Clinton attributes 2016 loss to "outside factors, like Russia"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:37:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton attributes 2016 loss to "outside factors, like Russia"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Clinton attributes 2016 loss to "outside factors, like Russia"  (Read 1569 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »

Look at the data, she had a clear lead that deteriorated as soon as the (unnecessary and unprecedented) Comey letter was released. I love how all the head lines leave out the fact that she admits that she and her team made a ton of mistakes

You can't separate the Comey letter from the Wikileaks leaks and people paying more attention in general.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »

I personally think that the best way to improve oneself is to look for internal factors related to one self. While external factors certainly play a role in some cases, they are beyond one's control while internal factors are within one's control. On that point, I'm not 100% certain if Hillary has realized what she could have done better during her campaign.

It's under society's control, though. Comey should be fired, and there would be an OIG investigation of the FBI that leads to the agents in the New York office who pushed the laptop story to be fired also. Then, they should all be charged with gross violations of the Hatch Act. Meanwhile, new strict rules should be put in place so the federal government never interferes with an election again unless it is a US attorney announcing federal charges.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 11:17:59 PM »

It's undeniable that her polling average dropped significantly after the Comey letter. It hurt her; she lost 2-3 points because of it. For reference, she lost the election by <1% in 3 states.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »

I mean, it's definitely true that outside factors hurt her, and without any of those factors, she may have won the election. It's definitely not accurate to say that no blame lies with her or her campaign, though.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »

The Basket of Deplorable moment shifted some undecided voters  to Trump. I know she meant some of his supporters. Still it was taken out of context. There were many things that went wrong. I'm still puzzled as to why she did not spend more time in the Midwest. I get the polls showed her ahead. Still she should of learned from the Michigan Primary. Remember Bernie upset her there.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 12:07:10 AM »

Hillary Clinton would have gotten 307 electoral votes if Director Comey had followed DOJ protocol.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 03:19:19 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh come on Hillary. You never even stepped foot in Wisconsin during the general election this was clearly a mistake on the part of your team. Trump's only serious path to the Presidency was the Brexit strategy and to win over those rust belt states.

That's because she was courting republicans, since WI was a nevertrump state, it would've worked if not for Comey's giant dog whistle causing GOPers to return home.

As I always thought, Trump was a perfect fit for the WWC/Whites with No College Degree  voters in Northern and hell even SW Wisconsin, which was missed in the polls I think. His only problem was making sure he didn't lose too many Cruzites in Waukesha, and there was probably a shy trump effect in such areas, exaggerating his loss of support among traditional Republicans and thus skewing the top lines that produced those 8 point Clinton leads.

One could just as easily attribute their "coming home" to Walker's campaigning with Trump, Ryan's infusion of cash into the WI GOP's GOTV efforts and Cruz's late endorsement.

Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 06:06:26 AM »

Look at the data, she had a clear lead that deteriorated as soon as the (unnecessary and unprecedented) Comey letter was released. I love how all the head lines leave out the fact that she admits that she and her team made a ton of mistakes

You can't separate the Comey letter from the Wikileaks leaks and people paying more attention in general.
Yes they were paying more attention in general at the worst possible time for her. All due to Comey's letter which was so vague that the media jumped to  the worst conclusions
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »

Comey's letter hurt her but what's hurting her more is her refusal to admit that having a private server was a mistake. If she didn't have one, there would be no Comey letter and she probably would have won. Talking metrics vs. reality.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »

Comey cost Clinton the election.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-comey-letter-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 08:26:42 PM »

Does anyone remember players for the Atlanta Falcons running around the country claiming that they would have won the Super Bowl if it ended in 3 quarters?

Oh wait, that happens to be objectively true.

But losers and whiners find ways to CHOKE!

While I whole heartedly agree that she was a complete and utter dumba$$ for using a private server in the first place..... She had the election in the bag before Comey's interference. It was completely unprecedented and unnecessary. Its also odd considering they were investigating the Trump campaign as well

Hillary should not have ran while under investigation.  Think about it; she ran while under investigation, and the DNC cleared the decks to help her.

This was unprecedented event number one, which culminated in Comey's summer statement.  Then, when evidence emerged to suggest that Hillary may have lied, Comey was faced with an even more impossible choice; let the voters elect a guilty candidate or be candid with the public before Election Day. 

In each case, Comey did the right thing.  The situation was impossible, and it was made impossible by the fact that Hillary never stopped trying to gild lilies, giving the appearance of lying, if not actually lying.  How would America have felt if Hillary were elected, and then indicted? 

It was long ago time for the Clintons to go away.  It was long ago time for our first prospective Madame President to be someone other than the spouse of Mister President 42.  Hillary Clinton, however, thinks she's owed the Presidency, and she has less of a claim on that ground than any person in my lifetime that ran for President and got close to a nomination. 
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »

I love how no matter how unpopular she gets that posters on here still cling on to this fan girl obsession of her.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »

I love how no matter how unpopular she gets that posters on here still cling on to this fan girl obsession of her.

She was more popular than Trump, and got more votes; now look who's president.

The FBI has totally discredited itself in this election. It can no longer be seen as a professional organization looking out for national interests. It's just another corrupt bureaucracy full of private agendas, corruption and backstabbing. They might as well bring back J. Edgar Hoover. At least he did it with panache. Comey and his $10 million house bought with illustrious hedge fund money won't do.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »

She was more popular than Trump, and got more votes; now look who's president.

The FBI has totally discredited itself in this election. It can no longer be seen as a professional organization looking out for national interests. It's just another corrupt bureaucracy full of private agendas, corruption and backstabbing. They might as well bring back J. Edgar Hoover. At least he did it with panache. Comey and his $10 million house bought with illustrious hedge fund money won't do.

This was also the case in 2008.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »

Can't you people realize it's possible for both Clinton and Comet to be responsible for her loss? It is true that the data is clear and Comey crippled Clinton in the final days, she lost about 2% in the polls, media coverage of her was negative and undecideds went to Trump. It's also true that she made many mistakes and was a flawed candidate herself who would have won if not for her own mistakes. The fact is Clinton was flawed but still on the way to winning until the Coney letter.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »

Does anyone remember players for the Atlanta Falcons running around the country claiming that they would have won the Super Bowl if it ended in 3 quarters?

Oh wait, that happens to be objectively true.

But losers and whiners find ways to CHOKE!

While I whole heartedly agree that she was a complete and utter dumba$$ for using a private server in the first place..... She had the election in the bag before Comey's interference. It was completely unprecedented and unnecessary. Its also odd considering they were investigating the Trump campaign as well

Hillary should not have ran while under investigation.  Think about it; she ran while under investigation, and the DNC cleared the decks to help her.

This was unprecedented event number one, which culminated in Comey's summer statement.  Then, when evidence emerged to suggest that Hillary may have lied, Comey was faced with an even more impossible choice; let the voters elect a guilty candidate or be candid with the public before Election Day. 

In each case, Comey did the right thing.  The situation was impossible, and it was made impossible by the fact that Hillary never stopped trying to gild lilies, giving the appearance of lying, if not actually lying.  How would America have felt if Hillary were elected, and then indicted? 

It was long ago time for the Clintons to go away.  It was long ago time for our first prospective Madame President to be someone other than the spouse of Mister President 42.  Hillary Clinton, however, thinks she's owed the Presidency, and she has less of a claim on that ground than any person in my lifetime that ran for President and got close to a nomination. 

She knew the investigation would lead to absolutely nothing and guess what? SHE WAS RIGHT.

She mentioned in her latest speech/interview that "of course made many mistakes" and that she was writing her apology currently. She even apologized in her concession speech for losing.

Saying that she had less of a claim to the presidency than any person who ran in your life time is clearly a statement clouded in bias. She was very experienced and knowledgable and was ready for the job. You really think Donald Trump had more of a claim to the Presidency than her? How so? By promising to "drain the swamp" something he has made MORE THAN CLEAR HE WILL NEVER DO...

Humor me...... Im not saying she was an amazing candidate or ethically pure person, but she sure has hell had every right to run for President, more so than many people who already have.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2017, 11:22:15 PM »

Comey's letter hurt her but what's hurting her more is her refusal to admit that having a private server was a mistake. If she didn't have one, there would be no Comey letter and she probably would have won. Talking metrics vs. reality.

She has admitted that dozens of times??
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:35 AM »

Hillary Clinton would have gotten 307 electoral votes if Director Comey had followed DOJ protocol.

This
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies