The Future of VA-5
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:23:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Future of VA-5
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Future of VA-5  (Read 1185 times)
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »
« edited: April 18, 2017, 01:25:06 PM by VirginiaModerate »

Discussion about the future of VA-5. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia%27s_5th_congressional_district)

This district has gone from R+5 to R+6 (http://cookpolitical.com/file/Arranged_by_State_District.pdf) and is fairly stable but some people have projected that more growth in Charlottesville and to a certain extent retiring NY/NJ/NE transplants (personally have seen this trend) would make the district more liberal. Is VA-5 a rural, Republican district for the foreseeable future or does it go back to R+2 or 3 and eventually tossup?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »

The northern parts of this district are too exurban to be considered part of NOVA, and I'm pretty sure a lot of the growth happening in Fauquier County and further south is mostly white flight. Also, while Central VA isn't becoming more Republican at the same rate as Appalachia, it's not getting any better for Democrats. Charlottesville just doesn't cast enough vote to overcome the rest of the district.

I suppose the right kind of Democrat could make it competitive considering that Garrett isn't entrenched, but none have emerged as of now. I wish Perriello gave it another shot in 2018 instead of running for Governor.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »

The future involves Charlottesville being dumped into the 6th district.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

The northern parts of this district are too exurban to be considered part of NOVA, and I'm pretty sure a lot of the growth happening in Fauquier County and further south is mostly white flight. Also, while Central VA isn't becoming more Republican at the same rate as Appalachia, it's not getting any better for Democrats. Charlottesville just doesn't cast enough vote to overcome the rest of the district.

I suppose the right kind of Democrat could make it competitive considering that Garrett isn't entrenched, but none have emerged as of now. I wish Perriello gave it another shot in 2018 instead of running for Governor.

I'd gladly trade keeping this seat in Republican hands for getting Perriello as VA Governor.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »

I could see that to dilute it from an R+13 to maybe an R+5 or so. VA-5 would then be R+10 depending on the lines, maybe throwing Powhatan and a little of Chesterfield in VA-5? The next round of redistricting will be fun.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »

I could see that to dilute it from an R+13 to maybe an R+5 or so. VA-5 would then be R+10 depending on the lines, maybe throwing Powhatan and a little of Chesterfield in VA-5? The next round of redistricting will be fun.
It is heavily likely no one will control redistricting next turn in VA
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »

I doubt VA will have an ind commission by then. Right now they have a body that does the work sends it to the leg. Since the VA leg is Rep I doubt any real movement on a 100% independent commission will happen.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »

I doubt VA will have an ind commission by then. Right now they have a body that does the work sends it to the leg. Since the VA leg is Rep I doubt any real movement on a 100% independent commission will happen.

It is quite possible the State Senate flips in 2019, potentially forcing fair maps with a Democratic governor.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »

It is quite possible the State Senate flips in 2019, potentially forcing fair maps with a Democratic governor.

I would love to see that again as a check on the HoD. Good chance.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 03:03:02 PM »

Is the HoD flipping out of the question?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »

Is the HoD flipping out of the question?

Currently Republicans control 67 of the 100 seats in the HoD. So, pretty hard. Yet, not only were a majority of these seats carried by Hillary, 24 or so were within 15-20 points during 2015. So, I think there is a real shot of claiming at least a couple this time around, especially with Trump so unpopular (and his despisement among many Virginians).
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »

Albemarle/Charlottesville won't ever be enough to carry a district.    Pretty much everything else in the area won't be moving to the Dems anytime soon.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

Orly?

The GOP can just wait until 2022 to perform Congressional redistricting.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »

Orly?

The GOP can just wait until 2022 to perform Congressional redistricting.

The State Senate would be up for election in 2023.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies