A Different Big Accomplishment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:10:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Big Accomplishment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: A Different Big Accomplishment  (Read 10631 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:51:06 AM »

*My general principle here will be one update to this for every two to "Democratic Revival"*

December 17, 2009 - The White House

Obama - Look, Senator Nelson, we gave you this on abortion, and this on medicaid...why are you being so difficult here?

Ben Nelson - As I told you weeks ago, I cannot vote for this as long as republicans stand universally opposed. When I go home to my state, I can't tell them I voted for this partisan health care bill. I gave you guys offers because I thought these were the sorts of things that could win back Snowe, but it apparently isn't. I'm voting against this bill because it's not bipartisan.

Reid - Senator Grassley literally wrote certain amendments in this thing. Snowe voted for it in committee. Republicans are being whipped into opposition by the Tea Party, it doesn't mean that this bill isn't bipartisan.

Nelson - It doesn't look very bipartisan when the vote in both houses of congress is along party lines. That's what my state will look at. If I vote for this bill, I lose reelection. You know that, I know that, every voter in Nebraska knows that. And that could be the loss that gives the republicans the senate. Just give up on this. You may have whipped Feingold and Leiberman into voting for this, but I'm standing firm.

Obama - Please...

Reid - But...

Nelson - You'll be thanking me for this later. Passing this bill will doom the party electorally. If we don't pass it, we will win many races that we otherwise would have lost.

Obama - If we can find a republican to vote for this on the floor, will you change your vote?

Nelson - If there are 60 votes, I will not stand in the way. But I refuse to provide the deciding vote for a partisan bill.

Reid - I'm sorry I have to do this - but Nelson, if you don't get in line like Feingold and Lieberman did - you are fired from your chairmanship of the Subcommittee of Strategic Force and the Subcommittee on Legislative Branch. Furthermore, you will be removed entirely from the Committee on Armed Services. If you vote against this, you're being selfish and deserve to suffer. And I'm not pulling this. I'll hold the vote even if failure is certain. The choice is yours.

Nelson - I don't respond to threats

Reid - It's not a threat. I'm being serious. Someone needs to get you back in line.

Obama - There are times when you have to vote for something you don't like. It's part of being a senator. You'll be glad this passed in a few years. And we can find a way for you to win reelection.

Nelson - Again, I don't respond to threats. This discussion is over.

*Nelson walks out of the room*

Obama - Will you actually hold a vote that will fail on the floor?

Reid - This isn't over. I'm going to try to get Snowe or somebody on the republican side. But as I said, I will hold the vote regardless. And if he votes no, he will be punished as I said.

-----------------------

Reid's efforts to cajole, half-hypnotize, and even outright bribe republicans into voting yes failed. But he still held the christmas eve vote as promised. Nelson voted as he said he would. The bill failed on a filibuster, 59-40, falling just one vote short of the 60 required, and Reid immediately announced Nelson's punishment on the floor of the senate.

And just like that, ObamaCare had failed. Health Care Reform was Dead.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »

I love this. Stripping Nelson of his positions is so Reid-ish.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »

This is on my radar.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 07:37:38 PM »

Obamacare=Hillarycare TTL. Looking forward to where this TL goes!
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:46:35 PM »

Late December 2009/Early January 2010

Congress raises debt ceiling

In a short and unusual late December session, Congress raised the debt ceiling to $12,394,000,000,000.00. Another increase will be needed at some point in the next few months.

Obama and Reid engage in hours long conversation on Skype

Obama's annual Christmas vacation to Hawaii included more than just time to relax. Obama and Reid spent hours discussing the way forward on policy now that health care reform is dead. Reporters were not informed of the content of the discussion, but anonymous aides leaked to the media that the discussion included immigration and tax reform proposals, and also included discussion of whether the DSCC should try to primary Ben Nelson when he is next up for election in 2012.

Sanders proposes Single-Payer Health Care Bill

Along with a statement declaring that "Health Care Reform is not dead!", Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I/D) criticizes the democratic party for taking the wrong path to reform from the beginning, and releases a bill which would put the United States under a single payer system. Under the bill, Health Care would be completely paid for by the government for most services, with private insurance completely banned. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island, and Sen. Jeff Merkley of Oregon are listed as Cosponsors.

Critical Massachusetts Special Election tightening

The democrats filibuster proof majority will be put to a test in a special election in Massachusetts on January 19 to replace deceased Sen. Ted Kennedy (D) (Democrat Paul Kirk has filled the seat temporarily). Polls taken earlier in the cycle showed Democrat Martha Coakley leading Republican Scott Brown by margins of 54%-24%, 58%-32%, and 58%-27%. However, the Boston Globe has released a new poll showing Coakley up by 'only' 51%-33%, with 5% going to an independent candidate. While a republican win is very unlikely, a narrow-ish democratic win would also be bad news for democrats in this very democratic state.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 01:07:36 AM »

January 2010

Massachusetts Special Election continues to be fascinating

In the final weeks of the Massachusetts special election, the race appears to be very close. It started when Rasmussen released a one day survey on January 5 showing Coakley ahead by only 50 percent to 40 percent. Then just a few days later, Public Policy Polling, a democratic-leaning pollster, showed Coakley ahead by just 49 percent to 46 percent. Further polling showed everything from a Coakley lead of six points to a Brown lead of two points. It seems unlikely but possible that Brown could pull a historic upset here. Pundits declare a race a referendum on Obama (who has a lukewarm approval rating as of the day before the January 19 election, at 50 percent to 44 percent), and on the failure to enact major health care legislation.

Obama Press Secretary says immigration is next on the agenda

At a press conference on January 15th, Sec. Robert Gibbs says that the Obama administration is moving on to comprehensive immigration reform, and that health care is off the table. Gibbs expresses the administration's view that health care had its chance, it failed, and now the right thing to do is accept that reform isn't happening for health care in this congress and move on to another item. He also says that the Obama administration will be addressing Tax Policy, including discussions on whether to preserve the bush tax cuts past the end of 2010, and a possible decrease to the corporate tax.

Hillary Clinton blasts Obama for health care failure

Sec. Clinton manages to find a day to go to New York and make a big speech about how Obama was a  complete failure from the start on health care and how she would have gotten it done on day 1. She says she is considering how long she really wants to continue being secretary of state given the fact that the administration is failing, and gives hints that she may be considering challenging Obama for the 2012 democratic presidential nomination.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

This is looking very interesting.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 09:51:17 PM »

January 2010 Contined

Martha Coakley narrowly wins Massachusetts Special Senate Election

In an unusual move for the strongly democratic state, Democrat Martha Coakley defeated Republican Scott Brown by an incredibly embarrassing margin of 48 percent to 46 percent, the closest senate race in the state in several decades. The incredibly narrow margin of victory is interpreted by some pundits as the result of a democratic base disappointed at the failure of health care reform, and by others as a warning to dems to never try to pass health care reform again. Many wonder how dems can hold senate seats in Pennsylvania, Illinois, Colorado, and Nevada in the upcoming 2010 midterm elections when they can't even win strongly democratic Massachusetts by a comfortable margin.

Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham cautiously supportive of Large Scale immigration reform plan

Moderate Republican Sens. McCain and Graham released a joint statement saying that while they are  skeptical that Obama will actually come up with a good plan on immigration, they are looking forward to considering a "reasonable large scale plan".

Sanders single payer bill gains additional sponsors

Newly elected Sen. Martha Coakley has cosponsored the single payer health care bill released by Sen. Sanders. Sens. Ron Wyden, Barbara Boxer, Jeanne Shaheen, and Patrick Leahy have also signed on to the plan. This brings the plan to 9 supporters out of the 60 it would need to pass the senate.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

February 2010

Obama Gives State of the Union Address

Obama's first official state of the union address was given on Tuesday, February 9th. Following with the official Obama administration view that neither congress nor he would discuss health care reform, the address did not include a word directly related to it, although there was a line about how senators should "abandon lofty goals on dead issues and focus on what can pass", which many viewed as an attack on the Sanders plan. Obama spent most of the speech advocating extensively for comprehensive immigration reform and also threw around other smaller policy ideas. He also congratulated Martha Coakley on her election to the senate and emphasized the importance of democrats retaining their filibuster proof majority indefinitely.

In the republican response by Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, while he thanks Obama for giving up on health care reform, he makes it very clear that nothing great has changed in the republican relationship with Obama and that Obama will do nothing good to help the country.

Senate Creates Gang to handle Immigration Reform

A "Gang" of Senators Bill Nelson(D), Blanche Lincoln(D), Jeff Bingaman(D), John McCain(R), John Cornyn(R), Tom Udall(D), Mary Landrieu(D), and Mark Pryor(D) has been formed to create a comprehensive immigration plan. They will finish their work in March or April.

Trump for Senate?

"Apprentice" host Donald J. Trump has been brought up as a possible candidate to run against Appointed Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, who faces a special election in november to fill out the remainder of the unexpired term of Former Sen. Hillary Clinton. Trump has not denied the speculation and there are limited signs that he is considering potential campaign staff.

Sanders Plan up to 10 supporters

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown has signed on to the Sanders single-payer plan, bringing it to 10 of the 60 votes it would need to pass the senate.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »

February 2010 continued

Hillary continues to drop hints about resigning

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently said in an interview with the Washington Post that she is "considering all options regarding her future", and "taking the performance of the Obama administration very seriously". She gave similar comments in an interview with Keith Olbermann of MSNBC. Meanwhile, a poll of a hypothetical primary shows Obama with 58% of the vote and Clinton with 28% of the vote. In other hypotheticals, Obama has a 76%-9% advantage over Sanders, a 79%-5% advantage over John Edwards, a 69%-10% advantage over a "Generic More Liberal Opponent", and an 88%-3% advantage over a "Generic More Conservative Opponent".

Obama's approvals remain positive

Despite the criticism he is receiving from Hillary Clinton, and parts of the liberal wing of his party believing that the health care debate is not over, Obama has an approval rating of 50 percent to 45 percent as of February 25th.

Democrats in strong position for next special election

The next special election will be in the 19th congressional district of Florida on April 13th, 2010, to replace Former Rep. Robert Wexler, who resigned on January 3, 2010 to become the President of the S. Daniel Abraham Center for Middle East Peace. The latest poll shows Democrat Ted Deutch leading Republican Edward Lynch by 60 percent to 30 percent.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »

March 2010

Congress raises debt ceiling

The debt ceiling was raised to $14,294,000,000,000.00, which will be sufficient until some point in 2011.

House advances immigration and tax bills

The house of representatives advanced a large scale immigration bill, providing for additional border security funding, additional work visas, the full DREAM act, and a seven year path to citizenship for the undocumented. It passed along party lines, 253-177. The house also passed a bill that would extend the bush tax cuts permanently for singles making <$150,000 and couples making less than <$175,000, while ending them for everyone else. This passed 240-190. Either bill would need to be passed by the senate before it could be signed by President Obama.

Senate Immigration Gang "reaching real solutions"

While the senate immigration gang has yet to finish its work, so far all reports are that the group of 6 democrats and 2 republicans are "reaching real solutions", though it is not at all clear what these solutions are. Meanwhile, Obama makes clear that he wants a bill on his desk before the memorial day recess, stating that it is important to have an accomplishment to stress on the campaign trail early enough to create a narrative that will allow the democrats to keep their house majority and senate filibuster-proof majority in the 2010 elections.

Primary Challenger to Ben Nelson declares candidacy

State Senator Steve Lathrop has declared that he will run against Ben Nelson in 2012 in the democratic primary, saying that Nelson has failed the people of the state of Nebraska by being the vote that sunk health care reform. He says that he would sign on to the Sanders single payer plan if elected. There are eyebrows raised at the rather early nature of this entry, but Lathrop simply says that he knows running against Nelson will be tough and so he must establish support very early on.

Sanders Plan up to 12 supporters

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and Senator Maria Cantwell of Washington State have signed onto the Sanders single-payer plan, bringing it to 12 supporters out of the 60 it would need to pass the senate. The other 10 supporters are Kirsten Gillibrand, Jack Reed, Jeff Merkley, Martha Coakley, Ron Wyden, Barbara Boxer, Jeanne Shaheen, Patrick Leahy, Sherrod Brown, and of course Sanders himself.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »

I can't see Wyden signing on to single-payer. Remember he helped author a semi-privatization of Medicare. Anyway, this different big accomplishment gives me an idea.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 01:41:55 AM »

March 2010 continued

Donald Trump declares candidacy in Special Senate Election

"Apprentice" host Donald J. Trump has declared his candidacy for the republican nomination for the New York Special Senate Election. If he wins the primary over Former Congressman Joseph Dioguardi and Economist David Malpass, he will face appointed Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand in the general election. Mr. Trump announced his candidacy to a crowd of 7,237 people in Trump Tower, though some were rumored to be paid actors pretending to be supporters. He won headlines for criticizing Dioguardi's face, calling Malpass "low energy", and declaring he would release a "real republican health care plan" on his first day in the Senate.

Obama breaking even

On average, the country currently approves of Obama by 49 percent to 47 percent. Asked how they would vote in a redo of the 2008 election, Obama is selected by a margin of 48 percent to 44 percent.

Obama Press Secretary says that any rumors of Clinton resigning are complete and utter bullsh**t

In a rare instance of a government official actually swearing, in response to a question regarding whether the rumors that Hillary Clinton may resign in order to primary challenge Obama in 2012 are true, the Secretary says "Now which leaker told you that? Hillary Clinton is extremely committed to her job and is very enthusiastic about Obama's policies. She accepts the fact that health care reform is dead. Anything you hear about her resigning is complete and utter bullsh**t. I can personally promise you that she will not resign, and if these supposed leaks are coming from someone in the administration, I can assure you that they will be disciplined."

FL-19 Special continues to look good for democrats

The latest poll in the upcoming Florida 19 special election shows Democrat Ted Deutch leading Republican Edward Lynch by 57 percent to 36 percent.

Reid endorses Ben Nelson for re-election

In an early boost to Nelson's 2012 re-election campaign, Reid has endorsed Nelson over his primary challenger, saying that being kicked off the Armed Services Committee was sufficient punishment, and that there is no need to punish Nelson further by trying to remove him from office. The endorsement is fiercely criticized by Senator Bernie Sanders.

Sanders single payer plan gains 2 supporters

On March 31st, Tom Udall of New Mexico and Mark Udall of Colorado release a joint statement endorsing the Sanders Plan. It now has 14 supporters out of the 60 it would need to pass the senate.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2017, 09:51:33 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

April 2010

Democrats win Florida 19th Special Election

As expected, Democrats held the Florida 19th district in a special election, winning by 59 percent to 38 percent.

Early 2012 Primary Polls show definite frontrunners

In the first national poll of the 2012 republican primary, published by PPP, Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney leads with 24 percent to 15 percent for Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani, 13 percent for Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, 10 percent for Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels, 8 percent for Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, 6 percent for Texas Rep. Ron Paul, 5 Percent for Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, 4 percent for Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, 1 percent for Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, 1 percent for Ambassador to China and former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman, and 13 percent Undecided/Other.

A potential democratic primary was also polled, with the following results:

Obama: 56%
Clinton: 29%

Obama: 74%
Sanders: 10%

Obama: 81%
Edwards: 6%

Obama: 67%
"Someone More Liberal": 14%

Obama: 90%
"Someone More Conservative": 2%

Donald Trump polling "well for a republican" against Sen. Gillibrand

A poll of the New York Special Senate Race shows that Republicans best option is to nominate Donald Trump in the September 14th primary. Gillibrand is ahead of Trump 55-38, but Gillibrand leads DioGuardi 59-34, and leads Malpass 62-30.

Jeff Bingaman endorses Sanders single-payer Plan

With the support of Mr. Bingaman, the legislation has 1/4 of the votes needed to pass the senate, but democratic leaders Harry Reid and Dick Durbin, as well as Health Committee Chairman Tom Harkin, have so far completely ignored the effort, siding with the view of President Obama that health care reform is dead. It is unclear what sort of support would be needed for leadership to authorize a committee hearing on the legislation.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 10:20:43 PM »

April 2010 continued

Senate Gang releases immigration reform plan

By a vote of 7-1 (all 6 democrats and McCain, Cornyn Against), the senate immigration gang released a comprehensive plan that would dramatically reform US immigration:

- Streamlines legal immigration by relaxing regulations on eligibility for a green card and citizenship for those not in the country illegally, and adding additional federal jobs to make the process move faster.
- $4 Billion for additional border security funding, including additional fencing.
- Tax Deduction for companies that use e-verify
- Minor Sanctions on "sanctuary cities"
- Full Implementation of the DREAM Act
- For those in the country illegally not covered by the DREAM Act and who have not committed a crime that is not a petty misdemeanor while in the country (anyone who has committed such a crime is to be deported immediately), a path to citizenship over 10 years.

Within the next several days, support quickly rises to 47 of the 60 democratic senators (the other 13 say it is not liberal enough), and 4 republican senators (McCain, Snowe, Graham, and Collins). The plan is referred to committee for writing of an official bill and wrangling out 9 more votes to reach 60 and surpass a filibuster effort being led by Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama.

Donald Trump in close race with DioGuardi in special election primary

The latest polling averages to about 36% for Mr. DioGuardi, 33% for Mr. Trump, 19% for Mr. Malpass, and 12% undecided. The primary will be held on September 14. Mr. Trump has repeatedly called the polling fake news, pointing to his crowd size, saying it shows that he is actually in the lead, and by double digits, and suggesting that Sen. Gillibrand is working with the polling companies in an attempt to discourage his supporters from voting. He has also come out against the Senate's immigration plan, even saying that Mr. McCain's support of it goes to show he is not an american hero, but an american embarrassment.

Obama's approvals turn sour

As the midterm campaigns heat up, Obama's approvals fall underwater. His approval rating is now 47-49, indicating a possible tough battle in the fall for house and senate democrats. The GOP has recently been suggesting they could take the house and significantly narrow the senate, though DNC chair Tim Kaine has laughed at those claims on live tv while maintaining that the democrats will have a net gain in the senate.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2017, 01:07:53 AM by Dwarven Dragon »

May 2010

Trump creates fake Gillibrand/Media Scandal

When asked in an interview how he can turn around his 17 point deficit to Sen. Gillibrand should he win the republican special senate nomination, Trump responds: "Well, part of it is the fact that a 17 point deficit simply doesn't exist in this race. Sen. Gillibrand has paid off pollsters to show the race at a different state than it really is. Gillibrand may be ahead right now, but it is a small lead and it will go away as Obama continues to tank. Maybe if your boss stopped taking bribes from Sen. Gillibrand...." At this point the interviewer, who worked with CNN, literally rolled her eyes and said "That's not happening..." Trump interrupted: "Oh, yes it is, you know the transaction. $700 deposit for "recreational activities" in New York City. That's the bribe Sen. Gillibrand paid you!" The interviewer responded "What?" To which Trump said: "Go ahead. Look at your financial sheets and you'll see what I'm talking about." The interview was quickly ended, but CNN was forced to show that there was a payment to them for $900 with that description, but it was a completely unrelated matter from a year ago and had nothing to do with the Gillibrand campaign. Whether Trump had previous knowledge of that or whether he simply made a lucky guess was unclear. Trump soon said at multiple rallies that "Whether it's a bribe or not, they can't say it is, so we have to assume it's a bribe. And Sen. Gillibrand, she would never admit to committing a crime. Democrats don't believe in the law! Look at this crowd! How can you be struggling to reach 40% and have crowds this big?!? It's logistically impossible! Listen to me, Sen. Gillibrand is paying these media pollsters off and the only way to stop it is to speak out against it! Tell your family, your friends, your neighbors, even your worst enemies, the polling is rigged!". Trump repeated similar claims in TV ads, particularly the "Democrats don't believe in the law!" part, which he had no direct proof for but just kept repeating over and over again to make stick. Gillibrand screamed that the whole matter was a conspiracy of lies, which was true, but Trump's response was simple, and also true - that whether he had created a conspiracy of lies or not, Gillibrand had to say it was to stay alive in the campaign. Things got worse for Gillibrand when a news station that apparently wasn't completely in the tank for her asked if she would confess if the conspiracy had any truth to it. Gillibrand dodged initially, but when pressed, accidentally said "No..", before immediately realizing her mistake and saying no more. Trump effectively used this as "proof" he was telling the truth. By the end of the month, Gillibrand's lead in the polls dropped from 55-38 to 52-42. Trump now has a strong lead in the republican primary, polling at 47 percent to 29 percent for Mr. DioGuardi and 14 percent for Mr. Malpass, with 10 percent undecided. Gillibrand leads a potential general election with DioGuardi 57-36, and a potential general election with Malpass 60-34.

Sen. Herb Kohl endorses Sanders single-payer plan

It now has 16 supporters out of the 60 it would need to pass the senate.

Hillary Clinton resigns as Secretary of State

Citing increased disagreements with her 2008 primary rival, Clinton leaves the Secretary of State Position, effective May 20. In a televised address just before her resignation takes effect, she endorses the Sanders single payer plan.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »

Late May 2010

Obama, Reid, Harkin declare Hillary Clinton a "poor excuse for a democrat"

Following her resignation and endorsement of the Sanders plan, President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Reid, and Senate Health Committee Chairman Tom Harkin release a joint statement saying that Clinton's endorsement of the Sanders plan does not change the fact that health care reform is dead for the rest of the Obama Presidency. It refers to the Sanders plan as a "Draconian, non-viable, ridiculous piece of legislation that would do far more harm than good", and refers to Clinton as a "poor excuse for a Democrat" and "someone who we are glad to see leave the SOS position". The statement also clearly states that Reid and Harkin will endorse Obama over any primary challenger.

All 40 republican senators issue joint letter stating opposition to the Sanders plan

No republican support was expected for the Sanders plan, but it's completely clear there won't be any now. A letter signed by all 40 republican senators states that the Sanders plan is a "disgusting, communist, futile, and un-american" attempt at reforming the health care system.

Sen. Daniel Inouye supports the Sanders plan

With the support of Inouye, the bill has 17 of the 60 votes it would need to pass the senate. However, with at least 42 votes against the legislation (All Rs, Harkin, Reid), it is currently incapable of reaching the 60 vote threshold.

Hillary says she's "open to anything" on Presidential Run

While not committing to anything, Hillary said she is "looking at all options, and am certainly open to anything that would help people in this country" when asked by Jake Tapper if she is considering primary challenging Obama in 2012.

Mitt Romney praises democratic division while dodging the question on '12

In an interview with Chris Wallace, Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney says the democrats should "remain divided on health care and other issues" to hand republicans a victory in the November midterm elections. He refused to answer a question on whether he plans to run for President in 2012.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »

June 2010

Tea Party goes 1-1 in Key Primary Elections

In a blow to establishment republicans, Sharron Angle wins the Nevada Republican Senate nomination over establishment candidate Sue Lowden. But in Colorado, there is a collective sigh of relief, as Jane Norton defeats Ken Buck 51%-49%, getting republicans their preferred candidate to take on Democratic Sen. Michael Bennett.

Immigration reform passes the Senate on a nearly party line vote, goes to house

After failing to rangle enough republican votes, Democrats decide to nix the Sanctuary Cities Sanctions to get the votes of the 13 members of their caucus dissatisfied with the original legislation to sign on. The bill passes the Senate by a vote of 62-38, with border state dem Mary Landrieu voting No, but republican senators Olympia Snowe, John McCain, and Lindsey Graham voting Yes.

The passed bill does the following:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The bill now goes to the house of representatives.

Democrats currently trailing in all possible 2010 senate pickup opportunities, per current RCP averages:

LA:

David Vitter (R): 51%
Charlie Melancon (D): 41%

MO:

Roy Blunt (R): 51%
Robin Carnahan (D): 43%

NC:

Richard Burr (R): 49%
Elaine Marshall (D): 44%

KY:

Rand Paul (R): 47%
Jack Conway (D): 42%

AK:

Lisa Murkowski (R): 60%
Scott McAdams (D): 32%

Joe Miller (R): 54%
Scott McAdams (D): 38%

AZ:

John McCain (R): 54%
Rodney Glassman (D): 36%

J.D. Hayworth (R): 48%
Rodney Glassman (D): 40%

FL:

Charlie Crist (R): 53%
Kendrick Meek (D): 36%

Marco Rubio (R): 49%
Kendrick Meek (D): 41%

NH:

Kelly Ayotte (R): 52%
Paul Hodes (D): 40%

Ovide Lamontage (R): 45%
Paul Hodes (D): 42%

OH:

Rob Portman (R): 44%
Lee Fisher (D): 41%

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 11:55:10 PM »

June 2010 Continued

Republicans in strong positions in several senate pickup opportunities per RCP averages:

IN:

Dan Coats (R): 49%
Brad Ellsworth (D): 41%

WV:

Joe Manchin (D): 49%
John Raese (R): 36%

AR:

John Boozman (R): 47%
Blanche Lincoln (D): 42%

ND:

John Hoeven (R): 65%
Tracy Potter (D): 24%

WI:

Russ Feingold (D): 48%
Ron Johnson (R): 45%

IL:

Alexi Giannoulias (D): 47%
Mark Kirk (R): 42%

PA:

Pat Toomey (R): 47%
Joe Sestak (D): 44%

CO:

Sue Lowden (R): 46%
Michael Bennett (D): 45%

NV:

Harry Reid (D): 48%
Sharron Angle (R): 44%

DE:

Mike Castle (R): 51%
Chris Coons (D): 45%

Chris Coons (D): 52%
Christine O'Donnell (R): 37%

NY Special:

Kirsten Gillibrand (D): 51%
Donald  Trump (R): 43%

Kirsten Gillibrand (D): 58%
Joseph DioGuardi (R): 35%

Kirsten Gillibrand (D): 61%
David Malpass (R): 34%

WA:

Patty Murray (D): 49%
Dino Rossi (R): 44%

CA:

Barbara Boxer (D): 51%
Carly Fiorina (R): 42%

Hillary Clinton makes several paid speeches about her time as SOS

Since resigning from the Secretary of State position, Hillary has become a featured speaker across the country, and has been paid by various groups to make speeches, including some with ties to Wall Street. At these speeches, while she does speak about her time spent abroad, she also frequently criticizes Obama, often calling him "The Worst President since Herbert Hoover" and "Someone who makes Jimmy Carter look like the best president of all time".

Michael Bloomberg endorses Donald Trump for Senate

In a shock to the political world, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I) endorses Donald Trump over Kirsten Gillibrand in the New York Senate Race. He says that Gillibrand is "hopelessly out of touch with all americans" and that Trump will "usher in a new era of American Greatness" if he is elected to the Senate.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »

July 2010

Trump lays out broad immigration platform

In a speech in Buffalo, NY, Trump surprised observers by saying, if elected to the senate, he would pursue the building of a wall across the U.S.-Mexico Border, as well as the U.S.-Canada Border. He said it would "protect not only New York, but all citizens of this great nation.". In another part of his remarks he said that "Mexicans and Canadians aren't bringing their best. They're not bringing you. They're not bringing the common citizen. They're bringing drug dealers, extremists, rapists, murderers - and they're just not safe to let in." But he later appeared more conciliatory, expressing openness for a path to legal status for those already in the country, but stressing "We cannot let one more immigrant creep over the border".

Democratic Analysts initially welcome the remarks, believing it will allow Gillibrand to run away with the race. Some of Trump's supporters even say he should apologize for being so brazen before it is too late. But later that night, Trump releases several tweets saying "Look, all politicians know what I say is true. But they won't say it because they've been bought by corporate interests. Every politician in existence, especially Kirsten Gillibrand herself, is a corporatist. A corporatist. Every single one of them. I alone am free of corporate influence, and can see the truth. I won't lie to you, because I can't be bought! I'll say what's true, while Kirsten Gillibrand lies because she's nothing but a disgusting corporatist who sees you, sees you, as nothing but a tool to use to her own ends." He repeats these sentiments at a rally two days later. And amazingly, it seems to work, with the polls staying about the same. Liberals quickly switch gear and go to their favorite issue, abortion, suggesting that Trump would outlaw it. But Trump immediately refutes this by saying he has "no social agenda" and "no litmus test on anything." He goes on to say "You know, the average american, they aren't energized by abortion, they're energized by a promise of economic prosperity. Obama and Gillibrand have led us into an irreparable decline that I alone can fix." Those two sentences are repeated over and over again, along with calling Kirsten Gillibrand a corporatist over and over again. By the end of the month, polls have narrowed to Gillibrand 50-45, and the campaign earns the endorsements of Former Governor George Pataki (R), Albany Mayor Gerald Jennings (D), Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano (R) and Former Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano (D).

Single Payer up to 19 Supporters

Hawaii Sen. Daniel Akaka and Maryland Sen. Ben Cardin are the latest to support the bill. The other 17 supporters are Kirsten Gillibrand, Jack Reed, Jeff Merkley, Martha Coakley, Ron Wyden, Barbara Boxer, Jeanne Shaheen, Patrick Leahy, Sherrod Brown, Sheldon Whitehouse, Maria Cantwell, Tom Udall, Mark Udall, Jeff Bingaman, Herb Kohl, Daniel Inouye, and of course Sanders himself.

Obama Approvals Underwater

The current Obama Approval rating is 47-50, though polls indicate the electorate that will come out on election day 2010 may approve of him by several points less than his national average.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 09:53:41 PM »

July 2010 Continued

House Passes Senate Immigration Bill

The House narrowly passed the Senate's immigration bill by a vote of 222-213, with a number of vulnerable dems having been given permission to vote No. The bill is quickly signed by President Obama and is touted by his supporters as a great accomplishment, especially after the failure to pass ObamaCare.

However, the republican attack line is fast and quick. While 3 senate republicans and 2 house republicans voted for the legislation, the attack line treats the legislation as a "Partisan Sham" that "will not help real americans". It also goes after the legislation's failure to crack down on sanctuary cities, and its granting of "amnesty".  A particularly effective line refers to Obama as the "crime allower" and also suggests that he only supports this policy because he is the from the "disgraced Chicago Libtard Bastion". Some tea-partiers also suggest that Obama supports this policy because he was actually born in Kenya and was actually an illegal immigrant at one point in time.

Hillary Clinton, at Gillibrand campaign rally, says Gillibrand agrees with her about Obama being terrible

In yet another attack on Obama, Hillary sells Gillibrand to NY voters as a "real anti-Obama democrat" who "will protect you from Obama". She also says that Gillibrand agrees with her that Obama is the worst president since Hoover. The material from the rally is repurposed by republicans for television ads in Senate and House races in other states across the country.

Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty planning a run in 2012?

Gov. Pawlenty, who is not running for re-election, has spent much of 2010 out of the state, campaigning for various candidates in Iowa, Michigan, Colorado, and Ohio, key states in both the primary and general election. When asked about a 2012 Presidential run, he dodges the question, but also says stuff like "I'm open to whatever God may have in store".

Vice President Biden predicts Immigration Bill will do wonders for 2010 democratic campaign

Vice President Biden suggests in a press conference that the Immigration Bill will do wonders for Obama's approvals and potentially even allow for a gain in the Senate and House by the democratic party. The prediction is discredited by Republicans and Pessimistic Democrats as a "ridiculous exaggeration".

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »

I'm interested.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »

August 2010

Sen. Blanche Lincoln tries to make Hillary attacks on Obama into a positive

After actually seeing her poll numbers worsen following her vote for the immigration bill, Sen. Blanche Lincoln attempts to distance herself from Obama by saying she agrees with Hillary about how terrible Obama is. Unfortunately, even after making a TV ad, her numbers do not move at all, and it seems to suggest that no one in Arkansas actually believes Blanche Lincoln hates Obama. It doesn't help that Hillary has a 43/55 favorability rating in her former home state.

Obama Approval Ratings up slightly, but not necessarily in battleground states

Following the immigration bill's passage, Obama's approval ratings go from 47-50 to 51-46 nationally, but local polling suggests his approval rating has remained stagnant in most of the key battlegrounds for the Senate, with the bulk of the bounce coming from his approvals in Liberal States going even higher than they were already. It does help out a tad in the Illinois, Nevada, and Pennsylvania races, but not elsewhere. It would have helped in New York, but Hillary forcing Gillibrand into an Anti-Obama composure means that the senate race stays about the same.

Florida, Arizona, Alaska Primaries

(Crist did not drop out of the primary in this universe)

In three key primaries, the establishment mostly got what they wanted. While Marco Rubio defeated Charlie Crist in the Florida Primary 54-42 percent (Crist quickly confirmed he would NOT run in the general as an independent), Lisa Murkowski held on in her primary against Joe Miller by a 52-48 margin, and Sen. McCain defeated challenger J.D. Hayworth by a 30 point landslide in Arizona. The establishment still has two key tests to get through - The September primaries in Delaware and New Hampshire.

Rep. Al Green introduces Single-Payer Bill in the House of Representatives

Just like the Senate Bill, the House Bill would make all private insurance illegal and create a universal, complusory, government-run system, with most services having no cost to the patient. A key difference between the bills is how the new system would be paid for - while the Senate Bill relies on a multi-pronged approach of an increased capital gains tax, wall street speculation tax, and a second 20% income tax on income over $1,000,000 (paid in addition to regular income tax), the house bill would rely solely on a massive income tax increase, resulting in a 5 bracket system of 10-25-40-55-63.

The House Bill is instantly co-sponsored by 54 of the most liberal house democrats.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »

September 2010

September Primaries: Republican Establishment + Trump emerge victorious

Kelly Ayotte defeated Ovide Lamontage in the key New Hampshire primary by 41 percent to 36 percent. In Delaware, in the closest contest of the season, Mike Castle narrowly defeated Christine O'Donnell by a margin of 214 votes. In New York, Donald Trump dominated the primary, defeating his nearest challenger by 24 percent, and winning every county and borough except for a few very conservative counties upstate. Trump hailed this as showing the voice of moderate voters, saying "Corporate Gillibrand Democrats hate my candidacy, Conservatives hate my candidacy, but the moderates love me and that's what will allow me to win!" Shortly following the primary, a group of blue dog democrat NY legislators endorse Trump. In their endorsement, they cite Hillary's statement that Obama is the worst president since Hoover (and thus should not be given a mandate with the election of Gillibrand), and use the fact that the most conservative counties refused to back Trump in the primary as evidence that Trump is a moderate leader "who will make New York great again!"

Republicans viciously attack Democrats on immigration bill

The immigration bill finds itself under vicious attack throughout September. The most popular attack focuses on the failure to include sanctions on sanctuary cities in the bill, but another noteworthy attack is using the fact that Senator Mary Landrieu voted No to attack the other 59 dems who all voted Yes. The line for the Colorado race is: "Even Extreme Obama Liberal Mary Landrieu voted No on Obama's amnesty bill. But Senator Michael Bennett supported it. He's just too liberal for us." The attack on it being a "partisan sham" is also used. By the end of the month, Obama's approvals have plunged from 51-46 to 47-51, and the bill has become unpopular among a majority of americans.
MycroftCZ

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »

Liking this so far... keep writing!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies