2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:00:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 75
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread  (Read 234744 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: January 07, 2018, 01:00:15 AM »
« edited: January 07, 2018, 01:11:49 AM by smoltchanov »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
What do these two years have in common?

Both were very bad for Democrats. Many of whom expected only moderate losses in 2010, and even small gains in 2014. It's enough to read what was written on DKE, for example, immediately before these two election nights. Most of site  "gurus" expectations were precisely as i described above. And then, after bleak results -  usual "f**k this night!", "dumb voters", and so on...
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1126 on: January 07, 2018, 03:29:30 AM »

Democrats outperformed polls in 2011. And of course Virginia and Alabama.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1127 on: January 07, 2018, 03:31:00 AM »

And often polling errors are the opposite to the expected polling error-Corbyn was supposedly overestimated by the polls, but was in fact underestimated, and people thought there'd be a pro-Clinton polling error.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1128 on: January 07, 2018, 03:43:07 AM »

Democrats outperformed polls in 2011. And of course Virginia and Alabama.

In odd years - yes. In midterms - the last time it was  (may be) in 2006, during Iraq war. If Trump begins a war (especially - with weak chances for rapid victory) - then sure. If not - not so sure.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1129 on: January 07, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »

Both were very bad for Democrats. Many of whom expected only moderate losses in 2010, and even small gains in 2014. It's enough to read what was written on DKE, for example, immediately before these two election nights. Most of site  "gurus" expectations were precisely as i described above. And then, after bleak results -  usual "f**k this night!", "dumb voters", and so on...
You missed his point, Obama was in the WH during those two years and the last time the dems did well in a midterm was when Bush was in the WH. The point being midterms are bad for the party in the WH which is rep right now
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1130 on: January 07, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »

Bush had an approval rating in the high 30s approval rating prior to the 2006 midterms(http://news.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx). Trump's current approval rating is basically at a similar level in the high 30s right now(https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/, https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html#!) And Presidents tend to get less popular in their second year, not more.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1131 on: January 07, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »

You missed his point, Obama was in the WH during those two years and the last time the dems did well in a midterm was when Bush was in the WH. The point being midterms are bad for the party in the WH which is rep right now

I know all that. Without Trump Democrats wouldn't have any chances, and could expect monumental losses in Senate. So, Trump is a "Democratic blessing" to some extent. And still, for example, minority turnout usually falls substantially in midterms, and it's this turnout which became so important for Democrats in the last decade, that one can speak about some sort of "addiction". Without it Democrats have no chances at all in most elections.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1132 on: January 07, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »

Trump's base also may be less likely to turn out though(and minorities turned out in Alabama).
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2018-could-be-the-year-of-the-angry-white-college-graduate/
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1133 on: January 07, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »

May be. But i don't think that Alabama is good example. Republicans will NOT have Roy Moore in every state. Most likely - they will not have even one "Roy Moore" among their candidates. He is unique. Only he could lose a Senate seat in Alabama for Republicans. Mad dog with "R" after name could win it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1134 on: January 07, 2018, 10:29:24 AM »

May be. But i don't think that Alabama is good example. Republicans will NOT have Roy Moore in every state. Most likely - they will not have even one "Roy Moore" among their candidates. He is unique. Only he could lose a Senate seat in Alabama for Republicans. Mad dog with "R" after name could win it.

Most Republicans wouldn't have won by around 30 points like Trump did, so even if they won by 20 or 15 points in a normal race that's still a 10-15 swing against them and would indicate a pro-Democrat environment.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1135 on: January 07, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »

And Democrats didn't have Martha Coakley in every state in 2010.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1136 on: January 07, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »

Coakley is simply bad politician. That happens. Moore is absolutely unique.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1137 on: January 07, 2018, 10:39:46 AM »

They also had Ed Gillespie in Virginia and he suffered the biggest Republican loss in 30 years.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1138 on: January 07, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »

Republicans have the biggest Roy Moore of them all at the top of their ticket, even if he's not literally on the ballot.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1139 on: January 07, 2018, 10:58:16 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2018, 11:00:44 AM by smoltchanov »

Anyone else kinda annoyed by Russian moderates who love "mavericks" trying to preach to everyone else about American politics

Who forces you to read my posts? Ignore lists exist. BTW,  i would be only glad if you would know as much about Russian politics as i know about American. As long as this is NOT "the site for Americans only", blocking other based on their geographic location - i am free to express my opinions, and agree or disagree with other's arguments. As i mentioned sometimes - my friend, who is University professor in North Carolina, was of very high opinion about my knowledge))))). And my American relatives still ask my opinion before going to vote))))
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1140 on: January 07, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »

Republicans have the biggest Roy Moore of them all at the top of their ticket, even if he's not literally on the ballot.

We will see. IF he will be as bad as Roy Moore was (so far - close, but - not yet), and IF Democrats will be able to nationalize all races - then, may be...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1141 on: January 07, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »

We will see. IF he will be as bad as Roy Moore was (so far - close, but - not yet), and IF Democrats will be able to nationalize all races - then, may be...

There is no if. After 2006 all midterms have been nationalized.
It's the norm in the era of internet.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1142 on: January 07, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »

All of the congressional generic ballot polling data per The Roper Center going back to 1963:

Obvious Blue Wave is obvious
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1143 on: January 07, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »

Anyone else kinda annoyed by Russian moderates who love "mavericks" trying to preach to everyone else about American politics

Yes, I have on my ignore list. He says some pretty awful stuff and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s being paid to troll online on sites like this.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1144 on: January 07, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

All of the congressional generic ballot polling data per The Roper Center going back to 1963:

Obvious Blue Wave is obvious

Jesus, that post-Watergate reach to 70.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1145 on: January 08, 2018, 12:49:05 AM »

Yes, I have on my ignore list. He says some pretty awful stuff and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s being paid to troll online on sites like this.

You judge by yourself. Alas, i am not paid even a cent. And i would only welcome being on ignore list of people like you. For me it's a badge of honor....
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1146 on: January 08, 2018, 12:20:41 PM »

You judge by yourself. Alas, i am not paid even a cent. And i would only welcome being on ignore list of people like you. For me it's a badge of honor....

I'll make your day, then.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #1147 on: January 08, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »

CA45: Katie Porter raises over $266,000 in the 4th Quarter. Over $500,000 cash on hand.

https://twitter.com/CA45_voter/status/950390318330871808
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1148 on: January 08, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »

WI-06: Dan Kohl raised $329K in Q4, ends the year with $600K cash on hand.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/08/glenn-grotherman-challenger-dan-kohl-reports-raising-329-000-fourth-quarter/1013957001/
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1149 on: January 08, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »

VA-02: Former Navy Veteran Elaine Luria is now officially in. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/retired-navy-commander-to-take-on-former-seal-for-house-seat/2018/01/08/8eae68be-f4a9-11e7-9af7-a50bc3300042_story.html?utm_term=.fc43c381d51a
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies