A Different Big Accomplishment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:34:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Big Accomplishment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: A Different Big Accomplishment  (Read 10639 times)
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 10:56:13 AM »

They're going to exceed what the IRL Rs had.
DevinM626
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »

Just stumbled across this and I'm a bit confused by Harkin's opposition to the Single-Payer bill; he's spoken positively of Cuba's Single-Payer system in the past and in OTL, he voted yes on a Single-Payer proposal that Brown and Sanders put up for a vote on the HELP Committee (the three of them plus Merkley were the only ones who voted for it, fwiw)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 11:33:00 PM »

Just stumbled across this and I'm a bit confused by Harkin's opposition to the Single-Payer bill; he's spoken positively of Cuba's Single-Payer system in the past and in OTL, he voted yes on a Single-Payer proposal that Brown and Sanders put up for a vote on the HELP Committee (the three of them plus Merkley were the only ones who voted for it, fwiw)

After ObamaCare failed to pass, Health Care reform was declared a dead issue by Obama and top Democrats in the House and Senate, so as a committee chair, Harkin can't really support the single payer bill without risking losing his chairmanship.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »

Moving along to the Senate, we start in Arizona, where it is projected that the Incumbent Senator John McCain will win another term. His biggest battle was of course in the primary with Mr. Hayworth, so no surprise here.

McCain (R): 59.6%
Glassman (D): 33%
Others: 7.4%

In Iowa, another six years for Mr. Chuck Grassley.

Grassley (R): 65.1%
Conlin (D): 32.8%
Others: 2.1%

In Utah, an easy win for Mike Lee.

Lee (R): 62.7%
Granato (D): 31%
Others: 6.3%

And, of course, too close to call in Nevada, where the world awaits the fate of Majority Leader Harry Reid.

In the other uncalled races:

WI (14% in):

Johnson (R): 58%
Feingold (D): 41%
Others: 1%

CO (25% in):

Bennet (D): 50%
Norton (R): 46%
Others: 4%

IL (28% in):

Giannoulias (D): 54%
Kirk (R): 40%
Others: 6%

PA (47% in):

Sestak (D): 53%
Toomey (R): 47%

NY-S (16% in):

Gillibrand (D): 60%
Trump (R): 38%
Others: 2%

Democrats: 44 (-4)
Republicans: 42 (+4)
Independents: 2

----

Moving along to the gubernatorial races, it is too early to call in Arizona, though the Republican Jan Brewer is in the lead.

In Iowa, also too early to call, with the Republican Terry Branstad in the lead.

In Nevada, also too early to call, with the Republican Brian Sandoval in the lead.

In Utah, we can make a projection. Republican Gary Herbert wins the governorship in Utah:

Herbert (R): 64.1%
Corron (D): 31.9%
Others: 4%

We can also call the sixth republican gain of the night, in Pennsylvania, where the Republican Tom Corbett has been elected!

47% in: Corbett 51-49

Final:

Corbett (R): 55.3%
Onorato (D): 44.7%

Here are the latest numbers from the other uncalled races:

Vermont (48% in): Dubie (R) 50%, Shumlin (D) 48%
South Carolina (54% in): Haley (R) 50%, Sheheen (D) 49%
Georgia (49% in): Deal (R) 58%, Barnes (D) 40%
Ohio (47% in): Kasich (R) 49%, Strickland (D) 47%
Florida (85% in): Scott (R) 49%, Sink (D) 49%
Illinois (28% in): Quinn (D) 55%, Brady (R) 39%
Connecticut (35% in): Foley (R) 53%, Malloy (D) 46%
Rhode Island (38% in): Chafee (I) 34%, Robitaille (R) 34%, Caprio (D) 23%, Block (Moderate) 8%
Massachusetts (56% in): Patrick (D) 48%, Baker (R) 43%, Cahill (I) 8%
Maine (37% in): LePage (R) 39%, Cutler (I) 37%, Mitchell (D) 20%
Minnesota (22% in): Dayton (D) 50%, Emmer (R) 37%, Horner (I) 12%
Wisconsin (14% in): Walker (R) 58%, Barrett (D) 41%
New Mexico (16% in): Martinez (R) 57%, Denish (D) 42%

Republicans: 17 (+6)
Democrats: 12 (-6)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2021, 10:39:46 PM »

Olbermann: Let's begin the hour at Harry Reid headquarters with our correspondent Ed Schultz. Mr. Schultz, the Nevada race is too close to call per our decision desk, but what are you hearing on the ground?

Schultz: Too close to call, certainly, but there continues to be a real quiet confidence here, perhaps even turning into a calm whisper. The lines are still there in the core of Las Vegas and they believe it is full of their voters. They do know that Angle will run up the score in these rural areas but there continues to be a real sense of confidence here.

Olbermann: So, looking at tonight so far - the House margin of 214 to 144 at this hour, obviously that will come down once California comes in, but still, all indications are that the GOP will be able to control the House by a notable margin - on the strength of a tea party brand that will now have to work with two established parties to get things done. How does this work?

Schultz: Well, one thing that the tea party has never been clear on is job creation and outsourcing. It seems like that's off limits when you talk to a tea party candidate. This change has come tonight because of lack of progress as the American people see it - but, whoever might win tonight that's a tea partier - what are you going to do to create jobs? Are you giving incentives to small businesses? Because Obama's been trying to do that and is getting blocked. So back to this three letter word, JOB? Do you have one, can you keep it, and is it safe from outsourcing? That's the key question.

Now with the House - if - and it is extremely likely - the GOP is able to take over - this means that the corporate money is going to be around for the next election cycle - the democrats aren't going to be able to match this kind of funding. The fundraising for 2012 is going to start tomorrow. And that's why it's going to be important for the soul of the democratic party to get a victory here tonight in Nevada. If the GOP takes out Harry Reid, which would be their second victory over a democratic leadership figure in six years - that would really shake the core of the democratic party.

Olbermann: Thank you. And to back up part of what was just said - 29% of voters reporting a layoff in their own family has occurred during this recession per our exit polling. That's part of what's fueling what's going on across this country. And now let's go to our correspondent Kevin Tibbles - on site at another key location - Giannoulias Headquarters in Illinois. So, Tibbles - what are you hearing at this point - are they confident the early lead will hold?

Tibbles: Well, they are encouraged, but cautiously so. There is a considerable amount of Chicago in these numbers and not necessarily a lot from other areas of the state. Certainly Giannoulias is not going to win by 14 points. But they are hopeful that Kirk, who is seen as more of a moderate, has not generated strong turnout in conservative areas of the state that will come in over the course of the night. But regardless this will be down to the wire and the governor's race will be as well, and the campaigns here are prepared for what may be a long legal battle.

Olbermann: This was an interesting race as the immigration bill didn't have a ton of effect. Kirk's opposition to it was not nearly as fierce as some of what we saw in other states. Are you seeing any benefit to either side from that not being so much of a focus?

Tibbles: Well it has really intensified the focus on jobs and away from the foreign stage near and far. But I'm not sure there's too much difference either way in terms of the state of this race regardless of the environment. Republicans landed a star nominee in Mr. Kirk and this will be a marquee race as a result.

Olbermann: Thank you. We have a call to make now, for the Governor's Race in New Mexico - Susana Martinez picks up the seat for the GOP:

23% in: Martinez 58-41

Final:

Martinez 53.7%
Denish 45.2%
Other 1.1%

Republicans: 18 (+7)
Democrats: 12 (-7)

We'll be back after the break with interviews with Michele Bachmann and Claire McCaskill.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2021, 11:34:47 PM »

lol
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2021, 07:53:34 PM »

Matthews: We continue with Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, who has been re-elected tonight. Ms. Bachmann, it's been so long since you've been on my program, and I have to ask you, if the Republicans take control of the House of Representatives, will you seek to use subpoena powers to investigate democratic members of Congress for Unamericanism?

Bachmann: I couldn't hear the question exactly...got a very happy audience out here, you said something about the Subpoena power?

Matthews: Yes, if the Republicans get control of the Congress, it looks like you will, will you do what you said on my show some time ago and use the subpoena power to investigate the democratic members of Congress for Unamericanism?

Bachmann: Well I think the first thing we're going to do is try to set the economy in order and bring back the jobs! That's what people are talking about, you've talked about it tonight, people are desperately looking for a job! And we have to make sure that no one suffers a tax increase and repeal the disastrous immigration bill and Dodd-Frank! So I'm urging Speaker Pelosi, this lame duck session, to see the overwhelming message coming from the American People and to not raise our taxes, stop the out of control spending and get our jobs back. So I hope that during the lame duck session we'll have an extension of all the current tax policy because the very sad story is that a minute after midnight on January 1st, every taxpayer will see a dramatic increase in taxes. No one can afford that right now. We need to listen to what the people have been saying and do what they're asking us to do.

Matthews: Well your colleague Mr. Issa who will chair the Oversight Committee, has said he will use the subpoena power to investigate democratic members of congress for unamerican activities. Will you support that?

Bachmann: Well, the plan I've been talking about this election is really 5 things and I would encourage this to be the agenda in 2011 and it's very simple. Number one, keep the current tax policy so no one has increased taxes. Number two, we need to ensure ObamaCare stays dead and squash any future attempt at so called health care reform such as the atrocious single payer proposal, Number three, we need to repeal the disastrous immigration bill and fully secure the united states border, Number four, we need to repeal Dodd-Frank, and Number five, we have to make sure we don't see a huge increase in our energy taxes. Those are the five things that will satisfy the american people and inject certainty back into the economy.

Matthews: Well let me ask you something are you hypnotized tonight? Because no matter what I ask you you give the same answer?

Bachmann: Well I think the American People are the ones that are speaking up tonight. We're coming out of our trance and we're coming out of our nightmare! I imagine the thrill of tonight may not be reaching you in that studio but the people are thrilled out here with the results so far!

Matthews: Well your signholder has already addressed that issue but someday we'll have you back on my show and ask you about those investigations for unamericanism, because I know you will never give up on your principles which is to invesigate everyone for everything!

Bachmann: Which is free markets and respecting the wishes of our founders

Matthews: Well thank you Congresswoman Bachmann, who seems to be in a trance, but we'll hand it back to you, Keith.

Maddow: Can we talk about what they're trying to do there with that sign? They're trying to say MSNBC is in the tank and NBC is in the tank for Obama, that's what they're trying to say.

Matthews: That's an ad hominem but the real question is these people like Michele Bachmann and Donald Trump that are going around making these extreme statements. With Donald Trump you have the wall with Mexico and the Wall with Canada thing. With Bachmann, she said on my program that her colleagues, right across the aisle, are going to be investigated McCarthy style for anti-american attitudes, that was the statement. So she either means it, or she doesn't, or she's being irresponsible. And so I tried to hold her accountable there. And she didn't answer the question, she did seem trance-like there. Every question I put to her was just irrelevant.

Olbermann: I think you did give her the benefit of the doubt with the word hypnotized and we'll leave it at that. Let's go to Chuck Todd for a moment here on the New York Special.

23% in:

Gillibrand 57.95%
Trump 40.03%
Other 2.02%

Todd: Yes you see the map filling in here and if you are Gillibrand you are looking at this and noting that at this point it is not a clean sweep of upstate for Mr. Trump. Gillibrand is ahead by a few points in Albany and Tompkins, and has a lead of - yes, literally - 37 votes in Clinton County. But if you're Mr. Trump, you're looking at what is so far a lead in the counties containing Buffalo and Syracuse. So a mixed bag upstate.

But come down to NYC and this is the real worry for Gillibrand. First Area of concern is Nassau County, as you can see Mr. Trump is ahead. Staten Island, pretty much as expected, Trump with a very solid lead there. Now you see all that red for Gillibrand in those 4 NYC boroughs, well, look at it closer:

Queens: Trump 36%
Bronx: Trump 17%
Manhattan: Trump 25%
Brooklyn: Trump 30%

You see the clear underperformance for Gillibrand here. Trump approaching 40% of the vote in Queens. His target in Brooklyn was 30% - he's getting it, and may go higher. A quarter of the vote in Manhattan. The Bronx is more typical but is still an improvement for the GOP.

The returns so far are disproportionately from the NYC area so that's why you see the large statewide lead for Gillibrand but it has been narrowing and it will continue to do so. Definitely still too close to call but if I were Axelrod I'd start saying goodbye to your mustache, because it really looks like Trump may pull this off.

Olbermann: Thank you for that information. That race has been and continues to be stunning.

Robinson: For all who say, look at the death of split ticket voting, you just have to look to New York to rebut them. All those voters, including Mr. Trump himself, who went in and voted for Mr. Schumer's landslide re-election, many of them also for Mr. Cuomo's landslide re-election, some of them even voting for the Democratic House Candidates, and then backed Mr. Trump over Ms. Gillibrand - As concerned as we may be about Mr. Trump's potential presence in the Senate, this apparent reduction in partisanship at least in New York could be a good thing for the health of the country.

Sharpton: Perhaps, though I highly doubt candidates split-ticketing their own ballots will become a trend, and Trump did run an unapologetically pro-choice campaign which really caught Gillibrand off guard and changed this race in a way that you really didn't see anywhere else.

Olbermann: Let's go now to Senator Claire McCaskill, who is not up for re-election tonight. Senator, let's look at the big picture first, it's pretty clear now that the GOP will take control of the House, the margin may be up for debate but it's going to happen, so when you look at that, and the Senate, presuming that it does stay in the hands of the Democrats, however narrowly, how on earth will they work together and accomplish things, these next two years?

McCaskill: Well I want to be optimistic, but one thing that is clear is that the Republican Party has put up a no moderates welcome sign, and that makes it hard to get to that common ground and find the compromises on the hard stuff. I do know this - I've listened to the Republicans talk about smaller government and cutting spending, but they have refused to talk about the programs they're gonna cut. And the rhetoric has to match the reality, and that's where it's hard. And I don't know how they can realistically tell the American people they're going to do something about the debt or deficit when they haven't been up front and honest about it.

Olbermann: You must have seen our interview with Congresswoman Blackburn earlier in the evening, where she described herself as in favor of philosophical cuts but couldn't name any specific one. Hold on here, we have two calls coming in. First off, no big surprise given the direction of the night, but Nikki Haley will hold the Governorship in the State of South Carolina.

71% in: Haley 51-47

Final:

Haley (R) 52.4%
Sheheen  (D) 46.1%
Other: 1.5%

Secondly, and this is big, and good news for the Democrats, Deval Patrick has held the Governorship in the state of Massachusetts!

69% in: Patrick 49-42

Final:

Patrick 47.2%
Baker 43.9%
Other 8.9%

Republicans: 19 (+7)
Democrats: 13 (-7)

The questioning will continue with Eugene Robinson

Robinson: Senator, your state is sort of in the middle of the country and Missouri's sort of in the middle of the political spectrum as well - it goes back and forth, so you know, what do you think we should learn from this evening, what should the democratic party take away?

McCaskill: Well first let me compliment Robin Carnahan, she's an incredibly strong leader, and she joins a bunch of us that have suffered tough statewide losses, including the man projected to win tonight, Mr. Blunt. So Robin is going to be still be around in the state for a long long time and I think the values that she talked about in this campaign will continue to resonate in Missouri.

But the real sort of disconnect here is I think the difference between what people are feeling at the kitchen table and what they're hearing from Washington. We've gotta communicate at that kitchen table. We cut small business taxes, and most Missourians don't even know it. We need to really take a look in the mirror and realize we need to a better job communicating. We've been trying to help prosperity in this country by cutting taxes, doing some bank regulation, I believe even the immigration bill will prove to be a long-term plus, but I'm not sure those independent voters in Missouri really realize how hard we've been fighting for them.

O'Donnell: Senator McCaskill, it's Lawrence O'Donnell, you talked about the no moderates welcome sign at the Republican Party, what about the Democrats? There's been talk about trying to purge the moderates from the democratic party and get more done with an ideologically coherent group of Democrats.

McCaskill: Well, I couldn't disagree with that more. There is a very strong and vibrant caucus of moderates among the democrats in the Senate and it will remain. We've just added Joe Manchin to that group. And I think we can help promote the values that my party cares about without having to lose the support of the center of this country including the independent voters in the state of Missouri. So I think it would be a big mistake to start demanding ideological purity like the Republicans do, they're going to have some real internal problems.

Olbermann: And I can see the glint in your eye as you say that, and we've had that thought too. Thank you for joining us.

And our coverage will continue after these messages.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2022, 03:39:57 PM »

September 2010

September Primaries: Republican Establishment + Trump emerge victorious

Kelly Ayotte defeated Ovide Lamontage in the key New Hampshire primary by 41 percent to 36 percent. In Delaware, in the closest contest of the season, Mike Castle narrowly defeated Christine O'Donnell by a margin of 214 votes. In New York, Donald Trump dominated the primary, defeating his nearest challenger by 24 percent, and winning every county and borough except for a few very conservative counties upstate. Trump hailed this as showing the voice of moderate voters, saying "Corporate Gillibrand Democrats hate my candidacy, Conservatives hate my candidacy, but the moderates love me and that's what will allow me to win!" Shortly following the primary, a group of blue dog democrat NY legislators endorse Trump. In their endorsement, they cite Hillary's statement that Obama is the worst president since Hoover (and thus should not be given a mandate with the election of Gillibrand), and use the fact that the most conservative counties refused to back Trump in the primary as evidence that Trump is a moderate leader "who will make New York great again!"

Republicans viciously attack Democrats on immigration bill

The immigration bill finds itself under vicious attack throughout September. The most popular attack focuses on the failure to include sanctions on sanctuary cities in the bill, but another noteworthy attack is using the fact that Senator Mary Landrieu voted No to attack the other 59 dems who all voted Yes. The line for the Colorado race is: "Even Extreme Obama Liberal Mary Landrieu voted No on Obama's amnesty bill. But Senator Michael Bennett supported it. He's just too liberal for us." The attack on it being a "partisan sham" is also used. By the end of the month, Obama's approvals have plunged from 51-46 to 47-51, and the bill has become unpopular among a majority of americans.
Looking forward to hopefully seeing a Senator Trump
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »

Olbermann: We continue, and we now call the Florida Gubernatorial Election for the Republican Rick Scott, defeating the Democrat Alex Sink in an important hold for the GOP.

92% in: Scott 51-48

Final:

Scott (R) 50.4%
Sink (D) 49.0%
Others 1.4%

Also in the Georgia Governor's Race, the Republican Nathan Deal will hold the seat for the GOP.

71% in: Deal 57-41

Final:

Deal (R) 53.6%
Barnes (D) 44.3%
Others 2.1%

Republicans: 21 (+7)
Democrats: 13 (-7)

Two important states, Democrats thought they had a shot at both of them, but neither worked out. Republicans just five wins away from a majority of Governorships. Panel?

O'Donnell: Well, Georgia, that's a state that Democrats used to win handily, when we had more moderate democrats, Rachel may have not liked them, but Sam Nunn used to win Georgia, no problem. We had moderate Democratic, conservative democratic seats in Texas, Lloyd Bentsen, Oklahoma, David Boren, these seats are gone forever. And the results tonight really show a new polarization in the country.

Maddow: I will note though, that Democrats are not pushing out the moderates in the same way the GOP is. No liberal democrat came in and ended Sam Nunn's career. But the South has become dramatically more republican and that has created a situation where it becomes more difficult for Democrats to hold the House Majority, because there's only so many seats in the Northern states where they dominate. But with the GOP, they are actively pushing out the moderates, and as Claire McCaskill said earlier, they're going to regret it.

Matthews: And whatever you think of the more extreme candidates out there, the Sharron Angle's if you will, the Tea Party movement is a movement, and it's going to be a part of our lives as the years go on. The establishment GOP got some key victories in the primaries, but they were very narrow. In Delaware you had Christine O'Donnell coming within 300 votes of winning the nomination over Mike Castle. Jane Norton just barely winning over Ken Buck. Lisa Murkowski just barely winning over Joe Miller. And here's the thing - all the Republicans who voted for McCain voted for Republican this time, and then you take their ability to radicalize some of the people in the center, and that could be the downfall of Obama in 2012.

Sharpton: Democrats just need to remain strong. Tonight is a bad night, no question about it. And the redistricting implications with some of these Republican victories could be quite a tough situation, states like Florida where Scott just won are definitely going to be drawing Republican-favored maps. But we can't let ourselves get bogged down in this, and this also plays into why I'm begging Hillary Clinton to not primary Obama in 2012, because we must not show weakness or provide extra openings to the tea party.

Robinson: The silver lining, I will say, is that solidly democratic places do seem to be staying there, we aren't seeing a huge erosion. New York Special may be the one exception, but even there I think Gillibrand may just pull this out.

Olbermann: Well, it's not a solidly democratic state, but at least on a tone of Obama states flipping, we now have a call in the Wisconsin Governor's Race, where the Republican Scott Walker has defeated the Democrat Tom Barrett.

34% in: Walker 58-40

Final:

Walker (R): 52.4%
Barrett (D): 46.3%
Other: 1.3%

Republicans: 22 (+8)
Democrats: 13 (-8)

Maddow: Disappointing result there. Mr. Walker, openly running against education, against the teachers unions, and he wins by six points. And apparently, since it hasn't been called yet, there are a few Walker voters out of there that are still voting for the heavily embattled Senator Russ Feingold.

Robinson: Well, there was some speculation about whether the immigration bill might still be playing okay in some areas of the country, and there was some speculation about the upper midwest. Obviously we aren't seeing it in all the races, but if some people in other races, the Mark Dayton's, the Pat Quinn's, do pull out their races, that could be a sign that in places far away from the border, immigration still looks like a bipartisan win.

Sharpton: And remember, Trump has had to finesse this issue, he couldn't just say, Wall with Mexico, he had to say Wall with Canada as well. And he's tried to focus his campaign more on economic stuff and Gillibrand's apparent, at least according to him, trustworthiness issues.

Olbermann: Thank you, and we will return shortly with Former Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder. Meanwhile, voters in the states of California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho have just over 15 minutes left to cast their ballots.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2022, 10:19:44 PM »

Olbermann: We're back now with the Former Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder, who has taken  some time to be with us tonight, and we thank you for doing so, sir

Wilder: Thanks, Keith, good to be with you guys

Olbermann: Now, the four key, sort of bellwether races for the democrats in Virginia. All four tonight have gone to the GOP. Just to review the losses, Periello in the fifth, Boucher in the ninth, Nye in the second, and Connolly in the eleventh. Is this just a natural swing in Virginia from election to election or is there something more going on here? Assess your state for us.

Wilder: Well, Virginia is a growing state, and I was amazed at what happened in 2008, and I was correct in predicting that what happened in Virginia would influence other states, and it did in 2008 as Obama won big nationwide, and it perhaps has tonight in the other direction. And as you know, the race for the presidency is going to start tomorrow, tomorrow morning, and people are going to be looking to see what has happened. And this doesn't look good for Democrats in Virginia. We've lost the gubernatorial race, we've lost these congressional seats, the only Democrats that are winning is one individual in the upper reaches of Northern Virginia, and then Bobby Scott, who is in a district that I drew, that is obviously more favorable to a minority candidate. This doesn't speak well for us. And we have got to get a better message. We've gotta get it out, make it simple, let people know why they need to vote for change. But the Republicans have to show they can govern. They'll have to reach across the aisle, because the public is looking for results, not who is in charge. Americans don't mind spending and taxes, they know there are costs to govern, but they want to know where it's going. I hope that the result tonight in Virginia is not going to be what we see two years from now, but unless we improve our messaging, it very well could be.

Robinson: Well, you talk about working across the aisle, let's look at the democratic party. Their Health Care Bill which failed, did so because it became partisan. Ben Nelson, the deciding vote against it, legit said he liked it but was opposing it because it was partisan. The immigration bill, some say Democrats gave up on a bill that could have gotten more republicans too soon, out of a desire to unify their caucus above all else, and we've seen how that bill has become partisan. Were these strategic mistakes by the democratic party?

Wilder: Well perhaps, but a big problem is how tough it's been to work with the Republican Party. So many of them came into office with a goal of making Obama a one-term president, and honestly they may have succeed if Hillary Clinton tries to primary him, which is why I hope she doesn't. But now, you know, the Republicans aren't just the minority anymore, they actually have power, they'll have control over at least one part of the legislative branch, and in our divided government, they will have to get off the Wall with Mexico Train and show they can govern, and the Democrats lone hope may be that they simply cannot.

Olbermann: Thank you, and we now come in with a big call in the Senate Race in the state of Wisconsin - Senator Russ Feingold has been defeated.

41% in: Johnson 56-43

Final:

Johnson (R): 51.2%
Feingold (D): 47.7%
Others: 1.1%

Democrats: 44 (-5)
Republicans: 43 (+5)

This result is not good news for the Democrats, and it's particularly bad I think, for Progressives, that left side of the party, that Russ Feingold, with all that money spent against him, was indeed picked off.

Maddow: Not unexpected, though

Robinson: No, it was predicted, and we kind of saw it coming, but still, he's been around for a while, it's kind of a shock. Pretty established Senator. Aside from that race though, there is sort of an interesting pattern. I mean, Deval Patrick has survived in Massachusetts, Richard Blumenthal had no issue in Connecticut despite all the money spent against him, if this is a wave, which I think it is, it's not one that sweeps away all before it, and changes democratic constituencies into tea party constituencies.

Maddow: Well in some of these states, we are seeing a downticket effect. Marco Rubio winning so solidly in his senate race probably pulled Rick Scott over the line for Governor. Russ Feingold had to deal with the great antipathy for the Democratic Governor. Jim Doyle, not on the ballot again, choosing not to run for a third term, but his approval rating was 27%, he faced some really difficult choices in Wisconsin, with a 7 billion dollar budget deficit. He was a Democratic leader in a very embattled place, and yes that put Scott Walker into office, but it also affected the Senate Race.

Matthews: And you know, I sort of thought this could be a huge wave, that would sweep from Scranton all across the midwest and mountain west. But you have Sestak, running this courageous race against Toomey, and Sestak's never been a popular person in the Democratic Party, but he's got this race in a virtual tie, still slightly ahead, and whether he wins or narrowly loses, it's an incredible resistance to what is going on tonight. It really does show that guts matter.

Olbermann: Two notes about the Wisconsin Race. The Chamber of Commerce put only about $50,000 into that race, but Ron Johnson, the Winner, put in over $8 Million of his own money, and as you can see, it worked.

Maddow: Wow

Olbermann: And with that, we'll be back shortly with the 11:00 Poll Closings.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2022, 01:19:17 AM »

11:00 ET

Olbermann: We can now formally say the GOP will control the House of Representatives. Let's look at this hour's results.

MSNBC - https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-news/watch/nbc-news-gop-will-control-the-house-804213827517

Idaho

District 1: Labrador (R) wins 49%-43% (R Pickup)
District 2: Simpson (R) wins 69%-25%

Walt Minnick made a hard attempt to keep his seat. He voted No on the immigration bill, the failed health care reform bill, and even the 2009 stimulus. The Tea Party Express endorsed his candidacy for Re-election. But ultimately, the Republican DNA of the district was just too much to overcome a second time. Meanwhile, no surprise in District 2.

Running Total of the House so far: 216 Republicans (+63), 144 Democrats (-63)

Washington

District 1: Inslee (D) wins 58%-42%
District 2: Larsen (D) wins 52%-48%
District 3: Beutler (R) wins 53%-47% (R Pickup)
District 4: Hastings (R) wins 65%-35% (Seat #218)
District 5: Rodgers (R) wins 62%-38%
District 6: Dicks (D) wins 57%-43%
District 7: McDermott (D) wins 83%-17%
District 8: Reichert (R) wins 53%-47%
District 9: Smith (D) wins 54%-46%

Washington brings another pickup for the GOP in the 3rd District, and also formally puts the GOP in control of the House.

Running Total of the House so far: 220 Republicans (+64), 149 Democrats (-64)

Oregon

District 1: Wu (D) wins 55%-42%
District 2: Walden (R) wins 74%-26%
District 3: Blumenauer (D) wins 70%-24%
District 4: DeFazio (D) wins 53%-45%
District 5: Schrader (D) wins 50%-47%

Status Quo in Oregon.

Running Total of the House so far: 221 Republicans (+64), 153 Democrats (-64)

Arizona Continued

District 1: Gosar (R) wins 50%-44% (R Pickup)
District 3: Quayle (R) wins 51%-42%
District 5: Schweikert (R) wins 51%-44% (R Pickup)
District 7: Grijalva (D) wins 49%-46%
District 8: Kelly (R) wins 48.8%-48.2% (R Pickup)

Three pickups for the GOP in the competitive Arizona Races, including the defeat of Congresswoman Giffords in the 8th.

Running Total of the House so far: 225 Republicans (+67), 154 Democrats (-67)

California

District 1: Thompson (D) wins 63%-31%
District 2: Herger (R) wins 57%-43%
District 3: Lungren (R) wins 50%-44%
District 4: McClintock (R) wins 61%-31%
District 5: Matsui (D) wins 72%-25%
District 6: Woolsey (D) wins 66%-30%
District 7: Miller (D) wins 68%-32%
District 8: Pelosi (D) wins 78%-17%
District 9: Lee (D) wins 82%-12%
District 10: Garamendi (D) wins 55%-41%
District 11: Harmer (R) wins 48%-47% (R Pickup)
District 12: Speier (D) wins 76%-22%
District 13: Stark (D) wins 72%-28%
District 14: Eshoo (D) wins 69%-28%
District 15: Honda (D) wins 68%-32%
District 16: Lofgren (D) wins 68%-24%
District 17: Farr (D) wins 67%-30%
District 18: Cardoza (D) wins 56%-44%
District 19: Denham (R) wins 65%-35%
District 20: Costa (D) wins 51%-49%
District 21: Nunes (R) wins unopposed
District 22: McCarthy (R) wins 99%-1%
District 23: Capps (D) wins 56%-40%
District 24: Gallegly (R) wins 60%-40%
District 25: McKeon (R) wins 62%-38%
District 26: Dreier (R) wins 55%-36%
District 27: Sherman (D) wins 64%-36%
District 28: Berman (D) wins 70%-22%
District 29: Schiff (D) wins 62%-34%
District 30: Waxman (D) wins 63%-33%
District 31: Becerra (D) wins 84%-16%
District 32: Chu (D) wins 71%-29%
District 33: Bass (D) wins 86%-14%
District 34: Roybal-Allard (D) wins 76%-24%
District 35: Waters (D) wins 79%-21%
District 36: Harman (D) wins 60%-35%
District 37: Richardson (D) wins 68%-23%
District 38: Napolitano (D) wins 73%-27%
District 39: Sanchez (D) wins 63%-33%
District 40: Royce (R) wins 67%-33%
District 41: Lewis (R) wins 63%-37%
District 42: Miller (R) wins 62%-32%
District 43: Baca (D) wins 66%-34%
District 44: Calvert (R) wins 56%-44%
District 45: Mack (R) wins 52%-42%
District 46: Rohrabacher (R) wins 62%-38%
District 47: Sanchez (D) wins 52%-40%
District 48: Campbell (R) wins 60%-36%
District 49: Issa (R) wins 64%-31%
District 50: Bilbray (R) wins 57%-39%
District 51: Filner (D) wins 59%-41%
District 52: Hunter (R) wins 63%-32%
District 53: Davis (D) wins 62%-34%

1 Pickup in the California 11th District for the GOP. The other districts are all holds.

Running Total of the House so far: 245 Republicans (+68), 187 Democrats (-68)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2022, 01:09:55 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2022, 10:57:19 PM by Fmr. Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Moving along to the Senate, in the State of California, it is too early to call. We can say that the incumbent, Barbara Boxer, against whom eleventy-billion-dollars has been spent, has a lead - but it's too early to call.

In the state of Washington, it is also too early to call, though we can say the Incumbent Senator Patty Murray has a lead.

In the state of Oregon, the Winner is the Incumbent Democrat Ron Wyden!

Wyden (D): 56.3%
Huffman (R): 40.1%
Others: 3.6%

In the state of Idaho, the Winner is the Incumbent Republican Mike Crapo!

Crapo (R): 71.2%
Sullivan (D): 24.9%
Others: 3.9%

Let's look at the races that remain too close to call:

NV (1% in): Angle (R) 63%-33%
CO (48% in): Bennet (D) 48.4%-47.9%
IL (66% in): Giannoulias (D) 48.5%-46.4%
PA (78% in): Toomey (R) 50.1%-49.9%
NY-S (41% in): Gillibrand (D) 55%-43%

Democrats: 45 (-5)
Republicans: 44 (+5)

If Independents caucus as they currently do:

Democrats: 47 (-5)

---

Looking to the Governor's Races, in the State of California, it is too early to call, though the Democrat Jerry Brown has a lead over the Republican Meg Whitman.

In the state of Oregon, it is too close to call.

In the state of Idaho, we project the winner is the Republican Butch Otter!

Otter (R): 59.1%
Allred (D): 32.9%
Others: 8.0%

The races that remain uncalled:

Vermont (76% in): Dubie (R) 50%, Shumlin (D) 48%
Ohio (74% in): Kasich (R) 50%, Strickland (D) 46%
Illinois (66% in): Quinn (D) 50%, Brady (R) 45%
Connecticut (63% in): Foley (R) 52%, Malloy (D) 47%
Rhode Island (73% in): Chafee (I) 36%, Robitaille (R) 33%, Caprio (D) 24%, Block (Moderate) 8%
Maine (64% in): Cutler (I) 39%, LePage (R) 36%, Mitchell (D) 22%
Minnesota (51% in): Dayton (D) 48%, Emmer (R) 39%, Horner (I) 12%
Iowa (41% in): Culver (D) 49%, Branstad (R) 47%
Nevada (1% in): Sandoval (R) 64%, Reid (D) 30%
Arizona (1% in): Brewer (R) 63%, Goddard (D) 33%

Republicans: 23 (+8)
Democrats: 13 (-8)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2022, 02:07:44 AM »

Olbermann: So the House margin, with just a few seats outstanding - certainly granting a mandate. At least 245 seats for the GOP.

Matthews: Certainly. That's large, and it gives room for the GOP to do a lot, at least in the House. Any corporate or Business Tax Cuts will fly through, repeal of Dodd Frank will fly through, I'm not sure about a full repeal of the immigration bill, we'll see, but anything on the classic republican agenda of cutting taxes and regulations will fly to the Senate very fast, and it'll be a real fight over there.

Robinson: This will serve as a real test for the Democrats on the immigration issue. Are they in love with this reform? Does their base love this reform? And can they keep their onus on defending it, and not going off into tangents on stuff like Single Payer Health Care. Because if they don't have every democrat fighting to keep it, it could be chipped away with time.

O'Donnell: The other thing is this GOP majority is going to have to try to fulfill its promises to cut spending, which could be a really hard aspect. We had Blackburn on earlier, she couldn't describe what she would cut. And whatever happens in the Senate, whether it's controlled by the Democrats or by the Republicans, they're going to look at the House and say "Send us your spending cuts, we'll take a look at them", so Boehner will have to go first. Question is, are he and his caucus prepared to do so?

Olbermann: That margin, as we see it now, does that suggest any possible challenge to his speakership is gone because you don't want to upset any potential big accomplishments with that majority?

Matthews: Certainly. And I never put much stock in those rumors, and this gives Boehner quite a cushion. You can even go more conservative on suspension bills, because you'll only need about 40 democrats on those, vs the over 70 you'd need with a bare 218-217 majority. So this is huge for the bulk of whatever Boehner is going to pursue, and whether they're doing things under open rules or not, he should have no trouble making most votes go his way on the floor.

Sharpton: But I think it's important to point out, he has over 80 new people in, a lot of them tea partiers, he's gonna have to be a smart leader.

Olbermann: Let's go now to Chuck Todd. So on these remaining Senate races, with let's say the 'church counties' still to report - what are we waiting on?

Todd: Well, some crucial things still going on. First off, let's go to Pennsylvania. Now Toomey has pulled slightly ahead after an all-night Sestak lead. Sestak folks have to be a little bit nervous because all of Philadelphia is basically in. But that being said, there are votes left in Montgomery County and our decision desk says this could be decided by less than 1%.

Over here in Illinois, the Giannoulias lead is continuing to narrow, Kirk's House District coming in very strong here, but we still have questions about the exact turnout levels in the downstate areas he must dominate. Again, our decision desk says this could very well be decided by less than 1%, we may have to let all the vote come in here.

Over in Colorado, Bennet has an enduring, if very slight lead. Only about half the vote in though, still a long way to go here, and there are clearly lots of votes left to count for both sides.

And now I want to come over to this race we've been following in New York:

Upstate filling in pretty nicely for Mr. Trump, as you can see Clinton County has now gone over to his side. And very key - he is carrying Westchester. You can see Albany there going for Gillibrand, that is her house district area, and then we have two very liberal counties in Tompkins and Monroe siding with her by underwhelming margins. Otherwise, it's a complete sweep of upstate for Mr. Trump, and plenty more of upstate to still fill in, along with Suffolk County on Long Island. Gillibrand is riding simply on her margins in New York City to keep a lead in the overall count, and while it's fine, if a bit narrower than usual in Manhattan and the Bronx, it's still just O.K. in Brooklyn, where Trump is receiving 29% of the vote. The potential issue for Gillibrand continues to be in Queens - Trump is receiving a stunning 41% of the vote there. Will it be enough for Trump to upset the heavily Democratic Lean of the State - we will see...

And quickly on the Governors Map, first off, unlike in the Senate contests, there are some opportunities for Democratic Pickups. California, Hawaii, potentially Connecticut - we'll have to see what develops, but don't be surprised if you start to see that GOP gain number come down as the night continues. The GOP shouldn't have an issue getting a majority of Governorships, the question is, how big will that majority be.

O'Donnell: On California, I just want to point out - this shows that Money doesn't decide everything, if it did, Meg Whitman would be dominating in that race.

Olbermann: Let's go to Lester Holt for more on the exit polling.

Holt: Keith, want to make an interesting observation between 1994 and what we are seeing today. This could be 1994 on steroids in terms of people's feelings.

Back in 1994, only 23% of voters said their financial situation was getting worse. Tonight, 40% feel that way.

In 1994, 58% said the economy was bad. Tonight, 87% say the economy is bad.

56% said the country was on the wrong track in 1994, 64% do today.

And we've heard about this anger at Government. Well in 1994, 19% were Angry at the Government. Tonight, 28% are. And I want to highlight - in New York, where Trump could pull off a stunning feat, 35% are angry at the government.

And 38% of voters nationwide say they are casting their vote as a protest against Barack Obama - only 27% said the same for Clinton in 1994.

Olbermann: Thank you, intriguing numbers certainly.

We'll be back after a short break.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2022, 10:42:37 PM »

Olbermann: We can now call the Governor's Race in the State of Iowa. Chet Culver losing his seat to the Republican Challenger Terry Branstad.

51% in: Branstad 49-47

Final:

Branstad (R) 52.3%
Culver (D) 43.8%
Others 4.9%

We can also now call the Rhode Island Governor's Race for the Independent Candidate Lincoln Chafee. This represents the first governorship the GOP has lost its hold on tonight.

84% in: Chafee (I) 37%, Robitaille (R) 33%, Caprio (D) 23%, Block (Moderate) 8%

Final:

Chafee (I): 35.8%
Robitaille (R): 33.7%
Caprio (D): 22.6%
Block (Moderate): 7.4%
Other: 0.5%

Republicans: 24 (+8)
Democrats: 13 (-9)
Independents: 1 (+1)

But not withstanding that Rhode Island result, tonight has been full of switches to the GOP on the Governor's races, in Tennessee, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Kansas, Michigan, New Mexico, Iowa, and of course perhaps the most impactful ones, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

With that, let's go to Howard Fineman at the listening post for some thoughts.

Fineman: Well this has been a good night for Haley Barbour. Haley's been quietly going around collecting support for a presidential campaign, I understand he was on Morning Joe trying to deny interest but in fact he's studied the heck out of it. He's head of the Republican Governors Association, and he's had these heart to heart talks with all the Republican gubernatorial candidates, many of whom are winning. One thing I think that's important to highlight, that if the Republicans pick up Ohio, they will have this continuous string of Governorships from New Jersey, all the way up through the great lakes, which is absolutely crucial in the presidential race, not to mention Florida, not to mention South Carolina which is crucial in the primary, so Haley Barbour, out of Mississippi, who got some good reviews with Katrina and so on, and now with the successes tonight, perhaps more to come in the races that haven't been called yet, is going to be a very strong contender for the nomination should he decide to run, even though a lot of people maybe don't have them on their list of Governors who may run, he definitely will be on a lot of minds and have a lot of friends after tonight.

Olbermann: One person who will not be on that list, because they didn't win, and they didn't win by a lot, is Carl Paladino, who had the honor of losing to Andrew Cuomo in New York. Paladino is conceding the race, and we're going to listen to him now:

Paladino: I'm humbled. Just wanted to say a few words tonight after a hard fought campaign. I want to thank my family and friends for staying tough for us during this campaign. My Wife and Daughters were at hard work during the campaign, and I thank my son for taking over the company on such short notice. And my son-in-law Luke for putting up with all this. With this campaign we've galvanized new york voters with the policy goals that reflect the values of all new yorkers - lower taxes, less government spending, transparency in state government, and the end of insider political dealings in Albany.

Last year, with the unexpected and remarkable ascent with the tea party, we saw regular people spill into the streets. We're frustrated with Big Government and we're tired of our politicians spending like drunken sailors and giving us weak elected representatives. We're tired of backroom deals and government suffocating the promise of the individual, and yes, I joined the tea party movement for the same reason I joined the United States Army - I love my Country.

I'd also like to thank Donald Trump for supporting my campaign, especially considering, as you know, that he did not vote a straight republican ticket. And I'm glad we were able to put in a strong showing in places like Buffalo and thus help out his campaign in the process. That race isn't over yet, and if there's someone still in line to vote, please, stay in line - we have to take out the toxic woman that is the unelected Senator, Kirsten Gillibrand.

Olbermann: At the risk of hearing the latest attack line on Ms. Gillibrand or some story about a drunken sailor, that is where we will leave this vinette into New York Politics. Of course, the Special Senate Race remains too close to call, we will come back to that, but Carl Paladino will not be getting anywhere beyond that stage of concession. We're now joined by the term-limited Governor of Pennsylvania, Ed Rendell, and Governor, we thank you for your time tonight.

Rendell: Thank you, Keith

Olbermann: Obviously, your seat, your chair, was not retained by the party. Your reaction to that?

Rendell: Well, unfortunate. Our guy, Dan Onorato was a good guy with good progressive policies, he ran a great campaign, but he just got swamped by money, especially in the last week, and it was just too much to overcome. The good news is that Joe Sestak is waging a great battle, it's very close, we still have votes out in Montgomery County, a suburban Philadelphia County, and he'll run very well there, so that's still up in the air, clearly up in the air.

Matthews: Let me ask you about the Pennsylvania Democratic Party, you're a philly guy, you do incredibly well in the Philadelphia Party, not so well in the T. What can the Party do become more statewide, so a guy like Sestak, can win?

Rendell: Well, it's gotta perform, but I wouldn't take too much out of this election, we were facing some of the worst economic conditions in our country's history and when that happens the party out of power just gets clobbered, look at John Lynch, two years ago he won by a 2-1 margin, and now tonight, I know he won tonight, but just by a handful of percentage points, it just is, it's out there and it's very difficult to overcome it. I think you can win by performing. In my first term we invested money in roads and bridges, infrastructure, economic development, our economy improved, and I went from carrying 15 counties, mostly in the Southeast, in my first run, to carrying 33 counties in my re-election, including some rural areas. But we invested in those areas like nobody else ever had, and the people rewarded us. I would've loved to run for re-election. As tough as it was, and I would have had a tough fight, I would've loved to make the case that the things we've done, the investments we made in education, in infrastructure, and energy, have changed the face of Pennsylvania.

Olbermann: Let me bring in a call here, we can now wrap up the Governor's Race in the State of Arizona, no great surprise, but the Democrat Mr. Goodard being defeated by the incumbent Jan Brewer.

18% in: Brewer 61-35

Final:

Brewer (R): 54.3%
Goddard (D): 41.4%
Others: 4.3%

Republicans: 25 (+8)

Matthews: So, what is the Democratic Party going to be a building party, not a check-writing party?

Rendell: Well, the party...

Matthews: Well, you know, the party used to build things, they built the big cities, the subway systems, it wouldn't be there with this current mentality, just cut some taxes and get out of the way. You've been the champion for that, but as a country we're just getting beat by China.

Rendell: Well in Pennsylvania, we revitalized American Manufacturing, like Steel and Cotton and Asphalt. That's what we have to do in the country as well. The problem is, Chris, we're sometimes afraid, and most of the guys that voted against health care and immigration lost. We've gotta get out there, and say, we can rebuild this country. Jobs are the #1 thing that matter to Pennsylvanians.

Matthews: Indeed, people love the scent of a job site.

O'Donnell: And we have, the Governor in New Jersey, vetoing the tunnels between New York and New Jersey. We haven't done this in a hundred years, and that's the Republican notion of where we go from here.

Rendell: Well, Christie may have a point, the time it takes with all the environmental impact statements, it is honestly disgraceful, it causes the prices to go up. We've gotta target our money well, now I think he should have gone ahead with the project, but he is right that we have to spend our money well. But whatever we do, we can't just spend the next two years posturing for the next election, that's not going to work.

Maddow: As I was saying earlier, when you ask Democrats, what do they think they can make progress on with these election results, they say it's education, they say it's energy, bizarrely, they say it's removing the bush tax cuts for the wealthiest americans, and they say it's infrastructure. Those are the areas Democrats are going to focus on, trying to get something done, and then you listen to Republicans talk about those areas....

O'Donnell: Well, they want to abolish the Department of Energy, let's start there.

Maddow: Cap and Trade, it's a Republican Idea. Cap and Trade was a Republican Idea. The people who promoted it, now denouncing it, as unconstitutional and socialist. I mean the idea that, that Republicans would come around on energy is just impossible to imagine at this point.

Rendell: Well, Rachel, I feel your pain, but here's the plan. Cap and Trade, we obviously don't have the votes for, but let's do renewable energy, invest in renewable energy, make the tax credits permanent, up the R&D for it, boost the economy in the process, we can do that and get votes for that.

Maddow: Well the Tea Party has just denounced the idea of green jobs as a marxist myth.

Olbermann: Well, you just got Ron Johnson elected in Wisconsin, a climate change denier, who spent 6 million of his own money, to get himself in the senate.

Rendell: I feel your pain, but I think we can make some progress. We can stake out some goals that maybe are achievable. You have Jim Inhofe saying infrastructure is the second most important thing government can spend money on. So we can't stop trying.

Olbermann: Thank you Governor. We'll be back after this break.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2022, 01:58:52 AM »

Olbermann: We can now say definitively that the Republicans will hold a majority of the nation's governorships, because they will hold on in Vermont and Nevada.

Vermont, 88% in: Dubie 51-47

Final:

Dubie (R) 50.4%
Shumlin (D) 48%
Others: 1.6%

Nevada, 52% in: Sandoval 51-45

Final:

Sandoval (R) 53.3%
Reid (D) 41.6%
Others/NOTA: 5.1%

Republicans: 27 (+8)

-
Now, let's look at the Numbers so far in the Nevada Senate Race:

52% in: Reid (D) 52%-43%

Now the reason why that is still too close to call, with Harry Reid up by 9 and that much in, is because a lot of that vote is from Reno and Las Vegas, where the reports come in electronically. We are informed that the rural areas still report by fax and thus are slower. So if you're wondering who you can still send a fax to, it is the county election boards in rural Nevada. I don't remember what happened to my last fax. But nonetheless that is a 9 point lead for Harry Reid with more than 50% of the vote in. So let's start here as we're waiting for the Speaker-Elect Mr. Boehner. Let's go to Harry Reid Headquarters and our Ed Schultz, so this was the whispering confidence you heard about?

Schultz: Well, Keith, you're one of the most popular guys out here, when you put up those numbers because this place erupted, and yes, this has gone from a quiet confidence to a whisper to now an outright confidence. Harry Reid's lead in Angle's own home town of Reno is a great start. I understand we've got Mr. Boehner.

Olbermann: Yes we interrupt to bring you Speaker-Elect Boehner's victory speech after securing control of the House, with at least 245 seats.

Boehner: (....) On behalf of the NRCC, I want to thank our Chairman Greg Walden for all he has done. And I want to thank all of our candidates, our supporters, our volunteers, who worked so hard to make this moment possible. Let me just say this, it's clear tonight who the winners really are, and that's the American People. It's the American People's voice that was heard at the ballot box, the American People's Voice. And listen, I'm going to be brief because we've got real work to do and quite frankly this is not a time for celebration. Not when one of our 10 fellow citizens is out of work. Not when we've buried our children under a mountain of debt. Not when we've let illegal immigrants start flowing into this country in droves in search of amnesty. And not when our Congress is held in such low esteem.

This is a time to roll up our sleeves, a time to look forward with determination, and to take the first steps toward building a better future for our children. Right now, across the country, we're watching a repudiation of big government. A repudiation of Washington. And a repudiation of politicians that refuse to listen to the American People. We've seen it stretch from California to Arizona to Texas to Missouri to Wisconsin to Virginia to even Queens Borough, New York City, where Donald Trump is putting in an impressive overperformance en route to what will hopefully be a stunning victory for the United States Senate. Of course, it's not over yet. Voting continues in Alaska and Hawaii, and there may still be folks in line across the country. For those, this is the time to get out there, stay in line, seize that moment, and make sure your voice is heard to reject this overspending, this debt, the government takeovers, the amnesty, the backroom deals, the lack of open debate, all the nonsense, and to join your fellow Americans, because for far too long Washington has been doing what's best for Washington, and not what's best for the American People.

The American People are demanding a new way forward in Washington, and I'm here tonight to tell you our new majority will do things differently. Take a new approach in Washington that hasn't been tried before by either party. It starts with cutting spending instead of increasing it. Reducing the size of Government instead of increasing it. Closing our borders instead of opening them up. And reforming the way Congress works and giving it back to the American People. And it means ending the uncertainty in our Economy and helping small businesses get back to work.

The People's priorities will be our priorities, and their agenda will be our agenda. That is our pledge to you. Of course, we must remember that it is the President who sets the agenda. The American People have sent an unmistakable message tonight: Change Course. It's time for Obama to respect the will of the people and to the extent that he's willing to do that, we're ready to work with him. But make no mistake, the President will find, in our new majority, the voice of the American People as they've expressed it tonight. There will be no more reckless stimulus spending that is poorly targeted and goes nowhere except to increase our trillion dollar deficit. There will be no more attempts at draconian health care plans that remove the freedoms of the individuals and businesses of this country, and don't even think about the ludicrous single payer bill. There will be no more amnesty - we're going to follow what the Democratic Party's own Senator, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana did - and repeal that bill immediately, on a bipartisan basis. We'll be checking Washington's power and delivering a simpler, less costly, and more accountable government for all. We have hard work ahead of us, and we hope the President will stand with us and help get it done.

We're humbled by the trust the American People have placed in us and we recongize our responsibility to listen, and listen we will. Let's start by recognizing this is not a time for celebration, this is a time to get to work. We can celebrate when small businesses begin hiring again. We can celebrate when we have a balanced budget. We can celebrate when our borders are safe again. And we can celebrate when we have a government that has earned the trust of the people that it serves. When we have a government who honors the constitution and stands up for American Values.

I want to thank my Wife Debbie, my girls Lindsey and Trishia, my 11 brothers and sisters, and all my friends and neighbors in Ohio, for giving me the opportunity to serve, and the opportunity to stand before you, ready to lead. I thank all of you, god bless you, and god bless our great country!

Olbermann: Not to suggest he wasn't being sincere there, but to suggest Career Politicians aren't listening to Americans, he's been in Washington since 1991, and he started in Politics the year after I started in Television. At this point, I like to think of myself as a really old timer in Television, this is a really old timer in Politics. All that said, the speech certainly sounded very powerful.

Let's move on, because we have a result to report to you out of the state of Maine, where we have a victory for the Independent Candidate Eliot Cutler for Governor, in another instance of the Democratic Party losing power.

Maine (81% in): Cutler (I) 40%, LePage (R) 36%, Mitchell (D) 22%

Maine (Final):

Cutler (I): 38.7%
LePage (R): 36.9%
Mitchell (D): 22.1%
Others: 2.3%

Republicans: 27 (+8)
Democrats: 13 (-10)
Independents: 2 (+2)

And we'll be back shortly with the Senior Senator from Ohio, Sherrod Brown, who was not up for election tonight, on how the Democratic Party can possibly move forward from the results we have seen tonight. Meanwhile, voters in Hawaii have about 15 minutes to cast their ballots.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2022, 10:50:03 PM »

Olbermann: We return, as promised with the Senior Senator, or at least the person that will be the Senior Senator when the new congress starts, Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio. Senator, thank you for joining us.

Brown: Thank you for having me

Olbermann: First, we've still got too close to call on the Ohio Gubernatorial Election. What are you hearing on the ground about that race?

Brown: Well, the economic conditions of the state and quite frankly the nation have put us in a tough spot certainly. Ted Strickland has governed our state wisely, but he did face a very strong and well funded challenge from Mr. Kasich, who certainly has unique connections, shall we say, with that show on Fox News of his. But it's not over yet, there are votes left to count in Cuyahoga County, and we're prepared to pursue whatever legal avenues may exist to still secure victory in this contest. Strickland's been a real fighter for the working class in my state, and I hope he can continue to be a great governor.

Olbermann: So looking back, considering the results tonight, was it wrong to pursue an immigration bill after the failure of health care reform?

Brown: No, I think it was important that we had a major accomplishment beyond just the stimulus and Dodd-Frank. And I think this bill will have a really strong positive long-term effect for the country. It secures our border while also ensuring that those already in the country can become contributing members of our society, paying taxes and reducing our deficit. It solves the issues we have faced over these many years and will put us in an excellent place in the long-term. As is common with large bills, everyone can find something about the process or the content that they don't like. And certainly the short-term effect isn't great for us, though it does appear that we'll retain the Senate, which is of course incredibly important and will allow us to keep the accomplishments of this President in place.

Matthews: So how does the party recover from the losses tonight, and move forward and rebuild?

Brown: Well first off, we may not have as much work to do as some may think. A number of the losses were due to us being overextended and controlling seats that were never going to be in our hands for the long term, even in the best of circumstances. But to the extent we do, I do think we need to improve our messaging, be better at explaining to people what we have done, and not be criticizing the party or president for what wasn't accomplished. We also need to organize our fundraising better so we aren't outspent in so many of these races. Yes, this hasn't been a deciding factor in every race, but the money has been a decider in some of them. Beyond that, I think the accomplishments we had over the last two years will help boost us back in the next several cycles.

Maddow: How do you feel about the possibility of a primary challenge to Barack Obama from Former Secretary Clinton?

Brown: I stand with the administration's characterization of her tenure. She was unhelpful at best and antagonistic at worst. And I think some of the attacks she has launched on Obama may have hurt us in some of the close races tonight, particularly some of those that haven't been called. Some congresspeople may disagree, but I'll be supporting Obama's renomination.

Olbermann: Thank you, Senator. We'll be back shortly with the poll closing in the state of Hawaii.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2022, 11:41:23 PM »

Midnight ET

Olbermann: As the clock strikes midnight, the polls close in the state of Hawaii. Let's look at the House Results:

District 1: Hanabusa (D) wins 52%-48% (D Pickup)
District 2: Hirono (D) wins 70%-27%

Running Total of the House so far: 245 Republicans (+67), 189 Democrats (-67)

A Democratic Pickup here of the seat that Republicans won in a special election earlier this year. It does little to blunt the overall picture of the night however.

Looking to the Senate, as expected, we can project that the Democrat Mr. Inouye has won another term.

Inouye (D): 72.7%
Cavasso (R): 23.5%
Others: 3.8%

Also, we can now project that, as was fairly expected, the Democrat Barbara Boxer has won re-election in California, defeating the Republican Carly Fiorina.

30% in: Boxer 49%-45%

Final:

Boxer (D): 51.2%
Fiorina (R): 43.2%
Others: 5.6%

And looking at the races we still cannot call:

WA (43% in): Murray (D) 51%-49%
NV (60% in) Reid (D) 51%-44%
CO (65% in): Norton (R) 48.5%-47.8%
IL (83% in): Giannoulias (D) 47.7%-47.5%
PA (89% in): Toomey (R) 50.4%-49.6%
NY-S (62% in): Gillibrand (D) 52%-46%

Democrats: 47 (-5)

Democrats: 49 (-5)

Looking now to the Governors Races, we can project that the Democrat Mr. Abercrombie has won in Hawaii, in a pickup for the Democrats from the retiring Linda Lingle!

Abercrombie (D): 56.9%
Aiona (R): 41.4%
Others: 1.7%

In another pickup for the Democrats, they will win in California where the incumbent Arnold Schwarzenegger was retiring!

30% in: Brown 50%-45%

Final:

Brown (D): 52.8%
Whitman (R): 41.9%
Others: 5.3%

And looking at what we still cannot call:

Oregon (31% in): Dudley (R) 53%-44%
Ohio (83% in): Kasich (R) 49.5%, Strickland (D) 46.5%
Illinois (83% in): Quinn (D) 48.1%, Brady (R) 47.0%
Connecticut (76% in): Foley (R) 51%, Malloy (D) 47%
Minnesota (65% in): Dayton (D) 46%, Emmer (R) 40%, Horner (I) 12%

Republicans: 27 (+6)
Democrats: 15 (-8)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2022, 12:20:05 AM »

Olbermann: Well, the Democrats are slowly coming up out of the rubble, one might say. That victory in California, combined with the one in Hawaii, and presuming Joe Lieberman continues to caucus with them, they are at 49 seats. Awfully close to securing that majority, and still seven senate races outstanding. Panel, any prospect of Joe Lieberman switching, if it matters?

Maddow: They'll offer him the world, but he may not bite.

Robinson: Lieberman still considers himself, fundamentally, a Democrat. I don't see him switching. He enjoys torturing progressive Democrats far too much.

Matthews: And you have to remember, when he lost the primary to Ned Lamont and then won in the General, he won based on a coalition that did include working class democrats. Also he wasn't the one who blocked Health Care Reform, that was Ben Nelson. He wasn't the one who tried to block Immigration Reform, that of course would be Mary Landrieu. So he hasn't really been that much of an opponent to this president.

O'Donnell: While we're still waiting for a result in Nevada, I do want to point out that the exit polls have some very good news for Harry Reid on the popularity of the Tea Party. Nationwide, the Tea Party is at 41% favorability. But in Nevada, it's only 38%. Nevada, a below average state in terms of Tea Party favorability, and you have a tea party candidate in Sharron Angle. Yes we're still waiting for more results to come in there, but it looks good for Mr. Reid. That could be your fiftieth seat right there.

Olbermann: And the Tea Party is at 39% favorability in New York, which means it had the honor of outperforming Carl Paladino and Jay Townsend, the two losing candidates tonight. Of course, Donald Trump doing far better, and we continue to watch that race, along with David Axelrod's at-risk mustache, with anticipation. But just as an aside before we continue our analysis, we did cut away from Mr. Paladino's concession speech earlier, and we do have the recording of it, and there is something worth hearing.

Paladino: I have a message for Andrew Cuomo, the next Governor of New York. I've always said my baseball bat is a metaphor for the people who want to take their government back. But this isn't my bat, after all. As the next Governor, you can grab this handle, and bring the people back with you to Albany, or you can leave it untouched, and run the risk of having it wielded against you, because make no mistake, you have not heard the last of Carl Paladino.

Maddow: Well talk about demands from the podium after losing by 24 points. Sort of defeats the point of conceding.

Robinson: Isn't there a post 9/11 statute - something about terroristic threats? I don't know.

Olbermann: I'll also say, no self respecting adult, of either gender, is caught with an orange baseball bat.

O'Donnell: And reading from a teleprompter - this was a pre-meditated, word for word speech.

Maddow: Yes, this is how he planned to respond, on television, to losing by 24 points.

O'Donnell: And, to respond to the image that he's crazy, and maybe violent.

Sharpton: Well, he did obviously learn Mr. Roosevelt's lesson about walking and carrying a big stick. But the 37% he got, even weaker than the tea party in the state of New York, really does not put him in a good position to make these types of demands.

Olbermann: Which brings us back to the topic, the Democrats appear, and I want to be cautious here, there's a lot of ground left on the map, but the Democrats at 49 seats, assuming Joe Lieberman caucuses with them going forward, so the GOP having to sweep all the races that remain, or all but one if Lieberman switches, which does not seem incredibly likely. Any disagreement with that?

Maddow: Well it's possible that they could. Certainly they're not out of the game in any of the races we haven't called yet.

Robinson: It's possible, particularly that all but one scenario, but I still doubt it. Reid's still ahead, Gillibrand's still ahead, Giannoulias looks like he's going into a recount scenario in Illinois. And of course they'd have to get Lieberman to switch to pull it off, which doesn't seem easy.

Matthews: And I want to point out, the Tea Party is not responsible for a single pickup, a single victory in the Senate so far tonight. Even among the outstanding races, Jane Norton, if she pulls that off, is an establishment candidate. Mark Kirk, same thing. Donald Trump is really on sort of his own wavelength. Maybe you can count Toomey if he wins, but Toomey was a club for growth member long before there ever was a Tea Party. Maybe it helped in the House or added some overall energy, but the Tea Party did not deliver the GOP a thing in the Senate. They've just been an embarrassment, like we just saw with Carl Paladino and we appear to be seeing in Nevada with Sharron Angle.

Olbermann: Certainly. Perhaps as you say, some internal energy boost, but probably no help in seats where it could have made a difference, like Nevada. We saw Ms. Fiorina over in California go down as well. In Delaware, one of the few house gains for Dems tonight, the Tea Party losing the GOP a house seat there even as Mike Castle is elected to the Senate. And remember, Mike Castle was only the nominee by about 300 votes, the GOP is very lucky they didn't lock themselves out of that seat.

O'Donnell: And I want to emphasize, the Economic Conditions, the fundamentals overall, much much worse than in 1994. Why are the Dems, it appears, eeking it out in the Senate? The Tea Party.

Sharpton: Though I will say, the loss of the House cannot be overstated. You saw Boehner all emotional up there, it's really not of his making, the Tea Party did deliver the House, and that matters if there are going to be further legislative accomplishments by this administration, and it could fuel the argument that Hillary Clinton is going to be making in the coming months, that Obama should not be renominated.

Maddow: True, but another place where the GOP did not win tonight was in the ballot initiatives. We had scorched-earth, cut taxes initiatives, in Massachusetts, and 3 separate ones in Colorado. Looks like they're all going down. So even if you take away the tea party candidates, and all their flaws, just go to the pure issues, cut all the taxes, starve the government, it's a losing issue when you ask it straight-up.

Olbermann: Well, let's now go to Luke Russert, who is with Kevin McCarthy, where I'm sure none of these details factor into the equation, considering the GOP victories in the House.

Russert: Indeed, a joyous atmosphere out here. They just listened to Boehner give a rousing speech. And yes, right here, next to me is Deputy, as of today, Minority Whip Kevin McCarthy. What did you tap into to deliver a massive victory tonight?

McCarthy: Well I think it's not so much about the GOP or about myself, but about the direction of the country at this point in time. Only in America are people given a second chance, and that's what we've been given tonight, but people will be looking at us to really do what we pledged to do. And you look at our candidates, a lot of them are first-time candidates. And they've been able to win because at the end of the day, it's about Jobs for the people of this country, not about some bridge in their district that an incumbent may have helped secure.

Russert: You said in National Journal that a vote for the GOP this time wouldn't be so much about them, but a rejection of the Obama administration. What does the party have to change going forward to win on their own merits?

McCarthy: I think the party has to make sure they're always listening. The country is saying, get the House in order, find solutions to problems, and change the culture of Washington. I'm very hopeful. After 1994, the GOP was able to do welfare reform, and other initiatives. I'm hopeful, that not only will be able to prevent a tax increase, to repeal the immigration bill, hopefully on suspension of the rules, but that we can enact large scale change to the overspending and the obstruction of the freedom and prosperity of the american populace.

Russert: Now, Mike Pence said earlier that this is not the time for compromise. Do you think the GOP should be willing to compromise on some issues?

McCarthy: Well I don't think Tax Increases during a recession are a good thing, I think we have to repeal amnesty in its entirety. We have to bring in our spending, the deficit increases under this administration have really been astronomical. But I think much of our pledge allows us to work together to solve our problems. I think, listening to Boehner tonight, yeah, we have our principles, we have what we'll fight for, but to the extent we can achieve those goals in a bipartisan way, we're certainly ready to do that.

Russert: So what's the first thing you can do in a bipartisan way?

McCarthy: Well, I think first, no new taxes. You had 37 Democrats sign a letter ahead of this election that they didn't want a tax increase. I think that could be a great thing to really take the uncertainty out of this economy and really revitalize it.

Russert: Well thank you, let's go back to Olbermann in the Studio.

Olbermann: Yes, thank you. We can report now, Washington State being decided for the Democrats. Patty Murray, holding on to her seat in the Senate.

54% in: Murray 53%-47%

Final:

Murray (D): 53.2%
Rossi (R): 46.3%
Others: 0.5%

Democrats: 48 (-5)

Democrats: 50 (-5)

So that victory in the books now, and with that, unless Lieberman switches, Dems have the Senate.

Meanwhile, we are told Toomey is coming out to speak soon in Pennsylvania, even though that race has not been called universally, so we await that. And also still outstanding for the Senate, Illinois, Colorado, Nevada, Alaska, and the Special in New York. Stay with us.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2022, 01:26:57 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2022, 12:52:23 PM by Fmr. Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Olbermann: Republicans have picked up another Governor's seat. It's in the State of Ohio, where the Republican and Fox News Challenger John Kasich has defeated the Incumbent Democrat Ted Strickland:

89% in: Kasich 49%-47%

Final:

Kasich (R) 48.6%
Strickland (D) 47.3%
Others 4.1%

Republicans: 28 (+7)
Democrats: 15 (-9)

Meanwhile, in the Pennsylvania Race, the Associated Press has called it for Pat Toomey, we have it still as too close to call, Toomey ahead by about a percentage point with 10% outstanding. Toomey is speaking now, let's go to that.

Toomey: (...) And the Person I need to thank most of all, she is my rock, she is the mother of our children, provides me with love, encouragement, and support, and that is my Wife Chris.

A huge thank you, really, to people who contributed to this campaign in so many ways, the people who sent in contributions, 72 thousand people, so many came in with an envelope with 10 dollars, 20 dollars, so many making such a personal sacrifice that I really appreciate. And the volunteers, 10s of thousands of people (...)

One Gentleman, I do want to recongize that stepped up and agreed to play a major leadership role in my campaign, and I want to recongize all the arm-twisting I did, and that's Cliff Venson, here from Pittsburgh, thank you.

And I am of course enormously grateful to the campaign staff, this is such an amazing team (...)

The spirit of this campaign was just amazing, everybody just worked their hearts out and played a crucial role (...)

Olbermann: Just want to note, enclosed in those envelopes was a donation from the Chamber of Commerce for 1.7 Million Dollars. It was not all 3 dollars at a time, but in any case, here's a million seven from the Chamber of Commerce, as our Decision Desk calls the race as well.

91% in: Toomey 50.6%-49.4%

Final:

Toomey (R) 51.1%
Sestak (D) 48.9%

Democrats: 48 (-6)
Republicans: 45 (+6)

Democrats: 50 (-6)

And in a very prompt speech, here is Joe Sestak, in progress of conceding the race.

Sestak: (...) And I cannot thank them enough, you know my Mom, and my Pap's up there wishing me well, so thank you very much to my family. And then, I want to mention my Congressional District, and those I work for. I never had a better boss. I loved being their public servant. (...)

And let me mention, also, Pennsylvanians. You know, if you told me, start all over again, and even knowing the outcome, I have no regrets. I'd do it again, even knowing the ending, in a heartbeat. I just can't even begin to tell you what I learned. Pennsylvanians, they're something, they care, they love America, and that memory is going to find a home inside of me. (...)

You know, it was really hard for me going around with my wife, because after every event, someone would say, Joe, if she was running, you could win. You know I proposed to her, and it took 8 years for her to say yes, but that's just the power of persistence. (...)

Thank you Everybody!

Olbermann: And so the Conclusion of the Pennsylvania Senate Race. Back and forth, all along, but ultimately going to Pat Toomey over Joe Sestak. Explain to me, Pennsylvania Politics, aside from that touching scene.

Sharpton: Well that was just sort of Mr. Smith doesn't go to Washington for Mr. Sestak there. It was a really strong campaign on both sides, there was speculation that Sestak was actually gaining ground in the last few weeks, but ultimately, we have the result you see and it just sort of fits the overall mood of the night, I suppose. This was always looking like one of the races that would just sort of be difficult for the Democrats to secure, and ultimately, it was too tough a climb with all the money going to the GOP side.

Matthews: It does strike me that both candidates just seem normal. Toomey, you know he'll be okay, he's a very conservative guy, but he's not Tea Party, he's not Trump, he's one of the better candidates out there. Sestak, certainly a very gutsy guy, going out and primarying Specter, but we need people like that who have the desire to run. I'm just impressed, because he didn't have anybody asking him to run, and he went out and ran a really good campaign. However the immigration bill played there, and it was always kind of unclear, I think he really did all that he could, and ultimately the club for growth and the chamber of commerce just sort of blew him out of the water. But with the margin, he'll always know that he would have won in a good year for the Democrats, and I hope he has a future. But this was a good clean race, and Toomey won it.

O'Donnell: And you couldn't have asked for a better Democratic candidate. If you were designing a Democratic candidate, you want a military veteran like him.

Robinson: If I can just mention one other race very quickly. In South Carolina, we had a black Republican, Tim Scott, elected to the Senate. Probably the first black Republican since reconstruction in the Deep South. And you know, everything old will be new again. My great-grandfather was in Republican Party Politics in South Carolina, and it's nice to sort of see the diversity return.

Maddow: And an Indian-American Governor.

Olbermann: Well, it unfortunately doesn't contribute to that, but here's another race we can wrap up now, in the State of Connecticut, an Important hold for the GOP. The Republican Tom Foley has defeated the Democrat Daniel Malloy.

90% in: Foley 51%-48%

Final:

Foley (R) 49.8%
Malloy (D) 48.9%
Others 1.3%

Republicans: 29 (+7)
Democrats: 15 (-9)

But still, 5 senate races outstanding, realistically 4 given the GOP will likely get Alaska. it looks like the Democrats are okay, but they'll need one of these just in case Lieberman pulls the plug. Chuck, how's it looking?

Todd: Well, sort of a mixed bag. Nevada honestly looks pretty good, still a few rural data points we're waiting on, but Reid may have that. Colorado, there are still votes left in the Denver Suburbs, that could be good for Bennet, but we also have votes left in the rural areas of the state. As you know, Norton is clinging to a narrow lead, it's not comfortable, less than a percentage point, but with her being ahead, and still some rural vote left, you have to be concerned if you are Mr. Bennet.

Illinois, I do want to point out, Kirk has taken a lead. It's a very narrow lead, less than 2,000 votes at this point, but a lead nonetheless. I can tell you, we may have to wait until quite literally everything is in to call that. That may have been one of the few states where the immigration bill played at least okay for the Democrats, the question remains of course, did it matter. This could easily go either way, but the slightest of edges to Mr. Kirk at the moment.

And New York:

81% in:

Gillibrand (D) 49.5%
Trump (R) 48.5%
Others: 2.0%

Talk about close. As you can see, Mr. Trump continuing to do nicely, in the upstate region, carrying all but Monroe, Tompkins, and Albany. And I have to tell you, Monroe is a non-secure edge for Gillibrand at this point, there is still outstanding vote there, and her carrying that is not assured. As you can see, there are three still empty counties in upstate, Trump will be looking for big margins in those to help claim what remains of this gap.

Now if you are Gillibrand, you're looking at that red in Suffolk County and jumping for joy. But I have to tell you, it is a 4 point margin for her there, only 5% of the vote is in there, that's really the big area we are waiting on at this point, they've had some technical difficulties there, and really don't draw a conclusion from that just yet, only 5% of the vote is in.

Now, Gillibrand has led all night because New York City has been coming in ahead of upstate. So here's the result of that as she tries to cling to this narrowing lead, look, just narrowed a bit more as we're talking here. The Bronx, Gillibrand's best borough, 100% in. Manhattan, her second best, 100% in. No more votes out of those two. Brooklyn, 98% in, Trump's actually gone up a bit here since we last looked, he was at 29%, now he's at 32%, so these last few votes in Brooklyn aren't necessarily helping Gillibrand, and it's essentially done. And now, Queens, only 83% of the vote is in in Queens, but you have this persistent Trump overperformance, You see Gillibrand ahead by just 14 percentage points in Queens, and I have to point out, if we switch over to the Schumer race, you can see him clearing 70% in the borough, Gillibrand getting just 56%. This is one of the big Schumer/Trump vote areas right here, and you know, Trump, he was hoping for just a third of the vote here, hoping that could be enough, and he's getting far more than just a third. So no guarantees for Gillibrand with the remaining vote in Queens.

So Suffolk County, amounting to something of a Hail Mary for Gillibrand. We'll see if it holds for her, maybe she clings on if it does, a big maybe but it is possible. If Suffolk flips blue eventually, that would almost certainly be her downfall, and of course, the downfall of Mr. Axelrod's Mustache as well.

Olbermann: Thank you, Chuck. We're going to take a quick break, keep watching all of this. We'll be back with our Ed Schultz in Nevada in just a few minutes.

BigVic
Australia

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2022, 01:57:47 AM »

A worse 2010 Midterms with Trump in the Senate race
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2022, 02:12:03 AM »

A worse 2010 Midterms with Trump in the Senate race

I have much more planned after I'm done writing the 2010 coverage.

And yeah, overall a bit worse as a whole, but there's going to be a bit of a twist in one of the last few races........
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2022, 12:59:17 AM »

Olbermann: Another Governor's race in the books now. The Democrats will hold on in the State of Illinois. A very hard fought contest here. Of course, the Senate race still too close to call, but in the Governor's Race, Pat Quinn has secured his first full term.

90% in: Quinn 48.0%, Brady 47.2%

Final:

Quinn (D) 48.3%
Brady (R) 47.0%
Others: 4.7%

Republicans: 29 (+7)
Democrats: 16 (-9)

Meanwhile, we continue to watch the five outstanding senate races.

It's now a six point edge for Harry Reid in Nevada, as the rural counties continue to report.

In Illinois, the Republican Mark Kirk ahead by 2,750 votes over the Democrat Alexi Giannoulias. We continue to watch that.

In Colorado, the Republican Jane Norton with a 15,000 vote lead over the Appointed Incumbent Michael Bennet with just over a quarter of the vote to go. We continue to watch that.

In New York, Gillibrand continuing to lead, the lead just under a percentage point. You saw the map there, it's largely coming down to Suffolk County. A truly fascinating contest.

And of course, the voting continues in Alaska. Democrats hold a nominal edge, nominal control of the Senate, assuming Joe Lieberman caucuses with them, and one more win in any of those five races... like in Nevada, where MSNBC can now project that Harry Reid will hold on!

70% in: Reid 51%-45%

Final:

Reid (D): 49.7%
Angle (R): 46.5%
Others/NOTA: 3.8%

Democrats: 49 (-6)

Democrats: 51 (-6)

And with that, The Democrats have kept control of the Senate! We'll see if they can make that majority any bigger, it's just 51 seats right now with the two independents, but they will at least have control.

So, now to Harry Reid Headquarters, and Ed Schultz, and well, there you have it.

Schultz: Well, Keith, this place has absolutely erupted. This has been a tough night for the Democrats, but we are on an island of happiness here. It was amazing how much of an effort there was to defeat Harry Reid, but the old boxer, the old fighter, on a night where the Democrats have not seemed to have a whole lot of fight across the country, had one big swing, and he is going to go back to the United States Senate as the Senate Majority Leader. He is very well liked by his colleagues. I had three senators call me, saying this was a pivotal race for them, to keep their cohesiveness, that there may have been some infighting, beyond what is already occurring, if Reid did not win this. I was going to tell you, just before you called it, that it was really going to take a catastrophic defeat, a catastrophic collapse, for Harry Reid in the rural areas for Sharron Angle to win. Mr. Reid crucially defeated Sharron Angle in her own home county, home town of Reno. And 70% of the votes come out of Clark County, that was crucial for Harry Reid. Mr. Reid, a knight in shining armor for the Democrats tonight.

Olbermann: And I guess it's Ironic, because two years ago, if you had said, which of Speaker Pelosi and Leader Reid, would retain that, which would be the firmest guarantee, you probably would have gone with the Speaker of the House, and now, in a quiet, kind of way, not gigantic personality style in the management of his position and his senate seat, coming out, prevailing, surviving, in what otherwise has been a mixed night at best for the Democrats.

Schultz: And the Irony of it is that the Senate has had a record number of filibusters, not able to get much done, and over in the House, where Nancy Pelosi is not going to be the Speaker, they've passed some 240 bills. If you're looking for legislative accomplishments, Nancy Pelosi delivered the mail. On the other hand, if you're looking for legislative accomplishments, for Harry Reid in the Senate, it's Immigration, it's the Ledbetter bill, and the stimulus and Dodd Frank, which has sort of been a tire dragging dems down here in Nevada because of the people still out of work. But the Democratic Base delivered for Harry Reid, and I think we can look back at Angle's controversial comments about Latinos, and how she was stubborn with the media. I tell you this, the sense I get on the ground, if you had said two days ago, in Las Vegas, that Harry Reid was going to win, you would have been laughed out of town. This is a remarkable ground game playing out here, a remarkable effort to never give up, they just fought like hell to get the vote out, and they are victorious tonight.

Maddow: And on this win, I just want to say that Harry Reid surviving is such a disastrous win for the Republican Party. With Unemployment so high in Nevada, the Immigration bill well underwater there, with Harry Reid's approvals as bad as you can get and still be standing as a politician, for the Republicans to lose to Harry Reid is just stunning. Karl Rove went out there and tried to run Angle's GOTV effort, because the Republican Party there is Jim Gibbons, lost the primary for Governor, and John Ensign, better not spoken of on family television. We've got a collapse of the Republican Party, they couldn't get it together, they tried to drag it nationally, this was going to be the way they were going to truly defeat the Democrats, if Lieberman were to switch this seat could seal the deal for the GOP in the Senate, but Sharron Angle just ruined it, with the most racist ads I've seen in a major party race in this country in a long time, and she just got killed.

Robinson: Well, they ran the wrong candidate. You had Sue Lowden in that primary, she may have been able to win that.

O'Donnell: And that's why the Reid campaign celebrated, celebrated when Sharron Angle got the nomination. They knew, this is the only way they could win. You know, in a regular year he would have beaten her by much more, this is close for someone as flaky as her.

Maddow: This is who the Republican Party put up, and they got creamed.

Olbermann: And I now want to turn to our next Interview, with the outgoing Governor of New Mexico, Mr. Richardson, who has been patiently waiting as we got in those couple of good calls for the Democrats, and I am sure it has been with delight.

Richardson: Indeed. And I was in Reno, and while Republicans are going to crow about electing two latino statewide officials tonight, the latino vote, I believe at least in the West has stayed with the Democrats. Jerry Brown in California, Barbara Boxer as well. Harry Reid,  in a state with a growing hispanic population, prevailing big. I guess the question is still can it deliver in Colorado, but I was in Pueblo, 30% of the state is Hispanic, the Latino vote has gone strongly for Bennet, a lot of those Latinos are in the Denver suburbs, it may or may not be enough, but it's a strong vote. Yes, the Republicans did, unfortunately in my state, elect a Latina Governor, and in Nevada you had Harry Reid's son, interestingly, lose to a Hispanic Attorney General for Governor there, and Rubio in Florida, but the gains of Democrats with Hispanic voters is gonna stay I believe nationally at about 65% which is a nice cushion going forward towards Obama's re-election.

Olbermann: Is there any way, Governor, to assess, on how many different levels that some of those comments that Sharron Angle made, which she must have thought were working to her advantage, or were overtures to the Hispanic Youths in Nevada, were really just a rake that hit her in the forehead?

Richardson: Well when I was in Reno, I picked up a lot of that, the resentment that they were put in a category that they felt was unfortunate. I saw the same in California, where Meg Whitman had the situation with her maid, where that woman unfortunately was maligned, and I believed that provoked a real reaction among hispanic voters, and so the tendencies of Republicans to be anti-immigrant, against immigration reform, maybe there's some initial benefit in some states, but clearly not among the Latino vote it seems, and it may be costing them the Senate Race in Illinois as well, we'll have to see on that. Yes, they did elect three Hispanics statewide, and there are none from the Democratic Party, I'm gone in January, disappearing, that is a symbolic victory for them, but still the number of Latinos staying with the Democratic Party, will certainly be important for Obama going forward. And of course, Latinos, they just don't care about immigration, where Dems have delivered and I hope we can keep that law in place, but they also care about Jobs, about Education, about the American Dream, and it will be crucial that Obama delivers on that in this next congress.

Matthews: You know Governor, in terms of those Exit polls, looking at ethnicity and age, and it is striking, clearly Angle's appeal at the end was toward the Anglo Voter, the White voter if you will, with that very screeching ad of making Hispanics look like Criminals coming across the border, and yes, you do see, Angle with 58% among White Men, 51% among White Women, but then you go to Hispanics, about 2 to 1 for Harry Reid. And then you go to age, everybody above middle age, voted for her, and everybody, of all groups apparently, younger than that, voted for him. That's a fascinating look and what looks to be the future of the state, it seems to be the Democratic, Nevada.

Richardson: And that becomes crucial for Obama to hold. If he can hold that coalition of young, independent voters of many races, that augurs well for his re-election. And Republicans, having the House, having a majority of governorships, several more seats in the Senate, they can't just be the party of NO!, they're going to have to have their alternative budgets, their alternative proposals, they're going to have to govern, you know I noticed the interview with Marsha Blackburn earlier, she couldn't answer anything beyond a couple of repeal promises, they can't keep doing that, if they do, they'll go down, and we'll be back here two years from now with another Republican debacle like what happened two years ago.

Olbermann: We thank you for your time, Governor Richardson. We're now going to be anticipating a speech from Mr. Reid shortly. We'll continue to keep you updated on Colorado, Illinois, and New York, Democrats with 51 seats with the two independents, but the final margin remains to be seen, stand by for more of our coverage right after this.

-------------------

Olbermann: We return, and tonight, after anyone wins anything, the emailed statements fly back and forth, most of them are not worth the price of paper that you don't print them out on, however there is one to read to you tonight, but here is one worth reading tonight from John Kerry, released after we called Mr. Reid's victory, and the quote, "Politico was wrong, Huffington Post was wrong, Harry Reid isn't just Dracula, he isn't just Lazarus, he's our leader, and our whole caucus is proud that he's unbreakable and unbeatable.

O'Donnell: Yeah Dracula, you always want to be Dracula. Yeah, John Ralston was right about this, the Nevada reporter, he was on my show last night, he wrote a column saying Harry Reid was going to win. But he said Reid would win because of the none of the above option on the ballot, now I suppose combining all of the third party options together with None and Angle slightly outpaces Reid, but None of the Above + Angle falls short of Reid's total, he did not anticipate Reid winning by enough for that to be the case. This is a big win for Mr. Reid.

Olbermann: With that, let me bring in another fact here, the Palin scoreboard, Palin breaking roughly even so far tonight in terms of candidates she endorsed, Angle of course being a candidate she endorsed that did not win, and I will go to Mr. Fineman at the listening post, with how Palin and her partner in these efforts, Jim DeMint, feel about the results.

Fineman: Well, I'm sure they will try to claim credit for all the Republican success tonight, let's not lose sight of the fact, that Republicans gaining more than 65 seats in the House, is historic, but looking back at those dreaded republican insiders, they can't stand either Palin or DeMint, and even though they wanted to win control of the Senate, they are sort of glad to see her lose what was her star candidate in Nevada in Ms. Angle. And they're worried about Demint, because Demint is the inside partner for Palin in the Senate.

O'Donnell: And to go back to Kerry's statement, there is a warning shot in it, to anyone who thinks that maybe Harry Reid should no longer be majority leader, maybe the Democratic Senator from New York who has survived tonight, they should not even think about it.

Olbermann: Well, we have to close out the hour now. 4 Senate races outstanding, three governors chairs, and the polls will be closing in Alaska in just a few minutes, we may have a result there to report, stay with us.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2022, 02:01:03 PM »

1 AM ET

Olbermann: The clock strikes 1 on the east coast. The polls have closed in the state of Alaska. Let's look at the House.

District 1: Young (R) wins 67%-32%

Final House Total: 246 Republicans (+67), 189 Democrats (-67)

So Republicans concluding the night with a total net gain of 67 seats. Certainly has created a formidable majority.

Looking to the Senate, in Alaska, Lisa Murkowski has held on as expected.

Murkowski (R) 48.3%
McAdams (D) 28.5%
Miller (R, Write-In): 22.1%
Others: 1.1%

Also, we can now project that in Colorado, the Republican Jane Norton has defeated the Appointed Democratic Incumbent Michael Bennet. A large dump from the rural areas allowing us to call that.

83% in: Norton (R) 50.5%-45.8%

Final:

Norton (R): 49.2%
Bennet (D): 47.1%
Others: 3.7%

And what we still cannot call:

Illinois (93% in): Kirk(R) 47.68%-47.46%
New York Special (89% in): Gillibrand(D) 49.17%-48.83%

Democrats: 49 (-7)
Republicans: 47 (+7)

Democrats: 51 (-7)
Republicans: 47 (+7)

And among the Governors races, we project that in Alaska, the Republican Mr. Parnell secures his first full term.

Parnell (R) 58.6%
Berkowitz (D) 38.0%
Others: 3.4%

And what we still cannot call:

Oregon (64% in): Dudley (R) 51%-46%
Minnesota (81% in): Dayton (D) 44%, Emmer (R) 42%, Horner (I) 12%

Republicans: 30 (+7)
Democrats: 16 (-9)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2022, 02:29:10 AM »

Olbermann: So, Colorado. That hurts. It's not decisive for the majority of course, but the Democrats really thought they could keep this one. The state is the center of many demographic changes in their favor, they flipped it from a 5 point Bush victory to a 9 point victory for Obama. And they had the benefit of sort of an open race, this wasn't some longtime incumbent, it was an appointee who had a great argument in "I've never been elected to anything, I'm not corrupt like the rest of them are", yet, ultimately, it wasn't enough. Panel?

Sharpton: I think it's just sort of one of those races that just sort of can't outrun the national trend. Bennet did everything just fine, I don't think you can blame him for this. This state is still there for Democrats and this seat will probably flip back when it's up next, it's just in this environment, with the immigration bill fallout and everything else that happened, you're going to see some odd casualties that you wouldn't get in any other year.

O'Donnell: I do think this demonstrates the successes of the establishment versus the tea party. We have Colorado, and we have Nevada. Both are trending in Democrats' way, but are nowhere near safe. Both had an establishment GOP option, and a tea party option. In Colorado, the establishment GOP got its nominee, and won. In Nevada, the tea partier was nominated, and lost. And that sort of follows a general pattern of tonight. The John Raese's, the Carly Fiorina's, the Sharron Angle's, they're not getting in. This country is firmly rejecting the tea party in the senate. But the establishment GOP has been able to take advantage of issues that the tea party helped raise, in line to some large victories. The most significant of which, if they're able to pull it off, would be taking Obama's old seat. Of course, that race, still incredibly tight. But the Tea Party, despite raising these issues, ran candidates so conservative, so out of touch, that they're really not winning outside of House Races, and it's a thankfully stunning defeat for them.

Robinson: Important to remember, as far as the future of the state goes, Democrats are hardly out of power. They did hold the Governorship, they still have a Democrat in the other senate seat, and you know, this race was close. Bennet had a ton of effort against him, to oust him, and it did take us four hours to call the race. I think this is still a state that is very likely to go for Obama, or for Clinton if she does primary him, in two years, and be a very important part of the democratic coalition going forward.

Maddow: Of course, the loss of the House cannot be overstated, the loss of the majority among governorships cannot be overstated, but ultimately, Democrats can be a bit less doomed because of what has not happened, and that is of course keeping control of the Senate. Whatever happens in these remaining races, Harry Reid is going to stay the Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell is going to stay the Minority Leader, Obama can hopefully get additional nominees and judges through, and the senate can help block the extreme stuff that's going to be coming out of the House from even getting to his desk.

Sharpton: The Senate will have to do some legislative business though, there is that pesky debt ceiling...

Olbermann: Sorry to cut in, but this is just coming in right now. Jess Fassler, The Campaign Manager for Kirsten Gillibrand, is about to speak. Gillibrand still clinging to a tiny lead, 49.08%-48.91% with 10% of the state to go, we don't know what is going to be said, but let's listen in.

Fassler: Thank You!

Well Folks, I know we've been here a long time, it's been a long night, and it's been a long campaign. But I can say, we can wait a little longer, can't we?

Trump may take a tiny lead as the late hours wear on, but there are many votes left to count, and every vote should count! The race may swing back and forth as the hours go on. We have many ballots in Suffolk County, where there have been considerable technical difficulties. There are still votes out in Dutchess County, just south of Albany, where we believe we can do well. I know the results in Queens have been concerning, but we remain optimistic about what remains there. Plus, we will insist on a comprehensive review of all provisional ballots. Every vote should count.

So, we're not going to have an ending tonight. So listen, listen to me. Everybody should head home, you should get some sleep. We'll have more to say tomorrow.

I want you all to know and every Gillibrand supporter to know, that your enthusiasm means so much to her and to all of us. We are so proud of you and so proud of her. And she's not done yet! So thank you for being with her, she has always been with you!

Good night, we'll have more to say tomorrow. Let's get those votes counted and bring those votes home!

Thank You!

Olbermann: Well, an interesting move. Again, Gillibrand is still leading with 10% to go. But they're not going to make any victory speech, concession speech, what have you. They're just wrapping up shop for the night over at Kirsten Gillibrand Headquarters. No word from the Trump Headquarters yet on any sort of speech there, we will keep you posted on that. Let's get the latest from Chuck Todd.

Todd:

90% in:
Gillibrand 49.08%
Trump 48.91%

Well, this race continues on, just as they said. Since we last looked, you can see Renesaler and Columbia have come in for Trump which has further narrowed the gap. You see Gray in Dutchess there, where Gillibrand is talking about. We've got 20% of the vote in there, and as we click on it, you can see it's currently an exact tie. That's what the grey signifies. They think they can do well there, I'll give them that it is close to Gillibrand's district, now it's not in it, but still close and it is voting for Schumer and Cuomo for whatever that is worth. But of course, 20% in, means 80% out, and both campaigns will watch that.

The other place that has come in, since we last looked, is the last bit of Brooklyn. So 100% in there. As we said earlier, Manhattan is done counting as is the Bronx. We still have 12% to go in Queens, but with Gillibrand only up 56%-43% there, no guarantees with whatever is left. Going into upstate Gillibrand counties, Albany is done counting, Tompkins is done counting, Monroe is 97% in...but look at that, Gillibrand up by just 600 votes in Monroe. No guarantees for her there in whatever is left.

Of course, the big place that we're all waiting for is Suffolk County. Still just 18% of the vote in there. Gillibrand is up by three percentage points there. They're getting through their technical difficulties, it's a process, but they're getting through it. We'll see what happens there.

Now, an Encouraging thing for Gillibrand is yeah, you see all this blue for Donald Trump. But when you look at it, Nassau, 100% in. Staten Island, 100% in. Westchester, we've got a 94% in there so a bit left but not much. Click through these upstate counties - 100% in there, 100% in here, 100% in here, got a 98% in Syracuse, but 100% in Buffalo, 100% just north of it - you get the picture. Most of the Trump Vote is in. So if Gillibrand can hold her own in the rest of Suffolk, Dutchess, and Queens - a big if, but if she can do it - there isn't much elsewhere, so then you get into an extraordinarily close contest and the recounts and the lawsuits run wild and those provisional ballots can certainly come into play. And that's obviously what she's hoping to make it to. We'll keep watching and see what happens.

What this really makes clear - for all those people that say your vote doesn't count, just look at the state of New York. Every Vote counts, and we're seeing that in action right here in Hillary Clinton's old seat.

Olbermann: Thank you Chuck. We'll be right back after a short break. Stay with us.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2022, 02:35:12 AM »

I think it's rather obvious that where you're going is either:

A: Trump caucusing with the Democrats

B. Lieberman switching parties
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length