France 2017: Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:05:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France 2017: Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: France 2017: Results Thread  (Read 141487 times)
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 23, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »

Just personally, a depressingly sad night for Hamon whom I was always impressed by, but four months ago I was sure that I would have to support Fillon with a closed nose, so there's a little hope.  
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »

Macron wins Guadeloupe.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:54:33 PM »

Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »

Mélenchon wins St Pierre and Miquelon off the coast of Canada
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »

Haven't even seen Hamon win any communes yet... Dupont Aignan got a few up north though.

Hamon won a bunch of heavily indigenous communes on Nouvelle-Caledonie. Doubt he wins any in Metropolitan France, though. His best shot was in Finistere, where he's from, but he's only getting mid-teens in his best communes in Finistere so far, well behind Macron and Melenchon.

Do you have a map of New Caledonia? I can't find any results for it yet.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 02:30:48 PM by The Matryoshka Candidate »

Haven't even seen Hamon win any communes yet... Dupont Aignan got a few up north though.

Hamon won a bunch of heavily indigenous communes on Nouvelle-Caledonie. Doubt he wins any in Metropolitan France, though. His best shot was in Finistere, where he's from, but he's only getting mid-teens in his best communes in Finistere so far, well behind Macron and Melenchon.

Do you have a map of New Caledonia? I can't find any results for it yet.
http://graphics.france24.com/resultats-1er-tour-election-presidentielle-2017/

Excellent! Thank you!

Edit:

Thanks to you too!
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 02:49:17 PM by The Matryoshka Candidate »

How come Benoit Hamon did so well in Wallis & Futuna, and what I'm guessing is Rural New Caledonia?  I reckon it involves indigenous peoples rights, but my guess is as good as anyone else's.

Not sure, but it's interesting how well Le Pen did in parts of NC. Could be foretelling of the upcoming independence referendum.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/04/23/french-candidates-focus-new-caledonia-decolonisation-pacific-territory-casts

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The national front is strongly against the referendum and possible independence. The Republicans are against independence as well.

To answer why Hamon did so well:

Republicans and FN combined for about 60% of the vote, with Hamon at about 10%. Only about 57% of New Caledonians voted for a candidate, however. The high abstention rate does make it a bit difficult to draw any conclusions about next year's referendum.

Edit: The Hamon areas have high levels of abstention. Not sure if we can really get anything out of the results at first glance. Next year should be interesting. We might get UN member state #194.

Edit 2: The website/map I've been using for results for NC: Link to map
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »

Weirdly, Lassalle has won a couple of communes on Corse-Sud (and tied with Fillon in a third), which are obviously well outside of the Bearnais/Basque areas. Anyone have any idea why?

Is Lassalle specifically a Basque candidate?
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »

Asked this before but it got buried. What accounts for Le Pen's strength in some of the overseas departments/territories?

New Caledonia - long standing tension between the pro-independence indigenous community, and the loyalist white settlers (who now outnumber the Kanaky)

I didn't know whites were a plurality there now. I'm leaning towards a "Stay with France" prediction for their referendum next year in that case.

Asked this before but it got buried. What accounts for Le Pen's strength in some of the overseas departments/territories?
Mayotte - similar to Guyane, in particular the huge number of illegal immigrants from the Comoros (who make up >60% of the population now). Mayotte is also French because basically everyone who was anti-independence in the Comoros moved there to create a loyalit majority (sort of, it's more complicated than that IRL) and there is a fair amount of antipathy towards the independent Comoran state.

TIL, I'll have to investigate that some more.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »

Le Pen couldn't even win New Caledonia. Glad to see her defeated though. Apparently Macron mentioned something about hoping that NC would stay French. There's a really bad cyclone there right now. I'd bet that will have a bit of pro-Stay effect.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies