Congress goodbye for the next while. Geography is their biggest weakness, so they need moderates like Manchin to appeal to deeply red areas to even have a majority. Even with a decent bunch of those guys, Democrats don't have a majority.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »

Jim Justice's party switch probably hurts Manchin, so I say this race moved from Likely D to Lean D.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

I'm keeping this race as a tossup, Justice switching may cause damage, but I can't see it hurting Manchin enough to change the rating at this point.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »

Agreed, and if that happens, boy am I going to be...somewhat disgruntled. Progressive purists are going to throw away our chances at taking back Congress for the sake of having candidates that match their ideology, rather than candidates who best match their constituency and have the best chance of winning. I'm actually pretty glad the DCCC threw them a huge middle finger with their decision on pro-life Democrats.

Needless to say, if the purity test ends up killing Manchin, Democrats can kiss Congress goodbye for the next while. Geography is their biggest weakness, so they need moderates like Manchin to appeal to deeply red areas to even have a majority. Even with a decent bunch of those guys, Democrats don't have a majority.

If a challenge from the left actually succeeded then Manchin was always going to lose the general anyways.
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »

If a challenge from the left actually succeeded then Manchin was always going to lose the general anyways.
I don't think that's necessarily true because of how republican West Virginia is.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2017, 05:02:57 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2017, 05:04:31 PM by ERM64man »

New WV MetroNews poll: Manchin up 10% against Jenkins.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »

New WV MetroNews poll: Manchin up 10% against Jenkins.
Not new, this is the same one that already has its own thread.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »

Manchin has a second primary challenger, a photographer named Chase Henderson. This should help Manchin win the primary even more easily.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »

Governor Jim Justice (R-WV) says he supports Joe Manchin.

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/09/20/governor-justice-now-republican-tells-republicans-he-supports-manchins-senate-bid/
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »

Goddamn RINO.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2017, 05:17:26 PM »

But really... LOL
UncleSam

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »

Did anyone actually read the article? He said he was close friends with Joe Manchin, had been for 20 years, and was 'going to go off of what Donald Trump did' while simultaneously praising both Jenkins and Morrissey. The guy switched parties (not brains or beliefs) six weeks ago.

So no, he neither indicated he was supporting Manchin not did he indicate an endorsement. And I doubt he will lose or even be seriously challenged in a primary three years down the line, given how close he is with Trump and how popular Trump is there.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »

Don't take the Lord's name in vain.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »

interesting strategy - is he trying to defeat Manchin by tainting him with his own failing, shoddy name?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies