YAF threaten to sue UC Berkeley in Ann Coulter First Amendment Case
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:26:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  YAF threaten to sue UC Berkeley in Ann Coulter First Amendment Case
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: YAF threaten to sue UC Berkeley in Ann Coulter First Amendment Case  (Read 3704 times)
EnglishPete

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »

Quote "Late Thursday night, Young America’s Foundation put UC-Berkeley on notice that their attempts to deny the First Amendment rights of students will not be tolerated any longer.

In a letter to Berkeley’s Vice Chancellor Stephen Sutton, counsel representing Young America’s Foundation and the Berkeley College Republicans issued one final warning: Respect students’ rights by ensuring that Ann Coulter is allowed to speak on campus April 27 or relief will be sought in federal court, including claims for injunctive relief and damages.

Berkeley has until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 21 to confirm their cooperation with Coulter’s planned speech organized by Young America’s Foundation and hosted by the Berkeley College Republicans." End Quote
http://www.yaf.org/news/yaf-berkeley-honor-first-amendment/

Excerpt from the letter

“In each of the three recent conservative speech censorship instances, UC Berkeley impermissibly has allowed a ‘heckler’s veto’ to suppress the free speech rights of speakers properly invited by recognized student groups, and in each case, did so after first attempting to bully the students out of pursuing their quest to hear these alternative voices by piling on requirement after unconstitutional requirement – ‘security fees,’ inconvenient hours, inconvenient locations, attendance restrictions, and more,”

EnglishPete

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »

lol what are you, a court cuck? can't defend your rights with your own hands?
Why use just their hands. Won't the University allow Coulter's supporters to go onto campus with firearms to defend themselves?

Or are they selectively enforcing the law and their own rules? Are the University authorities, along with the head of the campus police, the head of the city police and the mayor deliberately setting up a situation where laws and rules (and sometimes also arbritrary new rules) are enforced strictly on speakers and groups they are politically opposed to whilst at the same time deliberately failing to enforce rules and laws on those who would use disruption, intimidation and violence against those same speakers and groups?

Because if its the latter then you have a situation where authorities are deliberately using politically selective enforcement of the law to encourage violent disruption of events which they can then use as an excuse for a "heckler's veto" on who they allow to speak on campus.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:20:03 AM »

It's amazing that a man like Ann Coulter, who has written countless articles calling for violence against journalists, politicians, and other groups whom he disagrees with, is now scared of violence directed against him.

Just lol at corporate funded hacks like YAF
While I agree that YAF, College Republicans, et al. are terrible, remember the outrage here when I called Chelsea Manning "he" as an expression of contempt? I wonder where those people are now.
EnglishPete

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »

It's amazing that a man like Ann Coulter, who has written countless articles calling for violence against journalists, politicians, and other groups whom he disagrees with, is now scared of violence directed against him.

While I agree that YAF, College Republicans, et al. are terrible, remember the outrage here when I called Chelsea Manning "he" as an expression of contempt? I wonder where those people are now.
Its OK. Misogynistic abuse is fine if aimed at women on the right.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »

Can we have a "English Pete reposts Prison Planet content" general thread? We don't need a new thread every time there's an update in the story only you care about.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »

Can we have a "English Pete reposts Prison Planet content" general thread? We don't need a new thread every time there's an update in the story only you care about.
This story makes the left look bad, please don't post anymore like it.

EnglishPete

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »

EnglishPete

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »

If you aren't interested in reading threads on this topic then don't read this this thread. No need to add to the thread with flame baiting.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »

Hoh hoh ya got me.

Not sure how it "Makes the left look bad" that they won't let the leathery troll speak at Berkeley.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »

Yeah, not letting the woman who rants about racist sh**t all day makes the left look so bad. 
EnglishPete

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »

I remember that this happened with the 'Fake hate crime' (which I've just bumped for reference so you can see) where a couple of leftists started flame baiting and when a mod threatened to close the thread if flame baiting continued one of the flame baiters then demanded that she do exactly that.

In other words when someone is saying something you don't want people to hear then cause trouble and/or disruption and then suggest an end to the speaking as a solution for the disruption.

Where on earth would people get the idea to use tactics like that? Berkeley perhaps?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »

What is wrong with YAF and the College Republicans (I have worked closely with both in my life)?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »

I remember that this happened with the 'Fake hate crime' (which I've just bumped for reference so you can see) where a couple of leftists started flame baiting and when a mod threatened to close the thread if flame baiting continued one of the flame baiters then demanded that she do exactly that.

In other words when someone is saying something you don't want people to hear then cause trouble and/or disruption and then suggest an end to the speaking as a solution for the disruption.

Where on earth would people get the idea to use tactics like that? Berkeley perhaps?

Wrong.
Your comment above is a bunch of double-talk babbling.
Your previous thread should have been closed because of its stupidity, in that you were saying that trump related hatred was "imaginary" (non-existent and only in people's head).
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 02:03:18 PM »

I'm just gonna pop in here to extol the virtues of having EP on iggy.

True breath of fresh air, just gonna say.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2017, 02:21:16 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Wrong.
Your comment above is a bunch of double-talk babbling.
Your previous thread should have been closed because of its stupidity, in that you were saying that trump related hatred was "imaginary" (non-existent and only in people's head).

Would you mind not flame baiting please?

EnglishPete related "Flame Baiting Surge'. Real or imagined ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »

I'm just gonna pop in here to extol the virtues of having EP on iggy.

True breath of fresh air, just gonna say.
and yet you go into random threads started by him....weird
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »

also, FYI, Bernie thinks the leathery old racist should speak.  But then again, he's not a small minded douche nozzle that can't think for himself like antifa and the people that defend them.
EnglishPete

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »

Lawsuit has just been filed

"Ann Coulter‏Verified account @AnnCoulter  2h2 hours ago
More
 Our lawsuit against Berkeley was just filed. Demands appropriate & safe venue for my speech THIS THURSDAY + damages http://bit.ly/2oYssG8 "
https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/856564736778829824

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2syzMZYL9R7NFZ3S2x2OUtsWlE/view
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »

The university rescheduled it a few days later for security reasons. This is going to get thrown out of court.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »

UC Berkeley is a cesspool, but it's no surprise since it's California. If these people actually cared about what Coulter speaks about, they would move to a swing state.
EnglishPete

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »

The university rescheduled it a few days later for security reasons. This is going to get thrown out of court.

Quote "The other is a potential physical confrontation. Leftist activists on and off campus, including a loosely organized group calling itself Antifa, for “anti-fascist,” are threatening to do anything they can to block Ms. Coulter from speaking. Right-wing supporters are gathering support on Facebook, making plans to come to the campus to defend her.

“Our basic thing is to send a loud and clear message that this is not acceptable on our campus,” said Hoku Jeffrey, a Berkeley graduate and national organizer for By Any Means Necessary, a group that took part in previous demonstrations that turned violent. “We will not tolerate anti-immigrant bigotry or bigotry of any kind, which is the only thing she’s here to do.”" End Quote
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/21/us/berkeley-ann-coulter-speech.html

Ann Coulter‏Verified account @AnnCoulter  2h2 hours ago
More
Ann Coulter Retweeted Anntensity
Nice day for an outdoor speech at Berkeley.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/856585007053258753

Ann Coulter Retweeted
 Virginia Dare‏ @vdare  3h3 hours ago
More
 BULLETIN: Law On Coulter's Side At Berkeley--But Left Bringing Guns; etc.  (65 ITEMS)  https://goo.gl/Cp7L72
https://twitter.com/vdare/status/856570118582796288

Shane Bauer‏Verified account @shane_bauer  20h20 hours ago
More
 On 4chan, people are talking about flying to Berkeley from around the country in support of Ann Coulter on Thursday. Bringing helmets, etc.

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/856319971768520704
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »

UC Berkeley is a cesspool, but it's no surprise since it's California ....

Interesting to see that someone from D.C., is calling-out (describing) other locations as "a cesspool."
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »

also, FYI, Bernie thinks the leathery old racist should speak.  But then again, he's not a small minded douche nozzle that can't think for himself like antifa and the people that defend them.

"Bernie thinks a leftist should do this" isn't going to work in court. Nor is it a good argument in general.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »

"Bernie thinks a leftist should do this" isn't going to work in court. Nor is it a good argument in general.
If a Bernie supporter is for shutting down speech they don't agree with I suspect they might not know Bernie (like all good hearted people) disagrees with such silliness.  It's good to inform them of such.  Not meant to be an argument, no idea what the first part of your strange post is going on about.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »

the fact alone that the right is able to talk about this stuff for weeks should show even the most radical or intolerant leftie, that they can't win this fight and shouldn't even try to do it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies