TrumpCare highlights (BESIDES the hikes on those with pre-existing conditions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:21:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TrumpCare highlights (BESIDES the hikes on those with pre-existing conditions)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TrumpCare highlights (BESIDES the hikes on those with pre-existing conditions)  (Read 980 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

Besides pre-existing conditions (which has hogged media coverage so far)...

1. TrumpCare will allow insurance companies to deny coverage on maternal care, mental health, and prescription drugs.

2. TrumpCare also no longer offers tax credits based on healthcare costs or household income, only age. Though even people who are older would receive less than they did under ObamaCare.

"A 64-year-old who makes $26,500 a year could see net out-of-pocket costs increase from $1,700 a year under the current law to $14,600 a year under the GOP plan, according to Congressional Budget Office estimates."

3. TrumpCare also will also allow anyone 65+ to be charged up to 500% what someone under 65 is charged, for the same plan.

4. Federal support for Medicaid expansion would end. But not only that...

5. You'll also be required to have a job to receive Medicaid, unless pregnant/disabled/elderly (a major number of people on Medicaid are recently laid off and take a couple years to find a new job).

6. After 2020, they'd also change Medicaid where they will cap the amount each person can get, for those who do still qualify for it. There are 75 million Americans currently on Medicaid who will now have a "cap" on how much their Medicaid insurance will cover.

7. Medicaid after 2020 will also no longer be required to cover emergency care, pregnancy, newborn care, pediatric services, or prescription drugs.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trumpcare-bill-could-affect-health-care-consumers-014600693--abc-news-topstories.html

What is everyone's thoughts on these parts of TrumpCare (and other parts not related to pre-existing conditions)?

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »

Horrible. The part about cutting tax credits to help for for medical insurance on a means tested basis is particularly execrable. The Torie man wants all medical subsidies to be means tested, with the subsidy sufficient to enable the purchase of insurance with reasonable coverage for all. It's simple, and it's fair. That must be why next to nobody seems to favor it. Sad!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »

Conservatrash gonna be trash.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »

Before we flip out we should wait to see the Senate's amendments. From all reports the House threw crap together to send to the Senate. I don't actually believe the House presented a serious bill.

If the Senate retained these elements and passed it we should worry but remember a few things 1. It will be months before the Senate votes 2. There's a few special elections in between (notably Georgia's 6th) that could inform the Senate's behavior. 3. Remember a lot of Republicans are up in 2020 and 2020, when people are kicked off Medicare and Medicaid. This is a particular fear of Portman.

I want to see what the Senate comes up with before freaking.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »

I may be wrong and honestly I could be but I suspect Senate Republicans will focus on passing a bill that isn't too wildly radical. I don't think the House bill is liked by anyone and the Senate will significantly alter it.

I stick to my prediction Senate Republicans either basically fix the law or kill the repeal.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »

They're so used to saying no and blocking everything Obama did that all they know how to do is slap something on paper and be proud they accomplished something.

They don't really believe the Senate is gonna buy this chit because that's what it is. Chit.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »

@Mondale:

Serious legislating in our system usually requires buying off voting and donor blocs. What blocs does the House vote really buy off?

Conservatives don't like it. The insurance groups hate it; ditto the medical groups. The white working class types would be hit hard by the bill. Liberals absolutely hate the bill. Obama bought off the medical groups, liberals, and Obama voters with the ACA. Who exactly is the beneficiaries of TrumpCare that adds up to a significant minority or slight majority?

Unlike you I don't buy that our legislative system is that broken that major laws can be passed without voting blocs being bought off and satisfied. Our constitutional system is extremely conservative in that it requires immense buy in to pass major laws.

Senate Republicans are aware of this and aware that any law they create needs significant public support to stick. No Republican wants to spend eight years (max) with TrumpCare hanging around their necks.

I stand by the prediction -- especially given how close the House vote was -- that the ultimate resolution is minor changes to the ACA.

A 239 Republican strong House barely passed a repeal (on the second try) -- what does that tell you about the chances of sweeping reforms? They didn't even dismantle ACA's basic structure by the way. They kept the exchanges, subsidies, and they kept the Medicaid expansion running to 2020.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »

Before we flip out we should wait to see the Senate's amendments. From all reports the House threw crap together to send to the Senate. I don't actually believe the House presented a serious bill.

If the Senate retained these elements and passed it we should worry but remember a few things 1. It will be months before the Senate votes 2. There's a few special elections in between (notably Georgia's 6th) that could inform the Senate's behavior. 3. Remember a lot of Republicans are up in 2020 and 2020, when people are kicked off Medicare and Medicaid. This is a particular fear of Portman.

I want to see what the Senate comes up with before freaking.

One way to make sure the Senate doesn't include these things is to talk about how bad these things are.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 03:27:24 PM »

The white boys are still in charge, and what they are proposing benefits themselves.

So tired of that club.

Everyone needs a voice and everyone has a right to healthcare. Everyone, including the white boys, but not exclusively them, matters.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »

@Mondale:

Serious legislating in our system usually requires buying off voting and donor blocs. What blocs does the House vote really buy off?

Conservatives don't like it. The insurance groups hate it; ditto the medical groups. The white working class types would be hit hard by the bill. Liberals absolutely hate the bill. Obama bought off the medical groups, liberals, and Obama voters with the ACA. Who exactly is the beneficiaries of TrumpCare that adds up to a significant minority or slight majority?

Unlike you I don't buy that our legislative system is that broken that major laws can be passed without voting blocs being bought off and satisfied. Our constitutional system is extremely conservative in that it requires immense buy in to pass major laws.

Senate Republicans are aware of this and aware that any law they create needs significant public support to stick. No Republican wants to spend eight years (max) with TrumpCare hanging around their necks.

I stand by the prediction -- especially given how close the House vote was -- that the ultimate resolution is minor changes to the ACA.

A 239 Republican strong House barely passed a repeal (on the second try) -- what does that tell you about the chances of sweeping reforms? They didn't even dismantle ACA's basic structure by the way. They kept the exchanges, subsidies, and they kept the Medicaid expansion running to 2020.

The GOP is no longer a sane rational party. We're so used to the idea that something bad just can't happen but it can. Look at the tea party governors in red states....every single one has been a disaster who eviscerated state programs and blew up the budgets and yet nearly every single one got re-elected.

I'm not sold yet that what gets signed will be all that radical. If anything gets signed. We have fundamental differences of how we see this playing out; you could be right.

I don't think it matters whether the Republican Party is x or y. I think they care about reelection and winning power. They also care about tax cuts. Given all that … a radical law threatens the hold the Republican Party has on working class whites who are an integral part of their coalition. It destroys the compact to keep taxes low and the safety net relatively intact. I don't see us going back to pre-2009, not with the middle and working class weaker than they were. I'm skeptical as a result that any changes will be a giant upheaval… (plus there has been almost zero buy into the House plan)

That said, I'm less certain than I was. Because ObamaCare was so controversial I may be wrong and this could be the second tranche where we live through TrumpCare before one party finally does a version of universal healthcare coverage. It's clear it has now consumed two administrations from both parties and is a huge unresolved issue. Neither party may have cracked the code and healthcare is a huge issue because of how out of control costs are plus how weakened the middle and lower class's earning power is.

Secondly the Senate not passing a plan leaves House Republicans out to dry with a huge target on their backs. I think that by walking the planks they're ensuring that a law must be passed.

All I can say with 100% confidence is that this isn't the final iteration of healthcare.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »

They're so used to saying no and blocking everything Obama did that all they know how to do is slap something on paper and be proud they accomplished something.

They don't really believe the Senate is gonna buy this chit because that's what it is. Chit.

It is actually worse then that.

These assholes could craft a bill that works or even just build on the ACA. They won't do it because they simply don't believe in universal coverage. But they know they can't say that out loud or they all go home in 2018, so instead we get this piece ****.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »

trumpcare is not killing Ocare, it is making way for states to opt out - aka possibly increasing costs for people who are sick to start with - and it changed the way this stuff is paid for in a regressive way.

it is making an imperfect system even worse.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 10:40:14 PM »

Does anyone think I missed any big points against TrumpCare?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 11:06:30 PM »

• Eliminates the taxes and tax increases imposed by the ACA;
That cuts the Medicare tax on investment income for the rich by 3.8%. That's a pretty large tax cut. It doesn't affect the middle class.[/list]
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2017, 11:55:29 PM by Confused Democrat »

I may be wrong and honestly I could be but I suspect Senate Republicans will focus on passing a bill that isn't too wildly radical. I don't think the House bill is liked by anyone and the Senate will significantly alter it.

I stick to my prediction Senate Republicans either basically fix the law or kill the repeal.

I can't envision any scenario in which Senate Republicans kill the repeal. It has been the Republican Party's single loudest rallying cry for the last eight years and has delivered them majorities in both the House and the Senate. This is a promise that they feel heavily obligated to keep, and I don't blame them.

They're in a loses lose situation, and it's all because they flat out lied to their constituency in order to bolster their electoral gains.

Obamacare wasn't the government takeover of the American healthcare system that Republicans pitched to voters. It was the compromise, and ironically it was the more market oriented solution to the problems in our healthcare system pre ACA.

Whatever the Republicans end up passing, and I strongly believe they will send something to Trump's desk, it will with out a doubt make our healthcare system worse. People will lose their coverage, and Republicans are going to own Healthcare and all of the electoral problems that come with that burden.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies