Liberal churches report surge in participation in reaction to Trump presidency (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:27:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Liberal churches report surge in participation in reaction to Trump presidency (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Liberal churches report surge in participation in reaction to Trump presidency  (Read 2355 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: April 19, 2017, 06:14:22 AM »

This sort of article pops up from time to the, and my answer is always the same: I'll believe it when I see it.

Religions that do well tend to demand more from their members. I.e. there has to be reason to not sleep in on Sunday. Obviously PCUSA's version of demanding more is going to be different from the LDS or SBC versions, but liberal Protestantism doesn't seem interested in that at all.

Take the quotes from the article for example. There's plenty of social justice and opposition to Trump, but no Christ crucified. What are those churches providing that can't be obtained from a secular group? What's keeping those people there if Trump goes down in flames in 2020?

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »

Give it a year or two, and things will change back.

"Real Christian"'s hatred of "liberal" churches is truly strange.  I don't think Jesus would hate 'em!

Liberal churches tend to be cesspools of hypocrisy, materialism, and selfishness which dilute Christianity into just another worldly social club interested primarily in virtue signalling and appeasement.

Conservative churches do this all the time.

I'm not saying that liberal churches are without fault on those things, but the prosperity preachers and Jerry Falwells of the world have been far more detrimental to Western Christianity, and the moral bedrock of civilization as a whole, than any John Shelby Spong-esque figure.  When the postmodernists and the fundamentalists and the materialists are the ones who set the moral and religious dialogue, this sadly is the end result.  The world is falling further from God's grace, but not for what the fundamentalists believe is causing that.

I have no great love for the Osteens or the Falwells of the world either. Their problems are similar, but slightly different from those of liberal Protestants.

To be fair to Evangelicals, their movement is much more fragmented and their government much more congregational than Mainlines or Catholics. Russell Moore can condemn Joel Osteen all he wants, but he can't actually do anything substantial about him. Contrast this with the Mainlines, who keep ordaining and supporting ministers who, to paraphrase Nathan, can't make it through the Creed without crossing their fingers, despite having the power to stop it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:13 PM »

Most mainline Protestant churches are nothing more than social clubs where people throw around vaguely Christian language now and then to feel good about themselves and virtue signal. Some are even borderline agnostic are just places where normal people who are freaked out by hand waving and "fire and brimstone" preaching go to share their more private, reserved faiths in God and Jesus with each other ... they also occasionally use common sense to see some Biblical stories as allegory and don't care if the psychos down the street at the evangelical "church" think they're less Christian for this basic level of intelligence and non-cultish attitudes.

Always rich when these much newer evangelical religions trash Christian faiths that have been around for so much longer because they're not weird enough.

EDIT: I won't delete anything, as I guess I typed it once so I had to have sort of meant it ... but I'm sorry if I overreacted there.  It's just really annoying to have anyone else tell you that your denomination's teachings which you've grown up with in your family for a long time or that your personal relationship with God is any less legitimate than someone else's, especially when Mainline Protestantism has been the traditionally dominant belief system in this country for decades prior and isn't some strange new twist on Christianity (if anything, that's evangelicals, especially new age ones).

The problem is, that the institutions have been traditionally dominant, but the belief systems currently holding sway in them are new. There is a lot of talk in the PCA and ACNA about how "I didn't leave X, X left me". There's been so much change in mainline theology that many of those denomination's founders and early leaders would be unwelcome now. It's hard to imagine J. Gresham Machen for example ever getting ordained in today's PCUSA.

From a confessional Protestant point of view, the pedigree of Schori and Spong is only marginally older than some Pentecostal rolling around on the floor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies