Liberal churches report surge in participation in reaction to Trump presidency (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:16:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Liberal churches report surge in participation in reaction to Trump presidency (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Liberal churches report surge in participation in reaction to Trump presidency  (Read 2338 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: April 19, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »

Give it a year or two, and things will change back.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »

"Real Christian"'s hatred of "liberal" churches is truly strange.  I don't think Jesus would hate 'em!

Liberal churches tend to be cesspools of hypocrisy, materialism, and selfishness which dilute Christianity into just another worldly social club interested primarily in virtue signalling and appeasement. They lack all intellectual rigor, all philosophical backbone, and all moral strength, giving away their entire raison d'etre in favor of easy comfort and being liked by secular society. They don't actually believe in sacrifice as an ideal. I respect evangelicals and restorationists far more than liberal Protestants. Christianity can do so much better.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »

"Real Christian"'s hatred of "liberal" churches is truly strange.  I don't think Jesus would hate 'em!

Liberal churches tend to be cesspools of hypocrisy, materialism, and selfishness which dilute Christianity into just another worldly social club interested primarily in virtue signalling and appeasement.

Conservative churches do this all the time.

I'm not saying that liberal churches are without fault on those things, but the prosperity preachers and Jerry Falwells of the world have been far more detrimental to Western Christianity, and the moral bedrock of civilization as a whole, than any John Shelby Spong-esque figure.  When the postmodernists and the fundamentalists and the materialists are the ones who set the moral and religious dialogue, this sadly is the end result.  The world is falling further from God's grace, but not for what the fundamentalists believe is causing that.

I have no great love for the Osteens or the Falwells of the world either. Their problems are similar, but slightly different from those of liberal Protestants.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »

"Real Christian"'s hatred of "liberal" churches is truly strange.  I don't think Jesus would hate 'em!

Liberal churches tend to be cesspools of hypocrisy, materialism, and selfishness which dilute Christianity into just another worldly social club interested primarily in virtue signalling and appeasement.

I'm not saying that liberal churches are without fault on those things, but the prosperity preachers and Jerry Falwells of the world have been far more detrimental to Western Christianity, and the moral bedrock of civilization as a whole, than any John Shelby Spong-esque figure.  When the postmodernists and the fundamentalists and the materialists are the ones who set the moral and religious dialogue, this sadly is the end result.  The world is falling further from God's grace, but not for what the fundamentalists believe is causing that.

Not to mention the fact that Evangelicals endorsed a candidate who is in every respect antithetical to all the "values" they're supposed to care about. Then again, so did RI... Roll Eyes

Uh, I voted for Kasich in the primaries and Maturen in the general, so...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »

"Real Christian"'s hatred of "liberal" churches is truly strange.  I don't think Jesus would hate 'em!

I'm not saying that liberal churches are without fault on those things, but the prosperity preachers and Jerry Falwells of the world have been far more detrimental to Western Christianity, and the moral bedrock of civilization as a whole, than any John Shelby Spong-esque figure.  When the postmodernists and the fundamentalists and the materialists are the ones who set the moral and religious dialogue, this sadly is the end result.  The world is falling further from God's grace, but not for what the fundamentalists believe is causing that.

Not to mention the fact that Evangelicals endorsed a candidate who is in every respect antithetical to all the "values" they're supposed to care about. Then again, so did RI... Roll Eyes

Uh, I voted for Kasich in the primaries and Maturen in the general, so...

Oh? I remember you saying you planned to vote for T***p at some point. Did you change your mind?

I waffled on the matter quite a bit but ultimately didn't vote for Trump.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2017, 11:17:28 AM by RI »

I have always held that traditional Lutheran view of "if God didn't want us to use our brains, he wouldn't have given us them."  Questioning things isn't bad.  

There are plenty of non-Mainline churches which would agree with this statement.

I find it perfectly logical that some of the Bible's stories were either 1) put in there to teach a lesson and were not grounded in any type of historical truth

Hey look, another thing Catholics also teach.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies