Opinion of Samantha Bee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:25:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Samantha Bee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Opinion of Samantha Bee  (Read 3333 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 04:59:50 PM »

Liberal smugness personified, continuing in The Daily Show's established tradition of detached center-left political commentary in which most of the attempts at humor comprise lazy vulgarity or pointless pop culture references. ("Hahaha! They're referencing things I know!")

Blame the latter on postmodernity as a whole. Everything has already been written; it's the End of History.

According to at least one august and influential interpretation, history ended in 1918, when Britain was no longer Top Nation.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 05:01:19 PM »

Strong HP reaction to what little I've seen of her show, too much divisive shrill identity politics bullcrap, not enough bridge-building class focus.  But my reaction may be the result of latent misogynism or something, idk, i'd have to actually watch the show to be fair to her.

Of the political late night talk show hosts, the only one I really like is John Oliver but he's not really funny.  Colbert and Noah are likeable I guess, I don't really try to follow either show.

Fallon is apolitical mom humor, no reaction really to Meyers.

Of these late night talk show hosts plus Jon Stewart, the only one who isn't an overtly partisan, smug moron is Stephen Colbert. He got worse as Trump built momentum.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 05:09:27 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »

I like John Oliver when he's doing weirdly obsessive takes on relatively obscure issues that normally get lost in the theatrics of national politics.  He can mug a bit too much for my taste though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »

She's talented, but the brand of politics she's desperately pushing for is beyond awful.

Uh,what the hell? I don't see how anyone left of center couldn't find her politics great, in step with Bernie and his movement actually.

LOL, you mean the movement that she relentlessly mocked during a campaign and still occasionally likes to blame for Hillary's loss?

Uh, when? I've only seen her bash Republicans. But she's pretty all liberal, all the time.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »

If she is vulgar and hyperpartisan, so what?  She still isn't the left's equivalent of Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.  It's not that level of vitriol.  Not that the left shouldn't have that equivalent.

Especially now that the Republicans have a man in the White House who is overtly vulgar and vitriolic--and is determined to squash anyone who gets under his skin--the left needs people who are not afraid to mock and ridicule the lunatic and his enablers who causing the country and the world so much destruction.

I still haven't heard liberal comedians like Bee mock the small children of politicians who don't ask for attention.  Fox News and freerepublic, on the other hand, can go after the Obama kids, and Rush Limbaugh infamously called Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog".  Yet, in this thread, we have Democrats and left-leaning independents eager to criticize the "smugness" or whatever of left-of-center comedians.  Republicans, however, are not so inclined to call out the crudeness of people like Limbaugh.  Enough double standards.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »

Angry rants =/= comedy. The few times I tried to watch her were unbearable and not funny in any way. Its not funny to scream about how ashamed you are of all white women because some voted for Trump. Thats just narrating a Jezebel article.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

If she is vulgar and hyperpartisan, so what?  She still isn't the left's equivalent of Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.  It's not that level of vitriol.  Not that the left shouldn't have that equivalent.

Especially now that the Republicans have a man in the White House who is overtly vulgar and vitriolic--and is determined to squash anyone who gets under his skin--the left needs people who are not afraid to mock and ridicule the lunatic and his enablers who causing the country and the world so much destruction.

I still haven't heard liberal comedians like Bee mock the small children of politicians who don't ask for attention.  Fox News and freerepublic, on the other hand, can go after the Obama kids, and Rush Limbaugh infamously called Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog".  Yet, in this thread, we have Democrats and left-leaning independents eager to criticize the "smugness" or whatever of left-of-center comedians.  Republicans, however, are not so inclined to call out the crudeness of people like Limbaugh.  Enough double standards.
Speaking from personal opinion, smugness is worse than crudeness.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »

She's talented, but the brand of politics she's desperately pushing for is beyond awful.

Only talking about your economically liberal views sometimes is not "beyond awful".

Huh What does this even mean?

Basically, she often talks about things that aren't economics, and I was guessing that antonio doesn't like her for "identity politics" or something.

Where does Antonio even imply that his disdain for her is rooted in her choice to "talk about things that aren't economics"? And what does "identity politics" have to with this, either? I can't speak for Antonio, but as someone whose worldview is generally aligned with his, I dislike her show because a. the ideology she espouses is contrary to mine and b. "News Satire" (I think that's what they're called?) shows like hers are cringe-inducing/painfully unfunny*.

*Besides Last Week Tonight, of course.

It was a guess based on personal intuition. Maybe it didn't quite hit the mark, but I fail to see why she should be so out of step with a reasonable leftist other then some vague "smugness" BS or something. (I personally watch it more for the news then the jokes, which are often just whatever but occasionally are really good)

If she is vulgar and hyperpartisan, so what?  She still isn't the left's equivalent of Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.  It's not that level of vitriol.  Not that the left shouldn't have that equivalent.

I still haven't heard liberal comedians like Bee mock the small children of politicians who don't ask for attention.  Fox News and freerepublic, on the other hand, can go after the Obama kids, and Rush Limbaugh infamously called Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog".  Yet, in this thread, we have Democrats and left-leaning independents eager to criticize the "smugness" or whatever of left-of-center comedians.  Republicans, however, are not so inclined to call out the crudeness of people like Limbaugh.  Enough double standards.
Speaking from personal opinion, smugness is worse than crudeness.

What kind of a person do you have to be to consider "smugness" worse then calling a young girl a f**king dog?!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »

If she is vulgar and hyperpartisan, so what?  She still isn't the left's equivalent of Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.  It's not that level of vitriol.  Not that the left shouldn't have that equivalent.

I still haven't heard liberal comedians like Bee mock the small children of politicians who don't ask for attention.  Fox News and freerepublic, on the other hand, can go after the Obama kids, and Rush Limbaugh infamously called Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog".  Yet, in this thread, we have Democrats and left-leaning independents eager to criticize the "smugness" or whatever of left-of-center comedians.  Republicans, however, are not so inclined to call out the crudeness of people like Limbaugh.  Enough double standards.

"Both sides do it!"
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »

Oddly the closest there is to Jon Stewart left. FF.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »

"Both sides do it!"

You literally censor trumps name like a swear word, derogatorily talk about "yuppies" in a way that's isn't much different from the attitudes you criticize towards the working class, have claimed that libertarians all want the poor to die and suffer, implied Clinton didn't have a right to do anything but sit down and retire, etc. You have no right to whine about people not being nice.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 07:08:14 PM »

To be fair, yuppies are pretty toxic.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »

Eh.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »

Horrible. And I liked  John Stewart despite his politics I found fun hilarious. Samantha Bee is just annoying.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »

Angry rants =/= comedy. The few times I tried to watch her were unbearable and not funny in any way. Its not funny to scream about how ashamed you are of all white women because some voted for Trump. Thats just narrating a Jezebel article.

Bahaha you're on a roll today
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 10:35:21 PM »

"Both sides do it!"

You literally censor trumps name like a swear word, derogatorily talk about "yuppies" in a way that's isn't much different from the attitudes you criticize towards the working class, have claimed that libertarians all want the poor to die and suffer, implied Clinton didn't have a right to do anything but sit down and retire, etc. You have no right to whine about people not being nice.

If I were a public figure, that would be somewhat tactless behavior, yes. As it stands, I'm just some guy on the internet.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »

"Both sides do it!"

If I were a public figure, that would be somewhat tactless behavior, yes. As it stands, I'm just some guy on the internet.

Niceness begins with ordinary people. Our politics are nasty because ordinary people are nasty to each other. The republicans refusal to be even remotely reasonable with Obama was what their voters wanted.

I did get a bit emotional last night, but I really can't stand this kind of hatred that seems to be more because she's different culturally or something then for concrete objections.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »

I have no idea who this is.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »

She's complete garbage.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »

"Both sides do it!"

Niceness begins with ordinary people. Our politics are nasty because ordinary people are nasty to each other. The republicans refusal to be even remotely reasonable with Obama was what their voters wanted.

I did get a bit emotional last night, but I really can't stand this kind of hatred that seems to be more because she's different culturally or something then for concrete objections.

hahahaha wtf

Please never change.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 12:49:14 PM »

I thought she was okay on the Daily Show - as it stands with her own show its... hard to watch.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »

i am quite surprised, how many people to my left and right agree how horrible they find her kind of comedy.

but to be fair...without a general opinion of jon stewart's legacy anyway as a comparison point, hard to judge. Wink + Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »

Tbf from what I've seen she is way better than Seth Meyers.

It's really weird how political chat shows are in the US. I can't imagine Graham Norton opining about his thoughts on Tory policy or whatever.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »

Tbf from what I've seen she is way better than Seth Meyers.

It's really weird how political chat shows are in the US. I can't imagine Graham Norton opining about his thoughts on Tory policy or whatever.

that's not a high bar. Seth Meyers has been a disaster, and I say that, and I say that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies